PDA

View Full Version : Modern War = 0 Enjoyment, Utter Waste of Time and Sanity

Amor
12-05-2011, 08:29 PM
Everything relating to Modern War pisses me off. Everything. It would be fun if it did not cause me to constantly want to kick babies, gauge my eyes with an icepick, and hurl my iPhone across the room. I think that the anxiety release that would come from any three of those would fully justify having to purchase another phone.

-Units disappearing for no reason: I check my profile to find 120 Attack, 133 defense. 20 minutes later I check again after no activity on Modern War. 87 Attack, 102 Defense. No reports on being attacked. No engagements of any kind since I last picked up the game. How in flaming hell is that possible? Maybe Funzio decided that another stat reduciton would be cute, eh? I checked to see if stats were changed. Nope. I am missing several Valor items and 1 other expensive item plus some fighters. This repeated once or twice since then. Forget you Funzio, your game blows.

Item stat reduction with no notice: Lame. enough said here.

Completely broken game economy: Okay, so in crime city, the whole point of the game is to....well, increase your economy so that you can to continue to increase your economy. Very little point in having money, the game revolves around respect. I think the unit losses is Funzio's attempt at making a good economy mandatory in order to have a strong fighting force. But losing respect items is assinine. And the casualty rate is horsepoo, you can lose a respect item attempting to gain 5 valor from attacking an enemy or lose an A10 bombarding enemy munitions when the enemy has 1/5 your attack/defense!!! Really?

The never-ending grind: As Agent Orange mentioned, the game does not get better at higher levels, or with economy improvement and structure upgrades. For most gamers, a grind can be expected at the beginning. You have to learn the ropes, earn your advantage if you wish to have one, and get a good feel for the game, but Modern war is relentless. It gets worse, with more casualties, more expensive casualties, and increased disadvantage relative to gold buyers.

'Unfair' Gold buyer advantage: Valor items become casualties on a regular basis, but gold items are 'indestructible.' C'mon son.

What an uphill struggle waste of time.

Zackky11
12-05-2011, 09:01 PM
I hear ya ima bout to stop playin I wish they would've taken the time to improve cc which needs sum thing new I've gotten to level 80 and it's growing dull but at least not frustrating like you said no point in playing a game that leaves you worse off than you were before you started unless the format changes I'm donee

Tramp Stamp
12-05-2011, 09:08 PM
"Modern War addresses none of Crime City's shortcomings while adding new ones"

Fair summation?

Zackky11
12-05-2011, 09:31 PM
Yes nicely put wonder if they are making a new cc it needs sum refreshment I'm tired of looking at everyone's city there all the same color layout for the most part I'd like to decorate but I'll never give a buck to a game with a plethora of game inconsistencies so unless they get reduced its white fences and those damn shrubs

2Legit
12-06-2011, 06:09 PM
Yeah, I totally agree with you @amor. I've contacted Funzio to delete my account for this game permanently but unfortunately they don't have that option, "yet".

Agent Orange
12-06-2011, 06:31 PM
Yeah I hear you, why I posted the thread about I'm so bored.

Seems the 'design' of the game is to force you to spend money buying buildings and weapons so you can buy more buildings and weapons. But the problem is you either are the prey or the predator and pretty much nothing else. If you think things get better the higher you get, forget it they get worse. Paint dries faster than the construction of buildings or your base and the higher you go the longer this takes! The only way to ease the pain is to buy gold to speed up the building process but do I really want to spend hundreds of dollars just to get nowhere faster?

The mechanic for deciding rivals is seriously broken, anyone who happens to be in the middle ground is going to be decimated by the higher level rivals that are also part of your group. At the top end which I suspect is where I've wound up. Not much to do expect attack folks at a lower level with lamer and lamer goals. Attack 36 rivals at level 51 or above, oh boy.... no wonder I've got a steady stream of players wanting to be my allie because the only thing I can do is go and blow them away. I decided not to attack their base and pray that they used their vaults so they won't be thoroughly pissed off at me but other than the slight chuckle of having a higher level player attack me and loose a pile of cash because I lead them into a trap (all 3 or 4 of them) this game is really starting to blow.

Amor
12-06-2011, 06:48 PM
"Modern War addresses none of Crime City's shortcomings while adding new ones"

Fair summation?
Excellently put, clear and concise.

Agent Orange, your post was enlightening as well. I think I will add the issues you guys bring up to the top so they are easily accessible.

Air
12-07-2011, 01:24 PM
I've almost had enough of this game. Constantly being attacked/raided by players much higher lvls than me and/or players with way more units and three times more attack/defense than me. I can't attack anybody on my rivals list. 2 days ago my attack/defense were both in the low 1400's. Upgrades and expansions are getting expensive and take longer and longer to do and i only get to play when I'm at home which isn't much. I'm only a lvl 32 and I started playing a few days after the game was released. So I stopped buying units. Today my stats are down to 800 and 1000 thanks to all the attacks.

Now I'm switching gears and changing my strategy. Money is going to upgrades, expansions and the vault only. I'm only spending energy on farming old missions for the free units but that's a little difficult since everybody is invisible and lastly I'm dropping allies so don't be offended if we're allies and I end up dropping you.

Oh, and I have not and will not spend real money

Amor
12-07-2011, 09:47 PM
Lol, never in my life would I spend real cash on this game.

looker
12-07-2011, 10:46 PM
Hmmm... hope it gets better... Simming is fun for a while, but eventually would like to get into the fight. BTW has anyone see any dev comments to complaints or suggestions? Is there even a moderator for these forums?

Tramp Stamp
12-07-2011, 11:49 PM
Crime City Mark seems to read everything but reply to select items. If any other Funzio employees or their proxies are in the vicinity they're strictly lurkers.

I think you can be competitive with what you have for quite some time. So get drunk, show off to your friends how awesome you are at this game this weekend, then buy some "hangover" Transports to relieve the inevitable headache.

Zyhpr
12-09-2011, 10:47 AM
Soon everyone would have transport and engineer battle ...lol, wanna taste my wrench...lol..whoever can keep buying/have the most wins...

Tramp Stamp
12-09-2011, 10:53 AM
Most people aren't invested enough to follow such a methodical approach. Then there's the information disadvantage of most people not visiting the forums. People following the Engineer 'n Transports strategy won't attack each other.

Deli
12-09-2011, 04:04 PM
I don't understand how it's fair if some one who's at lvl 39 and has 300+ allies can attack and raid me at lvl 32 and only 95 allies... Of course they are gonna win and steal my ****, and kill off my units. I can't get any income cuz everytime I sign on its the same **** same players taking all my money.. Put this game to rest like I am and stick with cc, least you guys are on the right track with cc..

Amor
12-10-2011, 06:34 PM
Doubtful. That would suggest that Funzio cares, right?

Agent Orange
12-12-2011, 09:16 AM
I don't understand how it's fair if some one who's at lvl 39 and has 300+ allies can attack and raid me at lvl 32 and only 95 allies... Of course they are gonna win and steal my ****, and kill off my units. I can't get any income cuz everytime I sign on its the same **** same players taking all my money.. Put this game to rest like I am and stick with cc, least you guys are on the right track with cc..

It doesn't get better as time goes on unless you can break out of the pack.

Have to admit I'm bored so I've been going and decimating the folks attacking my bros base and leaving them a cheery little note on their wall but even this is getting pretty lame.

So I've worked out my exit strategy, I'm going to sell off all my buildings except for the barrels and sandbags and with the empty landmass draw an nice little hand with raised index finger. With all the cash I'll buy as many medics as I can afford and post a fresh be my allie notice. Then add several hundred and buy all the medics.

Adolph
12-12-2011, 09:59 AM
-Units disappearing for no reason: I check my profile to find 120 Attack, 133 defense. 20 minutes later I check again after no activity on Modern War. 87 Attack, 102 Defense. No reports on being attacked. No engagements of any kind since I last picked up the game. How in flaming hell is that possible? Maybe Funzio decided that another stat reduciton would be cute, eh? I checked to see if stats were changed. Nope. I am missing several Valor items and 1 other expensive item plus some fighters. This repeated once or twice since then. Forget you Funzio, your game blows.

I believe that this issue has been addressed. I had the same problem and complained directly to support last week. A day or two later there was an update released that just said 'bug fix'. Was that the fix? Not sure. I have not seen mysterious disappearances since. More detail from Funzio might have been helpful.

Grafixx01
12-12-2011, 07:45 PM
I feel your frustrations and even posted my own thread about the issues as well. I have not gotten any response from the developer with the exception of, "we will look into it." i also havent seen anyone on here answering questions.

I like both games because they remind me of the old command and conquer, which i loved but cant play anymore (wife and kids take priority to gaming) so i play these.

I play contract killer as well and the developers there listen to suggestions and other feedback from players. Their game is like this but its a first-person shooter. They too have it where you can spend real money but playing without spending real money is still enjoyable for you.

duder
12-12-2011, 08:42 PM
I do wonder if this game (and crime city as well) would be more fun with an in game ranking of players. Oooo, how cool would it be to have a power ranking - get points for winning pvp against folks at higher level/higher alliance, that type of thing.

... while I'm thinking of nice things, I think I'd like to move somewhere warmer and have a job where I get more sun...

CRANK
12-12-2011, 11:19 PM
Add me 627 278 194

Agent Orange
12-13-2011, 05:13 AM
I feel your frustrations and even posted my own thread about the issues as well. I have not gotten any response from the developer with the exception of, "we will look into it." i also havent seen anyone on here answering questions.

I like both games because they remind me of the old command and conquer, which i loved but cant play anymore (wife and kids take priority to gaming) so i play these.

I play contract killer as well and the developers there listen to suggestions and other feedback from players. Their game is like this but its a first-person shooter. They too have it where you can spend real money but playing without spending real money is still enjoyable for you.

That's interesting, I used to like playing Command and Conquer as well as Contract Killer.

looker
12-13-2011, 02:00 PM
Actually this is one of the first games I've played where leveling can be a disadvantage. It seem if you dont progress, you can build and lay low, or if you are always on you can pwn everyone else. Its the middle that seems lame, painful, and frustrating.

Tramp Stamp
12-13-2011, 02:14 PM
Multiple kinds of levels disadvantage you at that. Both exp and allies can be dangerous in excess.

kworks
12-13-2011, 08:37 PM
TS: Modern War: Retired.....PERMANENTLY
Good choice for him.

Braxton13
12-13-2011, 09:45 PM
if you want to watch the world go up in flames add 418 838 075 on MW

Agent Orange
12-14-2011, 03:59 AM
Or if you prefer to watch a spammer go up in flames don't add then and go visit him instead.

Pluto
12-15-2011, 04:14 PM
I find it humorous that people complain "the game is designed to make you spend money". The game is F'n free! Of course it's designed to make you want to spend money.

chuck norris
12-15-2011, 05:38 PM
@ original poster: Amen and amen. Totally bleepin frustrating. Unbelievable how they expect people to enjoy it like this. Down at the core the game is awesome, I love the idea. Thats what keeps me playing, but every bleepin day the frustration gets worse and worse. my unit loss percentage today while raiding much smaller players was over 50%. Seriously.

Leetfeet
12-15-2011, 11:15 PM
Currently at 815 win, 35 loss. 71k income, lvl 14. No missions, pure pvp. All stats.

I really don't see this game going anywhere even with the success. Im gonna try focusing on economy for a couple of weeks more to see if I can tilt the scale over to income > loss.

Rigth now I can only figth 10 to 25 times a day and still upgrade area, buildings, plus bank. Not even remotely intelligent to invest in stamina..

chuck norris
12-16-2011, 07:17 AM
So far today, i have raided 50 times, and lost 40 units during winning raids. That really is 4 out of 5 folks. That really is 80%. Unreal.

kworks
12-19-2011, 02:57 PM
Got bored of the game just a week. Spent so much time harvesting, upgrading and getting allies but game leads to nowhere. Thanks to one member that constant leech on my income. Made my realized how bad is the game, so I can drop it once and for all.

Hope you guys still enjoy playing the game.

Wildfire
12-21-2011, 03:03 AM
The last update seems to have completely changed the game. I started playing about 3 weeks ago and without visiting these forums for any advise I just used my energy and stamina to the max. I carried out missions every time I'd enough energy, rarely losing any units in the process and attacked and raided as soon as I'd any stamina, again able to do this at a profit. At the time even this felt slow!

In a couple of days I was up to lvl 20ish when the game was updated, I started losing units all the time to the extent that I stopped raiding completely. No point raiding a much weaker player for a few hundred dollars and losing a 24k Warthog and a 75 valour Combat Boat in the process. Instantly the game play was changed so that there was much less to do.

I'd also ranked up to a level where I was being constantly attacked by much stronger forces, usually 2000+ attack strength against my 400ish defence. Looking at their stats when I could, the common denominator tended to be that they had all spent several hundred dollars on gold units. Well that's just not an option for me. So all I could do was try to build up my defence against them.

This is where this game is seriously slow, the build times and upgrade times are crazy, multiple 48hour plus upgrade times on the Shipyard for example has left me with nothing to do for nearly a week. I can't upgrade any other buildings at the same time, it takes 2 days to get a new square of land and usually only 10 hours to stick a building on it, so again nothing to do.

Carrying out missions has just increased my rank higher at the expense of getting attacked by even stronger players, so that's something else I've slowed down on.

So what does that leave as gameplay, not a lot, if nothing changes I can see me spending several weeks doing not much more than building and upgrading, if I stick with it!

Amor
12-26-2011, 09:58 AM
The last update seems to have completely changed the game. I started playing about 3 weeks ago and without visiting these forums for any advise I just used my energy and stamina to the max. I carried out missions every time I'd enough energy, rarely losing any units in the process and attacked and raided as soon as I'd any stamina, again able to do this at a profit. At the time even this felt slow!

In a couple of days I was up to lvl 20ish when the game was updated, I started losing units all the time to the extent that I stopped raiding completely. No point raiding a much weaker player for a few hundred dollars and losing a 24k Warthog and a 75 valour Combat Boat in the process. Instantly the game play was changed so that there was much less to do.

I'd also ranked up to a level where I was being constantly attacked by much stronger forces, usually 2000+ attack strength against my 400ish defence. Looking at their stats when I could, the common denominator tended to be that they had all spent several hundred dollars on gold units. Well that's just not an option for me. So all I could do was try to build up my defence against them.

This is where this game is seriously slow, the build times and upgrade times are crazy, multiple 48hour plus upgrade times on the Shipyard for example has left me with nothing to do for nearly a week. I can't upgrade any other buildings at the same time, it takes 2 days to get a new square of land and usually only 10 hours to stick a building on it, so again nothing to do.

Carrying out missions has just increased my rank higher at the expense of getting attacked by even stronger players, so that's something else I've slowed down on.

So what does that leave as gameplay, not a lot, if nothing changes I can see me spending several weeks doing not much more than building and upgrading, if I stick with it!
Well said. My thoughts exactly. Although my sig says I am retired, I am really turtling at lvl 20, just increasing my income and therefore increasing my defense as well. Will it get me anywhere? Nope. Just killing time I guess. From time to time I get attacked, and I win 98% of those odd fights now, but still lose a 225k unit in the process. I understand the strategy now though, the economy does actually come into play (unlike in CC) since you constantly have to replace senselessly lost units. Why anyone would spend money on this game though is beyond me.

Queek
12-26-2011, 10:52 AM
Sucks that I build up some forces and think I'll attack a couple people and get some quick cash only to find that they have a whole **** load of gold troops. Some people must be spending a ton of money on this game making it really hard for people like me that are just here for fun but I guess Funizo needs to earn money somehow

Carella211
12-26-2011, 11:22 AM
I feel everyones frustrations. For the time being, I'm going to stick with it in hopes that some updates come along that add more strategy and addresses the shortcomings. The game has potential, it just hasn't been realized yet.

And LOL at kats who spend money on this. (There should be a way you could earn gold, even if slowly)

phrenikos
12-26-2011, 11:23 AM
I was level 40 with about 3000+ stats and an alliance of 200 I was getting eaten alive by gold users. I remember whenever I would connect to the game my news feed would just show me all the attacks and raids within the last 2 hours. I stopped playing for around two days and I had no air units left, my stats hovered a little above 1500, there was no building left untouched.

Agent Orange
12-27-2011, 03:45 AM
I had hoped for the same things for a while. The sad reality is that it won't happen because the devs want you to buy gold and cash so their best customers are the one's you are complaining about the most.

Tramp Stamp
12-27-2011, 11:34 AM
The problem with Modern War is that the pool isn't diluted enough with non-gold players. The ratio of paying players vs free ones seems unsustainably high for this kind of game. My opinion is that they reached too far with the prices and mechanics. If anything this game needs to be cheaper than Crime City due to how derivative it is. It's hard to tell the attrition rate, but from what I'm hearing about the rival lists it seems high. If the game spirals down into primarily gold payers then they will leave en masse as even the biggest egotistical addict is going to cut his losses and not engage in an arms race that costs thousands. Even if there were a few guys doing this, maintaining a game like this requires thousands of people throwing $50 at it, not a handful of hardcore fans. They won't even pay the hosting bill.

TLDR: a game like this needs to scale, but Modern War doesn't scale.

MWDoucheCounter
12-27-2011, 01:01 PM
I agree wholeheartedly with everything said by Tramp Stamp and Agent Orange. In its current form, I just don't see how this game is sustainable. The user base already seems relatively small, and there appears to be substantial attrition and a general failure to attract or keep players except for the cash spending uberdouches that already have huge sunk costs invested in the game. Moreover, the people that do actually play seem unsatisfied and to be losing interest quickly. I don't think they will generate sufficient revenue to cover the development and operational costs, certainly not over the long term, unless there is a massive overhaul of the game mechanics. It would be interesting to see the reaction of gold players if Funzio shuts the game down after a few months, which according to the TOS it can do at any time without compensation to the players.

dschenker
02-16-2014, 02:11 PM
Also. Why is there no way to stop a player with 3 times the strength and size from raiding and attacking $3-$5 million dollars several times a day? That's just applauding the idiots! Now I am reasonable and understand that in today's world "everybody gets an award for showing up" but this make for yet another un-enjoyable for the few who play for fun and at least understand what the word respect means. Come on. I do spend money to play but am not buying an identity. Look at the people who commit crimes in life and I'm sure they are game winners. Parents take back control! I am.

QUOTE=Amor;68884]Everything relating to Modern War pisses me off. Everything. It would be fun if it did not cause me to constantly want to kick babies, gauge my eyes with an icepick, and hurl my iPhone across the room. I think that the anxiety release that would come from any three of those would fully justify having to purchase another phone.

Item stat reduction with no notice: Lame. enough said here.

Completely broken game economy: Okay, so in crime city, the whole point of the game is to....well, increase your economy so that you can to continue to increase your economy. Very little point in having money, the game revolves around respect. I think the unit losses is Funzio's attempt at making a good economy mandatory in order to have a strong fighting force. But losing respect items is assinine. And the casualty rate is horsepoo, you can lose a respect item attempting to gain 5 valor from attacking an enemy or lose an A10 bombarding enemy munitions when the enemy has 1/5 your attack/defense!!! Really?

The never-ending grind: As Agent Orange mentioned, the game does not get better at higher levels, or with economy improvement and structure upgrades. For most gamers, a grind can be expected at the beginning. You have to learn the ropes, earn your advantage if you wish to have one, and get a good feel for the game, but Modern war is relentless. It gets worse, with more casualties, more expensive casualties, and increased disadvantage relative to gold buyers.

'Unfair' Gold buyer advantage: Valor items become casualties on a regular basis, but gold items are 'indestructible.' C'mon son.

What an uphill struggle waste of time.[/QUOTE]

Dirty Mind
02-16-2014, 03:07 PM
uhhhh Hey dschenker. why did your first post on this forum need to be on a thread that is over 2 years old?