PDA

View Full Version : How Important is the Defense Stat vs. Defense from Buildings/Items? (+ 2 questions)

Amor
11-01-2011, 01:33 PM
I have 1457 defense and still lose many fights to a particular goober with roughly 550 attack. I do not see how this is possible. Is attack factored in the fight, even for the defensive player? If so, I should still be dominating him, my attack is nearly twice what his is.

Furthermore, I would like to pose the question of how would you rank my stats?

Level: 49
Mafia Members: 20
Attack: 832
Defense: 1457

I keep low mafia members because getting more seems to have minimal benefits, it simply requires to have an elite item to fill the slot of every mafia member or suffer a disadvantage. Is there some advantage of
having more mafia members that I am not seeing?

K@le
11-01-2011, 01:51 PM
what level are you ?

Amor
11-01-2011, 02:00 PM
Sorry, I guess that is kind of important. I am level 49.

Joeycool
11-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Yeah the problem is that your full defence of 1457 doesn't count in fights. Only in robberies.

In fights its only the items that you have. Defence buildings do not help you in fights.

Popeye The Sailor Man
11-01-2011, 03:36 PM
That's really week for your level you need to get more mafia and respect bet you can't attack many people your level either

Barracuda
11-01-2011, 04:06 PM
For level 49 you are terribly low my man! I'm level 40, attack 2498, defense 3449 without buying gold/cash.

You've kind of screwed yourself in a way because you've gone up in levels too quickly without improving your stats. Now you are limited in who you can attack.

I recommend you try to stall leveling up altogether. Concentrate on developing your businesses and whatever cash you get, use it to buy better items for your mafia. You WILL benefit from increasing your mafia members. You will increase the number of peeps who can carry your items, you probably have lots of good items not being held by anybody. Increase your mafia and watch your att/def increase!

If you have respect points, use them to buy the lower cost items, like combat boots and Tommy Guns.

Your first step will be increasing your mafia, see where you att/def stats are after that. You can have 245 mafia at your level! You may not have equipment for those and there are people here who believe it better to hold a low mafia equipping them with only the best items, I don't see that as a good long term strategy - get your max mafia and hook them up with whatever the hell ye can!

Crime City Mark
11-01-2011, 04:25 PM
Yeah the problem is that your full defence of 1457 doesn't count in fights. Only in robberies.

In fights its only the items that you have. Defence buildings do not help you in fights.

That is incorrect. Your full item defense and building defense help you in fights. When you're robbed, a portion of your item defense is removed.

Duke.0
11-01-2011, 04:28 PM
@Barracuda - How many mafia members do you have?

My take,
Max mafia is over rated if you can't equip it with good items. Max is your level x 5. The max mafia used in battle is 500.

If you get 245 mafia (as barracuda proposes) you need to be able to support that many with items.
245 Guns
245 Melee weapons
245 Explosives
245 Cars
245 Armor
Do you have that much gear?

Take your mafia attack and divide it by the number of members. This will tell you how strong each individual mafia member is. Qwikster proposed that "i try and aim for 30 attack per member" which i found to be a good number to shoot for. There is no real basis for this number, but just trial and error. From my calculations, the average person playing the game has between 9 and 17 mafia attack per member.

If we take yours, 832/20 = 41.6!
That is a good strength for your mafia!
If you ask me i wouldn't add more members unless you had to. Many goals in the game add henchmen +1 to your mafia so you will eventually add some without really trying. If you feel the need, you could add some, however i would not drop below 30 atk per member. So....add one (check calculation) and repeat that.

The GOOBER who is beating you = i found that the only people who rob me / beat me in fights is those that use several/a lot of gold items. So check out the goober's inventory, are they using gold items?

Mb Tnk
11-01-2011, 06:07 PM
That is incorrect. Your full item defense and building defense help you in fights. When you're robbed, a portion of your item defense is removed.

Can you tell us if the FULL building defense is used during a PvP battle or just a "calcualted portion"?

I don't care what the portion is, just if it is FULL or partial.

Thanks

khung003
11-01-2011, 06:15 PM
I intend to reply joeycool that incorrect, and scroll down to see Mark wrote that ... I never see Mark give more detail on that, you must find out yourself and tell people what you find out...
(however at that time you will face another problem, no one trust what you told them ;) )

Joeycool
11-01-2011, 06:50 PM

Just when you think you understand... you are told you are wrong! Damn!!

whocareswhatmynameis
11-01-2011, 06:59 PM

man, that's how $$$$$ is made... vague game rules, inadequate manual, confusion to go all around!

whocareswhatmynameis
11-01-2011, 07:00 PM

man, that's how $$$$$ is made... vague game rules, inadequate manuals, and confusion to go around!

Joeycool
11-01-2011, 07:03 PM
man, that's how $$$$$ is made... vague game rules, inadequate manual, confusion to go all around!

Tru dat! ;)

Barracuda
11-01-2011, 09:23 PM
I like your way of looking at it Duke. For the sake of argument I have max mafia, @ Lvl 40, so 200 mafia. My average attack/mafia member would be 12.49, well below your loose recommendation.

I'm concerned however that if I limited my no. of mafia I would not come up against others players with the same mafia and so be outgunned. Do we have confirmation, from Mark or otherwise, that if, for example I dropped to 100 mafia, I would only face players with a similar no. of members?

I've read people go with this strategy, but don't know if it's a safe assumption...

HUGH_MYRON
11-01-2011, 09:35 PM
I remember camping at level 1 and having 1000k attack. 1000kdef
I had about 1000k knives that had 1atk 1def

little did i know that the 1000k stat did not factor into a fight where i took only a certain amount of mafia members/weapons for my level.

HUGH_MYRON
11-01-2011, 09:37 PM
im trying to double my defense with defense buildings alone.
i will test to see if an attacker with attack of 50k will beat my defense buildings of 50k

whocareswhatmynameis
11-01-2011, 10:14 PM
I like your way of looking at it Duke. For the sake of argument I have max mafia, @ Lvl 40, so 200 mafia. My average attack/mafia member would be 12.49, well below your loose recommendation.

I'm concerned however that if I limited my no. of mafia I would not come up against others players with the same mafia and so be outgunned. Do we have confirmation, from Mark or otherwise, that if, for example I dropped to 100 mafia, I would only face players with a similar no. of members?

I've read people go with this strategy, but don't know if it's a safe assumption...

i'm living proof of a thriving, downsized mafia. you can check my stats (see below). i've been an early proponent of this strategy. for my mafia size (currently 71), i encounter players with 60-90 range, mostly 70s and 80s. i win most of my fights/robberies. other players are seldom successful in their attack/robbery attempts. only gold users have higher stats.

Barracuda
11-02-2011, 08:16 AM
Nice one whocareswhatmynameis. I think I'll stop adding mafia for a while then and try to improve my average attack.

Amor
11-02-2011, 12:08 PM
@Barracuda - How many mafia members do you have?

My take,
Max mafia is over rated if you can't equip it with good items. Max is your level x 5. The max mafia used in battle is 500.

If you get 245 mafia (as barracuda proposes) you need to be able to support that many with items.
245 Guns
245 Melee weapons
245 Explosives
245 Cars
245 Armor
Do you have that much gear?

Take your mafia attack and divide it by the number of members. This will tell you how strong each individual mafia member is. Qwikster proposed that "i try and aim for 30 attack per member" which i found to be a good number to shoot for. There is no real basis for this number, but just trial and error. From my calculations, the average person playing the game has between 9 and 17 mafia attack per member.

If we take yours, 832/20 = 41.6!
That is a good strength for your mafia!
If you ask me i wouldn't add more members unless you had to. Many goals in the game add henchmen +1 to your mafia so you will eventually add some without really trying. If you feel the need, you could add some, however i would not drop below 30 atk per member. So....add one (check calculation) and repeat that.

The GOOBER who is beating you = i found that the only people who rob me / beat me in fights is those that use several/a lot of gold items. So check out the goober's inventory, are they using gold items?

Thank you all very much for your input, it was all very helpful. This particular comment was what I was looking for: a solid reason why or why not my stats were good/bad. I had never heard of the 30 attack rule, very interesting. But why am I still losing so many fights defensively? I guess I will go ahead and
lay out a few more stats....my attack/defense stats are as follows:

95 Attack
1 Defense

Does the defense stat provide a multiplier for other defense provided by buildings and items?

eXc Drake
11-02-2011, 12:47 PM

Hey Mark, I'm a bit confused here.

I just went to a random hood and the player's defense under their profile was 2924. On the fight screen after attacking them, their defense was 2791. On the fight screen after robbing, their defense was 2832. Care to clarify?

Joeycool
11-02-2011, 06:00 PM
Hey Mark, I'm a bit confused here.

I just went to a random hood and the player's defense under their profile was 2924. On the fight screen after attacking them, their defense was 2791. On the fight screen after robbing, their defense was 2832. Care to clarify?

I asked Mark a similar question... apparently it is because they would have used some consumables.

Crime City Mark
11-02-2011, 06:10 PM
Did you attack them or rob them? With the addition of explosives you are going to see a lot of stat fluctuation.

eXc Drake
11-02-2011, 10:34 PM
I'd like to do both to him ^

Attacked and robbed. Consumables used makes sense, explains why both would be lower than base stat. Thanks!

eXc Drake
11-04-2011, 07:05 AM
Did you attack them or rob them? With the addition of explosives you are going to see a lot of stat fluctuation.

Still not adding up. Went to a hood and checked guy's defense under profile: 3083. Verified he had nothing under his explosives tab in equipment. Attacked and in fight results his defense was only 2771.

Tujik
11-04-2011, 09:27 AM
673 528 481 , add me. I have about 1400 attk 2100 defense level37 with 6000income. 191 mob. Nd I have good defense buildings nd defense but I'm still getting robbed. I'm trying to keep nd just upgrade my hood. My next expansion is already 150k , lemme know what I should do. I had about 56 pending inv but accepted them ob accident I think that really hurt me