PDA

View Full Version : Building advice

Holicaholic
01-13-2012, 08:13 AM
I am level 66 right now and have, among other buildings, two movie theaters and two Dominican Restaurants. While upgrading these what should my next purchases be? The Lofts seem to be what everyone goes for next but those are kind of expensive to me right now. My income/hour is only $10860 :(

Ohaithere
01-13-2012, 08:16 AM
I'm level 50 with 2 Dominican one lv 1 one lv 4 and building loft now, movie theatre worth it? My income is like 6 k per hour nearly all buildings lv 1

Amber_
01-13-2012, 08:17 AM
Hi! What buildings do you have available?

Amber_
01-13-2012, 08:21 AM
I'm level 50 with 2 Dominican one lv 1 one lv 4 and building loft now, movie theatre worth it? My income is like 6 k per hour nearly all buildings lv 1

I would have bought the movie theatres first and upgraded them to lvl 2 before building the lofts. If you've already bought a loft, go for 2 movie theatres next! They are great and will provide you on higher levels as well.

Holicaholic
01-13-2012, 08:50 AM
I've got a decent bit available, but I don't want to buy gold. Here is what I can buy:

Arcade (have one already)
Italian Restaurant (have one already)
Fish Store
Chinese Restaurant
Clothing Store
Bagel Shop
Meat Factory
History Museum
Sports Bar
Collection Agency
Seafood Restaurant
Shoe Store
Wholesale Warehouse
Internet Company
Comedy Club
Fancy Restaurant
Beachside Inn
Brownstone
Flower Shop
Loft
Beach Nightclub

scp33
01-13-2012, 08:58 AM
I would have bought the movie theatres first and upgraded them to lvl 2 before building the lofts. If you've already bought a loft, go for 2 movie theatres next! They are great and will provide you on higher levels as well.

So...in your opinion, Lofts are a better move than the Beachside Inn? Guess it probably depends on how much $$$ you have as to whether or not you can pinch off a loft, huh? I'm in the same position. Have my second movie theatre going up and contemplating what's next. Have two, Dominican's and soon to be 2 movie theatres. Was contemplating the beachside next...or what about the brownstone?

Tramp Stamp
01-13-2012, 09:26 AM
So...in your opinion, Lofts are a better move than the Beachside Inn?

Yes.

Guess it probably depends on how much $$$ you have as to whether or not you can pinch off a loft, huh?

In my opinion you shouldn't build anything until all Movie Theaters and Lofts are complete.

what about the brownstone?

Ehhhh. It's a suitable complement once you've built all the other high income buildings.

Holicaholic
01-13-2012, 10:16 AM
So your advice is Lofts, then Beachside Inn/Brownstone?

Tramp Stamp
01-13-2012, 10:21 AM
If those are the three candidates, then yes. If you don't mind low or odd payout buildings also build the Beach Nightclub, Comedy Club, and Wholesale Warehouse before Brownstone.

Holicaholic
01-13-2012, 11:06 AM
I'm just curious, why not work your way up to that?

Tramp Stamp
01-13-2012, 11:53 AM
You mean stuff like Chinese Restaurants, Clothing Stores, and History Museums? They aren't worth the space they take up. Build them if it's your goal to have everything, but they should still come after you've taken a bunch of expansions and have built all the better buildings.

Dorian Gray
01-13-2012, 11:54 AM
I'm just curious, why not work your way up to that?

If you're talking about buying a Loft, you get the biggest bang for your buck. That makes it worth saving for and building before those other less expensive buildings.

duder
01-13-2012, 11:56 AM
I'd have thought from Holicaholic's list the italian restaurant would be the obvious choice?

Though I guess it comes down to the amount of space you have...

Tramp Stamp
01-13-2012, 11:57 AM
I missed that he had only one Italian Restaurant. Building a second is highly recommended.

dudeman
01-13-2012, 12:10 PM
You mean stuff like Chinese Restaurants, Clothing Stores, and History Museums? They aren't worth the land they take up. Build them if it's your goal to have anything, but they should still come after you've taken a bunch of expansions and have built all the better buildings.

Can you name more money buildings that you feel are "not worth it"?

I don't want to start another debate about defense buildings but obviously there is some benefit to having some. Any recommendations regarding which defense buildings are "not worth it"? Should all Gatling Gun Turrets be built before considering other buildings?

I have a small space to work with while my hood expands (e.t.c. Sunday some-time), and I am trying to figure out what to do with it. The space I have is a little odd shaped, 5x8 and 4x8, so 16 squares across by 5 on one side and 4 on the other. I could build a deli, or barbershop, or tat parlors, but really, no. Those won't help me.

The only cash money buildings that I can fit in that space are either out of my current price range, or obsolete. I could build a sniper's den, but I am reluctant to do so due to it's footprint.

All I really need are tips on what to avoid. I have a pretty good idea already, but I'm in no hurry and would rather see some feedback than just tap away.

Edit: (posts were made as I wrote mine) Are Italian Restaurants really that beneficial? I have one, I thought about the second, then I filled up the space with other stuff. At one point I wanted to adopt the 12/24/48 strategy, but that doesn't seem to be happening any time soon.

duder
01-13-2012, 12:20 PM
My take: the benefit of the buildings you listed as obsolete is they all have strong returns and get pretty decent - they are key stepping stones to being able to increase your economy. If you've managed to get to a decent income / hr without them, you probably have strong alternative sources of income.

The italian restaurant caps out at 11,550k income / 3 hours at level 10 with tycoon. For it's overall cost this is pretty good. Granted, with a 6x6 footprint, this can be a little pricey in terms of space - long term the higher end buildings that were listed will result in a higher income per square, but with a 10k per hour income, an italian restaurant is probably right in the wheelhouse of what you would want to build.

scp33
01-13-2012, 12:25 PM
it's probably been discussed before...but any thoughts on selling buildings some money buildings you started with but could now make better use of the space with higher revenue buildings? I'm really trying to play catch up and kind of employing some of these strategies with the ol' hindsight is 20/20 strategy.

Tramp Stamp
01-13-2012, 12:33 PM
The problem is most players can't afford expansions fast enough to viably support a large amount of early Type B buildings and they will reach a point where they need to decide to keep, say, a level 1 Clothing Store or to sell it to make room for an Internet Company. If the building can serve the player long enough until it comes time to sell then that's fine, but ROIs rapidly get into to 2-3 week range with this line of buildings.

If one doesn't want to do the planning in terms of buying and selling buildings then I say skip everything from Electronics Store through the Collection Agency and start the Type Bs with the Dominican Restaurant and build all subsequent buildings. The economic impact of skipping all these (level 1) buildings is less than $1,400/hr, and that's assuming the player can even fit all of them. Meanwhile the extra land expansions to fit all this will run somewhere around $1,650,000. Later on when the economy is established, buy the land expansions and build these for vanity purposes.

Tramp Stamp
01-13-2012, 12:34 PM
it's probably been discussed before...but any thoughts on selling buildings some money buildings you started with but could now make better use of the space with higher revenue buildings? I'm really trying to play catch up and kind of employing some of these strategies with the ol' hindsight is 20/20 strategy.

Definitely, especially if the early buildings are still at level 1. Use the spreadsheet to figure out which buildings generate the least $/hr/square and sell them off in that order as better buildings become available.

scp33
01-13-2012, 12:37 PM
thanks for the insight...very useful.

scp33
01-13-2012, 12:46 PM
where do I find the spreadsheet again? just do a search?

emcee
01-13-2012, 12:52 PM
Your decision depends on the available building space in your hood. If you have plenty of space go to Tramps payout algorithms thread to figure out what to build
http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?13183-Payout-algorithm-explained&highlight
A little less scientific method is to just pick buildings that can be built relatively quickly. This advice should be followed only if you have a lot of empty space in your hood. Any building producing income is well worth the investment, but I would still recommend having a look at Tramps thread first to get an idea.
If your hood is quite crowded then I would suggest saving up for the lofts only if your hood is not being pummeled with robberies or you are getting endlessly attacked. In the meantime when saving up for the lofts start upgrading your existing buildings that do not require lots of money.
If I were in your shoes I would drop all your mob members and stop all leveling. You can easily double your income in a short time as you already have an income base.

Tramp Stamp
01-13-2012, 12:59 PM
Spreadsheet and other stuff in the Economy planning & discussion thread:

http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?15477-Economy-planning-amp-discussion

scp33
01-13-2012, 01:01 PM
great thanks!

MaximusBC
01-13-2012, 03:37 PM
Buy everything. I'm only level 53 and can't purchase any more buildings until my level is higher....Just keep expanding and building and levelling...don't spend money on stupid weapons and crap