PDA

View Full Version : Feel like I've finally cracked it...

Havster
12-19-2011, 07:53 AM
Ok so about 2 weeks ago I posted on here that anyone that buys gold items is near on unbeatable and the loss rates of your units make fighting pointless etc etc etc.

Well I'm back and would like to share how I've turned this around!! Making my army, at it's current level of 23, near unbeatable without buying a single gold item.

First of all, from my messing about, the game follows strictly the rate of loss quoted on each unit and runs through them items in that order. I'm not saying that you won't lose the "low" quoted items. You will and it sucks big monkey nuts but you can reduce this risk massively!!

Bottom line is its war and you take casualties. So the solution??? Ensure you have a lot of high rated expendable pawns!!!

Current level 23. Attack 1342 Defense 1483.

The way to do it:

Do not do missions!! Cannot stress this enough!!! You do NOT want to be steaming through the levels in the hope of a nice drop from a mission. You will lose units and the gain, assuming you even get one, won't warrant the losses. You can do the missions later when you are a force to be reckoned with.

Upgrade your money buildings continuously. This is your unit fund and should take prio!!!

Buy loads, and I mean hundreds, of low level expendable troops. The 600, 1000 and 2000 cost ones work great. These are your bread and butter to cover acceptable loses!

I am now on mission 28 of the honour reward missions, earning 150+ every time I complete one which I do frequently!

Choose what you wish to buy with these, personally I do avengers and combat boats, currently have 18 and 35 of these respectively.

As for other troops, ground, air and sea.... Well that's up to you. Using the above info then logically check the loss rates and go from there. Just keep your expendables topped up!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't be afraid to stop fighting and gaining exp to gather funds from your buildings and restock troops. You may of taken a bit of a beating but that's fine, cease fire, restock and carry on!!!

Tried, tested and works. Am now finding this game a lot of fun!!! Nothing quite so satisfying as watching the gold buyers smash against your army to make you smile.

Enjoy!!!

Dover
12-19-2011, 08:02 AM
Good information, thank you. Now that my upgrading and plot development are taking over 24 hours and my vault can keep up with my income I can start to accumulate the numbers needed to be effective. I am only getting attacked 5-6 times a night and losing once or twice. I hope to correct that and find someone how is not using their vault in the process. :-)

That's the nice thing about a game like this, given enough time and drive, someone will start to chip away and figure out a way to make it fun again. Number crunchers FTW!

Havster
12-19-2011, 08:42 AM
Oh and any doubters, add me and take a look!

140 041 626

:)

ankyrin
12-19-2011, 09:59 AM
Check your PMs.

Can you clarify: "I am now on mission 28 of the honour reward missions, earning 150+ every time I complete one which I do frequently!"?

Havster
12-19-2011, 10:17 AM
Of course, there are missions/challenges you get for attacking people of certain levels or people with 20+ allies x amount of times. I complete these one after the other with no problems. Info above is incorrect I'm actually on mission number 33. I get, depending on the challenge. 100-170 honour points per one of these.

Hope that is clearer.

Havster
12-19-2011, 10:19 AM
Sorry valour!! Valour reward missions, lol my bad. :)

Havster
12-19-2011, 10:31 AM
Replied to your pm :)

ankyrin
12-19-2011, 11:33 AM
Not that I ever doubted, but your stats are better than advertised: L25, attack/defense 1500/1500+.

frenda
12-19-2011, 12:52 PM
I slowly stumbled across that solution as well, just didn't have the numbers or experience to confirm it. I had noticed the trend that when I had lots of high value units, they were the ones I lost most in raids and attacks. Don't forget that you never know who will attack you, so it seems intuitive to me that a balance of forces is a good thing. And the valor units add a lot, so doing the missions that add a lot of valor points seem to pay off dividends not initially made obvious at the lower levels.

Bas
12-19-2011, 01:32 PM
Hello Havster, Im still not very good now. I also dont buy these stuff, currently I have won 350 times and lost 125 times. Not bad imo. But I have a question; where do you spend your points on when you level up ? On attack/defense/stamina or resources? Currently I've a bit more defense than attack since most of the time im not playing, so defense is necessary. But which options do you chose and why ? Also, my English isnt very good so I didnt get your info for 100%, but are you saying that its better to buy for examply 100 Fighter Jets (3000 dollar) than 10 other expensive kind of jets (30000 dollar each) ? Also, what are you upgrading first: defense buildings or money buildings? And my last question, how is it possible that when I have better stats of defense/attack than the other player, that I still lose? I never understood that.. Many questions haha, I hope you could answer them :) And can I add you? Im almost level 20 now, im a casual player but I need some friends, I only have 25

Cheers,

Bas

Havster
12-19-2011, 01:49 PM
You are more than welcome to add me.

Jets was something I didn't cover but the trick to getting this game is to check the chances of losing an item. I personally have about 50 of the 3 attack jets knowing full well I will lose them fairly fast but I will then buy more expensive ones and let the cheap ones get used up while my expensive ones are less likely to be lost.

You don't even have to buy cheap jets, cheap troops make amazing expendable assets. I do however recommend buying lots of cheaper jets regardless as the stats soon add up. 100 jets, 4k each meaning for a small 400 k you've added 300 attack right there!!!

I personally let my troops be the cannon fodder.

I must state again you can and will still lose high end items! But the more you dilute the pool with expendables the better the chances that you won't.

Regarding my stats I put everything into attack and stamina, I will eventually switch to energy.

Money buildings are the key to the game as you will eventually have to simply stop fighting and replenish your forces. Always prio them!!! Very important you are self sufficient and don't need missions.

As for losing against people with lower stats there is a hidden stat when you go 1 vs 1 against someone which no one has ever sussed out to my knowledge but this is why I put everything into attack.

Hope this helps.

Garrison64
12-19-2011, 11:19 PM
Hunkering down at a lower level so I can build and save safely with a high defense relative to my level, I've put all my points into defense so far. Sitting on a record of 209 wins to 10 losses (the losses all came very early on before I leveled my defense at all) and I've only lost 2 units. I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea to put a few of those points into defense. From what I've read it does work as a kind of multiplier on your overall defense numbers. Nobody seems to know for sure but so far it seems to be working alright for me. I'll be curious to see how it stands up when I start leveling later on. But I'm more of a builder than a fighter so this may not be the best route for someone who's constantly on the attack.

Agent Orange
12-20-2011, 08:41 AM
We use meat shields as well but there is a point where the game stops adding their values into your attack and defense totals and that seems to be related to the level you are at and the number of allies. I'm at L64 with 612 allies and 1643 units, I would say no more than 5-7% are high value attack while the bulk are defensive and low level such as scouts. This gives me an attack score of 10400 and defense of 13525. I have also built up my skill scores, past 60 attack and defense and in the higher levels these start to come into play.

Just to clarify something, having all these low level units helps protect your high value units when you are being attacked but you still loose if the attacker has much higher attack values. The game seems to have such a mismatch in terms of attacking and raiding that a lot of players have stopped as the cost to benefit ratio is way too skewed in the direction of you loosing a high value attack unit vs the defenders low value unit. Same goes for raiding, unless you are hitting up a very high value target it is not economical to raid as you loose more $$ in terms of units lost vs money gained.

So eventually the only thing left to do is grow your economic base so you can buy upgrades so you can grow your base..... at which point you feel like a hamster on a treadmill. I suspect at this point you really start to question the purpose of this game.....

If you are going to buy units they are most economically useful at the beginning of the game. As you advance their cost to added value starts to really drop off unless you are willing to start spending hundreds or even thousands of dollars, but then what's the point, you bought your way to the top which isn't really much of an accomplishment.

chuck norris
12-20-2011, 09:26 AM
I'm at level 54, income is $110,000, and by all means questioning the purpose of the game. It is ridiculously wrong.
the algorithms are very f***** and funzio isn't listening to the roar of disapproving supporters. I bought three small gold units, and since I suffer the same BS fight mechanics as everyone else, it was a complete waste of money. Funzio CHANGED the mechanics in the last couple weeks it's very clear. I have no f***** clue what there reason is for not having reverted back yet. EVERBODY IS COMPLAINING!! I guess the stupid mechanics are supposed to drive us to BUY GOLD UNITS to finally maintain some sort of army. Doesn't matter. Unless you buy a hundred, and arm your whole alliance, you lose every other unit anyway. I just raided a base with a *** 1/5 1/5 yes 1/5 of my attack. I won 18 raids, 14 times I lost a unit or two, with a summary of 18 units lost during 18 winning raids. 75% casualty against mr puny. Does it even matter if they were high mid or low loss units??? Not really. WTF. I'm still playing cause my cash invested and because IF they ever give us what we all want I'll have fun again.

Dover
12-20-2011, 09:40 AM
At what point did you all start leveling? I find it harder and harder not to do a quest, farm, or attack people who thought they could beat me while I was asleep. I dont think I do a lot but the XP adds up quickly. I am at L20, I have not gotten attacked much this past week, it has really slowed down and I have not lost a fight for 2 nights. I still need to level more money buildings I think, I only have about $23k p/h and need a bigger vault but I am getting ichy just logging on every night to collect a few bucks and then log off waiting for 24-48 hour timers to end. I am on some of your guys friends list as Ikura.

Agent Orange
12-20-2011, 12:15 PM
I started playing when the game first came out, I didn't know that at the time and things were a lot different back then. For one thing the game didn't blow up every time you attacked someone for the second time as it does almost constantly now. The goals were not as difficult and the build times were shorter.

Just around the time the game was released to the US market the devs rejigged the game, it screwed all of us who had bought a level up for our vaults. the time went up x5, the value dropped from 1 million to 750k and to top it off all our counters were reset. I was 24 hours away from completing then suddenly I was 100 hours away.

I was leveling up from the start because there weren't a lot of players and there were no whales like we have now who appear to have spent hundreds if not thousands of dollars on units, buildings and upgrades who were picking everyone else off. Now you really need to watch your leveling up strategy and number of allies you accept, otherwise you suddenly find yourself facing a lot of players that are 5-10x more powerful than you are.

As a perspective from the other side I don't really find it that much fun being able to completely wipe out an opponent, in fact it kind of sucks because you know they are going to eventually get fed up and quit. Well ok I am guilty of leveling folks that have come in and wiped out my bros base. But I am starting to see a trend with players I recognize from the beginning and that is they are packing it in because the game really has no challenge in the higher levels. You will see them as having leveled up quite a ways 30-60 but either 1 building or nothing on their base. What they have done is sold off all their buildings and just sat their and let others come and attack them until their money is gone.

That's pretty sad if you ask me but it's the result of having such a totally screwed up way of assigning rivals. Granted the argument is that there aren't enough players to go around so you wind up having a lot of problems filling out the rivals list. I can see that as I see a lot of the same names all the time and I get some real mismatches turning up. Players 10-20 levels below me but under 1k attack and defense so they are dead meat.

Ok I understand that the devs are trying to appease the players at the high end who have nobody to attack but this is pretty bad, unfortunately I don't think there is a solution to this problem. So those who are getting wiped out only have a couple of options, quit or buy stuff and hope they can dig themselves out.

Given what I am seeing already I would have to say that we could see the game collapse in on itself as folks give up.

In Dover's case, I would probably write a script that could collect my cash though I don't think you can script IOS 5 outside of an app. Perhaps some clever person could write an app that would automate some of the really tedious things in this game and CC and sell it for 99 cents...

I think fixing the crashing problem is probably the biggest thing, bad enough that things take forever but when you attack then blow up and can't get back to your opponent things really start to bite.

The algorithm for picking rivals needs a fix, as others have said you need to not only take into account the players level and number of allies but also what their attack and defense values are, otherwise you wind up with some huge mismatches. Then if you do attack someone, they might loose a low value unit while you tend to loose higher value ones because it looks like the only thing consistent with this game is it unerring need to force you to buy stuff.

I like the concept of allies, but frankly the way it is implemented could use some tweaking. Perhaps add in a call for help from allies option in your sitrep page. In other words you might be too weak to attack back but one of the folks on your ally list might not be if they aren't allies of the attacker. One of the few things that has kept me playing is that I can go in and attack the folks attacking my bros base. Then leave a nice cheery note asking them how their base got flattened or see them again real soon.

As others have said, this game has huge potential I just wish it was achieving that potential a lot quicker....

rarry13
12-20-2011, 04:38 PM
I am at level 23 how do I find what strength my attack and defense is, under profile / skills all I see is 10 for attack 10 for defense 460 energy and 10 stamina?

Air
12-20-2011, 05:22 PM
I am at level 23 how do I find what strength my attack and defense is, under profile / skills all I see is 10 for attack 10 for defense 460 energy and 10 stamina?

This link should help you.
http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?15167-Couple-Questions

scp33
01-13-2012, 07:19 AM
So...Agent Orange...I need a big brother... Just saying...if you're looking for adoptable little brothers who need protecting...I'm available for adoption!

Agent Orange
01-13-2012, 08:57 AM
So...Agent Orange...I need a big brother... Just saying...if you're looking for adoptable little brothers who need protecting...I'm available for adoption!

Ahhh ok, just send me an ally request. ;) Unless your players name is moore, heh heh as he's on my watch and wait for list.

scp33
01-13-2012, 09:00 AM
Ahhh ok, just send me an ally request. ;) Unless your players name is moore, heh heh as he's on my watch and wait for list.

Request on its way! And then can I give you my hit list?! LOL!

scp33
01-13-2012, 09:00 AM

Id is Jonas

Agent Orange
01-13-2012, 04:48 PM

Heh heh, ok. We just added you to our group. Thanks!

Gixxxah_Ridah
01-13-2012, 06:54 PM
Ok so I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I just started playing modern war on my iPhone about a month ago and I'm addicted. I play all day long everyday and even downloaded it to my iPad and applied some of the things that I have learned my first time through. I love this forum and have found it entertaining and informative so I figured I'd register and share my thoughts, experience and ask questions.

First off I am not, and will never be, a gold player.

Hamster you are employing a lot of the tactics that I learned and have started using in both my higher and lower level players. I stopped doing missions unless it is for looting money and units. For example I do the amphibious squad leader mission as often as possible. It's in the docks level and it costs 92 energy pts but you get back a little cash and an amphibious troops (atk6/def8) and I now have 211 of those troopers. They have significantly increased my attack and defense stats. For the lower level guys there are tow other good looting missions. One in the offshore drilling level, do the aircraft carrier for 84 energy and get either an oil destroyer (3/2) or a mine ship (1/2) and one other that might be an oil aircraft carrier (3/5). There is also in enemy outpost the tank mission for 69 energy that gives a tree sniper (3/0) jungle helicopter (1/3) and one other option. One that cost a lot more is in communications level beat alexei borzakov which take 6 attacks at 75 energy each time but you get a rebel fighter (4/2) and about $30,000. I don't do any other missions at the moment and in the beginning I couldn't do enough missions.

The key is to build your base to make as much money as possible. At all times you should be doing the following, upgrading your money buildings, building a money building (build two of everything) expanding your base and increasing your vault security. Level up as SLOOOOOOW as possible to avoid attacks from higher level gold players. I haven't figured out what the limits is on upgrading the money buildings, not sure if there is one. Keep in mind when you look at the cost to upgrade vs the time for that to complete and the return on investment. Things that take a long time I wait until before I go to bed at night and upgrade those. Look for when you last collected money from a building and how long until you collect again. Ideally you want to start the upgrade of that building right after you collect the money. Also there are buildings that pay out quickly like the supply depot which pays out every 5 minutes but only great if you collect very 5 minutes. Money buildings don't start earning you money again until you've collected what it has earned. So a supply depot at say level 5 pays out $800 so that is $4,000 an hour.but only if you collect every 5 minutes.

As far as attacking rivals, this is great for earning valor and buying valor units which are great. But you have to be smart about your attacks. When you go to the list of rivals you need to hit "raid" and go check that rivals stats vs. Your stats. Find someone who has lower attck and defense than you and then attack that person. Otherwise attacking blindly will only result in you losing more than you win and costing you units that you'll have to pay to replace.

When it comes to units, I agree with havster and I've had great success with that approach but I also mix in a lot of those more expensive units as well. Also don't get more allies than you have units to support. You should have 5x the number of units as you have allies. So if you have 100 allies you better have at least 500 units.

I've types a novel here but here are my stats for my two players. Note that I am taking my sweet time with my new player and earning as much money as I can and focusing on building and upgrading my money buildings and expanding my base. Same approach I'm using with my higher level except from the very beginning.

Higher level (sully 568 504 776) level 39

Missions. 2431
Fights won 755
Fights lost. 625
Raids won 78
Raids lost. 32
#alliances. 107
# units. 971
Attack. 2679
Defense. 3458
$hour. $66,275

Lower level (Iran sheik 107 092 738) level 5

Missions. 35
Fights won. 0
Fights lost. 3
Raids. 0
Raids lost. 0
# alliances. 1
# units. 91
Attack. 12
Defense. 6
$ hour. $35,000 hour

Feel free to add me

Havster
01-13-2012, 08:23 PM
Just to update how I'm getting on - Attack now 4762 and Defense 5306 at Level 37.

:)

Flipmode
01-14-2012, 01:27 AM
Supply depot level 5 is $9,600 per hour, most of which I fail to collect! (Sorry, I'm a pedant)

All very helpful, thanks!

Bostonboypr72
01-14-2012, 03:15 PM
Add me 203297974 and friend 259 044 816