PDA

View Full Version : Better R Investment - Chain Whips or NVB?

Rocky35
03-01-2012, 06:09 AM
NVB - 16/16 (300)
CW - 25/19 (750)

I have over 240 NVB and about 50 CW. I notice that I'm only getting 10/8 from the NVB now, and 20/14 from the Chain Whip. So if I were to spend 600 R points and get 2 NVB, I would be getting 20/16 more in stats, and save 150 R points than if I were to get just 1 Chain Whip. Is this wise to do this? I know Chain Whips are end game weapons and more useful. Should I be thinking long term, or short term now and get the most bang for my R points?

I'm done with M4s, and all good with vehicles (DD). This is only between CW and NVB. Thanks for any input.

Fricco
03-01-2012, 06:22 AM
CW, if you are really hurting on Armor you can purchase in game weapons with decent stats,to me there is no melee that is comparable to CW. IMO anyway...

Holicaholic
03-01-2012, 07:21 AM
Theoretically you will phase out the NVB for Full Combat Gear, but the CW is here to stay. There aren't any other non-gold melee items that are comparable.

My advice is go CW all the way.

downrange
03-01-2012, 11:19 AM
I am in extremely similar position. 450 M4 A1, and working on DD now. 300 NVB and 90-ish CW.

I decided to pause NVB at 300 and am buying CW currently. I had done a very similar analysis as you have regarding the stats-for-RP returns of each. In my case I went for the lowest-common-denomonator of 1500RP, with which you can buy exactly 2 CW or 5 NVB.
Accounting for an anticipated replacement of armor at 6/8 (boxing trunks), I get +50/+40 from 5 additional NVB.
Without even accounting for replacement, the TOTAL value of 2 CW is +50/+38. Actual value will be less since anyone who's contemplating at this level has at least *something* filling a melee slot.

The point of that though was to prove to myself that until I'm replacing something better than boxing trunks, NVB are always the better buy -- [at least between the two items in question, which, as you've pointed out, and I believe too, are the smart choices for RP considering the m4A1 and DD availability in current game dynamics]. This also implies that even when I'm replacing better-than-boxing-tunks, and something like butterfly knives, that I'd need to be replacing armor items at least +5/+5 better than boxing trunks, for the CW to be better stat-for-RP value.

HOWEVER, despite that mathematical exercise, I'm choosing to purchase CW over NVB at the moment anyway. I've decided 300 was a fine point to pause, in case the game dynamics change again, because my stats feel 'sufficient' for my playing style, and the delta in stat gain per RP is minor. I had to draw a line in the sand somewhere, right. I can't purchase more than 500 NVB, and for me 300 was just a convenient stopping point. I know that if I start to feel weak that I have a 'buffer' of NVB left to refocus on at any time. The CW are helping me balance out my categories, and are end-game-assured, whereas NVB are somewhat more softly end-game-relevant (again caveat that new items can be introduced at any time).

So, now that you understand my opinion and bias, my recommendation would be CW, since that's what I'm choosing. More NVB would probably still be slightly better value (up to 300 or 400), but CW gets the nod for being more end-game-absolute (to near-500).

erik
03-01-2012, 12:03 PM
CW for sure. While NVB are a great value, I think they will have substitues for the Attack side in upcoming content.

Holicaholic
03-01-2012, 12:06 PM
You shouldn't look at the NVB as only 300 RP, but as 300 + 800 since you'll eventually need to replace them if you want the best non-gold armor when you reach the endgame.

blondealex
03-01-2012, 01:34 PM
Feel free to use the Respect calculator in my signature.

Duke.0
03-01-2012, 02:29 PM
Yeah but what other Armor item has 16 attack?

I would look at the NVG as more of a attack item, than a defense item.

Dorian Gray
03-01-2012, 02:54 PM
Feel free to use the Respect calculator in my signature.

off topic -
My mom's about a dozen levels above me, but she's not on the forum, don't think she's ever been on one. I've taught her a lot of what I've learned on here to help her stats, which has worked wonders for both of us, thanks to all the wonderful contributers we have here. Your calculator is exactly what I need to get her to use though. Everytime I see her it's "Help Me! What respect stuff should I buy?" lol

on topic-
196 NVBs, when I hit 200 I'll be movin' to CWs for a while.

P.S. Please be nice to Kitmim at lvl 125-6, or I will have to track you down.

Nicholost
03-01-2012, 03:09 PM
My mom's about a dozen levels above me...
WTF?! That's rad! I never thought Crime City could become a family game.

Of course, there is the obvious question, and dare I ask, but... is she hot? :p

Swifty
03-01-2012, 03:12 PM
Dorian, you can track me down even if I am nice to your Mom.

Joeycool
03-01-2012, 03:20 PM

Classic nicolost!

CW all the way!

Dorian Gray
03-01-2012, 03:27 PM

LOL She's probably too old for you, but my sister plays as well. Good luck taking her away from her boyfriend though.
I'll get back to you with her info so you can hit on her to your heart's content.

Joeycool
03-01-2012, 03:30 PM
LOL She's probably too old for you, but my sister plays as well. Good luck taking her away from her boyfriend though.
I'll get back to you with her info so you can hit on her to your heart's content.

He's got a GF. Don't give him any info. Dirty love rat!

blondealex
03-01-2012, 03:37 PM
Yeah but what other Armor item has 16 attack?

I would look at the NVG as more of a attack item, than a defense item.

+1

off topic -
My mom's about a dozen levels above me, but she's not on the forum, don't think she's ever been on one. I've taught her a lot of what I've learned on here to help her stats, which has worked wonders for both of us, thanks to all the wonderful contributers we have here. Your calculator is exactly what I need to get her to use though. Everytime I see her it's "Help Me! What respect stuff should I buy?" lol

No Problem, glad someone can use it.

Fig Oni
03-01-2012, 03:53 PM
What a thread.

I haven't even had a zoot yet and I'm already buzzing.

Santa
03-01-2012, 04:18 PM
A zoot? Uhmmm, English please?

dudeman
03-01-2012, 04:19 PM
Chain Whips, no question. I have <150 NVBs and I think that was enough, considering they WILL eventually be replaced with FCGs. I find the binoculars are more of a 300 RP rental item. All the low/mid-tier RP items are pretty much rentals, which is why I never went crazy with them. Before you unlock the high-tier items you have no choice but to get what's available. Once you have the option to buy the high-tier items, anything less is a waste of time.

IMO.

Nicholost
03-01-2012, 04:27 PM
He's got a GF. Don't give him any info.
Wife. I used GF in my story because my wife didn't approve of her inclusion.

Dirty love rat!
I swear, the Brits have made name calling an art form. As an Americaner, there is much to be learned from the Brits. I mean, they use Wanker... in context! It's probably taught in school over there.

Nudie
03-01-2012, 05:41 PM
CW. I have NVG at 200 and will probably leave it there.

Twinkie
03-02-2012, 06:36 AM
Totally CW. I have 200+ NVB and won't be geting anymore. Think long term and not short term. Once your economy gets better and you can support it, you can boost up armor by buying FBI shields.

Dorian Gray
03-02-2012, 01:21 PM
A zoot? Uhmmm, English please?

I thought Santa spoke every language?? I also always assumed that you were a big drinker.

•1 oz. Gin
•1 oz. Jack Daniel's
•6 oz. 7-up
•1 wedge Lemon

Mixing Instructions

Add gin to a highball glass filled with ice, and fill the glass almost to the top with 7-up. Slowly add the Jack Daniels to the top of the ice. Add a lemon wedge for garnish.

frenda
03-02-2012, 01:31 PM
Wife. I used GF in my story because my wife didn't approve of her inclusion.

I swear, the Brits have made name calling an art form. As an Americaner, there is much to be learned from the Brits. I mean, they use Wanker... in context! It's probably taught in school over there.

You've only scratched the surface. Not to hijack the thread, but I have Brit friends and the stuff they come up with, hilarious. Look up "Cockney Rhyming Slang" and it will all start to make sense...

Santa
03-02-2012, 01:32 PM
I thought Santa spoke every language?? I also always assumed that you were a big drinker.

•1 oz. Gin
•1 oz. Jack Daniel's
•6 oz. 7-up
•1 wedge Lemon

Mixing Instructions

Add gin to a highball glass filled with ice, and fill the glass almost to the top with 7-up. Slowly add the Jack Daniels to the top of the ice. Add a lemon wedge for garnish.

Haha I moved my operation to Australia. The North Pole was just too damn cold!

Bruiser
03-02-2012, 01:35 PM
Totally CW. I have 200+ NVB and won't be geting anymore. Think long term and not short term. Once your economy gets better and you can support it, you can boost up armor by buying FBI shields.

Then what would you be boosting your attack with??? 16 att with NVB's for 300RP is great value. FCG gives 17att for 800...

frenda
03-02-2012, 01:36 PM

My wife enjoys collecting my money for me. I'm slowly teaching her some stuff and I'm waiting until she decides she wants it on her iPad, lol.

And for us newbs, there's hope then, since we can't quite afford CWs yet. So I'll continue to buy NVBs until I hit about 100 or so.

Bruiser
03-02-2012, 01:39 PM
And for us newbs, there's hope then, since we can't quite afford CWs yet. So I'll continue to buy NVBs until I hit about 100 or so.

Personally 100 is not enough!

frenda
03-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Personally 100 is not enough!

Cool, thanks for the tip! At what level does it not pay to get NVBs anymore?

Bruiser
03-02-2012, 01:43 PM
Depends how you play the game, Im at 350 and feel i could use 400 BUT im chasing CW's and have 160 of them. If you do alot of Pvp and obtain alot of respect you could accumulate NVB's quickly. When to stop is up to you however i feel 300 is a good number for lower ranked players. Think 16/16 is even distribution for both att/def which is vital in those levels.

frenda
03-02-2012, 01:50 PM
I sort of go back and forth, but am doing more PvP for respect points lately. Wasn't sure where the threshold was and figured I'd decide later on. Right now I'm just excited to be able to farm some good loot and buy some good R stuff. Economy is coming along too, but I learn something new every time I click on a thread. Thanks for the info.

Bruiser
03-02-2012, 01:53 PM
There is plenty of good info if you search for it, should help you decide whats best for your playing style but keep chasing those NVB's for now. The Chain Whips come soon after. You are obviously farming M4A1's and DD's will follow

frenda
03-02-2012, 01:57 PM
You're right, tons of good info, almost too much. Reading this forum could be a full-time job. Yes, M4A1s for now until I get enough of them to start worrying about DDs. The more I do this, the more I'm enjoying PvP. PvE has gotten too expensive for now, so I'm seeing more return for my playing time with PvP and building economy, which is like watching paint dry, but is necessary.

frenda
03-02-2012, 02:01 PM
BTW, apologies for hijacking this thread, sort of. If I was in the OP's shoes, I'd def be getting CWs at that point.

Ramshutu
03-02-2012, 02:36 PM
It's a short vs long term thing. I have a similar problem now, having come up across a number of people who have 200 pairs of combat boots vs my 12 boots and 50cw and 50nvbs.

The issue is, that going for boots over NVBs will keep you competitive in the short term, but not in the long term. Going the other way hampers your competivemess in the short term, but with the benefit of making you more competitive over the long term.

Right now, I've given up on yams, and am going for CWs, NVBs and body armour equally, it's a trade off between short and long term, as if I go solely for CWs, I'm likely to suffer in the short term, even with my ever increasing stockpile of M4s.

itzkakarot
03-02-2012, 03:00 PM
Honestly, my strat at this point is to just hoard rep and try to get by on cash items and loot until I really need to spend rep. Since gaining rep is paired with gaining exp, and cash is limited only by time, there's an eventual ceiling to the amount of rep one player will receive but no ceiling on cash.

I just wish I realized this earlier and I wouldn't have bought all those dang Combat Boots...

duder
03-02-2012, 03:01 PM
the real question is - are you currently hurting to find people to rob...

if you're already strong, go CW. If you're looking for a boost because you can't even rob half your rivals' laundromats for the RP, go NVB.

Edit: once you get strong, go CW...

Swifty
03-02-2012, 03:21 PM
That zoot recipe sounds interesting.

Maybe I could try one in between shots of Absinthe.

J-Rizzi
03-02-2012, 05:21 PM
So quick question. I'm level 55, have about 400 mafia. should i buy CW or continue adding to my 14 NVB? My attack is 2940 and defense is 3942. Thanks!

Ramshutu
03-02-2012, 06:05 PM
IMO I would buy both, 2 NVBs for every 1 CW.

Bruiser
03-02-2012, 06:14 PM
So quick question. I'm level 55, have about 400 mafia. should i buy CW or continue adding to my 14 NVB? My attack is 2940 and defense is 3942. Thanks!

Go with the NVB's till you hit the 200 mark that should give you an extra 3200att/def. Disregard the CW's for now. Focus on M4A1's and NVB's

Tramp Stamp
03-02-2012, 06:24 PM
I have 4 NVBs, all rewards, and 65 Chain Whips. Though if I had 2940/3942, for a per-mafia average of 10.69/14.33, at level 55 I'd probably find NVBs very appealing.

Bruiser
03-02-2012, 06:30 PM
Your a stats man TS :)

Tramp Stamp
03-02-2012, 06:37 PM
Did I mention baseball is my summer hobby?

Bruiser
03-02-2012, 06:47 PM
You did now!

Al boss
03-02-2012, 07:17 PM
In regards to accumulating respect, do you rob good r/exp or thug life, because atm I'm only doing thug life

Tramp Stamp
03-02-2012, 07:20 PM
I rob and do fight goals when there are two available at the same time.

J-Rizzi
03-02-2012, 07:39 PM
I have 4 NVBs, all rewards, and 65 Chain Whips. Though if I had 2940/3942, for a per-mafia average of 10.69/14.33, at level 55 I'd probably find NVBs very appealing.

Thank you Bruiser and TS. Very helpful.

Bruiser
03-02-2012, 08:35 PM
Not a drama J-Rizzi, enjoy the game!

Al boss
03-04-2012, 06:07 PM
Then on the other hand im lv55 with 5k atk and 6k def no vehicles or explosives, I should be going chain whips right???

Also sorry for stealing your thread, but I believe your question answered and its on the same topic.

Chironex
03-04-2012, 09:59 PM
Then on the other hand im lv55 with 5k atk and 6k def no vehicles or explosives, I should be going chain whips right???

Also sorry for stealing your thread, but I believe your question answered and its on the same topic.

1 Know how long u will be playing.
2 Create an appropriate/feasible end game equipment fitout given how long you forsee yourself playing cc.
3 Buy the respect item that will best add to your stat gain per respect given that end game fitout.

Al boss
03-04-2012, 10:57 PM
Thankyou that is very helpful and wise advice

Bruiser
03-04-2012, 11:00 PM
Al,

sorry i thought this thread was done and dusted. I agree with Chironex, you need to adapt the weapons to your game play/style and look to the end game stats you want.