PDA

View Full Version : Is the game Modern War, or Modern Base Builder? Opinions desired

Speed ump
01-27-2012, 05:18 PM
I wanted to see what general opinion is here. I hear so mny complain so loudly, that I wonder if they would prefer a game where the goal is just to build a bigger badder base for show. I enjoy the attack, raid, defend part of the game. I feel that building your base is to facilitate this with money to buy units, etc. I hear from many who just wnt to be left alone to build their bases. While I dont personally feel this is the point of this particular game, I just wonder if they would be happy with a game more like railroad tycoon, or sims. If the game is war, I want war involved. I have heard interesting ideas here about forming alliances, etc, and hopefully Funzio will incorporate a few of the better ones. I know since I have a high power level, that I might feel this way. Before I got there I got taken for a lot of money many times, as I was slow to grow my vault and make good defenses. 300k at a time until they weakened me, numerous times. I still enjoyed the game and learning how to do things better. It was a slow process, but I enjoyed it all the way, bruises and all. I'd like to hear what others here may think about this. Do you prefer the base building part of the game most, would you prefer this to be the main goal of the game? Or do you prefer the thrill of the battle the most. Or maybe something altogether different.

Deskjockey
01-27-2012, 05:45 PM
I prefer the PvP attack/raid aspect of the game, frankly. The base-building I find tolerable, but not really fulfilling on its own. I like war--both make-believe and real. Wait, did I say that last part out loud? Never mind...

ShawnBB
01-27-2012, 11:15 PM
Here is my interest distribution

40%for the base construct, 10%for the decoration, 25%on casualty test and army units research, 15%for the defense, 10%for the raiding fighting part.

I hope it can turn into MW base builder! So there wont be any freaking "did i really lose that much units?" thread everyday.

IM a crazy fan of ROLLER--COAST TYCOON!!!!

JMC
01-28-2012, 12:03 AM
Like the pvp part. Last 2 weeks been boring.

Aidan
01-28-2012, 01:28 AM
Of coz the pvp. N i think the majority feel the same. Bt for the last couple of weeks i feel as if we r forced into the modern base builder... I rly hope the upcoming pvp revamp will make it as exciting again if nt more.

Tanner
01-28-2012, 01:50 AM
just did a raid on a guy 2K def w/ my ~4K attack and lost more than I made in terms of cash... i don't think PvP is fixed yet. However, the new buildings are out and that's pretty exciting...so yeah, I suppose I like both of those. Oh, and also what Shawn said, about trying to figure out the casualty rate and tie it to something predictable.

Wildfire
01-28-2012, 01:56 AM
Every time I open the game I want to be able to use all my energy and stamina, last few weeks it's just been the energy and that has been pretty dull. This game needs payable PVP or it will die for me.

JackoV
01-28-2012, 03:17 AM
It is: ''Modern Farmer''..

now I hate Funzio more... -20% discount >_> yesterday/2days ago purchased for like 500 bucks.. yay no discount FUUUUUUUU

Guys go play this game: http://alliances.commandandconquer.com/en/

I hope you get a Beta key :P.. I already got it :))) Alot more fun! XD

KCh
01-28-2012, 05:51 AM
I like the PVP part 👍

[][][][][]

Guyver01
01-28-2012, 11:11 AM
01-28-2012, 10:17 PMJackoV
now I hate Funzio more... -20% discount >_> yesterday/2days ago purchased for like 500 bucks.. yay no discount FUUUUUUUU
I hope you get a Beta key :P.. I already got it )) Alot more fun! XD

Hey JackoV,

Thanks for the info, looks nice as I am a big fan of C&C before...
Is it playable now or not? I did not get my beta key yet... How long do you have to wait?
If the dev not fixing the casualty bug quickly then I will switch...

Cheers

JMC
01-28-2012, 12:47 PM

I hope you get a Beta key :P.. I already got it :))) Alot more fun! XD

So you hate funzio and you went and spent $500 on their game for a few troops and buildings? Good use of your money.

Maverick50727
01-28-2012, 02:25 PM
...I enjoy the attack, raid, defend part of the game. I feel that building your base is to facilitate this with money to buy units, etc.....I know since I have a high power level, that I might feel this way. Before I got there I got taken for a lot of money many times, as I was slow to grow my vault and make good defenses. 300k at a time until they weakened me, numerous times. I still enjoyed the game and learning how to do things better. It was a slow process, but I enjoyed it all the way, bruises and all. I'd like to hear what others here may think about this. Do you prefer the base building part of the game most, would you prefer this to be the main goal of the game? Or do you prefer the thrill of the battle the most. Or maybe something altogether different.

Speed ump, I'm new to the forum and don't wish to offend you or anyone. While our paths have not crossed yet, when they do, it sounds like I will have no choice but to join you as an ally if you will have me.

I enjoy the game with all the issues. Base building and the advantages it provides is part of the game, but in the end this is supposed to be a strategy war game. Economy and supplies is a part of any war though. My biggest gripe is people complaining about unit loss, especially those that expect none. Yes there will be losses in war!!! Random loss is good as it adds challenge to the game. IMO a game with no challenge is not worth playing. If people don't want to lose any units in battle their choice was provided in 1983 by WOPR/Joshua in War Games -"A strange game. The only winning move is not to play...". In earlier levels I got pounded repeatedly, but instead of posting foul language on rival walls like some, I would salute them for catching me and my money unprotected. I didn't get a good grasp unfortunately on the logic of the game until I was in the 40's when everything seems to change. But change is good. The only constant is change. If your strategy isn't working, change it! It you can't beat them, join them! That is called an "ally".

With that said even I am unhappy with the high losses in recent weeks. There is random and challenging vs. the Kobayashi Maru. We don't have the luxury of reprogramming the no-win game. I lost 1,000's of points off my stats and many $$$ in lost units. My losses increased tenfold I noticed from one day to the next and thought at first it was something I needed to do and adjust my strategy against a certain player. I reached out to the attackers asking questions, I looked at their stats, unit makeup, my max unit, unit "strong against" ratios, strongest items being brought vs meat shields, nation advantages, base defenses of rivals, etc. But due to the losses to high $$ and valor units, I took the WOPR stance and stopped all attacking from me for days. Before I stopped though, I did tests attacking weaker, equal and stronger rivals, but I lost more valor units in 10 straight attacks against weaker ones than I did in a week's worth of previous attacks!!! I even lost multiple valors (hornets included) against a person with 1/10 def vs. my attack, no base defenses, no nation advantage, didn't have high end gold units, and I wasn't even over my max unit capacity for my allies and level, so all my high casualty meat shields were in play. I stopped attacks for several days and when I resumed the losses were not as damaging as before, but the casualty rate has never been same since. I'm like others in the fact that something drastic happened to at least some of us. I thought maybe it was even a temporary rebalancing efforts put in place by the devs to combat complaints about people who cheated with the crack to give themselves 1,000's in free valor points.

Please don't take the above as whining, just stating the facts. I still play the game every day and will adjust my strategy. I could easily take the knowledge that I have gained in the last few weeks and feel if I started over, I could be 5 times more powerful by the time I reached same level where I'm at now. But where would the fun and challenge be in that? Knowledge is power and when I feel it is the right time I may post a blog thread for newbies of possible strategies to use and what not to do. I have to keep my recently learned secrets that way for now to see if I can overcome 2 weeks of beat down and high casualties.

JackoV
01-28-2012, 02:51 PM
So you hate funzio and you went and spent $500 on their game for a few troops and buildings? Good use of your money.

Now I ?hate? them because.. they came with 20% discount.. right after the day I bought alot gold xD.

It's like your buying a laptop for 2000 bucks.. and the next day all other people get it for 1600 bucks.. (I'm sure you will be like FUUUUU) ;p

About my spending.. Ive spent $1000 bucks for sure but mostly for building / upgrading immediately :p. (Yeah I dont have patience)

I noticed that goldunits are usefull on lower ranks.. with low allies. I'm now level 82, and when you get more allies the effect of gold units get much lower..So I bought all the expensive buildings and going to upgrade them.. to get more $/h.

Or I have to spend like I guess $20.000 to be godlike.. I aint that stupid lol..

Cheers!

Speed ump
01-28-2012, 03:21 PM
I resemble that last remark;) at least about the money, I assume you meant 20k. Maverick, I can appreciate your thoughts, getting nasty never helps, and actually draws unwanted attention. A hint, since you are having casualty problems from attacking, even I was, switch to raiding. You won't have the loses since you are not attacking directly. Attack only money buildings of higher dollar values, takes some patience, but at your level it doesn't take as much. My appetite has grown quite large,and I have the ability to not have to worry about my rivals strength

MWnewGuy
01-28-2012, 03:54 PM
I agree the PVP is what the base building is all about. Without PVP I would not play.

I do wish Funzio would publish the attack logic though. I think having losses in a battle is fine, however we should all know the risks going in and have the ability to adjust our armies based on our own strategy.

CJ54
01-29-2012, 05:56 PM

Dude. If something like this happens, send us an in-game contact and we'll take a look. We wouldn't post discount numbers and then not give you a discount.

EDIT: Oh, look at me, reading comprehension fail.

Burner_t
01-30-2012, 09:23 AM
I'm going with Modern Base Builder for now. :cool: Gotta get my economy up before I go nuts attacking. The loss rate is so high that I need to be able to replace the units I'm losing. Camping at level 29 for now...I'll have my first level 10 building by this afternoon. OOOO-Rah! I've been a free player but almost sprung for some gold on the last "sale." Damn payday was a day too late. LOL!

chuck norris
01-30-2012, 10:49 AM
What type of a fool would willfully spend cash on a base-builder game. A fool or a freak. shudder.

Ideally, the base, the economy, the units, the strategy ALL EXIST FOR WAR. In this game, the terms for war are RAIDING and ATTACKING. It is pretty clear that the main appeal or drawing force in this game is the competition. What video game does not have COMPETITION as it's core??? What other appeal is there? Obviously, this sense of competition and rivalry is what encourages and compels the use of real MONEY. So which competitive aspect of Modern War will likely compel the more users to spend? Base design, or military logistics, or the quality of one's army units, or the size of a vault or even the attack score of an entire army? None of these aspects are as compelling as WAGING WAR, when you take ALL those aspects, the sum of all those individual efforts and strategies, and USE them to WIN. The winning of battles, finding a stash of cash, taking someone else's money to build a better army, isn't that the fun?

The game should revolve around PVP.

So, if the majority of players think the PVP is broken, unbalanced, and generally counterproductive useless and self destructive, ummm.....

Yeah.

Cheers.:cool:

Burner_t
01-30-2012, 11:06 AM
Guess I fit the bill Chuck. I've got 631:24 fight & 182:3 raid win loss ratios. Lately I've been getting my ass handed to me in unit losses whenever I attack. Not complaining...I expect it. With only 972 attack and 1537 defense scores, I cannot afford to keep losing units w/o replacing them. I've got to get my economy clicking a little better.

As long as we are talking strategies for war, history is littered with examples of victors outspending their enemy. Why in the he!! would I want to rush into battle (ala leveling up) when I can't even sustain a viable war machine? <Rhetorical>

chuck norris
01-30-2012, 11:57 AM
Guess I fit the bill Chuck.

I'm not sure what you mean here but, I wanna make clear I absolutely did not have any particular person in mind throughout my entire post.

procsyzarc
01-30-2012, 12:36 PM
I kinda like the high unit losses.....for now. Normally I just pvp and level fast however with the state of the game atm it is forcing me to build up the economy which should make the game more fun if they ever fix the unit lossess, if not guess i wasted my time and will just end up deleting the game

Maverick50727
01-30-2012, 12:48 PM
I resemble that last remark;) at least about the money, I assume you meant 20k. Maverick, I can appreciate your thoughts, getting nasty never helps, and actually draws unwanted attention. A hint, since you are having casualty problems from attacking, even I was, switch to raiding.
Thanks for the tip. But unfortunately everyone at my level has the money protected by high vaults. Raids even net me 5-6 times loss. But I'm going to try a few things.

BTW, yes I'm pretty sure I know more about you than you do me. LOL. I may be new to posting on the forums, but I have read a lot. I don't really hold things against gold players who fight fair, it is those that attack repeatedly and don't go on to the next player. I also don't turtle to build every income building up before playing the game as some, but I may slow leveling. But to just base build defeats the purpose of the game IMO. Like I say, to each his own. There are no right or wrong ways or strategies just successful ones that allow you to reach your goals.

FYI, I can't spend that much so I may never be the biggest fish, but once the bug is fixed I plan on making it to the 90-100 level as either a free non-gold or only use gold for defensive and money producing items, never attack units. At least this time around I want the challenge. That is my goal to make it higher, not the highest or the best win-loss ratio. Maybe we will be allies at some point

Speed ump
01-30-2012, 02:54 PM
If you raid, then make sure the persons defense buildings are not too high, look before you raid, nd look at their overall level. I know people scream when higher levels attack, but you have to do what what's best for you, not them. Attack at your oponents weakest point. I don't have an option but to attack those lower than me, but even if you do have the option, look for ways to get the most for the least. Find someone low enough you can take him on and not get stomped head to head, but raid him for his money buildings that he hasn't harvested. Just go for the bigger ones, which are the ones that take longer to pay out. The quicker ones don't pay much to make it worth your while. I have stopped adding to my energy to complete missions s they don't pay at my level, but I always added to the other, so you don't have to use gold to buy more. Try not to use all if you think someone might come back at you that is close in your power level so you can attack back, unless you find some really juicy buildings. This stamina refreshes very quickly anyways. I had someone ask why I would help others with info not keep this to myself so I can take more advantage of others, but I like it better when my opens are more of a challenge. A good lower level player can keep me from taking much of anything from them. And they don't have to be too high to raid my base, at least not to my level, as all that power does not come into play.i know my base is harder than most, but not impossible. I think just the threat of retribution keeps them at bay. I learned something new last night and had to adjust my thinking. I had felt I had enough power that I did not need to concern myself with the new buildings, but a fellow I'm in ok with, took advantage of my ignorance and used the gold sale to build and max out his boost buildings. He then had about the same strength as me ans was ale to attack and win several of the attacks. I barely was able to weaken him, figured out what he had done, and did the same myself. I enjoyed that he gave me a run for my money.

Speed ump
01-30-2012, 03:25 PM
Chuck I agree with your thoughts. The game is war. I don't have a problem if someone wats to play the base builder part, but I do mind when they get nasty and want me just to leave them alone to play the game. I have had some ask nicely why I attack, I explain my thoughts, and then they usually just say ok. It's the nasty and profane ones I have a problem with. I had two that just would not stop posting like that, so I pounded them constantly to try to get them to stop. One said that he had asked me to to be allies but I did not accept. I told him that the act of acting was not the act of me accepting. The other I guess maybe I attacked him once, did not even remember the name at all, and just started posting profanity and personal insults. I asked him to stop, no need to get that nasty, but would not. He drew attention to himself , so I attacked until it hurt, he still would not stop posting, which is all that I asked. Now he has finally stopped since he could not play from attacks. I even told them I rarely saw them in my rival list, so I could not be hurting them too much. They attacked me with much lower level, leaving their adress for me to attack back. This type of player obviously needs to ind another game where the stress levels are much lower for them, like railroad tycoon, sims, etc. I really don't mind at all tht some people prefer the building part. It's what they enjoy, and I say do what you enjoy. But if you don't enjoy what the game is designed to be, just don't expect the rest of the comunity to conform to your wishes. Maybe someday this game could morph into base builder. If it does, then I will have to decide if I enjoy it any longer or not. I don't want to try to force the majority to change just for me. Sorry for the rambling, I just don't get the people who fel the need to insult other. Funny thing is some of them have the same types of posts from other players about being attacked by them. If you can't take it, don't dish it.

Maverick50727
01-31-2012, 07:09 AM
Thanks for the tips Speed ump!!! I agree on your point of helping others as it makes for better opponents. I do that all the time via wall posts if they ask. I said before I may make a blog at some point for tips but will hold off for a while, not because I want to keep all my secrets, but because I am new and still learning. I want to get the facts right and it is hard not to offend people with their strategies. FYI, something is broken in this game at least for me, others report high but not critical loses. For instance, I already took into account on unsuccessful raids many of the things you said. I had a 5X loss on a person with 1/3 def vs my attack, same Nation:US as me so no advantage there, and rival only had 1 defensive level 3 guard tower (insane low at 60's level) and the building I raided wasn't even in range, rival was 3 levels below mine and they only had 3 gold units. I'm trying not to whine, but state facts. I just haven't been able to explain the recent changes in the last few weeks other than a bug. I'm just still trying to adapt the strategies to see if I can find a way around the bug, so I can attack again. ELOL!!! It is the unknown like the effects of Skill Defense points that I can't see on my rivals that have me wondering. Do you know the formula for skill points? Of course I would have to have someone I lost against to volunteer their skill stats. Thanks again for the assists.

Tanner
01-31-2012, 07:40 AM
Thanks for the tips Speed ump!!! I agree on your point of helping others as it makes for better opponents. I do that all the time via wall posts if they ask. I said before I may make a blog at some point for tips but will hold off for a while, not because I want to keep all my secrets, but because I am new and still learning. I want to get the facts right and it is hard not to offend people with their strategies. FYI, something is broken in this game at least for me, others report high but not critical loses. For instance, I already took into account on unsuccessful raids many of the things you said. I had a 5X loss on a person with 1/3 def vs my attack, same Nation:US as me so no advantage there, and rival only had 1 defensive level 3 guard tower (insane low at 60's level) and the building I raided wasn't even in range, rival was 3 levels below mine and they only had 3 gold units. I'm trying not to whine, but state facts. I just haven't been able to explain the recent changes in the last few weeks other than a bug. I'm just still trying to adapt the strategies to see if I can find a way around the bug, so I can attack again. ELOL!!! It is the unknown like the effects of Skill Defense points that I can't see on my rivals that have me wondering. Do you know the formula for skill points? Of course I would have to have someone I lost against to volunteer their skill stats. Thanks again for the assists.

Mav, what level are you? I'm up for sharing info from you raiding and attacking me as long as you're willing to return the favor. Pls send me an email to christanner. I use gmail. I'm pretty much just vaulting, building and upgrading right now. You could call it straight up camping. I don't do anything that will CAUSE me to get EXP. b/c I really like the game and want to save it (b/c it is finite) and want to have the maximum amount of enjoyment out of it after they fix the PvP bug.

Maverick50727
01-31-2012, 07:42 AM
Speed ump, Off topic but I learned something last Saturday day when I upgraded to 1.3. Unfortunately I held off on the upgrade for days as I read the forum and saw the complaints with people not seeing the boost buildings. I had 60+ day upgrades, new buildings and expansions in the works. I tried to let them all finish before I upgraded to see if it helped, then I found out it was a phased deployment late Fri. Being paranoid and wanting to know what else they sneaked in, I still took snapshots of all my stats and screenshots of units costs and my unit makeup. Everything really stayed the same but I noticed a discrepancy, I lost 4 units and A/D went down slightly. I had 0 attacks after the upgrade but lost units? WTF. I did have 1 lost attack 1hr (2 units) and 1 lost raid 4 hrs (2 units) before I upgraded. Units lost in legacy attack/raids were 1 drone, 1 jeep, and 1 avenger, 1 amphibious trooper respectively. Could these be my 4 sudden lost units??? Since I took screens shots of my unit makeup before the upgrade, I went back and checked. Yes, those 4 units strengths dropped by 1 and equated to my A/D loss. Point that was proven is that losses reported in news feeds are not instantly reflected in your unit count and stats!!! I had as much as a 4 hour delay. You may already know this but it was news to me and explained why my numbers didn't add up exactly sometimes in the past.

Wildfire
01-31-2012, 09:19 AM
Speed ump, Off topic but I learned something last Saturday day when I upgraded to 1.3. Unfortunately I held off on the upgrade for days as I read the forum and saw the complaints with people not seeing the boost buildings. I had 60+ day upgrades, new buildings and expansions in the works. I tried to let them all finish before I upgraded to see if it helped, then I found out it was a phased deployment late Fri. Being paranoid and wanting to know what else they sneaked in, I still took snapshots of all my stats and screenshots of units costs and my unit makeup. Everything really stayed the same but I noticed a discrepancy, I lost 4 units and A/D went down slightly. I had 0 attacks after the upgrade but lost units? WTF. I did have 1 lost attack 1hr (2 units) and 1 lost raid 4 hrs (2 units) before I upgraded. Units lost in legacy attack/raids were 1 drone, 1 jeep, and 1 avenger, 1 amphibious trooper respectively. Could these be my 4 sudden lost units??? Since I took screens shots of my unit makeup before the upgrade, I went back and checked. Yes, those 4 units strengths dropped by 1 and equated to my A/D loss. Point that was proven is that losses reported in news feeds are not instantly reflected in your unit count and stats!!! I had as much as a 4 hour delay. You may already know this but it was news to me and explained why my numbers didn't add up exactly sometimes in the past.

I've found that closing and reopening the game is sometimes the best way to make sure the attack and defence scores are accurate. The only other way that definitely updates them is to buy a unit.

Maverick50727
01-31-2012, 09:56 AM
Maybe the unit buy works. I closed everything and powered off my Iphone 4s before upgrading. I can't swear that the screen shot was before of after the power cycle, but I didn't notice it changing until after the install but true I may have overlooked it after the cycle. I'll try to check it I notice delays again. Thx.

Speed ump
01-31-2012, 12:39 PM
I lost about 2k of strength after the upgrade, I did not pay attention to all my units, etc, so I don't know whre the loses came fom, but definitely not attacks:) I don't have a fel at all for how the magic dust attack and defense skill points. At one ime I read someone here had posted they had no effect and to build stamina and strength instead. I chose to believe it does have some effect, to what extent I have no idea. I do know that I don't lose any units in attacks or raids against buildings, except the new boost buildings, which I do lose a few. The only other exception, as much as I hate to admit it, is some of general insanes buildins I will lose a few units, but not for anyone else. I don't buy his clock bs, but there's something oing on there.

nickname
01-31-2012, 02:07 PM
Back to the OP, here's a suggestion that Funzio is sure to ignore. Why don't they allow players to opt in to PvP? For example, in order to attack someone on your rival list, you should have to flip a "switch" that will allow you to attack/raid but also make you available to attack/raid for 24-48hrs. If players want to go PvP, they have to be aware of the consequences and be ready to take an attack or two over that time period. Once the time period is up, they can switch back to a protected "base building" mode if they want...but they can't attack anyone else. That way, people who want to build their base and have a low A/D score can have their merry way and the devs don't have to "protect" them with ridiculously skewed casualty losses. Anyone with > lvl50 should automatically be in for PvP with no skewed loss statistics.

Seen this on other games and it works quite well.

Maverick50727
01-31-2012, 02:54 PM
Mav, what level are you? I'm up for sharing info from you raiding and attacking me as long as you're willing to return the favor....

Maverick Nation:USA LV60 and been holding for week. I may hit you up in a day or two. I'm hesitant in giving out my ID yet as I get bombarded with requests. I had been testing some theories on # allies and how it affects rivals list and possible losses. Sad thing is I had 403 allies (only need 300) and in the last day dropped my allies down to 300. Only to finish the latest attack strength goal to have it replaced by a 400 allies goal. I had never seen a goal for allies before. Didn't know it existed. Just my luck, I guess I'll have to add them back now at some point. LOL.