PDA

View Full Version : Trees covering your building level

Duke.0
11-28-2011, 11:40 AM
Everyday i see people with pine trees and other trees covering their level numbers on buildings. And my thought is ....whats the point?

First off, covering defense building numbers seems ridiculous. Why would you want hide how awesome your defense is to an opponent? Wouldn't you want to show off that you got high level defense buildings to scare away a potential rival? Makes no sense to cover a defense building on purpose to me.

Secondly, to me anyhow, i don't care if your movie theater is level 1 or 10, i'm probably going to rob it if i can. There are many buildings i feel this way about, clothing stores, Italian rest., lofts, internet company etc... So is covering up the level number really even worth it? Is it a deterrent for potential robbers to not see the level number? or is it more for the purpose of just not letting the rival know how awesome your building is, this way if they come back they have no idea what level it is?

Can anybody please explain the purpose of covering the building levels?

Tramp Stamp
11-28-2011, 11:46 AM
I agree with being puzzled over covering defense buildings. It could be to convey a low level building as a higher one, but no one looks at or cares about their levels. They just look at your cumulative defense rating, if they even bother to do that.

I admit I do the building obfuscation thing, though I have only two short trees. I use buildings to hide each other's ratings and bury the good ones behind tall buildings. Furthermore, I rotate everything so that the blandest side faces forward. I do think it is at least somewhat effective as robberies have gone down since doing so, but it could be coincidence. I think for higher level players that buying trees and hiding building levels is just something to do.

rustbinlid
11-28-2011, 11:55 AM
Everyday i see people with pine trees and other trees covering their level numbers on buildings. And my thought is ....whats the point?

First off, covering defense building numbers seems ridiculous. Why would you want hide how awesome your defense is to an opponent? Wouldn't you want to show off that you got high level defense buildings to scare away a potential rival? Makes no sense to cover a defense building on purpose to me.

Secondly, to me anyhow, i don't care if your movie theater is level 1 or 10, i'm probably going to rob it if i can. There are many buildings i feel this way about, clothing stores, Italian rest., lofts, internet company etc... So is covering up the level number really even worth it? Is it a deterrent for potential robbers to not see the level number? or is it more for the purpose of just not letting the rival know how awesome your building is, this way if they come back they have no idea what level it is?

Can anybody please explain the purpose of covering the building levels?

Some of my buildings are covered by other buildings, 3 are covered by trees. A lot of numbers are visible, it in my case is just pure laziness. I cannot be bothered to move the 3 trees.

Duke.0
11-28-2011, 12:36 PM
Right, i have some buildings covered by buildings but i'm talking about people who purposely cover their buildings with trees to hide their levels. I'm not saying its right or wrong to do. I just would like to know the philosophy behind it..thats all. :)

whocareswhatmynameis
11-28-2011, 12:41 PM
guilty as charged!

... i use pine trees and also cover my income buildings behind taller buildings (while trying to make it look as aesthetic as possible, such as regular spacing for the trees)

i based my decision on:
1) i have several reasonably good income buildings at different levels
2) my rival will have limited chance to rob me (either low stamina or low success rate)
3) pine trees are cheap decorations

(obviously if the enemy just started out PvP with 50 stamina, and he is significantly stronger than my defenses, that's another question)... i must admit there is a psychological component to it.

like you, i am puzzled by why anyone would cover defense buildings.

Duke.0
11-28-2011, 12:48 PM
guilty as charged!

... i use pine trees and also cover my income buildings behind taller buildings (while trying to make it look as aesthetic as possible, such as regular spacing for the trees)

i based my decision on:
1) i have several reasonably good income buildings at different levels
2) my rival will have limited chance to rob me (either low stamina or low success rate)
3) pine trees are cheap decorations

(obviously if the enemy just started out PvP with 50 stamina, and he is significantly stronger than my defenses, that's another question)... i must admit there is a psychological component to it.

Thanks! I was not saying i disagree with trees covering anything, i just was asking Why :)

I was considering buying trees to cover some buildings, but the way i got my buildings to have zero space between them, its hard to cover most of them up.

Markkemark
11-28-2011, 01:15 PM
People cover high defense buildings to make themselves look weaker to bait them into attacking and loosing?

Mb Tnk
11-28-2011, 01:19 PM

Before the stat's screen was available, looking at the levels of defense buildings gave you a good idea on how weak or strong the players actual PvP defense is.

NeonBlue
11-28-2011, 01:58 PM
I cover some of mine, because I assume those who come to rob me might use similar reasoning to that which I use when robbing others. For example, I'll rob a House that's level 8, but not one that's level 1.

Same as you, there are buildings I'll rob no matter their level, such as the Clothing Store, because I want the rep points. But there are plenty of buildings where I'll pass on them if they're low level (or hidden/unknown).

So if I have two Warehouses, one level 1 and one level 7, I'll hide both. Sure, you can still rob my big-money one, but at least I'll use up more of your Stamina. And just maybe you'll hit the lower one first and go away. ;)

But I agree, I don't see any point in covering up my Level 3 Internet building, since I don't think anyone would pass on it even if they thought it was "only" level 1.

asstron
11-28-2011, 02:21 PM
Can't you just click to hide numbers on buildings? This game is screwy because it doesnt have very good tool tips describing actions, maybe the options to hide building ranks only makes it so you cant see building ranks, but everyone else can!

Mb Tnk
11-28-2011, 03:11 PM
Can't you just click to hide numbers on buildings? ....

Only for your game, not everyone elses, it's like turning off sound, you do it for yourself only. Others who have this option on will see all, no matter what you do (unless you hind the info, hense the tree topic).

Amber_
11-28-2011, 03:12 PM
Can't you just click to hide numbers on buildings? This game is screwy because it doesnt have very good tool tips describing actions, maybe the options to hide building ranks only makes it so you cant see building ranks, but everyone else can!

bingo-----

brutus beefcake
11-28-2011, 04:37 PM
I do it.

For me it's kind of a "fool you" game because I leave some buildings (that I know will be targeted first) at low levels, but the ones I level up the highest are not as targeted by robbers.

Ex: Everyone that scopes my hood sees a Loft and is gonna jump at the chance to get money from it............but maybe my smokeshops generate more money, or my seafood restaurants.

A lot of higher level buildings' initial base income is lower than maxed out lower level buildings, so I make sure to spread the wealth out so as not to be upset because "one obviously targeted building generates the biggest heap of income".

And yeah, I do the defense buildings to. I think it's out of habit lol.

617Pats
11-28-2011, 04:37 PM

Secondly, to me anyhow, i don't care if your movie theater is level 1 or 10, i'm probably going to rob it if i can.

I agree that covering defense buildings seems useless if you have strong defense.

You really rob level 1 Movie theatres, its not worth it to me. The payout is really low.

Duke.0
11-28-2011, 05:21 PM
I do it.

For me it's kind of a "fool you" game because I leave some buildings (that I know will be targeted first) at low levels, but the ones I level up the highest are not as targeted by robbers.

Ex: Everyone that scopes my hood sees a Loft and is gonna jump at the chance to get money from it............but maybe my smokeshops generate more money, or my seafood restaurants.

A lot of higher level buildings' initial base income is lower than maxed out lower level buildings, so I make sure to spread the wealth out so as not to be upset because "one obviously targeted building generates the biggest heap of income".

And yeah, I do the defense buildings to. I think it's out of habit lol.

Can you give me an example of what low level building has a better payout then a higher level one?

I can think of maybe...the House has a good payout at higher levels i think, but mine is only level 6 so i'm not positive.

Tramp Stamp
11-28-2011, 07:31 PM
Technically the Nightclub and Loft are low level buildings, but I know that's not what you wanted to hear. While it's not popular to introduce Laundromat into these discussions, level 10 does pull 4,950 Tycoon dollars per hour, which puts it near the median of all buildings. Mansion, while a cruddy value, can also hang with 5,843.75 Tycoon $/hr at level 10. Empire Theater, another dust bin early building, does even better at $12,375. All the "regular" low level buildings fade away, however. As time goes on their value comes from previous investments in leveling and being long paid off.

Duke.0
11-28-2011, 07:43 PM
Technically the Nightclub and Loft are low level buildings, but I know that's not what you wanted to hear. While it's not popular to introduce Laundromat into these discussions, level 10 does pull 4,950 Tycoon dollars per hour, which puts it near the median of all buildings. Mansion, while a cruddy value, can also hang with 5,843.75 Tycoon $/hr at level 10. Empire Theater, another dust bin early building, does even better at $12,375. All the "regular" low level buildings fade away, however. As time goes on their value comes from previous investments in leveling and being long paid off.
What other non gold buildings do this besides the laundromat?
This is interesting ..

Tramp Stamp
11-28-2011, 07:56 PM
Well, don't know what the criteria is exactly, but Lv10 Italian Restaurant pulls $3,850/hr. Laundromat, mafia unlocks, and gold buildings are exceptions. Everything else pretty much scales to level starting from around 24. Souvenir Store generates as much as the Arcade, $1,650, and is far cheaper to upgrade.

duder
11-28-2011, 08:18 PM
Here's a good example (with tycoon payouts):
house @ lvl 4 gives 3600 per collection
movie theater @ lvl 1 gives 3100 per collection

The difference in yield combined with the difference in inherent building defense bonuses, I'd probably prefer folks try to rob my lvl 1 mt than my lvl 4 house - not only do they have a lower chance of making off with my mt income, but if they do, they don't hurt me as much.

Max Power
11-28-2011, 08:29 PM
Reasons to hide Income buildings:

1. Prevents buildings like Houses and Pawn Shops from getting tagged when they are scaled up. People won't risk the bullet.

2. Prevents higher level buildings that are scaled up from being "remembered" by rivals trolling hoods when your buildings are not ready to be tagged. People do come back and they will remember your name.

3. As mentioned, creates confusion between the pairs of buildings where one is leveled up and another is not.

4. Lure people into tagging lower levels building so they waste bullets on less of your money.

4. It looks nicer.

Reasons to hide defense buildings:

1. To fool people into think you have strong defense when you actually haven't leveled defense buildings up yet, especially if you have a lot of one kind.

2. To bait people into robbing you when you have strong defense by disguising it.

Granted, some of these strategies have limited success, especially the defense ones, but they all have worked at one time or another. The idea is to make people think something is true that is not.

Duke.0
11-29-2011, 12:17 AM

1. Prevents buildings like Houses and Pawn Shops from getting tagged when they are scaled up. People won't risk the bullet.

2. Prevents higher level buildings that are scaled up from being "remembered" by rivals trolling hoods when your buildings are not ready to be tagged. People do come back and they will remember your name.

3. As mentioned, creates confusion between the pairs of buildings where one is leveled up and another is not.

4. Lure people into tagging lower levels building so they waste bullets on less of your money.

4. It looks nicer.

Reasons to hide defense buildings:

1. To fool people into think you have strong defense when you actually haven't leveled defense buildings up yet, especially if you have a lot of one kind.

2. To bait people into robbing you when you have strong defense by disguising it.

Granted, some of these strategies have limited success, especially the defense ones, but they all have worked at one time or another. The idea is to make people think something is true that is not.

Thanks! Good info :)

badd
11-29-2011, 01:12 AM

this is why I hide mines. I have been thinking bout getting rid of all of them just because it gets annoying sometimes when you try to select a building and the tree gets chosen all the time.

heath4pack
11-29-2011, 01:51 PM
might have already been stated, but I figure if a player has taken the time to cover a number or try to hide a building, then there must be something of value to it...thus, it gets robbed

rustbinlid
11-29-2011, 03:35 PM
No I am still just lazy.
And now my stamina is 50 and counting I will hit every building in your hood regardless of what it is being hidden by.

Brent
11-29-2011, 05:43 PM
I know, it's stupid. What's the point, waste of money on trees

Ram
11-29-2011, 05:50 PM
It's ****ing ugly

G Wiz
11-29-2011, 07:21 PM
I use pine trees because personally i hate how low numbers look, ill remove them later lol

Syn
11-29-2011, 07:53 PM
I started putting trees up when I read that some people don't actually look at a player's profile before attacking/robbing them. That amazed me! So yes, I cover all of my buildings. Especially my defense buildings, because if they can't take the time to look at my profile, then shame on them.

Of course I do understand that not everyone has the same time or patience to look at every single profile before they take action. I'm not degrading anyone that attacks blindly. I just like to take my time picking the perfect hits. :D