PDA

View Full Version : The Importance Of Valor

zynshmily
12-27-2011, 04:37 AM
Many people are criticizing the battle algorithm since it doesnt make much sense most of the time...
I myself am pissed by that too.
However, for those people who always question the interest of being an attacker, i think they may have missed out one important factor:valor.
Dont just calculate the loss and gain of cash value...
in terms of attack and defense, valor units are really the key.
My attack and defense are 15k in which 12k are contributed by valor units. and keep in mind that i have spent more than $600 on gold units.
Attacking gives you experience and valor. Leveling up gives you more valor missions...
If i had to quantify the importance of valor, i'd say its worth 1/4 real dollars...(not accurate but roughly equivalent) Say, 1000 valor are as useful as $250. (if $250 is spent on gold units)
so when it comes to strengthen the army, what really matters is the valor units...cheap cash units are for the map missions...dont be too uptight over some loss of cash units...compared to the gaining of valor, its not much of a big deal.

Economist
12-27-2011, 09:14 AM
Hello, I am a new comer to this game. Just like you, I've been relying on gold to acquire the units (for different reason. Little fascinated with collecting the "Limited Edition" units) and have spent around $400 dollars worth of those Limited Edition units.

I am currently at level 22 and I wanted to know if my "superiority" over others will continue to hold once I hit higher levels. I tried to keep my alliance number low and have been relying largely on these special gold units.

Also, I am thinking about relying much on infantry units, especially so with these gold infantries, and changing my nation to "Chinese" to get the 10% benefit. Do you think this is a sound strategy in the future?

Agent Orange
12-27-2011, 09:20 AM
Hello, I am a new comer to this game. Just like you, I've been relying on gold to acquire the units (for different reason. Little fascinated with collecting the "Limited Edition" units) and have spent around $400 dollars worth of those Limited Edition units.

I am currently at level 22 and I wanted to know if my "superiority" over others will continue to hold once I hit higher levels. I tried to keep my alliance number low and have been relying largely on these special gold units.

Also, I am thinking about relying much on infantry units, especially so with these gold infantries, and changing my nation to "Chinese" to get the 10% benefit. Do you think this is a sound strategy in the future?

Nope, unless you plan on really ramping up you in game spending you are going to be totally screwed by those who have spent thousands of $$, are devs hiding as players or the reported hackers.

Dover
12-27-2011, 09:27 AM
Hacker? How you can hack MW? It's not like you can steal a PW login and send money/gold to yourself. I did not think it was possible to hack apples app's, or I though it was very tough at least.

phrenikos
12-27-2011, 09:42 AM

If you keep your alliance low enough that the only units attacking are your gold invulnerable units, I guess you can probably remain superior in the higher levels to your rivals. Most higher levels with ridiculous stats usually have an alliance of 500+, and if you kept your alliance below 50 the likelihood of showing up on their radar is pretty low.

zynshmily
12-27-2011, 11:56 AM

I don't think laying much emphasis on infantry is a good idea...
Since you asked if its a good strategy for "the future", i will just skip ahead and discuss only after lv60.
I'm now lv68 with 2000 units.however, not all 2000 units are useful.
68*5*4=1360
Only 1360 are practically effective. In a confrontation, only 1360 units really participate. And your attack and defense score are only calculated purely based on the best 1360 units.

I understand you prefer infantry because its so cheap that you can massively produce them. However, when you progress, the true limitation is the size of army. with the same quantity of troops, you should look for the units with best quality.

in the beginning stage, infantry is a good way to go because you have very limited cash. Infantry has the best ratio of performance to cost,rendering the quickest way to build up a strong army.
but later on, when your army is at its biggest capacity, too much infantries are redundant...

an interesting analogy would be: even tho you have 48 one-dollar bills, you are not richer than someone holding 1 single fifty-dollar bill. And if you are only allowed to carry 48 bills, 48 $100 bills are the most ideal situation. Thats why most of players focus on navy forces. Not because they are cost-effective, but strongest under same amount...
hope it helps...

Agent Orange
12-27-2011, 12:02 PM
Hacker? How you can hack MW? It's not like you can steal a PW login and send money/gold to yourself. I did not think it was possible to hack apples app's, or I though it was very tough at least.

The comment about hackers has been popping up in these forums lately. My guess is that it is at the server level.

youj
12-27-2011, 12:03 PM
Basically, if you want to keep investing into infantry in the future (Real money or valour units), you should switch to China.

Dover
12-27-2011, 12:09 PM
The comment about hackers has been popping up in these forums lately. My guess is that it is at the server level.

I was wondering. It seems like that word is thrown around by people who are upset with how much other people have. It seems if you have too much (are in the 1%) you are either a whale, an employee of Funzio or a hacker though no one may be hacking at all.

Tramp Stamp
12-27-2011, 12:11 PM
With Crime City you can modify locally stored game data. Can't say about Modern War, though. Probably, since it uses the same engine.

Economist
12-27-2011, 12:28 PM
Hello Tramp,

Just wanted to express a big gratitude for the informative input on the posting. I also wanted to know if I can be your ally so I can get some more inspiration in regards to set up and whatnot. I added you with my MW ID name: Arnold.

Thank you

zynshmily
12-27-2011, 12:34 PM

It's very smart of you knowing to control the alliance number. I'm lv68 with 480+ allies. I constantly c some poor fellas, lv35 with more than 200 alliance, on my rival list. And they are always my first choice to attack...

i myself messed up alliance number... I didnt kno this game well enough back then and i kept following goals. And the missions of alliance number offer tons of cash, i reached 500 alliance number way too early. So i started being exposed to some powerful players at lv35...sry. i dont kno exactly what would happen if you always keep your number of alliance low... but alliance number correlates to the capacity of your army, it can't stay low forever.

Economist
12-27-2011, 12:45 PM
It's very smart of you knowing to control the alliance number. I'm lv68 with 480+ allies. I constantly c some poor fellas, lv35 with more than 200 alliance, on my rival list. And they are always my first choice to attack...

i myself messed up alliance number... I didnt kno this game well enough back then and i kept following goals. And the missions of alliance number offer tons of cash, i reached 500 alliance number way too early. So i started being exposed to some powerful players at lv35...sry. i dont kno exactly what would happen if you always keep your number of alliance low... but alliance number correlates to the capacity of your army, it can't stay low forever.

Thank you for the helpful input! Yup, At first, I used the gold to promote my ID as VIP, but once I garnered more than 100 or so alliance members when I was around level 20, I started seeing players with equal number of alliance numbers. I figured if I kept my alliance small, then I will be competing against those who are around my level (at least in alliance number). So I pretty much removed almost all the low level players and made my alliance from 104 to 27. I will eventually increase the alliance number slowly when the new limited edition units are introduced, but I will do so, very cautiously and very slowly.

zynshmily
12-27-2011, 01:27 PM
So I pretty much removed almost all the low level players and made my alliance from 104 to 27.

Technically, the content of your alliance doesn't matter. what matters is the number of your alliance. So low-level alliance is not that different from high-level alliance. after all, every ally enables you to bring 4 more units regardless what level they are.

You should be ally with someone who poses a threat to you.And i like low-level alliances because they won't be on your rival list anyway. The worst situation is to ally with someone who could be on your rival list and far weaker than you, which means you lose one meat...
and try to ally with someone who's equally powerful as yourself to avoid mutual destruction. someone is just stupid, they confront people not caring what casualty they will suffer themselves...

Economist
12-27-2011, 06:29 PM
Technically, the content of your alliance doesn't matter. what matters is the number of your alliance. So low-level alliance is not that different from high-level alliance. after all, every ally enables you to bring 4 more units regardless what level they are.

You should be ally with someone who poses a threat to you.And i like low-level alliances because they won't be on your rival list anyway. The worst situation is to ally with someone who could be on your rival list and far weaker than you, which means you lose one meat...
and try to ally with someone who's equally powerful as yourself to avoid mutual destruction. someone is just stupid, they confront people not caring what casualty they will suffer themselves...

Yup, that's exactly the reason why I dropped the low levelled players and have been partnering up with higher level/other gold spending players =P

azy
12-29-2011, 06:36 PM
Getting back to the importance of valor, am I right in thinking that valor is a relatively finite quantity? Though you can always harvest a few points here and there, the big valor bonus are gained when completing the goals like "total war", "multiple front operation", etc. But I think those goals are limited.

Notice how for each of the three or four types of attack goals the bar is raised every time? I think that means there is a finite number of such goals. In fact, I'm currently at a point where I have no such battle goals in my list. But I bet at least one such goal will appear as soon as I level up: win X battles against opponents of my new level.

So yes, valor is important. But I wonder how sustainable it is in the long run. As those units die, they are not easily replaceable.

zynshmily
12-29-2011, 10:59 PM
Getting back to the importance of valor, am I right in thinking that valor is a relatively finite quantity? Though you can always harvest a few points here and there, the big valor bonus are gained when completing the goals like "total war", "multiple front operation", etc. But I think those goals are limited.

Notice how for each of the three or four types of attack goals the bar is raised every time? I think that means there is a finite number of such goals. In fact, I'm currently at a point where I have no such battle goals in my list. But I bet at least one such goal will appear as soon as I level up: win X battles against opponents of my new level.

So yes, valor is important. But I wonder how sustainable it is in the long run. As those units die, they are not easily replaceable.

Of course the quantity of valor is finite, but not so limited as you might've thought...
the rewards of valor missions are fairly substantial. From lv1-lv50, if you have finished all the valor missions, you will have at least 60,000 valor accumulatively. i guess you just started the game, you will soon find out that everytime you level up, there will be 3-6 valor missions. One series of valor missions has ended for me around level 60. Anyway, its waiting for you to explore on your own...

I've seen one person called Alex,who barely fought. When i first saw him, he was lv44 with total fights less than 500. however, his attack and defense scores were above 20k. I checked out his army. no gold units at all. his troops consisted of many valor units. a rough calculation, at least 150k valor. I was bummed. it has been bugging me ever since...

Clank
03-02-2013, 05:58 PM
If you buy a unit for 100 valor, should it deduct 100 valor? Somehow the math doesn't seem to equal the amount subtracted vs. the number I buy. Anyone else having this problem?

Dudebot121256
03-02-2013, 08:10 PM
If you buy a unit for 100 valor, should it deduct 100 valor? Somehow the math doesn't seem to equal the amount subtracted vs. the number I buy. Anyone else having this problem?I've never seen that happen. Could you post screenshots of before and after? Mine always deduct the exact amount.

Wai
03-02-2013, 08:45 PM
Sorry to interrupt the discusssion, however it is nice to see a discusssion and different points of view & experiences put forward without the need to criticise or chest beat.

How refreshing. Well done all.

Ericinico
03-02-2013, 09:50 PM
If I spent 600 dollars and only had a 15k stat I'd be pissed

Dutchie
03-03-2013, 12:28 AM
Nice necro... LOL

$600 didn't get you a lot in the early days of this game then!