PDA

View Full Version : How do robberis and attacks display in an opponent's News?

Nicholost
02-10-2012, 04:55 PM
Let's say I attack a person 10 times in a row without losing to them once. Does their news feed show 10 attacks with the losses for each, or one attack with the total of the ten attacks? How about when I attack them twice successfully, then lose once, then attack twice successfully again. Does that show up in their news feed as loss, win, loss, or loss, loss, win, loss, loss?

Same two questions apply for robberies as well. Does failing to rob a building put a break in the new feed with the successful totals (losses for them) on either side of the failed attempt in their news feed?

I'm just trying to understand what opponents see and then judge how pissed off they'll get when I use them for punching bags while completing winning streak missions.

G Wiz
02-10-2012, 04:59 PM
I have a feeling this relates to whether or not a person attacked the avatar, or used the attack screen because in some instances i see each individual fight/rob, but other times I see large lump sums grouped together along with the money they lost or gained.

Nicholost
02-10-2012, 05:11 PM
I have a feeling this relates to whether or not a person attacked the avatar, or used the attack screen because in some instances i see each individual fight/rob, but other times I see large lump sums grouped together along with the money they lost or gained.
Awww, interesting. I too had seen that, but figured it was a result of attack/rob latency between events; like if the user waits more than xx seconds before attacking again, the client (your device) makes a call to the server with the totals for that attack/robbing spree. Waiting more than xx seconds between attacks, like would be the case when someone is letting their stamina recharge a point before robbing again... then again... then again, would show up as different events in the news feed. (I've written a lot of JS code that behaves like that, which is why I assumed it would be the case.) I hadn't considered that the origin of the attack (rivals list vs their hood) might produce different results. Good think'n.

dudeman
02-10-2012, 05:23 PM
When the opponent doesn't win against me every time in a fight, each fight is shown regardless of result. With robberies the same seems to be true, except every time the opponent is successful I think it becomes grouped.

Sometimes I will see I was robbed for $X, then I won the robbery, then I was robbed for $3X (because the rival robbed two of the same building, but lost once on the first one), then I won again, then I was robbed for $2X (because the rival tried a third building and lost on the first try but won the subsequent two).

k0de
02-10-2012, 05:29 PM
I'm just trying to understand what opponents see and then judge how pissed off they'll get when I use them for punching bags while completing winning streak missions.

Nobody ever really seems to care too much about getting attacked as long as they don't lose any cash, so it's unlikely that anyone's gonna get too pissed off over it. Steal their fake money though, and you'll be in all sorts of trouble.

I've never paid much attention to the way the news feed is structured but looking at mine now I'd guess that successive wins or losses are combined into a single item.

dudeman
02-10-2012, 05:55 PM
I have also noticed that even if the opponent wins every fight, if they wait at least a minute between attacks they tend to show up separately.

@k0de, in game cash is irrelevant when discussing the effect each attack has on news feed display. The real issue is whether or not you spam a rivals news by doing PvP and either not being 100% successful, or purposely staggering your attacks.

KoolB
02-10-2012, 06:01 PM
If you really want to hit the news feed....
robbing / fighting alternately does the trick... its more effective than staggering your hits... to make it even more annoying you could target the Laundromats for the robs... just to make it crystal that its not the cash you're after...
sometimes it's not business its personal... :D

dudeman
02-10-2012, 06:05 PM
If you really want to hit the news feed....
robbing / fighting alternately does the trick... its more effective than staggering your hits... to make it even more annoying you could target the Laundromats for the robs... just to make it crystal that its not the cash you're after...
sometimes it's not business its personal... :D

News feed spamming is still spamming, and this proves the point that it can be done intentionally and maliciously. Will Funzio fix it? Probably not.

KoolB
02-10-2012, 08:20 PM
News feed spamming is still spamming, and this proves the point that it can be done intentionally and maliciously. Will Funzio fix it? Probably not.

Yes it is spamming... and quite obviously deliberate... and there are times when ppl in this game will annoy you to the point that you would want to retaliate with such measures... thats part of the game...

The other option that you always have is to go crying to Funzio everytime someone robs / attacks you... but I guess they will just tell you that you are supposed to be playing Crime City... not Dress-up-Barbie...

If you can't take the heat stay out of the kitchen dude...

dudeman
02-10-2012, 08:53 PM
It's not about the money. It never was.

Nicholost
02-11-2012, 10:46 AM
When the opponent doesn't win against me every time in a fight, each fight is shown regardless of result. With robberies the same seems to be true, except every time the opponent is successful I think it becomes grouped.

Sometimes I will see I was robbed for $X, then I won the robbery, then I was robbed for $3X (because the rival robbed two of the same building, but lost once on the first one), then I won again, then I was robbed for $2X (because the rival tried a third building and lost on the first try but won the subsequent two).

I have also noticed that even if the opponent wins every fight, if they wait at least a minute between attacks they tend to show up separately.
After thinking more about this, I think you're right. Attacks and robberies are always grouped until one of two events breaks the grouping; 1) the attacker fails an attack/robbery or 2) they wait a certain amount of time between attacks/robberies. From a programming perspective, this makes the most sense. I've written quite a few JS functions that will queue client events until a trigger is hit (time lapse or other event) before making a call to the server and passing a data set, no just one value. I'll bet they're doing the same, which would mean 10 successful attacks in a row would appear on the victim's new feed as one single attack with the loss total. Perfect. :D Thanks for the help, fellas.

Chiefer
02-11-2012, 11:05 AM
Let's say I attack a person 10 times in a row without losing to them once. Does their news feed show 10 attacks with the losses for each, or one attack with the total of the ten attacks? How about when I attack them twice successfully, then lose once, then attack twice successfully again. Does that show up in their news feed as loss, win, loss, or loss, loss, win, loss, loss?

Same two questions apply for robberies as well. Does failing to rob a building put a break in the new feed with the successful totals (losses for them) on either side of the failed attempt in their news feed?

What happens is you spam their wall up and remove their ability to use the system properly for its intended use of retaliation. Yes, it is a problem because a lot of people have feuds going on and, your a stranger throwing a sack of sand in their eyes. We need this fixed.

Chiefer
02-11-2012, 11:08 AM
After thinking more about this, I think you're right. Attacks and robberies are always grouped until one of two events breaks the grouping; 1) the attacker fails an attack/robbery or 2) they wait a certain amount of time between attacks/robberies. From a programming perspective, this makes the most sense. I've written quite a few JS functions that will queue client events until a trigger is hit (time lapse or other event) before making a call to the server and passing a data set, no just one value. I'll bet they're doing the same, which would mean 10 successful attacks in a row would appear on the victim's new feed as one single attack with the loss total. Perfect. :D Thanks for the help, fellas.

I can take a picture and prove that it doesn't work right. It would work if you won and or lost exactly the same amounts every single time. But that is not how the game
works.

Nicholost
02-11-2012, 11:29 AM
I can take a picture and prove that it doesn't work right. It would work if you won and or lost exactly the same amounts every single time. But that is not how the game
works.
Yes, please do. That's exactly what I'm looking for.

To be clear, I have no interest in spamming anyone's hood. In fact, I want the opposite. :rolleyes: If I attack someone 10 times and win all ten without hitting either of the two triggers (streak break or time lapse), I'm confident the victim's news feed will only display a single post with their losses and not 10 individual events.