PDA

View Full Version : My rival list has shrunk. hows yours...

zynshmily
12-29-2011, 11:11 PM
Just several hrs ago, my rival list was ranging from lv34-lv90.
But now even after tens of refresh, its always the same 25 people who are at least level 60.
im starting to sense there is a pattern for the rival list changing circle...just the same time last week, i was also stuck with one same rival list, then all of a sudden, the rival list widened...now it shrank again

chuck norris
12-29-2011, 11:46 PM
New rival list implemented just hours ago. Based on your level. Not size.

bredo2
12-30-2011, 12:50 AM
Bad change.

Agent Orange
12-30-2011, 02:11 AM
That accounts for the L200 with only 2 allies that just popped into my list. They had over 41000000 cash but only 56 attack and 141 defense.

Wildfire
12-30-2011, 02:35 AM
That accounts for the L200 with only 2 allies that just popped into my list. They had over 41000000 cash but only 56 attack and 141 defense.

I take it you did the decent thing and relieved them of some of their cash surplus!

That accounts for why the only people who attacked my overnight all lost and i lost no units yippee! My rival list at Level 39 is now showing from 36-41 only, checked on several refreshes, it's also showing people with similar numbers of allies too, last night it was 33-43 with 1.5 times as many allies. Thing is this sort of change does mean a rework of my game strategy and I was already looking at about a month to do the immediate building upgrades I wanted. I had been prioritising defence, but now I want to increase my attack strength, it's a week or so to get the shipyard alone up a couple of levels!

Ok there's more different than just the rivals list, I've just attacked 6 times and lost nothing and neither have the people I attacked. They were considerably weaker though but I still expected to drop 1-2 units on each hit. Looks like the current balance will encourage levelling up again.

Wildfire
12-30-2011, 03:36 AM
Spoke too soon just dropped 8 units including a Frigate in my next 5 attacks, lost 1 too that I thought I'd win easily, hate that in the middle of a PVP so many in a row challenge.

sonicbuzz
12-30-2011, 04:12 AM
Bad change.

I agree this sort of change is one that will stop me playing. I now have rivals which typically have 250+ alliance members I have 7!!!! No realistic chance of winning a battle now!

zynshmily
12-30-2011, 04:18 AM

I think i kno who ur referring to. DesertFox, lv200,extremely weak with 40 million cash. I saw him too. since he was to weak to fight, i raided him. Lost 3 units, robbed nothing. He better be one of the devs.

Agent Orange
12-30-2011, 04:54 AM
Spoke too soon just dropped 8 units including a Frigate in my next 5 attacks, lost 1 too that I thought I'd win easily, hate that in the middle of a PVP so many in a row challenge.

Yes you did speak way too soon! My overnight losses were higher as well.

Now for the really bad news, if you were counting on flying under the radar with low ally count you got screwed because it now seems to be based on only your level.

Have more to add but has to be later.

zynshmily
12-30-2011, 06:34 AM

Lucky ME. I just managed to attack him 6 times. I lost 1-3 units everytime,but total worth it. basically, 25 experience + 300k cash every battle.

frenda
12-30-2011, 06:52 AM
I'm getting tired of the changes midstream. It's not a bad game, it's pretty fun actually. But how can you follow a strategy when the rules change all the time? I mean, it is a strategy game. Unless Funzio thinks we get off on watching the graphics? Sheesh. Quit messing with the game and just tighten up some of the gaps without rearranging the priorities.

Wildfire
12-30-2011, 06:53 AM
So based on the picture from your other post zynshmily a strong level 70, was losing 1-3 units each attack against a player with 141 defence. Sort of makes the case that the win or loss in an attack depends on the relative strengths of the players but the loss of units in an attack doesn't.

chuck norris
12-30-2011, 06:58 AM
For about an hour last night, I was casualty free. It was glorious. I desperately leveled so could feed the rush. Then. All of a sudden. Casualties were worse then ever accompanied by constant crashing.

zynshmily
12-30-2011, 07:50 AM
So based on the picture from your other post zynshmily a strong level 70, was losing 1-3 units each attack against a player with 141 defence. Sort of makes the case that the win or loss in an attack depends on the relative strengths of the players but the loss of units in an attack doesn't.

To answer your question, my stat is lv71 with 18k attk/def.
When i attack any person whose level is lower than mine, as long as his def is less than 2200, i hardly lose units now. I have 38 stamina points. I once did a record when used up all points attacking lv50s with 2000 def, i only lost one tree sniper while getting many loots. Also, 1-14 exp and 1-4 valor every battle.

I guess the level difference plays a great role in a battle besides the attack and defense score.
Attacking that lv200 dude really proves my thought. I was bound to lose units but 25 exp each time is also very comforting.

Additionally, i think funzio owes us an explanation how that lv200 person is possible

Agent Orange
12-30-2011, 09:31 AM
I think that player was hitting up specific challenges in the maps, some pork out some good cash and xp plus loot. Where I would have been hiding while turtling.

I posted the same thing about changes to a strategy game midstream a month ago, appearantly this is normal for Funzio so I kind of keep it in the back of my mind and why I've started to have a more balanced approach to the game but that is no consolation for those that just got monumentally screwed.

chuck norris
12-30-2011, 09:46 AM
Thanks for shout out niteshooter. I am very interested in allying since about twelve hours ago. I'm up from 24 to 80 in twelve hours. This experience is m wake up call to attempt balance. But I fear with funzio there is little to anticipate.

JMC
12-30-2011, 11:10 AM
I like the change. Everyone on my list now is high enough level to complete my ally and level missions. Also so far it seems i do not lose any units if theyre under 6000 defence. Thought most people would like this change since most of the lower levels were getting dominated by people 30 levels higher before.

Agent Orange
12-30-2011, 01:53 PM
I take it you did the decent thing and relieved them of some of their cash surplus!

That accounts for why the only people who attacked my overnight all lost and i lost no units yippee! My rival list at Level 39 is now showing from 36-41 only, checked on several refreshes, it's also showing people with similar numbers of allies too, last night it was 33-43 with 1.5 times as many allies. Thing is this sort of change does mean a rework of my game strategy and I was already looking at about a month to do the immediate building upgrades I wanted. I had been prioritising defence, but now I want to increase my attack strength, it's a week or so to get the shipyard alone up a couple of levels!

Ok there's more different than just the rivals list, I've just attacked 6 times and lost nothing and neither have the people I attacked. They were considerably weaker though but I still expected to drop 1-2 units on each hit. Looks like the current balance will encourage levelling up again.

No they were too weak to attack.... but someone who had been doing a lot of harvesting on my brothers base got a really nasty surprise this morning when I relieved him of 250,000 and then a few hours later some more so there is a bit of upside to this change. I suspect there are going to be a lot of attacks over the next 24 hours and this time you can't just slough off a bunch of allies in the hope of getting out from under. Hmmm I wonder if that is going to make even more players say screw it and quit.

duder
12-30-2011, 03:03 PM
@Agent Orange

Good call on keeping a balanced strategy. I think a lot of these changes are an attempt to bring the game rules into line with how the company wanted the game to be played. I don't envy the job of trying to identify methods which are loose enough to allow variation in play style while strict enough to prevent "unfair" advantage to different play styles.

It looks to me like the vision of how the game should be played is generally time based. A player who plays x amount should be able to have certain values in terms of relative pvp strength, ability to expand her hood, and mission completion %s. The way to short-cut that would be to spend real world cash to shorten the timer.

However, people being what they are, there are plenty of folks who, in game, have identify loopholes which allow an opportunity to short-cut that timer through the application one or two specific strategies. The loophole funzio appears to be most recently interested in addressing is controlling who attacks you through the size of your alliance.

I for one am going to be working on expanding my alliance and making certain I have enough 8+ def equips that every slot is taken until I can actually win an incoming fight. After that, I'll start thinking about what I need to get offensive. Right now I feel like a candy shop with no door in a town full of sweet toothed delinquents. I've got folks taking down any building which takes longer than 1 hr to reload using me as a withdrawal center.

I thought I was set up in such a way that I could ride out missions until I was high level with a good income, but I've been attacked by a total 6 different players in the last 10 hours who have combined to raid my base for a total of 110k all from buildings which take less than 12 hours to reload. I haven't successfully defended in 13 hours despite having enough defensive units that all the once that fight have 8 or better defense.

whocareswhatmynameis
12-30-2011, 04:46 PM
i have noticed that i am being attacked more. but i haven't lost so far. i'm at lvl 17 (size: 25); my rival list displays lvls 17-18 with sizes ranging from 25-37.

JMC
12-30-2011, 11:47 PM
All the free canadian players who have a brain and figured out how to advance through the game are sorta getting screwed right now. I like the changes in the way that i find all the high levels that can complete my missions and that there is a much lower casualty rate. However now, all the gold buyers can see is me, my brother and the other canadian bunch that made it into the 60+ range. Obviously the rest of the people in this level range had to of bought gold to catch up to us and so naturally they are much stronger. With the old rivals list these people had tons of low levels that were easy picking and i was fairly safe. Now im suffering the max amount of attacks i can take and money buildings being raided if left unattended for more than hour.

These are all the guys that spent thousands to catch up and surpass us. So really there is no way to defend ourselves and there is no one else on the list for these guys to go after.

Agent Orange
12-31-2011, 12:51 AM
Good point, I'm getting hit a lot and there isn't much I can do about it. It would cost hundreds in real money just to get to the point where only a couple of players who spent thousands were the only ones who could attack me.

Not worth doing that so anyone who gets to level 60 and above is screwed unless they spend a pile of real money to get here as there are some up here over 60k in attack or more.

This is the only strategy game I have ever played where having a strategy is detrimental.

youj
12-31-2011, 01:57 AM
Same here. I'm putting all my resources into defense units now.

Wildfire
12-31-2011, 02:26 AM
Good point, I'm getting hit a lot and there isn't much I can do about it. It would cost hundreds in real money just to get to the point where only a couple of players who spent thousands were the only ones who could attack me.

Not worth doing that so anyone who gets to level 60 and above is screwed unless they spend a pile of real money to get here as there are some up here over 60k in attack or more.

This is the only strategy game I have ever played where having a strategy is detrimental.

That's what I was afraid of, it looks like there will come a point which appears to be around level 60 from what you and others have said that is basically the end for anyone who's playing without spending vast sums of money. Now it could be that the changes in the rivals list from yesterday is supposed to encourage people to start attacking and levelling up more which would give a degree of protection through having more players at the higher levels, and subsequently the current level 60+ gold players will have moved on up out of sight again before most of us get there. The existing weaker level 60 players will be given a bit of a rest and will be able to progress more normally again. However, ultimately they will meet up with the ultra strong ones again at a higher level and it will all happen again and again. Really without limiting the total number of times a player can attack or raid you I don't see any way to progress long term as those who've spent more money will always win in the end.

JMC
12-31-2011, 08:05 AM
At least with the low casualty rate i can focus on more powerful cheaper units even if their casualty rate isnt that great. However thats only if i can get the money for it which seems to be difficult right now. Missions are requiring hundreds of thousands, people are raiding me and stuff like expansions and new buildings are getting really expensive. Also haven't been able to raise my income lately because of unit requirements for buildings. Had to upgrade all my unit buildings to level 7, which willl in total take like 2 weeks.