PDA

View Full Version : To camp or not to camp, that is the question.

upsman_17
03-14-2012, 08:38 AM
Ok, here is my problem. I am level 95 and the plan was to keep farming M4's until DD's opened up I think level 103. Now that M4's are nerfed, trying to figure out what the plan should be. Logically it would be to level up quickly (new event should make this easier) and start farming the DD's, but a couple issues complicate things:

1) Economy - early in the game I was very defense building oriented as I thought that would be the key later in the game. Wrong move apparently as everyone knows defense buildings to be smoke and mirrors. So I didn't start to really develop my economy until about level 50-60. As of now it is only
$32K/Hr not horrible, but not great. So now that M4's are nerfed this would be a good time to camp a bit and build up economy. This decision would be made easier if I knew the answer to the next question.

2) The unresolved question - will the DD's be nerfed? Funzio has already commented that they are reviewing this item as well. I don't want to quickly level and lose out on potential camping time only to have them nerf a weapon I saved up for 1-2 weeks to unlock. A quick decision by funzio on this matter would be greatly appricated by myself and many other forum members as there has GOT to be some modicum of planning/strategizing by players in this game or it losing its appeal very quickly.

What do you guys think?

On a side note, got to say, I'm not really "feeling" this new event. I will not waste money and buy gold to reset timers or have the automatic open wall safe, so with only 5.5 days left it doesn't seem like I would have much of a chance to get the 10 emerald prize, although I would love the no deposit fee feature. I've attempted 8 medium chance opens with no opens so far :(, I know small sample size. Hey Funzio, can I trade you the +1 respect feature I recieved for getting the diamond sig and replace that with the no-banking? I know, fat chance you'd do it, but......."It'd be a lot cooler if you did (In Matthew McConoughey's voice)".

CounterSniper
03-14-2012, 08:41 AM
What are your att/def stats, the sharks get big at 100.

Swifty
03-14-2012, 08:47 AM
@OP

I just want to point out that not everyone agrees with the defense buildings are smoke and mirrors thing. It is a complicated issue. I know it is a minor point in your larger post, but we have lurkers and beginners reading these threads.

Maybe Doc Rumpies or someone from that school could chip in here with the contrarian viewpoint. And please note that I am not "calling out" Doc Rumpies, or criticizing him, or making fun of him. What I am pointing out is that there are players who, based on their own analysis and experience, find that defense buildings are a worthwhile investment.

I do not mean to hijack your thread, I just wanted to clarify that one minor point.

Holicaholic
03-14-2012, 09:04 AM
Defense buildings aren't smoke and mirrors, they just aren't worth upgrading.

Also, I would MUCH rather have +1 respect from fights than no banking fee. The best items in the game aren't bought with in game cash, so having that extra little boost to my RP collection would be the far superior option IMO. Too bad I didn't get the sig.... :(

upsman_17
03-14-2012, 10:15 AM
What are your att/def stats, the sharks get big at 100.

That's what I hear, that's why if I'm gonna camp, now is the time.
Stats are:

Level:95
MAfia: 232
Attack: 10535
Defense: 11674

nappyface
03-14-2012, 11:56 AM
I'm at level 103 right now and, from what I can tell, I would suggest shooting for at least 15k att/def if you care about keeping your stats respectable.

Swifty
03-14-2012, 12:09 PM
Nerf camping!

Unfair to non-campers!

emcee
03-14-2012, 12:13 PM
Yes as I stated in the M4 update thread camping causes an imbalance and should be nerfed. All movie theaters and lofts will be downgraded to art house cinema and house; respectively.

CounterSniper
03-14-2012, 12:20 PM
I'm at level 103 right now and, from what I can tell, I would suggest shooting for at least 15k att/def if you care about keeping your stats respectable.

+1

20k would be even better. I'm lvl 101 & my stats right now are 21766A/25937D & there are bigger hitters than me lurking about.

Swifty
03-14-2012, 12:34 PM
@emcee

Apologies, I stole that idea from you.

Murda
03-14-2012, 12:54 PM
you guys aren't considering mafia size in these recommendations. I'm level 101 as well and my stats are 10491 Att and 14030 Def.

I haven't been successfully robbed or attacked in months, and I recently went three weeks of no-banking at levels 98-100.

Mafia size has a big impact on who sees you. And I am managing to stay away from guys like countersniper and other sharks.

emcee
03-14-2012, 12:54 PM
@emcee

Apologies, I stole that idea from you.

No worries. Spread the word.

CounterSniper
03-14-2012, 12:58 PM
you guys aren't considering mafia size in these recommendations. I'm level 101 as well and my stats are 10491 Att and 14030 Def.

I haven't been successfully robbed or attacked in months, and I recently went three weeks of no-banking at levels 98-100.

Mafia size has a big impact on who sees you. And I am managing to stay away from guys like countersniper and other sharks.

So how many do you bring. I see people with 350 and up, give or take

Murda
03-14-2012, 01:09 PM
So how many do you bring. I see people with 350 and up, give or take

A lot less than that. I'm currently bringing 145 mafia, and I can see players from 100 mafia to about 250-260 sometimes as high as 300 or 320 but not often.

I've noticed that the rivals list is not a bell curve around your own mafia size, you can generally see rivals with many more mafia than you, but you only see those rather close to you on the lower end. With that assumption, I'm guessing those with 200-220 or so mafia can't see me at 145.

CounterSniper
03-14-2012, 01:14 PM
A lot less than that. I'm currently bringing 145 mafia, and I can see players from 100 mafia to about 250-260 sometimes as high as 300 or 320 but not often.

I've noticed that the rivals list is not a bell curve around your own mafia size, you can generally see rivals with many more mafia than you, but you only see those rather close to you on the lower end. With that assumption, I'm guessing those with 200-220 or so mafia can't see me at 145.

Nice, do you plan to employ that strategy thru lvl 200?

Swifty
03-14-2012, 01:16 PM
It must be more variable than that because I have occasionally seen rivals with many fewer mafia than I have (when I was rebuilding my mafia from zero). For example, when I had 300, I would sometimes see less than 100.

But now that I have 500+, I never see below 400.

frenda
03-14-2012, 01:24 PM
Does anyone else think this is BS? The whole thing with not being able to see someone who is your level but has hardly any mafia compared to others seems to be as screwed up as the inflated M4A1 stats. So is Funzio going to nerf that too? You should be able to attack anyone at your level, plus or minus 1 or 2. Who ever heard of someone having a huge hood but flying under the radar because they keep their mafia numbers small. Talk about an artificiality!!!

Murda
03-14-2012, 01:29 PM
Yeah I think there are some random outliers, sometimes at 145 I'l get a screen of rivals under 100, but it's unusual I would say(not rare). I'd guess a 4-1 ratio of seeing higher mafia size than lower.

Strategy wise, I'm in a comfortable place right now, once I start getting hit hard, I'll have to start banking again, and then I'll probably shoot straight to 500.

Oh and with over 400 requests pending, a single accept all button and my stats will instantly go to 23163A & 26116D, I can't wait to employ that on someone unsuspecting who ended up in my news feed.

Swifty
03-14-2012, 01:33 PM
@Murda

Sweet strategy.

upsman_17
03-14-2012, 02:01 PM

How many are in your mafia though? I'm only at 232, if I maxed it out my mafia the stats should be around those numbers you cited. At level 95 with 232, I don't see many with stats better than mine and I win 99% of my fight/robberies.

upsman_17
03-14-2012, 02:11 PM
Yeah I think there are some random outliers, sometimes at 145 I'l get a screen of rivals under 100, but it's unusual I would say(not rare). I'd guess a 4-1 ratio of seeing higher mafia size than lower.

Strategy wise, I'm in a comfortable place right now, once I start getting hit hard, I'll have to start banking again, and then I'll probably shoot straight to 500.

Oh and with over 400 requests pending, a single accept all button and my stats will instantly go to 23163A & 26116D, I can't wait to employ that on someone unsuspecting who ended up in my news feed.

I have the same thing going. I have 125 requests pending that I'm sitting on for a special occasion. Lol. My reason for having 232 mafia is bc I was increasing size with m4's looted ( as suggestd by some on the forum). Now that they are nerfed maybe I'll go up more. In my rivals list now I see anywhere from 170ish up to 440 or so. And I can beat 1/2 the people over 400. Over the past couple weeks I have been primarily attacking 350 and up (save for a few side wars going on) to see if I can rob better equipped hoods with more mafia compare to those with less mafia. Sadly I have seen no difference. Just like many things in life, all random.

Santa
03-14-2012, 02:12 PM
How many are in your mafia though? I'm only at 232, if I maxed it out my mafia the stats should be around those numbers you cited. At level 95 with 232, I don't see many with stats better than mine and I win 99% of my fight/robberies.

I'm only level 57, I made the choice to slim down my mafia from around the max to 80. I've seen a very very small decrease in my stats, and my atk and def per mafia member jumped up. I highly recommend you stay low, as it keeps you better equipped and against weaker opponents.

Novalak
03-14-2012, 02:27 PM
if you check out my stats below, you will see some impressive figures...that comes from camping along long time!
If you dont care about your win/loss record, dont camp...simple

wupuck
03-14-2012, 04:31 PM
if you check out my stats below, you will see some impressive figures...that comes from camping along long time!
If you dont care about your win/loss record, dont camp...simple

Nice! did u spend any $$? How long have you been camping? I've been slow playing since Aug '11 and only have $137,913/hr - 131 mafia - ATT: 7849 / DEF: 8987 - Lvl 67

I'm just wondering how you got your hourly $ up so high!

My record is only 4462/116, took to long how to figure out how to play :P

Silverstripe
03-14-2012, 07:46 PM
im thinking to camp between 103 and 123 - before HL can see you and after unlocking DD. Just because its a safer place to hang out and not get robbed as much. Even if they nerf DD, i still need a much better economy before moving on.

Nudie
03-14-2012, 07:47 PM
My answer: Don't camp.
I never have and at level 134, I win some fights and I lose some fights.
My economy is not great but generates enough cash that I always have something upgrading/building/expanding.