PDA

View Full Version : Consequence Of A Spammer

Cheers
12-20-2011, 09:41 AM
Recently I have been consistently spammed by a guy who I have robbed. Initially, I thought he will stopped after awhile, but after 6 days. He is still spamming me, almost every 6 hours intervals. Therefore, I reported him to Funzio and got a reply from them. The reply is as followed.

Hello,

Thank you for the report, I will handle it. Also, we are adding an anti-spam filter in an upcoming update.

Regards,

C

Following this reply, I have not received any more spams from that guy. But I am curious to know what happened to him? Do anyone know what is the consequence of him spamming? Did he get banned? Or he just got restricted from posting on my wall?

Ram
12-20-2011, 09:49 AM
Recently I have been consistently spammed by a guy who I have robbed. Initially, I thought he will stopped after awhile, but after 6 days. He is still spamming me, almost every 6 hours intervals. Therefore, I reported him to Funzio and got a reply from them. The reply is as followed.

Hello,

Thank you for the report, I will handle it. Also, we are adding an anti-spam filter in an upcoming update.

Regards,

C

Following this reply, I have not received any more spams from that guy. But I am curious to know what happened to him? Do anyone know what is the consequence of him spamming? Did he get banned? Or he just got restricted from posting on my wall?

He got banned!

Cheers
12-20-2011, 09:56 AM
Wow! So serious? Ban for how many days? Do you know?

Rarelibra
12-20-2011, 10:02 AM
Wow! So serious? Ban for how many days? Do you know?

They get a message that they are unable to log in and must contact Funzio. Depending on how the case was handled, they are either banned for a short (unspecified) period of time, or even permanently if it involves racial or other banter.

Interestingly enough, the forum is loaded with talk of people suggesting or hinting at "filling up someone's wall" to push the "revenge" button out of sight. There are quite a few of us that have either had it happen to us, or have run across it on someone else's wall.

While I agree with the punishment for insulting spammers, there is something to be said about someone who visits you night and day for days or weeks on end non-stop. In the regular world that would be a form of harrassment. Hitting someone once or twice is an accepted protocol, but there seems to be no other way to fend off a regular visitor except for this "recommended practice" (just do a search in the forums).

My own feelings are that if there are derogatory comments (racial or otherwise offensive), then they should do something about it and punish the user (after all, this is only a game and anyone who takes it personal enough to insult or degrade should not be playing). Otherwise, "filling the wall" seems to be a technique that is almost a "norm" of sorts. Just MHO.

Cheers
12-20-2011, 10:08 AM
They get a message that they are unable to log in and must contact Funzio. Depending on how the case was handled, they are either banned for a short (unspecified) period of time, or even permanently if it involves racial or other banter.

Interestingly enough, the forum is loaded with talk of people suggesting or hinting at "filling up someone's wall" to push the "revenge" button out of sight. There are quite a few of us that have either had it happen to us, or have run across it on someone else's wall.

While I agree with the punishment for insulting spammers, there is something to be said about someone who visits you night and day for days or weeks on end non-stop. In the regular world that would be a form of harrassment. Hitting someone once or twice is an accepted protocol, but there seems to be no other way to fend off a regular visitor except for this "recommended practice" (just do a search in the forums).

My own feelings are that if there are derogatory comments (racial or otherwise offensive), then they should do something about it and punish the user (after all, this is only a game and anyone who takes it personal enough to insult or degrade should not be playing). Otherwise, "filling the wall" seems to be a technique that is almost a "norm" of sorts. Just MHO.

Anyway, if you notice the reply that they sent to me. It stated that they will be adding a anti spam filter in the upcoming updates! haha! So "filling the wall" will no longer be possible.

Babytway
12-20-2011, 12:48 PM
i suggest to funzio that they not necessarily get banned but have there ability to comment be suspended for a period of time that way they still can play but not talk.

Rarelibra
12-20-2011, 01:29 PM
i suggest to funzio that they not necessarily get banned but have there ability to comment be suspended for a period of time that way they still can play but not talk.

I like this.

MadHatter
12-20-2011, 01:30 PM
Silencing spammers s not the way forward

Euchred
12-20-2011, 01:30 PM

I think this is called a mute. a good strategy but do they want to spend the time to hand them out

Babytway
12-20-2011, 01:57 PM
The time they take to ban someone is most like the same amount of time it would take to put them on a "mute" i seen other apps on facebook and myspace that mute players comment for curse words or posting racial comments or adverstisments etc.

Joeycool
12-20-2011, 02:19 PM
Spamming is completely out of order.

There is no such thing as harassment by attacking or robbing someone. The game is called crime city! Its about crime! If you dont like getting robbed either get better at the game or go and play Tap Zoo!

I had someone spam my wall once... Now I dont single people out for attack. I just go through my list and rob the first person I come across. So what did I do as a result of getting spammed? I singled this guy out. I robbed him blind at every opportunity and actively searched him out.

I also gave him some advise... And its what I do If I get someone who kicks my ass. I send them a message saying how awesome their hood and stats are and how great at the game they are.

Guess what ALWAYS comes next? A big thank you, and a sorry for attacking you and an invite to join their mafia. Job done.

Spamming is completely unacceptable and will just anger your attacker and get you singled out for future attacks by them.

dudeman
12-20-2011, 02:33 PM
Who cares if you get spammed? Unless it's actually harassment or obscenities, but other than that some people just have different skills and techniques in the game.

What happened to no right or wrong way to play? Harassment and obscenities aren't cool, but I'm pretty sure if you want to get someone back for posting lots of messages on your comments, it's not too hard to find them in the rival list.

Babytway
12-20-2011, 02:58 PM
i also suggested to funzio they put a delete button for the newsfeed like they did the comment wall so that you can delete the spam in your newsfeed as well but don't know if they gonna put that in a future update

Joeycool
12-20-2011, 03:00 PM
Who cares if you get spammed?

Its really annoying and childish and not in keeping with the game. Plus you loose any genuine messages you get from other people.

Or any fights you lost plus explosives lost etc.

I'm pretty sure if you want to get someone back for posting lots of messages on your comments, it's not too hard to find them in the rival list.

Yeah, like I say... thats what I do. I find them and explain the error of their ways then go out of my way rob them blind.

Syn
12-20-2011, 03:08 PM
I guess I am just one of the luckiest players on CC. I have never been nor have I have spammed someone. I have seen it on other's walls, but that's it. If it happened to me, I'd just do what Joey says. Tell them no no! And then squeeze every last penny out of their hood.

K@le
12-20-2011, 03:19 PM
2 days back i was talking through the comment wall with Joeycool and his wall was spammed completely and he asked the guy why you do that to my wall, the spammers answer was something like i dont want you to rob me anymore !!! WTF thats all about the game.
So they can rob other players who they can beat, but they wont alow to be beaten..... yeah right.
If you go read on a spammers wall you will find messages of themselfe like dont rob me or accept the consequence of being robbed blah blah blah and then they spam you because they get robbed hahahahahahaha

Funny......

martMode
12-20-2011, 03:35 PM
fully agree guys. i have had racial slurs and hate speeches on my wall before. and the player(s) dont even know which continent i come from. it is illegal in most, if not all, developed countries. it is a good thing Funzio is dealing with this and as all of you said, it is only a game. and games are supposed to be enjoyed upon.

i like Joeycool's comment, yes, they should play Tap Zoo if they dont even know this is crime city and the basic fundamentals of this game.

Penutt
12-20-2011, 04:26 PM
All I know is when I grow up I wanna be just like Babytway!!!!!!!!! You are my hero.......

Penutt
12-20-2011, 04:31 PM
As for my opinion on spamming, I think the simple resolution would be to ban the spammer from being able to see the victim of the spamming on their rivals list and to ban him/her from posting on that individuals wall. If the spammer gets more than one "verified" complaint then they should then be banned from playing the game. I quoted verified because there are some people who report other players as spammers just because he/she is getting that butt taxed on a regular.

2Legit
12-20-2011, 04:38 PM
I guess I am just one of the luckiest players on CC. I have never been nor have I have spammed someone. I have seen it on other's walls, but that's it. If it happened to me, I'd just do what Joey says. Tell them no no! And then squeeze every last penny out of their hood.

I second that. I have never been spammed either ever since I started playing this game.

All I know is when I grow up I wanna be just like Babytway!!!!!!!!! You are my hero.......

Haha, isn't she a legend..LOL

dudeman
12-20-2011, 06:03 PM
Hmm.. I'll just say this and see what happens...

*****ing about spammers isn't any better than the spamming. Spamming obviously doesn't get you anywhere because you make yourself a target. *****ing about spamming doesn't seem to be any more rewarding.

Note: I am in no way supporting either play style, spamming or non-spamming. Harassment and whatnot is a separate issue since it can occur in both spam, and non-spam form.

Penutt
12-20-2011, 07:44 PM

*****ing about spammers isn't any better than the spamming. Spamming obviously doesn't get you anywhere because you make yourself a target. *****ing about spamming doesn't seem to be any more rewarding.

Note: I am in no way supporting either play style, spamming or non-spamming. Harassment and whatnot is a separate issue since it can occur in both spam, and non-spam form.

dudeman in response to your post I am not sure if you have been the recepient of a spammer but I have and it is irritatting as hell and number two it is basically a form of cheating because it inhibits a players ability to play the game. Everyone who has attacked/robbed you is constantly being erased by some idiot who is pissed because he/she is getting that butt taxed. I had a dude spam my wall for 3 days straight 24/7. I had to basically wait until he finished so I could play again and hope I find other rivals on the rivals list again. Lets use this scenario....you are a race care driver who has been kickin his rivals butt all day on the track so your rival steals all of your spare tires and when you pit stop you can not go back onto the race track because you have no fresh tires. Its like man up and either get better or stop playing the game!

Cheers
12-20-2011, 09:00 PM

Wait till you get spammed 6 days in a row at any possible chance that guy have. You will soon be on your way to the forum *****ing about him. I was okay with the spam initially as I thought he is just gonna do it once. But no, that guy spammed me 6 days in a row! At any possible chance he had. Everytime he logged in, I will get spams. I cannot even revenge those ppl who robbed/attack me, because the news is full of his ****.

dudeman
12-20-2011, 09:38 PM
Wow, I didn't realize it was becoming such a problem. Never had that happen yet.

What's wrong with the rival list when your news gets spammed?

That race car scenario makes no sense with regards to spamming. Your news wall has nothing to do with spare tires, and if you are referring to revenge buttons, again, what's wrong with the rival list?

Sorry, I guess I'm just being a devil's advocate again, but I still don't fully understand how spamming makes the game unplayable. I can understand it being a nuisance, but can't make the connection between news feed and playability.

jlhy
12-20-2011, 10:07 PM
Sorry, I guess I'm just being a devil's advocate again, but I still don't fully understand how spamming makes the game unplayable. I can understand it being a nuisance, but can't make the connection between news feed and playability.

A lot of people like using their news list rather than their rivals list to chose who to attack and rob. What the spamming does is push everyone who's robbed or attacked them off their news list and all thats left is the spammers board spam. If the player is being constantly spammed, he has no way of finding out who has been robbing or attacking him recently because the attack and rob messages will be constantly pushed off by the spam. In essence this type of player will lose an aspect of the game they enjoy because of the constant spam.

Penutt
12-20-2011, 10:14 PM
Wow, I didn't realize it was becoming such a problem. Never had that happen yet.

What's wrong with the rival list when your news gets spammed?

That race car scenario makes no sense with regards to spamming. Your news wall has nothing to do with spare tires, and if you are referring to revenge buttons, again, what's wrong with the rival list?

Well I guess my scenario and the point I was trying to make went completely over your head so let me clarify myself especially since you have never been the victim of a spammer and do not know how much it can affect your ability to play the game. When someone spams your news feed it completely replaces everything previously posted. So say you had a rival on there who you wanted revenge against and as anyone knows it is much easier to get revenge on someone who is on your news feed versus looking for them on your rivals list because who wants to sit around clicking refresh for hours trying to find a rival to get revenge. Sometimes people you look for appear on your rivals list and many times they do not so for some idiot to come and erase your news feed with spam it inhibits your ability to get revenge from previous attackers/robbers. Thats why I made the scenario of tires and racing because without tires a car can't race and without your news feed you can get revenge! Revenge is a very big part of playing this game just like tires are to racing! Very simple analogy.......Additionally a lot of people use spamming as a way to prevent people from attacking or robbing him/her back. They will rob or attack you and then fill your news feed up full of spam so you can't find them because anyone who has played this game for any length of time knows that the rival list sucks and sometimes the player you are looking for will not appear on it.

Tramp Stamp
12-20-2011, 10:26 PM
A simple solution would be to institute a simple block algorithm. If there exceed a certain number of posts within a certain amount of time, add the poster to a "block candidates" list where the spammed player can choose to filter the offender. Most likely this would be a "cool down" jail where the ban would be both temporary and specific to the player. The spammed party would forfeit revenge as well.

The best part about this is that Funzio support washes their hands of the matter, and that any abuse amounts two two players in a sea of millions who can't see each other for a limited time. I suppose one could theoretically completely eliminate rivals exploiting this feature but it be a lot of work. After a while of this, the rival list would whittle down to the strongest players who aren't intimidated and with everyone else off the list there would be nowhere to hide.

I also think Rob/Revenge should appear on all posts if the person has attacked within the past 72 hours or so.

dudeman
12-20-2011, 11:42 PM
A lot of people like using their news list rather than their rivals list to chose who to attack and rob. What the spamming does is push everyone who's robbed or attacked them off their news list and all thats left is the spammers board spam. If the player is being constantly spammed, he has no way of finding out who has been robbing or attacking him recently because the attack and rob messages will be constantly pushed off by the spam. In essence this type of player will lose an aspect of the game they enjoy because of the constant spam.

I understand what spamming does, and the revenge feature, but that's not the only way to play the game is all I was saying.

Obviously people are abusing the idea of spamming now, although I still have yet to see it first hand. That's not to say I haven't seen a couple spammed walls, but that was a while ago and was probably for a good reason. They belonged to players who attempted to use me as a personal bank, almost to the point of leaving my hood open to time my buildings. I increased my stats and put an end to that, but other people had obviously chosen the spam route.

As for revenge, what goes around comes around. What happens when you aren't strong enough to get revenge? Find someone you can rob and just get their money instead would be my bet. So just do the same if your news feed gets flooded. I still don't see the big deal. I do understand what is being talked about, I just don't see a reason for getting all worked up about spammers.

Who knows, maybe once I experience it for myself I will see it differently.

dudeman
12-20-2011, 11:52 PM
A simple solution would be to institute a simple block algorithm. If there exceed a certain number of posts within a certain amount of time, add the poster to a "block candidates" list where the spammed player can choose to filter the offender. Most likely this would be a "cool down" jail where the ban would be both temporary and specific to the player. The spammed party would forfeit revenge as well.

The best part about this is that Funzio support washes their hands of the matter, and that any abuse amounts two two players in a sea of millions who can't see each other for a limited time. I suppose one could theoretically completely eliminate rivals exploiting this feature but it be a lot of work. After a while of this, the rival list would whittle down to the strongest players who aren't intimidated and with everyone else off the list there would be nowhere to hide.

I also think Rob/Revenge should appear on all posts if the person has attacked within the past 72 hours or so.

These all sound like rational solutions.

I think all posts by rivals, regardless of type, should have the rob/attack option available. If someone says something like "you suck" on your wall, for no reason and without provocation, wouldn't it be nice to just slap them? People can visit your hood and just talk **** and there's no way to find them right now.

Seems like that would also solve the spamming issue you guys have. Revenge for trespassing and tagging the wall in my hood! Lol

Max Power
12-21-2011, 04:50 AM
I'm kinda with Dudeman on this one. It takes away an element of the game, but doesn't make it unplayable.

Funzio has stated that a future update will fix this.

Sdot
12-21-2011, 05:09 AM
I understand what spamming does, and the revenge feature, but that's not the only way to play the game is all I was saying.

Obviously people are abusing the idea of spamming now, although I still have yet to see it first hand. That's not to say I haven't seen a couple spammed walls, but that was a while ago and was probably for a good reason. They belonged to players who attempted to use me as a personal bank, almost to the point of leaving my hood open to time my buildings. I increased my stats and put an end to that, but other people had obviously chosen the spam route.

As for revenge, what goes around comes around. What happens when you aren't strong enough to get revenge? Find someone you can rob and just get their money instead would be my bet. So just do the same if your news feed gets flooded. I still don't see the big deal. I do understand what is being talked about, I just don't see a reason for getting all worked up about spammers.

Who knows, maybe once I experience it for myself I will see it differently.

the reason why you probably haven't experienced this is because you haven't acted like a dbag and CONTINUOUSLY came back to the same hood over and over and over and over and over to rob them. hence no reason for anyone to spam you.. i rob, move on. thousands of players to choose from no need to keep robbing the same person over and over again.

Rarelibra
12-21-2011, 05:30 AM
Spamming is completely out of order.

There is no such thing as harassment by attacking or robbing someone. The game is called crime city! Its about crime! If you dont like getting robbed either get better at the game or go and play Tap Zoo!

I had someone spam my wall once... Now I dont single people out for attack. I just go through my list and rob the first person I come across. So what did I do as a result of getting spammed? I singled this guy out. I robbed him blind at every opportunity and actively searched him out.

I also gave him some advise... And its what I do If I get someone who kicks my ass. I send them a message saying how awesome their hood and stats are and how great at the game they are.

Guess what ALWAYS comes next? A big thank you, and a sorry for attacking you and an invite to join their mafia. Job done.

Spamming is completely unacceptable and will just anger your attacker and get you singled out for future attacks by them.

joeycool - the only counter is that there are people who may see your hood as a little piece of cheese that they can visit on a daily basis. And if you offer the "nice hood, let's join up" - they can ignore it and... as Penutt said so nicely... continue to get that butt taxed on a regular. I'm with others who say I go to the list, pick someone out, rob, and move on. If I get a really good hit, I can expect either an invite or a bit of revenge for recoup.

I just think spam is what it is - and doesn't deserve "banning" punishment unless it is of a racial or insulting manner. I think it is funny, actually, that Funzio would choose to concentrate so many resources on it (including development of a filter - for language, yes - otherwise... ) instead of, say, better buildings, neighborhoods, or weapons.

Just MHO.

Tramp Stamp
12-21-2011, 09:39 AM
I think all posts by rivals, regardless of type, should have the rob/attack option available

Problem with that is defining "rival". There is massive chance for predatory behavior by preying on low level players posting their codes or offering a "nice hood".

dudeman
12-21-2011, 10:15 AM
Problem with that is defining "rival". There is massive chance for predatory behavior by preying on low level players posting their codes or offering a "nice hood".

Ok, all rivals +/- 5 levels of your own. That would fix that. I don't know what kind of programming nightmares might be involved, but it would work! Lol

Penutt
12-21-2011, 06:24 PM
These all sound like rational solutions.

I think all posts by rivals, regardless of type, should have the rob/attack option available. If someone says something like "you suck" on your wall, for no reason and without provocation, wouldn't it be nice to just slap them? People can visit your hood and just talk **** and there's no way to find them right now.

Seems like that would also solve the spamming issue you guys have. Revenge for trespassing and tagging the wall in my hood! Lol

NOW THAT IS ONE HELL OF A IDEA AND I LIKEY! HAVING THE ABILITY TO ROB/ATTACK PEOPLE WHO LEAVE MESSAGES ON YOUR NEWS WALL WOULD RESOLVE THE SPAMMING ISSUE AND A LOT OF OTHER ISSUES.......DUDEMAN YOU ARE MY HERO ALONG WITH BABYTWAY!

dudeman
12-21-2011, 07:48 PM
They already have a filter in place that disables revenge on people you've added to your mafia, I think it might actually be feasible to include a level limiter for revenge on wall posts. This whole idea may not stop people from spamming, but it should be a strong deterrent since doing that would actually put you in someone's news for longer.

Penutt
12-21-2011, 08:11 PM
How freakin ironic is this......I go to log back into CrimeCity after posting in the forum and some idiot named battry has spammed my wall over 50 times all because he robbed me last night so I robbed him back taxing him for 3X what he took and I attacked him so he spams me and has erased all of the other battles I had going on!!!!!!!!!!! See this is exactly why spamming is an issue and who ever you are "battry" you are a coward and a punk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

martMode
12-22-2011, 07:27 PM
Penutt dude, I know how you feel...

In fact, I currently have one "Kai 808" who moaned about me attacking him (only twice) and winning and he was so sore that being -24 levels below me, he had to keep spamming me wall. You mean I cannot attack levels way lower than me??? Well, I got initiated as well and still am. So, it is part of the game.

I am currently practising what the higher levels are doing, somehow, they only attack me once or twice, then they move on... So, it seems this is the etiquette.

CJ54
12-22-2011, 07:49 PM
We have plans to add a spam filter in an upcoming update due to people using this as a "tactic", and also just because it is incredibly annoying.

In the meantime, here's what to do about spamming (or someone posting vulgar/profane stuff on your comment wall): Leave it up on the comment wall, contact us at crimecity-ios-support@funzio.com with your mafia code, and (this is important) do not spam/harass in return*. Let us handle the issue. I will be adding this info to an upcoming FAQ sticky.

-C

*And please, please do not try to instigate other players to post on your wall so that you can report them. We will figure out what you are doing, and you will be in big trouble. Don't do it.

Max Power
12-22-2011, 08:01 PM
How freakin ironic is this......I go to log back into CrimeCity after posting in the forum and some idiot named battry has spammed my wall over 50 times all because he robbed me last night so I robbed him back taxing him for 3X what he took and I attacked him so he spams me and has erased all of the other battles I had going on!!!!!!!!!!! See this is exactly why spamming is an issue and who ever you are "battry" you are a coward and a punk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Penutt, no offense, but while I was trolling along in the game tonight looking at some peoples comments, I saw a little but if you talking a little bit of trash. Not sayin, just sayin.....

Syn
12-22-2011, 08:01 PM
We have plans to add a spam filter in an upcoming update due to people using this as a "tactic", and also just because it is incredibly annoying.

In the meantime, here's what to do about spamming (or someone posting vulgar/profane stuff on your comment wall): Leave it up on the comment wall, contact us at crimecity-ios-support@funzio.com with your mafia code, and (this is important) do not spam/harass in return*. Let us handle the issue. I will be adding this info to an upcoming FAQ sticky.

-C

*And please, please do not try to instigate other players to post on your wall so that you can report them. We will figure out what you are doing, and you will be in big trouble. Don't do it.

Looks like that solves this problem, looking forward to the update!