PDA

View Full Version : The importance of defense

Thepriceswright
02-18-2012, 06:45 AM
I don't really consider this to be a technical issue, however I am vey curious ast to how important defense is in the game. I am a level 61, I i have 5000 attack and almost 10,000 defense. The issue I am having is robberies. It seems as though just about anyone can take from anyone. I have been losing anywhere from 1000 to 10,000 at a given time, by players with no more then 6000 attack and defense. It just does not seem right that I work so hard on protecting my assets and obtaining this higher defense for it to just be tossed asside. Is there any explaination to this? Are robberies just luck of the draw? If so is there any way to decrease the odds of me losing?

Thank you for listening, I apologize since I see this is more of a rant.

Fricco
02-18-2012, 06:48 AM
If so is there any way to decrease the odds of me losing?

Collect on time...

thspiral
02-18-2012, 06:55 AM
Yeah no matter what you do, if you have buildings sitting ready to collect, they are going to be robbed. A month a go I switched to 100% 24/48 buildings so I only have to collect once a day. It has made the game SO much more enjoyable for me. When I sold my other buildings I lost income but it's getting back. I collect 1.3 million each night and am preparing to put in my second hotel to add another 300Kish. If being robbed stresses you I would highly recommend this. I have not been robbed once in a month. :)

Thepriceswright
02-18-2012, 07:00 AM
Yeah it's lame that is comes to that, but I think I will give that a shot, so i can cut back on the amount I need to collect. Thanks guys.

Jill
02-18-2012, 07:08 AM
Yeah no matter what you do, if you have buildings sitting ready to collect, they are going to be robbed. A month a go I switched to 100% 24/48 buildings so I only have to collect once a day. It has made the game SO much more enjoyable for me. When I sold my other buildings I lost income but it's getting back. I collect 1.3 million each night and am preparing to put in my second hotel to add another 300Kish. If being robbed stresses you I would highly recommend this. I have not been robbed once in a month. :)
So thats why I can't rob u ! Lol.... Sorry I'm drunk already lol

Joeycool
02-18-2012, 07:19 AM
You may get some benefit from reading this thred:

http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?15058-Effect-of-Def-buildings-and-skill-points-against-rob-atk-by-Guru-Peacock-again..lol

Max Power
02-18-2012, 07:58 AM
Yeah it's lame that is comes to that, but I think I will give that a shot, so i can cut back on the amount I need to collect. Thanks guys.

The 12/24/48 strategy is a sound one at higher levels. Unfortunately, you need more than that at lower levels or your economy building will go to slow. Most pf the Type A buildings are not on that schedule, and those building with odd collection times really help build a base for better buildings.

In my camper account pretty much nobody can rob me so the T-Shirt shack is a great building. Pays for itself in only 3 collects, and has good payout to boot. I would never consider it at a higher level. Also, remember that robbed buildings still payout. Instead of focusing on what you lost, focus on what you got. Only sell buildings if you need the space.

Tramp Stamp
02-18-2012, 08:44 AM
The 12/24/48 strategy is a sound one at higher levels. Unfortunately, you need more than that at lower levels or your economy building will go to slow.

Taking Movie Theater and Loft off the table, the Type As that really help are Laundromats and 3 hour buildings (all of them). Techno Club is a nice early 24 hour building if you're willing to spend gold. Upgrades are absurdly cheap and complete quickly.

richard118
02-18-2012, 08:57 AM
Is there any explaination to this? Are robberies just luck of the draw? If so is there any way to decrease the odds of me losing?

Don't feel bad. I am level 87 with a defense of 21,700. This morning someone with an attack of 11K robbed me. At my level, most people have an attack of 10-12K. Granted I only get robbed 20% of time but one is never completely safe. Unless you are willing to do 3-4x defense compared to the highest attack level, you will get robbed.

This is because:
Some peeeps have high attack skill, which is a fudge factor.
Plus Funzio adds in a small "random odds" element, I'm sure. Otherwise, people with low attack would quit.

Just don't fret, I think occasional successful robbing actually makes the gave more fun. Just sync collect your pricey buildings and let others dig at the rest.

Tramp Stamp
02-18-2012, 08:59 AM
You probably have a padded rating due to defense buildings.

Joeycool
02-18-2012, 10:49 AM
Is there any explaination to this? Are robberies just luck of the draw? If so is there any way to decrease the odds of me losing?

Don't feel bad. I am level 87 with a defense of 21,700. This morning someone with an attack of 11K robbed me. At my level, most people have an attack of 10-12K. Granted I only get robbed 20% of time but one is never completely safe. Unless you are willing to do 3-4x defense compared to the highest attack level, you will get robbed.

This is because:
Some peeeps have high attack skill, which is a fudge factor.
Plus Funzio adds in a small "random odds" element, I'm sure. Otherwise, people with low attack would quit.

Just don't fret, I think occasional successful robbing actually makes the gave more fun. Just sync collect your pricey buildings and let others dig at the rest.

Reading this thread may help you:

http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?15058-Effect-of-Def-buildings-and-skill-points-against-rob-atk-by-Guru-Peacock-again..lol

Lars
02-18-2012, 11:20 AM

Hmh, I am at level 90 with a defense of 18,800. Successful robberies on me are quite rare; the last one was more than 10 days ago. Maybe I am just lucky but I guess I am simply not an interesting target to dangerous robbers as most of my income comes from synched 12/24/48h buildings. On a single raid on all the remaining buildings one could only get gain about 1% of my daily income. Also, only a small margin of my defense is coming from upgraded defense buildings, so my real defense should be close to the listed one.

transfer
02-18-2012, 02:34 PM
Mmm, I'm mid level (lv.54) with decent income I believe, 28k/hr.
As I'm low level, most of my income comes from high level 1/3/6 hr buildings, actually I have every building possible for my level including some gold ones (Ice Cream, Smoke Shop, Waffles)

I have a fairly high def for my level / mafia number and only 4 defense buildings total, only 1 that is above lv1. It's easy to say that my def buildings don't contribute to more than 50 def max.

Still, I get robbed about all of the time by people with only 2/3rd of my total def, and even from time to time by people with 1/2 my def.

Just another testimony I guess ;p

Lars
02-18-2012, 03:47 PM
From what I understand, your weapons are cut in half when defending robberies. So having NO defense buildings and being easily robbed is comparable to having many (upgraded) defense buildings and being easily attacked.

Well, the majority in the forum thinks that only level 1 defense buildings contribute to your defense with their listed values. Upgrading increases your defense but with a much smaller gain as you might expect. See for example

As a result many people here prefer to use a great number of gatling guns at level 1 or perhaps up to level 2-3 (small space requirements, increasingly worse cost/defense ratio at higher levels if assumptions are correct).

MaddSkillz
02-18-2012, 04:15 PM
From what I understand, your weapons are cut in half when defending robberies. So having NO defense buildings and being easily robbed is comparable to having many (upgraded) defense buildings and being easily attacked.

Help me understand whats going on with me. I have not been successfully attacked or robbed in a long while. No defense buildings(accept for my one machine gun for the mission.) Tell me what you think of my stats.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a370/Kortnilovesu/photo-5.png

i need muney
02-18-2012, 04:38 PM
Help me understand whats going on with me.
Must....stay...focused...not....use....puberty.... .jokes xO

Tramp Stamp
02-18-2012, 05:13 PM
At 10k defense you're probably in the upper 2% or so. By 59 people are figuring out who to attack and/or rob.

MaddSkillz
02-18-2012, 07:04 PM
At least for me, this far in the game I think buying defense buildings is a waste of money. It pads your defense score and dosent appear to Help you that much with robberies. As of right now I would rather spend the money on good weapons for my mob.

Do defensive buildings make a huge impact later in the game? Should I invest in them now to same time later?

Demoni696
02-18-2012, 11:57 PM
They make less and less of a difference as you get to the higher levels.

Even if you have 50 (max) gatling turrets 25 def or (28 for Tycoon) that is only an total of 1250 def or (1400). At an low level that is a huge amount of extra defense but when you get up to the higher levels and have 20-30k defense that number makes a much smaller difference.

I had a few mid lvl abandoned buildings and about 5 mid level guard towers in my hood. I sold them off in favor of having more space for $ buildings. I will probably sell my 15 turrets to also make room (and they are ugly).

As long as you collect your properties on time and bank your gold your defense dose not matter at all.

Synergy
02-19-2012, 12:35 AM
As long as you collect your properties on time and bank your gold your defense dose not matter at all.

Doesn't matter at all? Maybe if you don't care what your stats look like at all. With no/low/average defense you're going to be successfully attacked all the time. What you said might hold true for robberies (even though it's not really feasible because the average person with a job and/or social life is going to forget to collect on time sometimes...especially if they have an array of buildings with a decent econ). However, your stats will be garbage. I'm not sying to get your defense from defense buildings. Anyone who knows me, knows I would never advocate that. I recommend no defense buildings.

The way I look at it, defense is more important than attack. With a high enough defense, you can sleep well without having to worry about getting robbed and fend off attacks. You can always choose who you attack but you can't control which stronger players want to attack/rob you.

Nudie
02-19-2012, 05:39 AM
I suppose my philosophy is opposite to Synergy's. I don't bother too much with defense as there will always be someone stronger than me who will rob/attack me successfully. My focus is on higher attack so that I can pull off successful robs/attacks more often and have more victims to choose from. As long as I can collect and bank most of my income then there really is not much for anyone to rob from me.

Swifty
02-19-2012, 06:48 AM
I am all about attack, too.

My plan is to steal more from others than they do from me and so far, it has worked.

Maybe at higher levels, it will no longer work.

Tramp Stamp
02-19-2012, 10:50 AM
I am forced to concentrate on defense because what I have is far more lucrative to others than their stuff is to me. However I can basically attack anyone I want except for the [pseudo-]campers who have been stockpiling explosives for months.

pooOnU
02-20-2012, 02:08 AM
MaddSkillz, I went for 3 weeks without being robbed or attacked. Then all of a sudden, I got robbed and attacked. It must be a glitch in the game. Enjoy the ride while you can!

Max Power
02-20-2012, 04:33 AM
I am all about attack, too.

My plan is to steal more from others than they do from me and so far, it has worked.

Maybe at higher levels, it will no longer work.

They get smarter up there, that's for sure. Get ready for scrolling through dozens of hood before finding anything worth your while to fry a bullet on and put yourself on a revenge list. There are great buildings to rob, but people are smart about synching. About the best you can hope for is a building or two just coming off upgrade.

Many people like to just rob everything, but when your economy gets around $200,000, getting a couple three grand from a rob just doesn't excite much.

I don't know about you, but I get pretty bored after a while of going to hood after hood of nothing to rob.

Fricco
02-20-2012, 05:58 AM
Many people like to just rob everything, but when your economy gets around $200,000, getting a couple three grand from a rob just doesn't excite much.

I don't know about you, but I get pretty bored after a while of going to hood after hood of nothing to rob.

+ 1
well said Max

KoolB
02-20-2012, 06:07 AM
Help me understand whats going on with me. I have not been successfully attacked or robbed in a long while. No defense buildings(accept for my one machine gun for the mission.) Tell me what you think of my stats.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a370/Kortnilovesu/photo-5.png

I think you should use the bank... that's a lot of money to be carrying in your pockets in this part of town...

Tramp Stamp
02-20-2012, 06:17 AM
I think you should use the bank... that's a lot of money to be carrying in your pockets in this part of town...

Look at his win ratio for the answer to this.

Tramp Stamp
02-20-2012, 06:19 AM
Get ready for scrolling through dozens of hood before finding anything worth your while to fry a bullet on and put yourself on a revenge list.

I already have to do this. I think a lot of it has to do with how rival lists are constructed. 10 hoods in a row and not even an uncollected Laundromat?

KoolB
02-20-2012, 06:20 AM
pretty impressive... have to admit I missed that...
but then again... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozymandias