PDA

View Full Version : Defense Buildings - Whats the best? What do you think?

Duke.0
10-30-2011, 10:18 AM
I have seen the wiki and its not complete and not helpful.

I'm level 49 (almost 50)

I want to know:

1. what defense buildings that i should focus my money on to improve my hood/mafia defense?

2. Are abandoned buildings a waste of time / money / space? Their level 10 output was only 110 i think.

3. Guard Towers, i see people with 10,20,30 of these in their hood. Good/Bad?

4. Gatling Guns, i hear/read about these being the best defense item in the game due to their small space requirement and high output. However, they cost $54,000 for 25 defense. Are these really what they are cracked up to be?

5. Safehouse - Don't bother?

Your thoughts, what is the best defense structure? Consider Money, Time, Space, Defense it gives....

BigCheese
10-30-2011, 10:23 AM
hey duke.. free bump :)

Ram
10-30-2011, 10:46 AM
I think the best ones are the safe house and the gatling gun.

Duke.0
10-30-2011, 10:47 AM
I think the best ones are the safe house and the gatling gun.
What about those makes you think they are the best?

Ram
10-30-2011, 10:52 AM
What about those makes you think they are the best?

Don't take alot of place and the prices are good...

Duke.0
10-30-2011, 11:24 AM
Don't take alot of place and the prices are good...

What level / defense are you at with the safehouse and the gatling gun?

TemplarX
10-31-2011, 05:10 AM
I find defense buildings really pointless. After I rebooted my character and restarted, I did away with defense buildings altogether, building only a watch tower and an abandoned building as part of the earliest missions. That's it! I focus on getting good weapons for my small gang of mafias, and at every level my att-def stats are at the top 5% (mostly gold payers higher). I hardly ever lost an attack and even robberies are limited. For my higher level character, I stopped building defense and upgrading them...and I feel like I am missing anything.

In fact, when I look for rival targets, I choose those with big disparity between attack and defense, cos these is indication of their true weapons quality. What I find empirically is that defense buildings give players a false sense of security with an over-inflated high defense score.

khung003
10-31-2011, 06:02 AM
they're useless because you don't know how to make them useful.

Duke.0
10-31-2011, 06:44 AM

Thanks for being so insightful, but what is your answer to the question?

What is the best defense structures in your opinion?

TemplarX
10-31-2011, 08:07 AM
Yeah I really do not know how to make defense buildings useful. In all my attacks and robberies, I have yet to see any correlation between high defense points and effectiveness against my attacks. It's a mystery what formula they use. The most reliable factor is still great weapons, in my opinion.

redlabel
10-31-2011, 08:51 AM
Hi Khung,

dont let us die before we know the answer how to make defense buildings useful!

khung003
10-31-2011, 09:20 AM
Most of the time I can't explain much to you guys because of 2 things:
- You don't trust me.
- It's something you never experienced, because the time you play is too short to experience that.
Blame me if you want.

I will tell you the direction, explore it yourselves to know I'm right or wrong.
Although I don't like suspected cheaters much, but the way they play somehow mature than most people in this game.
(don't express my words as cheat is right, I repeat cheat is wrong, I only mean the way they play)
Look at them and learn how effectively they use defense buildings. That the only way you could play with multiple value & expensive buildings. if you don't do so, you can only play with cheap buildings.

G Wiz
10-31-2011, 12:09 PM
How do u effectively use a defense building? Either u upgrade it or not, but he wants to know the best ones. Id say go for an armory if u wanna spend some gold or the defense towers

Duke.0
10-31-2011, 12:26 PM
@G Wiz
Thanks a bunch!

How about buildings without gold? I'm level 51 so i don't see the defense tower (unless you mean guard tower from early game?)

khung003
10-31-2011, 03:37 PM
Let say something u familiar with :D

Imagine, both of you sell chewing gums, the gums business give you a few bucks to a hundred bucks/day. And you protect your gums business with a pocket knife.

When someone rob you with the same pocket knife, you fight back, when someone visit you with a gun, you can just tell him, take all if you want, don't hurt me. gums is cheap, the loss costs several bucks, just nothing to you.

And finally you guys easily come to a false conclusion (that will be easily agreed by other gum owners) is all defense weapons (that pocket knife) are useless.
Just give the robber your gums, it even better than fighting back, you won't get hurt just because of several bucks, is it right ?

One day, one guy come and tell you it's not what you think, buy a minigun, your enemies will stay away from you for miles. However you can' afford it, and it look stupid to protect chewing gums business with a minigun. Yeah you're still right with your current business, try build a bank, you will see how a minigun is different from a pocket knife.

jlhy
10-31-2011, 04:38 PM
The smaller the space the defense building takes up the better in my opinion. Using smaller defense towers will leave you with more room for your money buildings.

The gatling turrets are good because they can fill the small empty spaces between buidings helping to maximize your hood space usage (unless you like filling those spaces with decorations). A small downside with the gatling turret is it has about a 7 hour construction time if I remember correctly.

Guard towers are decent defense buildings to use because they take up little space. Early upgrades are relatively cheap. At level 7 (tycoon) they give 103 defense.

At your level Muay Thai Centers are also pretty decent as well. At level 4 they give 109 defense.

Duke.0
10-31-2011, 05:46 PM
@jihy thanks!

I was doing some math and seeing how much it costs for certain defense buildings and what defense they provide.

How much does 100 defense cost?
Guard Tower = $63,088 for 103 Defense (level 7)
Safe House = $220,000+ for 107 Defense (level 6)
Abandoned Building= $70,000+ for 122 Defense (level 9)
Muai Thai = $160,000+ for 109 Defense (level 4)
Guard Dog Center = $280,000+ for 122 defense (level 4)

Based on price, and square footage, i would say the Guard Tower is the best bet for an extra 100 defense. Other buildings are just too much cost i think for what they provide. I'm sure that at higher levels the Guard Dog center will have more overall defense then the Guard Tower, but the cost is insane.

So...After some research
#1 = Guard Tower (100 defense costs $63,000) Probably the best bet after the research. Smaller area, less expensive and can get over 100 defense at a cost of just $63,000.

#2 = Gatling Gun, most defense on the smallest area. Level 1 = 28 defense. Downside, it costs a lot (54,000) and takes 7 hours to level up when first building it. I would use these for filler in spaces that nothing else can go. Maybe keep these at level 1, seeing how level 2 costs 90k.

NOTE: does the missile turret take up the same space as the galing gun? I dont know yet i'm not that level. Anybody know?

#3 - Abandoned Building = 122 defense for 70,000 (level 9), takes up a weird amount of room (not square) and takes up the most out of the top three.

whocareswhatmynameis
10-31-2011, 06:03 PM
@duke: thanks for the detailed analysis.

i'm actually in the process of replacing my abandoned buildings with gatling gun. with the extra space, i plan to build some income property.

(check your inbox ;))

Duke.0
10-31-2011, 06:45 PM
So far my one and only Gatling Gun (Tycoon) is 28 defense at level 1, $54,000

Its expensive for additional levels.

I'm not sure about a few things yet.

Like....4 Gatling guns take up as much room as a guard tower (right?)...when you put them in a square.

I would say a Gatling gun would be best used as a filler for the spots that can't fit a building. Unless the Missile Turret has more defense then the Gatling Gun and takes up the same amount of room. But that i don't know, i'm not that high a level yet.

If you have a lot of income (Money) i would assume that the Gatling Gun would provide the best space/defense ratio since you can put them just about any spot in your hood.

Like if you look at my hood, in front of my Movie theater, i have 4 Guns. I had extra space.
Eventually i'll replace those with gatling guns, the normal machine guns are like 8 defense.

There appear to be a lot of buildings which are just not worth the money for the defense they provide.

PLEASE PLEASE do not quote me on the defense buildings, i'm not an expert on this and i'm just assuming stuff and guessing. I do NOT know whats best / awesome in the game, i'm not even level 100 yet, so i don't have access to all the buildings.

Chukuli
10-31-2011, 07:10 PM
when i started the game, i have 2 abandoned buildings and 16 guard towers.
Abandoned building at lvl 10 which gives 165 def total. IMO safehouse can be ignored, instead Lvl up higher and go for sniper den.
An upgraded lvl 3 sniper den can fetch you 105+ def. It only take a few building hours to reach lvl 3 and it uses the same square tile as a safehouse. As for machine gun turrets, try not to build alot. in the future you will be replacing them with gatling guns.

Come to my hood and see for yourself, perhaps it might give you some ideas.
463 654 645
P.S. One of the goal quest require you to upgrade your gun turret to lvl 9.

whocareswhatmynameis
10-31-2011, 07:14 PM
P.S. One of the goal quest require you to upgrade your gun turret to lvl 9.

that's never going to happen in my hood... i only have one gun turret lvl 1, planning to sell it shortly. i don't understand why some of the quests are ridiculous like buying 8 assault rifles or other missions that requires spending gazillion dollars or waste time upgrading buildings. the reward is not worth it!

Duke.0
10-31-2011, 07:17 PM
Yeah i dont go for that either, the buy 8 assult rifles thing....i bought 2 and then realized how stupid it was. and i never finished it, and don't plan on it.

Qwikster, check your PM box in a minute i got a question about your spreadsheet.

Chukuli
10-31-2011, 07:25 PM
that's never going to happen in my hood... i only have one gun turret lvl 1, planning to sell it shortly. i don't understand why some of the quests are ridiculous like buying 8 assault rifles or other missions that requires spending gazillion dollars or waste time upgrading buildings. the reward is not worth it!

Yes I remember that quest, 8 assault rifles total cost is $288,000. After completed the goal, you will recieved a bloody AK47.

TemplarX
10-31-2011, 09:19 PM
Hahaha, the Assault Rifle quest was not so bad... its affordable enough for an average class weapon. Wait till the mission tells you to buy 7 Machete so you can chop off your enemies head! Each machete cost $110,000 for only 8-7 att-def. And u have to buy 7 of them to be a headhunter....go to h*ll with the missions!

TemplarX
11-08-2011, 12:03 AM
Duke, I have a change of heart. Now I think that...

1) Most economic and inexpensive defense: Guard Tower and Abandoned Buildings
2) Muay Thai is better than Safehouse
3) Best footprint per defense: Gatling Turret, which is better than machine gun

Given the cost for expanding the hood, I think all in, Gatling Turret is the way to go for anyone to stay competitive in the game in the long run.

Max Power
11-08-2011, 04:34 AM
Keep in mind that defense buildings that seem like the best value at lower levels will disappoint you with their overall defense for space allotted once your economy is up and humming. Abandoned houses take up a lot of room for weak defense. You may regret them later.

My fave is the bodyguard agency, but that is a gold item.

Duke.0
11-08-2011, 09:10 AM
Duke, I have a change of heart. Now I think that...

1) Most economic and inexpensive defense: Guard Tower and Abandoned Buildings
2) Muay Thai is better than Safehouse
3) Best footprint per defense: Gatling Turret, which is better than machine gun

Given the cost for expanding the hood, I think all in, Gatling Turret is the way to go for anyone to stay competitive in the game in the long run.

Templar X had a good point too. The cost for expansion is high, so the defense buildings (safe house, sniper den etc.) may not be worth it.

I have been thinking about selling some or all of my guard towers even, to free up some space for more buildings. Replace them with Gatling guns which take up 2x2. The guard towers take up an odd 3x3 it seems. I'm not sold on selling them yet but its crossed my mind.

I have 8 guard towers total of about 250 defense.
My 7 Gatling guns total 196 at level 1 each.

Even if the upfront cost is 54,000 its worth it to me because the space it takes up is small and easy to arrange on your hood.

Sell the guard towers? What do you think?