PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade defensive buildings or buy more?

mrwhite1
02-28-2012, 04:51 AM
When buying defensive buildings does it usually pay to upgrade them vs buying more?

Hassleham
02-28-2012, 05:07 AM
You should focus on buying and upgrading money buildings first.
Defence buildings are pretty useless.

mrwhite1
02-28-2012, 06:09 AM
I am upgrading my $$$ buildings but I dont want some db to come in and pillage all my bounty..

Aidan
02-28-2012, 06:22 AM
Buy def building bt dnt upgrade them. Concentrate ur money n time on upgrading money,unit n boosts building. The upgrade cost of def building is high so it is better to spend on unit army instead

mrwhite1
02-28-2012, 06:30 AM
Something else I've been wondering... is it better to position defensive buildings to overlap one another? Wasnt sure how much of a difference this really makes..
So units that have good defense are better than upgrading defensive buildings?

Aidan
02-28-2012, 06:41 AM
It will only make a diff if the attcker hv att stat close to ur def. it may swing the battle result. Bt if the attcker way overpower u thn it wont matter. U cn hv 5 def building overlap each othr n u will still lose. Tht's why it's better fr u to set a solid def first. The def building r fr a lil bit extra protection. Upgrade time as u knw r painfully long. It's best if spend it on othr buildings

Agent Orange
02-28-2012, 09:52 AM
I would say build but only upgrade the guard towers if you are starting out.

We really don't know what effect defense buoldings actually have, my best guess is that they won't stop a raid if the opponent is substantially more powerful but I bet they cause high losses. I never went heavy into the bunkers and holding cells but did the max on sams, mine fields and rail guns.

JohnnyR
02-28-2012, 10:07 AM
I go all medics for D. I think it was ShawnBB who pointed out that they are not going into battle. They are like defense towers that are part of your army yet don't go into battle. Only problem is that they do die if you are attacked, however if your d score is high enough you won't be touched. Been raided once in 2 weeks since trying this.

EnjoyLife
02-28-2012, 03:41 PM
I bought all of the defensive buildings. I only upgrade them when I need to kill some time (e.g. waiting to collect on an oil rig before upgrading the oil rig).

War Priest
02-28-2012, 06:32 PM
I only have 5 EMP Cannons. I'll upgrade them when everything else is level 10.

JMC
02-28-2012, 07:25 PM
i've got nothing else to build so i built all the defence buildings. They're decent for some indestructible defence stats. Not sure how helpful they are in raids, but someone with 70% of your strength can beat you in a raid sometimes, so i don't think they help much.

Mcdoc
02-28-2012, 07:40 PM
Im not sure on this one guys. I have a lot of defense buildings scattered about, specifically overlapping my $$$ buildings and I get a lot of "Tooth Fairy" cash left behind by failed raids. To answer your original question, I will be upgrading my defense buildings to save space over the cost and time of expanding to make room for new defense buildings. I have actually sold off most of my bunkers and replaced them with SAM's. They have a smaller footprint and higher defense. PLUS - I like to hide turrets, emps, and SAM's in the shadows of other buildings to surprise rivals who see an enticing money bldg target.

So in the long run, if you were going to upgrade an existing defensive bldg or take the time to expand and build a NEW defensive bldg - I would consider selling any older defensive bldgs to make room for smaller footprint bldgs with higher defense. Either way you're waiting . . . waiting . . . waiting . . . waiting. :)

mrwhite1
03-06-2012, 12:09 PM
What would be the difference in buying defense buildings vs units that have high defense?

JohnnyR
03-06-2012, 05:50 PM
Im not sure on this one guys. I have a lot of defense buildings scattered about, specifically overlapping my $$$ buildings and I get a lot of "Tooth Fairy" cash left behind by failed raids. To answer your original question, I will be upgrading my defense buildings to save space over the cost and time of expanding to make room for new defense buildings. I have actually sold off most of my bunkers and replaced them with SAM's. They have a smaller footprint and higher defense. PLUS - I like to hide turrets, emps, and SAM's in the shadows of other buildings to surprise rivals who see an enticing money bldg target.

So in the long run, if you were going to upgrade an existing defensive bldg or take the time to expand and build a NEW defensive bldg - I would consider selling any older defensive bldgs to make room for smaller footprint bldgs with higher defense. Either way you're waiting . . . waiting . . . waiting . . . waiting. :)

How close were these raiders stats to your own, McDoc? Were these guys evenly matched, hopelessly underpowered to begin with, or did they have stats that would normally give them victory?

JackRakan93
03-06-2012, 11:25 PM
Something else I've been wondering... is it better to position defensive buildings to overlap one another? Wasnt sure how much of a difference this really makes..
So units that have good defense are better than upgrading defensive buildings?

Defense buildings should be staggered throughout your base to provide maximum effect (as well as aesthetic appeal, although some here may argue putting them along rows looks better). However if you have one/two building that you really need to protect (eg lvl 10 munitions, lvl 5+ ore mines), it may be more beneficial just to surround that building(s) with several quality or upgraded defense buildings. Such a tactic is a generally effective deterrent.

Rather than debating, really, just do both. You can never have to much defense.

Air
03-07-2012, 12:09 AM
What would be the difference in buying defense buildings vs units that have high defense?

U don't lose def buildings in combat

JMC
03-07-2012, 05:18 AM
Attackers have a huge advantage during raids and the defense stat that the buildings give you is barely enough to actually protect a building. I just buy it for the indestructible defense, because i havent seen much of a benefit to the buildings around them. Had one of my space centers a while back that was protected by 5 minefields and 2 railguns as well as a couple holding cells. Someone with stats just a bit higher than mine raided it no problem.

Flipmode
03-07-2012, 09:35 AM
Would you ever raid/attack someone unless your attack is significantly better? I just do not see any value in defence buildings given the high cost of expansion/upgrading in time as well as money.

They're never going to put anyone off from attacking me, are unlikely to make a difference to the result and I'd rather spend the cash and builld/upgrade time on improving my economy, unit tech or boost buildings.

EDIT: I do get a few failed attacks on me, but put that down to having a relatively high defence skill and other players not checking stats before attacking, not my few defence buildings.