PDA

View Full Version : Selling Low Level Buildings

white frog
03-12-2012, 08:52 AM
I've seen a lot of threads on here with people asking about selling off the early buildings as opposed to saving up for hood expansions. I thought I would throw in my two cents:

When considering this dilemma, one major factor comes to mind, and that's the percentage of your overall income that the building in question provides. When considering this, you should take into account what percentage it would be at level 10.

The bottom shelf percentage # will depend on your level. For example, at the earlier levels (1-30 or so) I wouldn't even consider getting rid of any income. As you progress, buildings that provide a meager 1-3% of your income can be replaced with new buildings that can provide a much larger percentage.

I'm currently at level 41 with a daily income of $1,331,374. I still have quite a few lower level buildings that aren't at level 10 (and never will be). One example - I have 2 Pizza Parlors both at level 5, that provide $2,250 each per day, combined $4,500. The two buildings combined currently account for 0.34% of my total income, and therefore are more a waste of space than an income provider. At level 10, those numbers would increase to $22,500 per day at 1.67%. This is still extremely low for my progress! Two level 10 Icecream Shops would provide $85,500 per day, and be a total of 6.05% of my current income.

The same applies for Laundromats too. Currently, my two laudromats account for 0.19% and 0.25% of my income. This, however, greatly depends on how many times a day you collect on them. I estimate that I only collect 12 times per day. At the very most, if I collected the full 288 times per day, then they would be much more valuable at 4.13% and 5.41%. This would be worth keeping, but let's get real... who's gonna collect that many times. At 50 times per day, it would be 0.78% and 1.02%. At level 10, my 12 collections per day would increase the percentage to 0.67% combined. Needless to say, at my collection availability, I will be getting rid of my LM's soon.

Holicaholic
03-12-2012, 09:03 AM
I don't think you should ever really need to sell money buildings. Electronic stores and Arcades are the only two I'm on the fence about, but overall you should be able to expand and make more room before needing to sell.

This only holds true if you're going for a purely economic hood. If you put up decorations and try to make it look nice then you'll come to a crossroads of selling vs. expanding since the building outputs won't justify an expansion but you'll need more room.

I plan on keeping all my buildings for as long as possible, even if they don't generate as much income as their higher level counterparts.

Now this thread is almost worth a nickel!!!:cool:

Nicholost
03-12-2012, 09:05 AM
Good post. I agree with your analysis. As a matter a fact, I just deleted my two laundromats and pizza parlors. My $/hr dropped substantially when the laundromats went away, but it had no impact on my daily money collected. I don't miss 'em.

So where do you think the cutoff is for a building can be flagged for deletion? 5%?

white frog
03-12-2012, 09:06 AM
I don't think you should ever really need to sell money buildings. Electronic stores and Arcades are the only two I'm on the fence about, but overall you should be able to expand and make more room before needing to sell.

This only holds true if you're going for a purely economic hood. If you put up decorations and try to make it look nice then you'll come to a crossroads of selling vs. expanding since the building outputs won't justify an expansion but you'll need more room.

I plan on keeping all my buildings for as long as possible, even if they don't generate as much income as their higher level counterparts.

I agree, but consider this... my next expansion is $2.4 million. Would you pay for that expansion in order to build Pizza Parlors?

Swifty
03-12-2012, 09:07 AM
I am getting to that point where hard decisions are going to have to be made.

It does not make economic sense for me to shell out millions for hood expansions and keep underproductive low-level buildings.

My beloved gas stations, sports bars, and arcades might have to go.

Nicholost
03-12-2012, 09:10 AM
I don't think you should ever really need to sell money buildings.... overall you should be able to expand and make more room before needing to sell.

The point that white frog is making is that after awhile it is cheaper to sell a building and replace it with a better income generating building than pay for the hood expansion and the new building. Eventually, you'll have to expand your hood, but you shouldn't do so if it's cheaper to use your current space. Is that correct, white frog?

white frog
03-12-2012, 09:14 AM
So where do you think the cutoff is for a building can be flagged for deletion? 5%?

That depends on a couple of factors. First, what level you are at. This will be the biggest factor in determining your income needs. Secondly, what new buildings are available to you to replace them with. In my case, 5% would be $66,727 per day.

The final factor that I'm working on currently is how much space the building actually takes up. If you're deleting a Pizza Parlor, then you need to have a 4x4 building available to fill the space, otherwise you will need to delete more buildings to build, let's say, a Loft. Then you would have to combine the income %'s from all buildings you would need to delete.

Pre-emptively, I would say 3% and below could go.

white frog
03-12-2012, 09:16 AM
The point that white frog is making is that after awhile it is cheaper to sell a building and replace it with a income generating building than pay for the hood expansion and the new building. Eventually, you'll have to expand your hood, but you shouldn't do so if it's cheaper to use your current space. Is that correct, white frog?

Simply an efficiency thing! I haven't sold a single building yet in the game!

schlumpf
03-12-2012, 09:32 AM
"Anything under 3%" would be more than 50% of my total current income, with only Laundromats, Lofts, Movie Theatres and Upscale Clubs left. The hood would look very empty then, and most of the remaining income are theoretical laundromats.

1% would already be a radical cut (~25%), but an interesting thought. I only started selling wasteful defense buildings after the 5M expansion, and first inefficient income builings now after 7M. Too much of a collecting personality to do otherwise.

white frog
03-12-2012, 09:36 AM
"Anything under 3%" would be more than 50% of my total current income

I apologize if I wasn't clear enough... what I meant is 3% of your total current income. This is for individual buildings. Remember that the other factors need apply as well. If you don't have another building to replace it with, then it would be silly to get rid of it!

Nicholost
03-12-2012, 09:41 AM
"Anything under 3%" would be more than 50% of my total current income, with only Laundromats, Lofts, Movie Theatres and Upscale Clubs left. The hood would look very empty then, and most of the remaining income are theoretical laundromats.
Couple things: 1) white frog is referring to the percentage of actual collections in a day, not the building's $/hr stat. 2) don't sell income buildings just to sell income buildings. You should be able to build something to fill that void that provides you more income that what you sold. So in your case, when it comes time to build something new, analyze whether it will be cheaper to replace a low generating building with a better building or expand and build.

white frog
03-12-2012, 09:57 AM
Couple things: 1) white frog is referring to the percentage of actual collections in a day, not the building's $/hr stat. 2) don't sell income buildings just to sell income buildings. You should be able to build something to fill that void that provides you more income that what you sold. So in your case, when it comes time to build something new, analyze whether it will be cheaper to replace a low generating building with a better building or expand and build.

Totally true! If I need space for new buildings, and my Pizza Parlors are taking up that space, I either get rid of them, or spend the $2.4 mil to expand. Those two pizza parlors would take 533.33 days to make up what I spent on the expansion. Now, of course there will be more room for other buildings if I upgraded, but if I get rid of enough money buildings to make all things equal with the upgrade, then I way out those figures.

When I do the math, my parlors provide $140/square of real estate/day. The upgrade (in my case with the $2.4 mil expansion) would provide 192 squares of real estate, costing $12,500 each. Those parlors would take 89.29 days to make up that difference. 89 days, IMO, is way too long to justify keeping those buildings!

Caleb
03-12-2012, 09:58 AM
Something I've found useful is to look at the Money Buildings spread sheet column for $/hr/sq. Comparing the level 10 value for that column helps show the best potential output that could be achieved and points out the problem with buildings like Warehouse. I kept my (level 7 :p) Warehouse until recently, but decided it was worth selling since with the space freed up by the Warehouse and other space I had available, I would have just enough room for Brownstones, Underboss, and Upscale Clubs while delaying the next expansion for a little while. I got rid of my gas stations some time ago for similar reasons.

white frog
03-12-2012, 10:06 AM
Exactly, Caleb.. I was just trying to explain why it is that way.
I also wanted to thank you for putting Tramp's document together and making it easy for his legacy to live on. I was a long time student of Tramp's, and would like to step up and continue what he started in any way that I can. I don't think anyone on here has said it yet, so Thank You!!!

xclusiv
03-12-2012, 10:25 AM
sell them, seen people with all the begining stage buildings at level 10 pizza palour gunshop etc... and there ecomony was poor, as apose to someone selling them to focus on better buildings.

emcee
03-12-2012, 11:14 AM
You should not sell any buildings especially with your economy. Someone with a fraction of your income may be a viable option.

If you feel you have a deadline for playing this game; say 1 year then sell it and start leveling like your life depends on it. In essence you life as a criminal ends in one year.

However, from your economy at your level I well guess you have camped for probably at least 2 months straight on or off combined.

I'm level 49 now. Left 3 1/2 months solid camping from level 24 about 3 weeks ago. My 5 million expansion will be complete in 1 hour which will allow me to build the remaining fancy restaurant and art house cinema. I have not sold one building and well never as I have a long term play strategy in mind. Eventually every money building will pay for itself and earn income. By the way my income per hour is only 70716 so you are not that far off.

My emphasis now is to just build income buildings when they are available. Build gatlings and upgrade to level 2 for now and maybe upgrade a money building if completion time does not take too long.

Jill
03-12-2012, 11:35 AM
sell them, seen people with all the begining stage buildings at level 10 pizza palour gunshop etc... and there ecomony was poor, as apose to someone selling them to focus on better buildings.

Your incomes were way above mine at your levels so I was a late starter in cash generation and I remember selling my Laundromats and it had a massive effect on my income at that time but in the long run it was worth it. Since then I am always building something (money buildings or gatlings if cash is low) and upgrading cash buildings at the same time. My next extension is $7.0m but I dont need that for sometime. As the old saying goes, money makes money and I agree with Xclusiv, sell them and make way for higher income buildings.

duelblade
03-15-2012, 02:16 PM
Its probably better at some point to sell off your low end buildings but I like all my buildings and my theory is throwing away buildings you build and spend days upgrading isn't worth just throwing away I personally would just rather save up for a hood upgrade.

Dr BoneCrusher
04-13-2012, 07:37 AM
Totally true! If I need space for new buildings, and my Pizza Parlors are taking up that space, I either get rid of them, or spend the $2.4 mil to expand. Those two pizza parlors would take 533.33 days to make up what I spent on the expansion. Now, of course there will be more room for other buildings if I upgraded, but if I get rid of enough money buildings to make all things equal with the upgrade, then I way out those figures.

When I do the math, my parlors provide $140/square of real estate/day. The upgrade (in my case with the $2.4 mil expansion) would provide 192 squares of real estate, costing $12,500 each. Those parlors would take 89.29 days to make up that difference. 89 days, IMO, is way too long to justify keeping those buildings!.

Doing some research and came across this post. I think this makes the best case for deleting low level buildings. I am at level 47 now don't really have an income problem but, I do not like to wast money. Why wait cut your losses and move on. If I delete lower buildings and build better ones and use the money I would spend for expansion and used it for upgrades or cars how could that be a bad thing?

Giedrius
04-13-2012, 08:57 AM
I'm not going to talk about very low level players, but sooner or later everyone need to make decision what to do. In my example I started to get rid of low payout buildings then I had about 100k income. Reason for that is that if you look long term you shouldn't waste time and money on later useless buildings. Now I have buildings which costs 3mil and more. My suggestion at some point stop upgrading early buildings- concentrate on movie theaters and lofts. Yes it probably will be slow for start but will speed up. These two buildings long term. My example : I started concentrating on economy then I reached 200k/h in about month or so I'm on 440k/h. Yes I do have all good gold buildings. Use spreadsheets !

Jill
04-13-2012, 09:14 AM
Good post. I agree with your analysis. As a matter a fact, I just deleted my two laundromats and pizza parlors. My $/hr dropped substantially when the laundromats went away, but it had no impact on my daily money collected. I don't miss 'em.

I did the same and dropped my laudromats but at a much earlier stage when my income was $13k it dropped hugely to $8k, I cursed myself for doing it then but now I believe they just inflate your income and I'm glad I done now.

My income one is touching $244k and I refuse to increase my hourly buildings, they are just a false figure in my optinion.

Burn
04-13-2012, 09:25 AM
Haven't read the analysis, but I'm sure it is sound.

I deleted every low-level building that wasn't 12/24/48 hour, and even deleted some of them that were within this synch range.

Why? Because I didn't like them any more. I spit on them. They paid for themselves many times over, so I deleted them without a care.

Some guy wandered into my hood during demolition and started meowling on about ROI and the fact that these buildings were 'pure profit', so I shot him in the face and set fire to his spreadsheets :D

The only early stage buildings I have now are 2 x L10 Houses (they will stay forever), and 2 x L8 Gun Shops (will probably let them stay permanently too).

On the 'at risk of demolition list' in this order are a Warehouse at L7, 2 x Pawn Shops at L7, and 2 x Tattoo Parlours at L7 - these can stay until I need the space for better buildings.

For purely aesthetic reasons I do not want a big sprawling hood, I want to keep it trim, and ultimately only have classy buildings.

Those damn Crematoriums are uglier than my wifes Mum. They will have to go one day too.

NotsoFunzio
04-13-2012, 09:41 AM
Sup.... Got back into econ again after a break.....

Im aiming to get rid of the fluff that i don't need and have a good econemy off a select number of buildings...

Im not leveling past 127

So my keep and upgrade pile are.......

MT = lvl 6
Lofts = lvl5
Rock cafes = lvl1
Upscale = lvl1
Gents club = lvl 1
Pirate Tav = 1

Condos, then hotels, then credit agancy. then nightclubs to be added to the above list. These are the only buildings I want in the game at some point. So may as well start leveling them now..... Think i have my order

Lofts, then upscales, while buildings condos, then rock stars , mabye MTs while i save for hotels, then ....... i'll replan

Below are my keep for a long time mabye odd upgrades... mabye delete later pile
Doms level = lvl 6
Beach in = lvl 4s
Brwonstone = lvl 3s

These will prob go when i need room and i dont have space

house = lvl 9
Crem = lvl 1

2 of all buildings....

Any one got any good pointers?

white frog
04-13-2012, 09:48 AM
Any one got any good pointers?
I think the upscales are a more efficient upgrade over the Lofts (depends on your income and bankroll). I'm not sure about the Gents club and Pirates Tav. Try downloading the calculator in my signature, and plug the appropriate numbers in. This will tell you what the fastest way to increase your econ!

NotsoFunzio
04-13-2012, 09:59 AM
I think the upscales are a more efficient upgrade over the Lofts (depends on your income and bankroll). I'm not sure about the Gents club and Pirates Tav. Try downloading the calculator in my signature, and plug the appropriate numbers in. This will tell you what the fastest way to increase your econ!

Thanks buddy... Im not into the whole spreadsheet thing.

I like to wing it.... Im only upgrading lofts because they now have a long upgrade time... Im on 159K i think. Not much in the bank. Just need time, so the long good loft upgrades make sence while i save for condos. Then im hitting the upscales hard. 12K buildings will give me the money to upgrade the upscales with the short upgrade times and expensive upgrades. I hope :)

I wnt the condos, now because I want to get start on the good buildings that will take forever to build

duelblade
04-13-2012, 10:08 AM

this is how I play :d saving up for a 2.4m upgrade now

NotsoFunzio
04-13-2012, 10:22 AM
Haven't read the analysis, but I'm sure it is sound.

I deleted every low-level building that wasn't 12/24/48 hour, and even deleted some of them that were within this synch range.

Why? Because I didn't like them any more. I spit on them. They paid for themselves many times over, so I deleted them without a care.

Some guy wandered into my hood during demolition and started meowling on about ROI and the fact that these buildings were 'pure profit', so I shot him in the face and set fire to his spreadsheets :D

The only early stage buildings I have now are 2 x L10 Houses (they will stay forever), and 2 x L8 Gun Shops (will probably let them stay permanently too).

On the 'at risk of demolition list' in this order are a Warehouse at L7, 2 x Pawn Shops at L7, and 2 x Tattoo Parlours at L7 - these can stay until I need the space for better buildings.

For purely aesthetic reasons I do not want a big sprawling hood, I want to keep it trim, and ultimately only have classy buildings.

Those damn Crematoriums are uglier than my wifes Mum. They will have to go one day too.

I agree..........

TenderPlacebo
04-13-2012, 10:31 AM
I said same thing until it cost me 7 mill to expand, which could potentialy upgrade my upscale to lvl2 or my loft to 5. It's not an easy decision to make, but it all depends on what your after.
I can always buy those gas stations, or pizza palors later when I have the bankrole to expand, without sacrificing a good upgrade. If I can't fit my night clubs in when it's time to build, you bet you a$$ I'm gonna say goodbye to those laundry mats and electronic stores.

Kcimz00
04-29-2013, 12:26 AM
I've seen a lot of threads on here with people asking about selling off the early buildings as opposed to saving up for hood expansions. I thought I would throw in my two cents:

When considering this dilemma, one major factor comes to mind, and that's the percentage of your overall income that the building in question provides. When considering this, you should take into account what percentage it would be at level 10.

The bottom shelf percentage # will depend on your level. For example, at the earlier levels (1-30 or so) I wouldn't even consider getting rid of any income. As you progress, buildings that provide a meager 1-3% of your income can be replaced with new buildings that can provide a much larger percentage.

I'm currently at level 41 with a daily income of $1,331,374. I still have quite a few lower level buildings that aren't at level 10 (and never will be). One example - I have 2 Pizza Parlors both at level 5, that provide $2,250 each per day, combined $4,500. The two buildings combined currently account for 0.34% of my total income, and therefore are more a waste of space than an income provider. At level 10, those numbers would increase to $22,500 per day at 1.67%. This is still extremely low for my progress! Two level 10 Icecream Shops would provide $85,500 per day, and be a total of 6.05% of my current income.

The same applies for Laundromats too. Currently, my two laudromats account for 0.19% and 0.25% of my income. This, however, greatly depends on how many times a day you collect on them. I estimate that I only collect 12 times per day. At the very most, if I collected the full 288 times per day, then they would be much more valuable at 4.13% and 5.41%. This would be worth keeping, but let's get real... who's gonna collect that many times. At 50 times per day, it would be 0.78% and 1.02%. At level 10, my 12 collections per day would increase the percentage to 0.67% combined. Needless to say, at my collection availability, I will be getting rid of my LM's soon.

I just wanted to add my two thoughts to this wonderfully written quote...
I agree about getting rid of stupid low level buildings once they become absoultely useless... however! I am offended that he calls the laundromat a useless building...
I remember doing the math one day If you collect from a laundromat every 5 minutes without missing a beat... and do not eat / sleep ect... you will collect over 100k a day from a laundromat at level 10... to me this could be considered useful.

My two cents.

Laundromats FTW

BigMoney
04-29-2013, 01:01 AM
Okay, I didn't bump this thread, but since it's already here, I wanted to make a point that no one in this topic made. I have a fairly decent sized hood (next expansion costs $10 million, so I don't know what expansion number that is). My hood is completely packed, with barely a square of wasted space (where there are buildings anyway, recently expanded again and haven't built new buildings yet). I have one neighborhood block (the big rectangular block directly below where your character spawns in your hood) completely packed with useless buildings (nothing above level 5: pizza parlors, delis, Chinese restaurant, pawn shops, barber shops, gas station, etc). Now, I'm all about the IPH and whatnot, but a serious drain on my income comes from replenishing defensive explosives when a dedicated rival feels like robbing my worthless buildings (I'm pretty good at pushing buttons, usually I want the links to their hood). I collect on all of my big money buildings without a second to spare (NCs, lofts, churches, Upscales, etc), but the timers on all these weaker buildings makes it impossible to collect on time. So a lot of times when people rob my buildings (and by a lot of times I mean all the time, I can't remember the last time someone robbed one of my good buildings), it costs more to replace the explosives than the money that was actually robbed.

So although I've yet to delete any, one of the reasons I want to start getting rid of these is that I can't possibly manage all the different timers on buildings that don't produce enough to be worth it. The main reason I haven't is because I fit these buildings together SO perfectly without wasting any space whatsoever, like a masterful puzzle. Which is a really dumb reason not to delete a building.

Edit: I'm not 100% sure what I'm going to do, but it stopped being worth it to upgrade these buildings long ago with all the other buildings I have available to upgrade (and the means to do so). I'm definitely going to delete the crappy buildings on a 3-hr timer, and probably the ones on a 6-8hr timer as well. I guess the tattoo parlors, gun shops, and pawnshops can stay since I can sync their collections with my bigger money buildings (which will at least prevent them from being robbed), but I doubt they're too terribly economical to keep either.

Bala82
04-29-2013, 01:18 AM
I am exactly the same big money packed my buildings so tightly.

I delete my pizza parlor and barbershop only replace them defence buildings.

Droop1972
04-29-2013, 07:23 PM
Okay, I didn't bump this thread, but since it's already here, I wanted to make a point that no one in this topic made. I have a fairly decent sized hood (next expansion costs $10 million, so I don't know what expansion number that is). .

that would be 17 or 18 I believe. My hood is at the same point as yours. I kept my gun shops, pawn shops, Laundromats, t shirt stands, and fish stores because they are so tiny. I kept the stupid warehouse out of nostalgia and it was my first level 10 bldg. took it to level 7 for the goal so went ahead and finished it. I kept my meat factories as well, largely because they are easy to cram into a space.