PDA

View Full Version : Level 60 will be the end of the game for most players

Agent Orange
12-31-2011, 06:25 AM
After over 24 hours with the new rivals list it's becoming appearent that level 60 will be the end of the game for most players. Why? Because once you cross this new threshold you are on the radar screen of all high level players, many who are well over 30-60k in attack.

Unless you are willing to spend thousands of dollars to try and be competative for most this will mark the end since you won't stand a chance defending yourself against raids and attacks.

Smart players will stop leveling up unless they have a deathwish or deep pockets. I'm not even sure that turtling will be enough but possibly your only chance as you will need to amass a massive force or get raided into oblivion.....

chuck norris
12-31-2011, 07:24 AM
I concur 100%.

You all know I started out in this forum very indignant and harsh. Funzio earned all of that no questions asked.

With a little time to cool off and through learning tactics from more experienced players, I resolutely decided to ***** less, discuss more, and be patient. Accept the losses, the bull**** algorithms, the lack of support. Just lower my expectations and enjoy the half-cooked stew. That was working reasonably well I think.

Now. I haven't *****ed Once about the rivals change yet. I accepted it. Even though It has put me at the very bottom of the food chain and I'm experiencing losses like never before. I admit that until now there were other low level players getting this treatment. I accept it as my turn.

I am growin as fast as I can. Arming as best I can. I'm cataloging all mission data to analyze best XP, loot , and cash returns.

But. I really do think it completely pointless. It will be weeks till I compete with even a fraction of my rivals. I'm screwed. I am setting timers and alarms to retrieve my cash to lower raid losses. If I earn 2.4 mil a day, my losses are about 20% plus unit losses. It is useless. Just a matter of time till I give up. God knows I won't give Fu Zion a dime.

Even the balance funzio. Make it gradual. You flipped to scales. Try balancing them.

I made a poll in my "rivals list getting overhaed tonight." go vote if you care to. Let em know.

Wildfire
12-31-2011, 11:55 AM
I'm not sure, I had been ranking slowly the last couple of weeks as the losses from attacking were killing the PVP challenges for me. With the adjusted rivals list I've gone up 3 levels in 2 days just from challenges which I can now do by picking and choosing rivals carefully with minimal unit loss and massive valor gain. If others are doing the same I think there will soon be a much bigger pool of players approaching the level 60 mark.

For the last challenge I needed rivals with 100 alliies but I was seeing may with 50-60 which never happened before, for the 20+ kills in the row ones these players with attack and defence below 1000 are just too hard to resist as I lose nothing against them so I rank faster than before, I guess others are doing the same.

chuck norris
12-31-2011, 12:16 PM
Just don't rush the trip into the shark tank eh?

Wildfire
12-31-2011, 02:06 PM
Just don't rush the trip into the shark tank eh?

It's hard to know what to do to be honest, when the PVP losses were really high there was no real gameplay left, now I can play again and level up but if that just leads to your shark tank then what's the point. However, I hope the Funzio strategy of reducing losses means that lots of players will attack more and rank up together and the shark tank will keep moving on up ahead of me, as they will rank up too and only see players around their level.

On the other hand if I go really cautious and the PVP losses are increased by changing the rivals list again, it's an opportunity lost. In any case it will take me a month to upgrade the buildings I want to upgrade immediately, so I probably should slow down again, but a game with no gameplay and more time spent here typing than playing's hardly going to keep my or anyone else's interest.

chuck norris
12-31-2011, 04:12 PM
Best plan is do little. Wait for it to settle. Im Holding off my invites for now. Pick a low XP mission with decent loot and camp. Arm up.

puttago
12-31-2011, 05:12 PM
Yup, that's a good plan. Here's a brief update...

We loosened things up a bit at the top levels so that the ultra-high-level players have some more rivals to fight. It's still more limited than it was 2 days ago, but this should help keep the game interesting as players get more advanced.

Also, we have lightened casualties somewhat on defense as you get more advanced. Agreed they were getting too high with the recent changes.

Agent Orange
12-31-2011, 05:39 PM
Thank you!

MWDoucheCounter
12-31-2011, 07:37 PM
That's great Puttago - thanks for the changes. Rebalancing along the way helps a lot, and will be sure to keep players engaged.

Wildfire
12-31-2011, 08:12 PM
Best plan is do little. Wait for it to settle. Im Holding off my invites for now. Pick a low XP mission with decent loot and camp. Arm up.

Yep I've reached a point where I need to do that, I've taken on a 20 extra allies as my Army had no room for cannon fodder, and bought more defence units to boost my defence to the maximum that the cost effective units allow. When attacking my last 80-100 units are Rangers, this means none of the Transports I have for defence are ever used in an attack, and my defence is basically every unit at around Transport strength which seems to work fairly well.

I picked my numbers by looking at my rivals list and and added allies till my defence was a good 500 above the highest attack strength I could see regularly and set like that I've had a relatively quiet day, though the last attack was from someone 7 levels higher again, which might go with the loosening puttago mentioned. To get any stronger I need higher rated units or loads more allies, I don't want to risk doing it with allies alone as puttago and friends might have a rethink and have too many allies as a bad thing again. So I'm going to upgrade several buildings over the next week or two, 60 hours + whatever follows that just for the shipyard alone so that's the most of a week gone, but by then I should know better whether to go with strong units or more allies. I've several thousand of valor points that I've gained the last couple of days sitting waiting unused to get stronger units or lots of combat boats if more allies seems to be the way to go. Anyway as the vault expansion is so slow I'll end up buying "spare" units rather than having large amounts of exposed cash while waiting for building upgrades.

I've also been doing the looting rather than PVE missions, probably by design the expensive units many PVE missions need are also units that die quickly in PVP protecting the Rangers etc. so I was running at a loss trying to do the missions and PVP. I've started loosing units on the mini sub loot for the first time and the drop rate seems to have gone down too, quite annoying loosing a big sub trying to get a mini one, but still worth it overall at the expensive of gradually ranking up.

Most of us in the level 40-50 range now who got there through lots of PVP fighting will probably have been doing it at higher loss rates that any up and coming people so the up and coming players might arrive in this band stronger than the current ones or conversely might actually arrive weaker as the lower losses will have encouraged them to rank faster only time will tell.

There is quite a lot to think about and with no definitive breakdown of how the game really works I very much agree with the cautious and flexible approach, but perhaps not total camping because that's just boring in the extreme!

Agent Orange
01-01-2012, 06:20 AM
I think at this point letting thedust settle is wise unless you have a lot of 'new found friends'.

Wildfire
01-01-2012, 08:27 AM
I think at this point letting thedust settle is wise unless you have a lot of 'new found friends'.

Only a couple of new friends thankfully! One a level 49 with a large gold army, they're levelling fast so they'll be out of sight by now. The other one is at level 46 with a 95% valor army with no cannon fodder and a weak economy (29833) so they are relying on profitable PVP battling mainly to rank up, I think a rude shock is round the corner for them, looking at their base any change of direction will take forever.

As to the vagaries of attacking i lost the attack during the night they got 1306 credits and I lost a medic, I checked them out from the revenge button to see their strength and decided to leave well alone, they attacked again a couple of hours later and lost, I checked them out again and they were several hundred stronger on attack than before while I'd changed nothing, so I lost when they were weaker and won when they were stronger!

For now I'm playing MW3 on my pc and collecting from my 5 minute buildings in this between every map!

duder
01-02-2012, 09:41 AM
Interesting, I'm in the same boat with you wildfire, though I'm trying to address the need to defend before anything else. I've got a decently sized economy that folks kind of enjoy using as a withdrawal system. If I can get that sorted, I think it will get me to the place where I can buy my way to superiority.

My biggest problem right now is sleeping or having absolutely anything to do in the real world. Last night I lost around 400k in units (1 anti-air vehicle and a bunch of bradleys) all the while having an assortment of buildings ripped off (less than 100k in raids).

This is actually a pretty big improvement for me as I successfully defended several times. I managed to double my defense score by explosively expanding my ally list and then using any cash over my vault max on transports.

My challenge is that I want to continue to build my economy (not just through upgrading lower buildings), but I can't rely on buildings which take longer than 3 hours to load retaining cash or holding cash above my vault max. This makes it pretty hard to get to the 2.4 m mark to get that next new building. I am hoping that if I can get to the 7k defense that would be maxed out allies with transports, my economy will once more produce at around 70% of it's potential (rather than the sorry ~50% I'm experiencing right now).

It seems to me the key to this game at higher levels is to have enough economy to replace your high value units if they attrit. Early I was thinking meat shield would work, but the cheap units aren't really strong enough. This means I'm back into a very defensive strategy while I try to get my economy up. I was already beginning to retool my units before the rival list change - now I have to retool in a completely different way. Ah well... hopefully things will settle soon.

Bond
01-07-2012, 08:48 PM
Most games encourage leveling up, however it seems clear that leveling in MW brings rewards and problems. Several threads have indicated strategies for minimizing leveling - this would be an anathema to many online games that try to build a community of dedicated followers.

I am in the mid-30's and doing my best not to level too quickly. I am building my economy, upgrading my vault, and upgrading my unit buildings as fast as I can in preparation for the onslaught at the higher levels. I'll continue until it stops being fun (probably around level 60). I'll then have a fire sale, fill the base with barrels and abandon the base.

I have made a number of early mistakes, so I'll probably restart (thanks Chuck) and Try a new strategy.

chuck norris
01-07-2012, 09:10 PM
Cheers Bond.