PDA

View Full Version : Explosives are 6 times expensive but not 3 time stronger

Fig Oni
03-01-2012, 03:02 PM
I believe there is no change to the rate of explosive consumption since the update.

If explosive are 3 times longer lasting then why are the price hiked 6 times more then the old price.

Nicholost
03-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Just a speculation here, but I think it was done as a game balancer. The previous pricing structure probably gave too much power/$ to explosives, and folks were making and sustaining tremendous stat gains because of their low relative cost. By making them more expensive for the same stats, it evens the playing field between weapons. The "lasts longer" portion was added to prevent users from feeling jipped from the price increase. I'm sure very few have done the math to see the 3:6 imbalance that you pointed out. That's my guess anyway.

Joeycool
03-01-2012, 03:22 PM
I believe there is no change to the rate of explosive consumption since the update.

If explosive are 3 times longer lasting then why are the price hiked 6 times more then the old price.

I have to say defence explosives still seem to be a waste of time. Still loose them very quickly. If you win when being attacked... You loose them.

If you loose when being attacked... You loose them.

Nicholost
03-01-2012, 03:24 PM
If you win when being attacked... You loose them.

If you loose when being attacked... You loose them.
It's like the explosive form of your virginity. If she's hot and willing to put out, you lose it. If she's ugly and willing to put out, you lose it.

Joeycool
03-01-2012, 03:28 PM
It's like the explosive form of your virginity. If she's hot and willing to put out, you lose it. If she's ugly and willing to put out, you lose it.

Only loosing your virginity is something that you want!

No one wants to loose their explosives.

(I hope I loose my virginity soon)

Fig Oni
03-01-2012, 03:33 PM
(I hope I loose my virginity soon)

What happened with woodstock

Joeycool
03-01-2012, 03:36 PM
What happened with woodstock

Frigid!!!!!

Fig Oni
03-01-2012, 03:40 PM
Just a speculation here, but I think it was done as a game balancer. The previous pricing structure probably gave too much power/$ to explosives, and folks were making and sustaining tremendous stat gains because of their low relative cost. By making them more expensive for the same stats, it evens the playing field between weapons. The "lasts longer" portion was added to prevent users from feeling jipped from the price increase. I'm sure very few have done the math to see the 3:6 imbalance that you pointed out. That's my guess anyway.

Must admit your observation seems quite correct but **** the ****ty balance it a game.
How can it be balance when the higher lvl player with huge income have already purchased there explosive before the increase and now in the future just to be competitive against them you need to spend 6 time more cash to buy an explosive.
Seem to me like giving high level explosive buyers a nice extra boost.

Why couldn't they just increase the price of explosive the higher the lvl you go like how they made expert lock pick price higher the further up you level.

Fig Oni
03-01-2012, 03:42 PM
Frigid!!!!!

No comment (need a solicitor)

Dorian Gray
03-01-2012, 03:43 PM
For me it looks like I only lose defense explosives from a win sometimes, maybe if it's a close stat matchup?

Out of the 19 wins in the news, 5 have resulted in lost explosives.

Joeycool
03-01-2012, 03:52 PM
For me it looks like I only lose defense explosives from a win sometimes, maybe if it's a close stat matchup?

Out of the 19 wins in the news, 5 have resulted in lost explosives.

That is because you are only level 115.

That will change when you hit level 128 (ish) and will start to get hit by high level players.

Fig Oni
03-01-2012, 03:55 PM

That will change when you hit level 128 (ish) and will start to get hit by high level players.

And another thing you forgot to mention to him you lose more defensive explosive for winning, how does that make sense

Fig Oni
03-01-2012, 04:00 PM
And just got my 8th diamond.

Your good luck Joey.

Joeycool
03-01-2012, 04:01 PM
And just got my 8th diamond.

Your good luck Joey.

*smiles nervously*

*holds hand out for tip*

Fig Oni
03-01-2012, 04:03 PM
*smiles nervously*

*holds hand out for tip*

I'll post it now.

Dorian Gray
03-01-2012, 04:07 PM

It seems like I'm leveling up in line with the HL cutoff. Hopefully that will continue and even when I'm 128 ish I won't have to worry about such things...

I can dream can't I?

Tramp Stamp
03-01-2012, 04:25 PM
Gotta agree, hard to see how hiking explosives for people who haven't been playing since August balances anything. Both Fig Oni's price scaling suggestion and allhaildiscordia's idea of having two sets of explosions with the same names but different prices and consumption stats make sense. All this did was further entrench the already overpowered.

martMode
03-01-2012, 04:27 PM
i believe explosives are to be acquired based on economy. ie, for my puny economy at $23,815 per hour, i should only be able to afford the $2k hand grenade and $3k stun grenade. purchasing more costly explosives will wipe out my income and not allow me to upgrade buildings etc.

thus the lost rate of explosives will be the same between more costly ones compared to the economy ones. only difference is att/def stat points to different tiers.

Nicholost
03-01-2012, 04:32 PM
Gotta agree, hard to see how hiking explosives for people who haven't been playing since August balances anything.
Playing devil's advocate here, but those reserves will be slowly be whittled down over time. Not that that justifies the price increase, but...

Both Fig Oni's price scaling suggestion and allhaildiscordia's idea of having two sets of explosions with the same names but different prices and consumption stats make sense.
Agreed. The idea of making explosive cost relative to level is a brilliant one. That's what they should have implemented, IMO.

Brent
03-01-2012, 05:05 PM
I bought about 550 time bombs yesterday and now i only have 100. So there is no change. Why does funzio lie?

Swifty
03-01-2012, 05:26 PM
It is not really lying.

It is more like prevarication.

TenderPlacebo
03-01-2012, 05:33 PM
It seems like you loose less if you win while being attacked. I think when I was attacked and lost fight i lost like 5 time bombs. I got attacked again, same person i won and lost 1 time bomb. It was something like that. I was just starting to buy explosives, then I was hit with higher price. I was also one of the testers u could say, Ive had those higher prices for awhile now. I can say for sure because I was just getting into them, but like others have said; it doesnt justify such a huge price increase.
I def. Feel like I'm losing out, late to party. I also feel that way about all the nearfing the drop rates. It will take me a whole lot longer to farm and get stats up compared to someone who started way before me. It's like getting a handicap for showing up a little late, strong get stronger so to speak.

jlhy
03-01-2012, 07:34 PM
I'm enjoying the change to the higher end explosives. Previously if I got attacked and lost 10 times I would lose between 8-11 land mines per loss and usually end up losing a little over 100 land minds as a result. This would end up costing me a little over 6 million to replace. Now the most I lose per loss is 2 and if I lose 10 attacks in a row I only lose between 9-13 land mines costing only a little over a million to replace. Not sure about the lower end explosive consumption rate but at the high end there is an improvement.

qwikster
03-01-2012, 09:06 PM
@swifty:

catchy signature:

There is a lot of variability in small sample statistics. So that 0 for 20 streak could happen by random chance alone.

did you know: the probability of 0 heads or tails out of 20 coin flips is 0.0086963841, well below the statistical significance threshold.

Tramp Stamp
03-01-2012, 09:12 PM
Yeah but that's assuming 50%. If it's 14% then the chances are about 5%, which is well within three-sigma.

dudeman
03-01-2012, 09:33 PM
Not long ago, I wanted to buy stun grenades and was seriously considering it, then my game crashed and when I logged in moments later I had the longer lasting explosives. I wish I had bought them cheap, but I had a lot of green saved up at the time from taking 12-13 days to upgrade my LMs so I bought them anyways. $1.5M for 3k defense isn't that expensive, although it would have been a steal at $250(?)/stun grenade.

I bought defense explosives once a long time ago and was shown in a matter of hours why they were a bad idea at the time. Now, however, if I get attacked and can win a few of the fights, not just one of them, I don't always lose explosives. Sometimes I can win the first fight, not lose explosives, and the rival moves on.

I would say that stun grenades definitely last longer than they used to. Also, I'm glad I had enough cash saved to max them out in one shot. I even got an extra 100 as a buffer, and since doing that I have never dipped below 500. You only have to save up $300k to replenish 100 grenades in reserve, and at level 140 that's pretty doable for most people. I'm glad most people don't do that though. :D

Swifty
03-01-2012, 09:33 PM
@qwikster

If you flip a fair coin 20 times, the chance of getting no heads is about 1 in a million (0.5**20). Or, if one million people flip a fair coin 20 times, then by random chance alone, on average one of those people will get no heads.

And many of the chances in Crime City are less than coin flip probablility (for example, getting police armor from the computer lab at lookout hill is 7% according to the Crime City iOS Jobs spreadsheet). Which makes an 0 for 20 streak more likely.

And on a personal note, I did have an 0 for 20 streak with Nadya at Packer Heights.

But maybe I misunderstood your point.

Jill
03-01-2012, 11:29 PM
At my lvl, below 120, I'm losing big time on defence items, attach is minimal but what JC is saying in a few lvls time I will be the same lose rate for both.... Scary .... What do you do JC buy only att?

This is assuming your not longer frigid ......lol

Joeycool
03-02-2012, 04:13 AM
At my lvl, below 120, I'm losing big time on defence items, attach is minimal but what JC is saying in a few lvls time I will be the same lose rate for both.... Scary .... What do you do JC buy only att?

This is assuming your not longer frigid ......lol

I buy stun grenades normally... but recently I have been robbed a lot and so they are costing me quite a bit to keep topped up.

Last couple of nights I got repeatedly robbed and attacked by someone called momo. This person seems to have a vendetta against me. She robbed every building in my hood and attacked me what seems like every hour. 25 levels higher than me. 98K defence so I cant attack back really

lost about 450 explosives. Would cost me 1.35M to replace... but then I will probably just loose them again when I'm sleeping again tonight.

I loose every attack against this person as they are a big gold spender and much stronger than me... so I dont think the explosives are worth while at all for me at the moment... not if I'm loosing $1.35M a day.

Burn
03-02-2012, 04:16 AM
Attack explosives Yes

Defence explosives No

The End

Bambamdaniel
03-02-2012, 04:21 AM
Have bought alot ..gives stats to sustain .. While adding ..real items ...also buy low cost at huge numbers . To keep from loosing expensive ones...

qwikster
03-02-2012, 05:21 AM
Yeah but that's assuming 50%. If it's 14% then the chances are about 5%, which is well within three-sigma.
agreed. probability of zero occurrence for a less likely event will naturally be higher. still, the probability of 0/20 occurrence for p=.14 is 0.049, close to but nevertheless less than 0.05.

If you flip a fair coin 20 times, the chance of getting no heads is about 1 in a million (0.5**20). Or, if one million people flip a fair coin 20 times, then by random chance alone, on average one of those people will get no heads.

the correct probability is actually derived by applying the binomial distribution.

And many of the chances in Crime City are less than coin flip probablility (for example, getting police armor from the computer lab at lookout hill is 7% according to the Crime City iOS Jobs spreadsheet). Which makes an 0 for 20 streak more likely.

yes, agreed (see above). for p=.07, probability of 0/20 streak is actually high...23%, a not uncommon possibility.

my intention was to give a counter argument to your signature statement and initiate a discussion. in that, i have succeeded.

Swifty
03-02-2012, 05:59 AM
@qwikster

The binomial distribution calculator at:

http://stattrek.com/online-calculator/binomial.aspx

gives the exact same result i quoted (0.5**20, or 9.53 x 10**-7, or about 1 in a million)

My signature says that it can happen, not that it is likely to happen. Random events do happen outside of statistical norms. But in any particular case in Crime City, it is possible that the result is not by random chance alone.

Maybe they are using a flaky random number generator. Hopefully not, but without large sample data, one can never be sure.

Tramp Stamp
03-02-2012, 06:11 AM
I've tracked thousands of looting trials and the RNG produces results that match spreadsheet figures.

Swifty
03-02-2012, 06:38 AM
@Tramp Stamp

Wow. Excellent effort on your part.

You are a valuable asset, because some of us are not willing to do that.

whocareswhatmynameis
03-02-2012, 06:43 AM
@qwikster

The binomial distribution calculator at:

http://stattrek.com/online-calculator/binomial.aspx

gives the exact same result i quoted (0.5**20, or 9.53 x 10**-7, or about 1 in a million)

My signature says that it can happen, not that it is likely to happen. Random events do happen outside of statistical norms. But in any particular case in Crime City, it is possible that the result is not by random chance alone.

Maybe they are using a flaky random number generator. Hopefully not, but without large sample data, one can never be sure.

it's actually 9.53*e^-7 which is equal to 0.0086963841.

i understand why you chose to put a thought provoking signature. like you, i have been wary of numerous posts which allege this site or that location has been nerfed just because they had a bad luck streak. i am just pointing out a more rational and objective method of describing whether an observed drop rate is within the normal expected limit or not.

Swifty
03-02-2012, 06:57 AM
@qwikster

Thanks for the correction.

I misread that more than once.

Jill
03-02-2012, 07:15 AM
@ JC

Really difficult when your up against such an attacker..... Think I'll stay below lvl 200 as long as I can, which will be 3 days max. at the rate I'm going Lol