PDA

View Full Version : A Poll: Speed up construction and upgrades with cash???

chuck norris
01-06-2012, 12:01 AM
If you like the idea of using game cash to speed up build times, cast your vote.

Understandably it would need to be a large amount of cash, following a similar formula used to calculate gold bars. Perhaps a set amount of $$$ per hour of construction.

I think it would be a good dimension to add to the array of strategies one needs to consider while building a base.

Motor
01-06-2012, 12:48 AM
Using white lettering on that background makes it nearly impossible to read the poll options. Set the text to black.

Mastermind
01-06-2012, 06:39 AM
The game could use some adjustments but I don't feel using cash to speed up construction time is one of them.

chuck norris
01-06-2012, 08:17 AM
As best as I could tell, I can't format that text. That's default.

Tramp Stamp
01-06-2012, 10:43 AM
What would be the gain? You'd just put yourself further in the hole, at least when it comes to money buildings.

chuck norris
01-06-2012, 11:06 AM
you could rush through expansions when cramped, and especially through unit building upgrades when you have specific units in mind. Vault upgrades would be huge. for instance, I'm raiding $100,000 at a time today, and my vault is stuck at $25,000, and my units buildings arent ready for me to start stocking up on frigates. I would be splurging on timers today if I could.

My personal strategy is always ALWAYS be upgrading/expanding/building. Since the timer is the limiter, every second needs to be spent. If I could trade $100,000 for seconds or hours, every now and then, I'd be sacrificing unit purchases. Hence a difficult decision. A decision I think would add to the strategic complexity of the game.

I do believe they would have to be pretty costly. maybe.... $10,000 per hour. It would have to really cost, to ensure a sacrifice was being made.

Tramp Stamp
01-06-2012, 11:38 AM
They'd charge way more than $10k/hr if they did this. At least 10x as much.

EnjoyLife
01-06-2012, 11:40 AM
10,000 per hour would be really cheap. This game is meant to be a time sink. Don't rush it.

chuck norris
01-06-2012, 11:49 AM
yeah I didnt run any calculations on that. Just off the top. an early upgrade would be kinda cheap. 4 hours=40,000. But later on? 60 80 100 hours? thats a million bucks. Maybe that is whats needed though.

Honestly I was first gonna say 30k but then I was like nahhh.....

chuck norris
01-06-2012, 11:55 AM
Tramp,

You know what, I just went through my base and looked at my different wait times, and yeah, 10k is way to cheap. 100k is definitely in the ballpark.

I do like the idea though. Let me decide whats more important to my strategy.

ankyrin
01-06-2012, 01:28 PM
When I first started playing I would have say yes, that's a good idea. But the more I play this game, the more I appreciate the balance that the programmers tried to strike. If you upgrade too fast, you won't have enough money to do your next upgrade and rushing the upgrade would be pointless. In the beginning the cost of upgrading wasn't such a big deal, but now that upgrades are involving serious cash (currently some of my upgrades are about/almost 1M), I need time to accumulate that cash. In fact, I just planned out my next few upgrades and I'm trying to intermingle the cheap ones with the expensive ones, so that I'll have the cash on hand to do them without interruption.

Rushing the vault upgrade means everyone ELSE will have their cash protected as well, so be careful what you wish for.

I agree you should always try to expand your land, upgrade your buildings, and increase your vault size. However, I don't think building new buildings is a limiting factor and you don't need to (in fact you probably can't) be constantly building. When you consider the average new building takes less than a day to complete (and usually only a few hours), but expanding your land by one block takes 2 days (at least where I am at), the real limiting factor is your real estate. Hopefully when I reach about 40 blocks of land, I'll have plenty of space to do whatever I want and I can stop expanding. At that point I guess all the extra money could go to units.

chuck norris
01-06-2012, 02:32 PM
But the more I play this game, the more I appreciate the balance that the programmers tried to strike.

This statement is so, so, the only word I ca n find is odd.

EnjoyLife
01-06-2012, 03:40 PM
When I first started playing I would have say yes, that's a good idea. But the more I play this game, the more I appreciate the balance that the programmers tried to strike. If you upgrade too fast, you won't have enough money to do your next upgrade and rushing the upgrade would be pointless. In the beginning the cost of upgrading wasn't such a big deal, but now that upgrades are involving serious cash (currently some of my upgrades are about/almost 1M), I need time to accumulate that cash. In fact, I just planned out my next few upgrades and I'm trying to intermingle the cheap ones with the expensive ones, so that I'll have the cash on hand to do them without interruption.

Rushing the vault upgrade means everyone ELSE will have their cash protected as well, so be careful what you wish for.

I agree you should always try to expand your land, upgrade your buildings, and increase your vault size. However, I don't think building new buildings is a limiting factor and you don't need to (in fact you probably can't) be constantly building. When you consider the average new building takes less than a day to complete (and usually only a few hours), but expanding your land by one block takes 2 days (at least where I am at), the real limiting factor is your real estate. Hopefully when I reach about 40 blocks of land, I'll have plenty of space to do whatever I want and I can stop expanding. At that point I guess all the extra money could go to units.

This is pretty much dead on.

Air
01-06-2012, 11:43 PM
Gotta say I'm not liking this idea, it would be another way for people who throw real money at this game to get ahead.

EnjoyLife
01-07-2012, 05:09 AM
This is already available to an extent in upgrading buildings. If you want faster upgrades, upgrade the buildings that you received at later levels. e.g. Upgrading your Recycling Plant from level 1 to level 2 will cost you $1,000,000, but will only take 12 hours, instead of upgrading your Munitions Stockpile from level 7 to level 8 will cost you $270,000, but will take you 60 hours.

JMC
01-07-2012, 09:45 AM
I dont see a point to it. Just about every instant upgrade i do would cost much more than its worth. Sure i'd like the upgrades and building times to be faster but i don't wanna throw 4mil+ out the window everytime i do it. Also, like someone said, it'd help out the gold buyers a lot more than itd help out the rest of us. The smart gold buyers (if there are any... Most buy gold because they dont know how to play and are getting beat) would put all skill points into energy and then buy gold to refill energy and do missions. A while ago i calculated that someone could make like 45mil with $100 worth of gold instead of spending $100 for 15mil cash.

I dont know what theyd make now with a better farm missions, but this would allow them to use their gold not only for building upgrades or units, but the same gold would be paying for leveling up through missions, cash and building upgrades.