PDA

View Full Version : The Banning of the Confederate Flag (or whatever that flag is called)

TMI
07-24-2015, 09:41 PM
Yeah or Neah?

TMI
07-24-2015, 09:44 PM
votes are not public, and you can vote multiple categories

Dipstik
07-25-2015, 05:34 AM
Silly question. Are we pretending the first amendment doesn't exist?

John_Locke
07-25-2015, 08:46 AM
The swastika isn't banned, and no, I don't think the confederate flag is worse than Hitler.

However, Hitler did do a lot more good for his county (the economy, people) than the considerably did for theirs.

Vile Lynn
07-25-2015, 09:32 AM

The first amendment doesn't exist on GREE's private forum, remember?

Dipstik
07-25-2015, 01:53 PM
That wasn't the question.

Vile Lynn
07-25-2015, 02:05 PM
heh, I wasn't exactly answering your question with a question.

Brendan
07-25-2015, 02:23 PM
This is so dumb. The swastika is an ancient symbol, Hindu or Sikh I believe. It was appropriated by the Nazis as their symbol. Since then fascist right wing groups all over the world have adopted it, even in Russia ironically.

The Confederate flag should have been buried when they lost the war. Since then it's been used by the KKK and other extremist groups. How do you think it makes black people feel, seeing that rag? Regardless of its past it's now used as a symbol of while supremacy, both overtly and covertly, according to the people flying it.

It's racist, deal with it and bury the stupid thing.

Brendan
07-25-2015, 02:24 PM

Free speech isn't about allowing people to be outright racists.

Vile Lynn
07-25-2015, 02:52 PM
I'm no constitution expert, but I believe one has the right to be a racist as long as no laws are broken while being a racist.

Dipstik
07-25-2015, 03:41 PM
You'd be correct, violin. We don't have thought crimes in the us yet.

Brendan
07-25-2015, 04:25 PM
You'd be correct, violin. We don't have thought crimes in the us yet.

There's a difference to having racist thoughts and expressing them through your words and actions. That's not about having 'thought police' in the USA, just plain common sense. I wouldn't expect a pony to understand that though.

Dipstik
07-25-2015, 05:28 PM
So you're entitled to think what you like as long as you never say it? Just out of curiosity, do you even recognize how fascist that sounds? I'm not sure if it's worse if you knew what you were saying or not. Either way, if rather have a hundred peaceful racists running around than one of you. You're a terrible person.

Brendan
07-26-2015, 02:00 AM
So you're entitled to think what you like as long as you never say it? Just out of curiosity, do you even recognize how fascist that sounds? I'm not sure if it's worse if you knew what you were saying or not. Either way, if rather have a hundred peaceful racists running around than one of you. You're a terrible person.

A racist would have two candidates turn up for a job interview, one white, one black. Equal qualifications and experience. Guess who gets the job?

Unless you're a black person who faces harassment on a daily basis by the cops and racism from people like you, then you shouldn't comment on the subject.

Someone who has racist thoughts should seek help. Failing that they should keep their nasty views to themselves and not act upon them. You are the terrible person.

Bad Fish
07-26-2015, 07:50 AM
That's just turrible. turrible turrible turrible!

Dipstik
07-26-2015, 07:57 AM
Job discrimination is illegal. You're talking about making it equally illegal to merely express an opinion. Now you're telling me I'm not even allowed to disagree with you. Keep it up... I'd rather you make this crap public so everyone can see it.

Brendan
07-26-2015, 10:41 AM
Job discrimination is illegal. You're talking about making it equally illegal to merely express an opinion. Now you're telling me I'm not even allowed to disagree with you. Keep it up... I'd rather you make this crap public so everyone can see it.

Being racist isn't an opinion. Stop crying because someone has a more intelligent argument than you.

Dipstik
07-26-2015, 10:54 AM
Being racist isn't an opinion. Stop crying because someone has a more intelligent argument than you.

Quoted for posterity.

Red BD
07-26-2015, 02:23 PM

Uh, then what exactly is it? BTW, under your hypothetical, one could argue the employer would be "racist" regardless of which applicant was hired.

Red BD
07-26-2015, 02:33 PM
We don't have thought crimes in the us yet.

I'm not sure some wouldn't disagree with that last statement given the existence of "hate crimes", which do admittedly require an act which I assume (but am sort of scared to find out for sure) is an already illicit act. Scary times.

Dipstik
07-26-2015, 05:19 PM
COMPLETELY unrelated to the content of this thread, I have new hood art :)

Vile Lynn
07-26-2015, 06:16 PM
We're not friends; I can't see it.

Dipstik
07-26-2015, 06:22 PM
Pm me in kakao and I'll ss it

Vile Lynn
07-26-2015, 06:41 PM
heh, I only use Line now

Dipstik
07-26-2015, 07:02 PM
Done. Extras.

Vile Lynn
07-26-2015, 07:15 PM
Ha! How'd I know? ;)

John_Locke
07-26-2015, 09:12 PM

I hope to God you're trolling. Boo one could possibly be this stupid.

MK Loves You
07-27-2015, 02:03 PM
I'm black.

And I support the Confederate flag.

#walkingcontradiction

Vile Lynn
07-27-2015, 02:08 PM
Where did you go?

MK Loves You
07-27-2015, 04:36 PM
What do you mean?

Vile Lynn
07-27-2015, 04:53 PM
lol, I thought you posted, "I'm back." Ooopsie.

Now that I can read, why do you support that flag?

Dipstik
07-27-2015, 06:25 PM
Cause he's a rebel, yo.

MK Loves You
07-28-2015, 01:50 PM
Why do I support the Confederate flag?

Because...

America

MK Loves You
07-28-2015, 02:30 PM
If you want to hear about my views on racism, there's a video on youtube called "MK loves racism". You can totally check that out if you want, or not I really don't care.

Vile Lynn
07-28-2015, 05:12 PM
If you want to hear about my views on racism, there's a video on youtube called "MK loves racism". You can totally check that out if you want, or not I really don't care.

Sucks to be me... I still use my 1sy gen iPad and cannot view youtubes on it anymore.

I'd totally check it out if I could.

MK Loves You
07-28-2015, 06:42 PM
I believe I've told you before....android is the way to go. :)

TMI
07-28-2015, 07:07 PM
Interesting poll

From the perspective of banning it from public property, I don't really care either way too much. If the government (the entity that claims a monopoly on the initiation of violence within a given geographical region) wants to ban it on THEIR property, I couldn't care less. Perhaps if I had to tweeze it out, I'd say if it would cost the tax-cows more to ban it, then I guess I wouldn't want it banned on their (government) property. But like I said before, I don't care too much what that violent organization does with their own property.

As far as private property is concerned, I cannot possibly see how that can be justified, assuming that humans should be free from oppression. To have the government tell me what flag I can fly on my own property seems like that's against the first amendment (not like that isn't being violated already by other acts of the federal government). I would go so far as to say that I should be able to fly the ISIS flag on my private property if I chose to. Remember, the first amendment isn't for freedom to talk about the weather.

Also, if we wanted to be morally consistent, IF the reason for wanting to ban it from public or private property is because many murders have been committed under that flag, THEN you should want the federal government flag (stars and stripes) banned from public and private property, because many many more murders have been committed under that flag. FYI.
Of course, if you don't want to be morally consistent, and just act on emotions, then I guess wanting the confederate flag banned and not the federal flag banned, would make sense.

Edit: Thoughts? Clarification on my points? I'd love to hear from those who disagree (want them banned, at least on private property)

Dipstik
07-28-2015, 07:28 PM
I'm slightly impressed by your definition of government. Too many people don't seem to get that.

Max Power
07-29-2015, 06:37 AM
As far as private property is concerned, I cannot possibly see how that can be justified, assuming that humans should be free from oppression. To have the government tell me what flag I can fly on my own property seems like that's against the first amendment (not like that isn't being violated already by other acts of the federal government). I would go so far as to say that I should be able to fly the ISIS flag on my private property if I chose to. Remember, the first amendment isn't for freedom to talk about the weather.

My only thought is that I have not seen anyone (to be taken seriously) that this flag, or any flag for that matter, would be banned on private property. I have seen no legislation suggesting that.

What I have seen is SC react and decide that they don't want their government buildings to fly it, probably for a number of reasons. One may be whatever connection to slavery that flag may represent to some people, but possibly also that the flag represents secession, and we are pretty unified these days. Anyway, given how fast SC passed legislation, and by what margin they did, the church shootings were apparently merely a catalyst for what many people in SC have been thinking for some time.

I am not a fan of some suggestions that statues and monuments get removed that are of rebel generals, etc. You can't whitewash history, and while it is debatable that these monuments "celebrate" rebel pride, they do represent history, and they are not easily replaced. I hope everybody just calms down a little over this.

crime cow
07-31-2015, 08:27 AM
Okay TMI, I checked out this thread based on your suggestion. I voted to ban on public property. I see no reason for any flag that is not the US flag or a state flag to fly on public property (unless it's a public monument dedicated to a confederate battle or a like instance). Should Texas fly the flag of Mexico above their capitol building since that is a part of their heritage? If Wal-Mart, Amazon or another retailer wants to stop selling flags, that's their prerogative. They need to base this decision based on how it reflects upon their Mission Statement, their customers and their bottom line. However, I think they've gone too far when banning CD's that may have an image of the flag, as I'm sure they are still selling many other CD's that have racist images and/or lyrics. This is a slippery slope to go down.

Evan1000
08-01-2015, 03:03 PM
Here's my view on the whole thing.. who cares?

It's a flag. Of course it should be banned from public property, but who cares if someone owns a confederate flag? It's cool looking. My uncle has a Nazi knife which is pretty cool. There's nothing wrong with owning a flag.

But flying it in front of your house.. private property or not.. is messed up and you all know why. Not because of slavery. Whoever said the flag symbolizes slavery and state rights is wrong. Of course those were the reasons that drove the formation of the confederacy, but that's not what it symbolizes.

It symbolizes the darkest time in an American history where almost half of our country wanted to leave and led to the heaviest loss of American lives in any war in American history.

That's what your reminding everyone of when you fly that flag. Not southern pride or state rights or even slaves. And that's why it should be banned.

Well, you could say it symbolizes southern pride if you want, but if you're proud of the American civil war.. wow

Red BD
08-01-2015, 05:06 PM

But flying it in front of your house.. private property or not.. is messed up and you all know why. Not because of slavery. Whoever said the flag symbolizes slavery and state rights is wrong. Of course those were the reasons that drove the formation of the confederacy, but that's not what it symbolizes.

It symbolizes the darkest time in an American history where almost half of our country wanted to leave and led to the heaviest loss of American lives in any war in American history.

That's what your reminding everyone of when you fly that flag. Not southern pride or state rights or even slaves. And that's why it should be banned.

Well, you could say it symbolizes southern pride if you want, but if you're proud of the American civil war.. wow

You said a mouthful there, Evan, even as edited.

"...half of our country wanted to leave...." That's powerful. Splitsville.

And that urge was suppressed by violently suppressing those who had a different conception of what America was about - and I don't mean slavery's oppression- That was what made the Civil War.

["if the Union could be saved without banning slavery...blah blah blah"/"perhaps we could just send all the blacks to Mexico" and other non-verbatims by Honest Abe]

Evan, you seem to be a student of history... looking at the events of, say, 1874 to 1890 (absent Reconstruction of course, since it would have not happened) consider the actual likelihood that The USA would not have reunited, absent slavery (and Jim Crow?) and we would have had a fairer and better Union today if only the Confederacy been allowed to peacefully depart the Union.

That's all they ever wanted.

Imagine......

sister morphine
08-01-2015, 11:43 PM
You said a mouthful there, Evan, even as edited.

"...half of our country wanted to leave...." That's powerful. Splitsville.

And that urge was suppressed by violently suppressing those who had a different conception of what America was about - and I don't mean slavery's oppression- That was what made the Civil War.

["if the Union could be saved without banning slavery...blah blah blah"/"perhaps we could just send all the blacks to Mexico" and other non-verbatims by Honest Abe]

Evan, you seem to be a student of history... looking at the events of, say, 1874 to 1890 (absent Reconstruction of course, since it would have not happened) consider the actual likelihood that The USA would not have reunited, absent slavery (and Jim Crow?) and we would have had a fairer and better Union today if only the Confederacy been allowed to peacefully depart the Union.

That's all they ever wanted.

Imagine......
Speaking as an outsider, would it be fair to say Jim Crow is a more poisonous legacy even than slavery? To be enslaved is a terrible thing, but to be supposedly free yet brutalised for a century after emancipation by the institutions of your own country (as well as by the KKK) must be worse.

As for the flag, it was the battle flag of Lee's Army of Northern Virginia, and not the official flag of the Confederacy. To those who served in that army it represented their pride in their service, regardless of the poor cause they fought for. To southerners since then it should represent the same thing, but because of its appropriation by the KKK and other racist groups the flag is now a tainted object. We get the same stuff trotted out here by people who claim the English flag (the cross of St. George, not the Union flag) is a racist symbol because some "far right" groups have used it.

If you want the confederate flag to survive as a symbol of southern pride, then you need to fight to reclaim it from those who twist it for their own purposes, not meekly bury it.

MK Loves You
08-02-2015, 12:55 AM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2015/06/24/i-am-a-black-south-carolinian-heres-why-i-support-the-confederate-flag/

MK Loves You
08-02-2015, 01:24 AM
This is the last thing I'm going to say about this idiotic debate. A flag (or any sort of symbol) doesn't have one standard meaning. A flag is a symbol and with any symbol it can represent whatever one single person wants it to represent. Southern pride doesn't mean that we support slavery! It means we love the South with it's traditions, food, accents, slang, and/or way of life etc. The argument that the KKK tainted it because they commited racist acts under it is invalid because they flew the American flag way more than the Confederate flag (also Neo-Nazi groups used the Nazi flag not the Confederate hence the reason why they have the word "nazi" in the name). The KKK believed in a "pure America" (just whites) whatever racist acts they commited was to make a greater America in their eyes. They didn't kill, torture, kidnap just because they hated anyone who wasn't white, it was because they believed they were doing it to make their country better. I have seen more white people offended over what they believe is racist against blacks than black people. That makes absolutely zero sense to me. If you're white then why are you so iffended by it? It wasn't your ancestors who were enslaved. This whole debate is stupid and people need to just leave it alone. Crap like this just causes unnecessary tension between people. So I'm asking you to just let it go. A majority of people in the South don't fly it because they're racist or support slavery (I'm sure some do) they fly it for a million other reasons you will never care to understand because you're unable to look at this from the other point of view or you're stuck believing flawed logic you've been fed your whole life without taking time to do extensive research into the topic you're debating. Don't bother responding because this will probably be the last time I visit this thread.

TL;DR Dig your panties out of your ass and let it go....

TMI
08-02-2015, 05:14 AM

It's a flag. Of course it should be banned from public property, but who cares if someone owns a confederate flag? It's cool looking. My uncle has a Nazi knife which is pretty cool. There's nothing wrong with owning a flag.

Agreed, some ppl may find that messed up. But should it be banned from being flown on private property? Should it be banned for me to fly it on my front lawn?

Brendan
08-02-2015, 06:43 AM
Zzzzzzzzzz.

Who cares, boring subject, move on please.

TMI
08-02-2015, 06:49 AM
Nahhhhhhhhhhh

Evan1000
08-02-2015, 08:23 AM
Agreed, some ppl may find that messed up. But should it be banned from being flown on private property? Should it be banned for me to fly it on my front lawn?

You can do whatever you want on your own property. But I don't understand why people are actually fighting for the flag to not be banned. Why would someone care so much to fly a flag knowing the history it holds, and be proud of that?

Max Power
08-02-2015, 09:07 AM
Zzzzzzzzzz.

Who cares, boring subject, move on please.

Nobody is forcing you to participate. Perhaps you should move on and let people talk about what they want to talk about.

You can do whatever you want on your own property. But I don't understand why people are actually fighting for the flag to not be banned. Why would someone care so much to fly a flag knowing the history it holds, and be proud of that?

A huge element from what I am told by my friends and business colleagues in the south is that they do not want to be told what to do, especially by people who don't live in the south. Perhaps double especially by northern kids who were crapping their pants around the year 2000 telling them how it all works from public education school books, the same books that told you Columbus discovered the Americas.

When forming a strong opinion about something, especially when advocating policy, it is always a good idea to walk a mile in the other man's shoes.

sister morphine
08-02-2015, 10:41 AM
Yeah or Neah?
As a Brit, the argument over public property is outside my experience so no vote on it. But I voted should not be banned from private property. The day so-called authorities bust into somebody's home to confiscate a flag is the day you know freedom of thought has been outlawed.

TxTireMan
08-02-2015, 11:31 AM
A racist would have two candidates turn up for a job interview, one white, one black. Equal qualifications and experience. Guess who gets the job?

Unless you're a black person who faces harassment on a daily basis by the cops and racism from people like you, then you shouldn't comment on the subject.

Someone who has racist thoughts should seek help. Failing that they should keep their nasty views to themselves and not act upon them. You are the terrible person.

Are you a black person that faces daily harrasment?? If so, is it because you are black? How do you know? Maybe they don't like your clothes, hair, car, language or just your general aura ...??? Maybe your just an ass and you deserve it? (Not saying you are, but maybe it's not because of your skin color.....don't be so vein)

Evan1000
08-02-2015, 02:44 PM
A huge element from what I am told by my friends and business colleagues in the south is that they do not want to be told what to do, especially by people who don't live in the south. Perhaps double especially by northern kids who were crapping their pants around the year 2000 telling them how it all works from public education school books, the same books that told you Columbus discovered the Americas.

When forming a strong opinion about something, especially when advocating policy, it is always a good idea to walk a mile in the other man's shoes.

It's not from a public school textbook, but even if it was please tell me where I'm wrong in anything of what I said. My age and where I'm from has absolutely nothing to do with my opinion and whether or not I'm right. Please stop bringing my age into every discussion because you can't come up with a good enough argument to prove me wrong, other than by stating over and over again "he's a kid he doesn't know what he's talking about."

And to your actual argument about southern people don't want to be told what to do, that's completely fine and they're not alone. No one wants to be told what to do. People should be free to do what they please with the government just there for protection and to make sure no one goes over the line. But it's those people that go over the line (such as the people in the confederate flag rally in SC) that ruin it for everyone else.

Max Power
08-02-2015, 03:15 PM
It's not from a public school textbook, but even if it was please tell me where I'm wrong in anything of what I said. My age and where I'm from has absolutely nothing to do with my opinion and whether or not I'm right. Please stop bringing my age into every discussion because you can't come up with a good enough argument to prove me wrong, other than by stating over and over again "he's a kid he doesn't know what he's talking about."

And to your actual argument about southern people don't want to be told what to do, that's completely fine and they're not alone. No one wants to be told what to do. People should be free to do what they please with the government just there for protection and to make sure no one goes over the line. But it's those people that go over the line (such as the people in the confederate flag rally in SC) that ruin it for everyone else.

OK, I,will leave age out of it and assume you are a dumbass instead. Better? You were the one that always brought age up when it suited you, now no one is allowed to mention it? Maybe if you acted more you knew how the world worked age wouldnt come up at all.

You asked why anyone supported that flag, when it is your OPINION that nobody should. There have been plenty of reasons listed here, and elsewhere, and you either disagree or dismiss them. What the flag stands for you clearly doesnt apply to all. Its not your state, its not your flag, and while you are entitled to any opinion you want, that doesnt mean that a state should have to remove thier flag because YOU think they should.

And who defines what is over the line? You? The more you talk, the more I am thinking that SC should leave the flag up.

Evan1000
08-03-2015, 09:22 AM
I never said no one can mention my age, I said you can't use it as an argument. Learn to read, then call me a dumbass.

My question was rhetorical. And the meaning of the flag applies to every American. I told you what the flag stands for, it could mean something else to others but that's one of it's meanings and anytime someone raises that flag it will always mean that to someone, especially if they've had an ancestor fight in the civil war, northern or not.

Also, how do you know where I'm from? I could be from Texas for all you know.

Seriously the more you talk the more you sound like a douche. I'm just having fun but you seem to take all this personal. You've resorted to insults to try and prove your point. Kind of sad, really.

Dipstik
08-03-2015, 09:24 AM
Evan, stop giving out personal information. I'm telling you this for your own good. I could probably come pretty close to finding out everything about you based only one information you've blurted out on this forum.

TxTireMan
08-03-2015, 10:35 AM

Lmao this guy. Love it. Still watching others, hilarious

Max Power
08-03-2015, 04:07 PM
I never said no one can mention my age, I said you can't use it as an argument. Learn to read, then call me a dumbass.

My question was rhetorical. And the meaning of the flag applies to every American. I told you what the flag stands for, it could mean something else to others but that's one of it's meanings and anytime someone raises that flag it will always mean that to someone, especially if they've had an ancestor fight in the civil war, northern or not.

Also, how do you know where I'm from? I could be from Texas for all you know.

Seriously the more you talk the more you sound like a douche. I'm just having fun but you seem to take all this personal. You've resorted to insults to try and prove your point. Kind of sad, really.

LOL....newsflash, I can do whatever I want. Don't tell me what I can and can't use in an "argument".

And yes, I am a douche, I fully admit that, one that doesn't suffer fools gladly. I don't know, I just find you colossally precocious and annoying. Maybe it's the 57 screen shots proving prizes don't stack after a moderator told us exactly that months before. Maybe it's the incessant whining about wanting your tapjoy gold back. Maybe it's every time people called you out for something you used your age as a crutch to get out of it, then change your tune later.

Trust me, this is far from personal. I really couldn't give two dookies if you jump off a cliff tomorrow. Don't get me started on what's "kinda sad"....LOL!

namedud
08-03-2015, 05:07 PM
LOL....newsflash, I can do whatever I want. Don't tell me what I can and can't use in an "argument".

And yes, I am a douche, I fully admit that, one that doesn't suffer fools gladly. I don't know, I just find you colossally precocious and annoying. Maybe it's the 57 screen shots proving prizes don't stack after a moderator told us exactly that months before. Maybe it's the incessant whining about wanting your tapjoy gold back. Maybe it's every time people called you out for something you used your age as a crutch to get out of it, then change your tune later.

Trust me, this is far from personal. I really couldn't give two dookies if you jump off a cliff tomorrow. Don't get me started on what's "kinda sad"....LOL!

And you didn't even mention that "oh, it was sarcasm/rhetorical" thing that he does so well.

Evan1000
08-03-2015, 06:09 PM

That whole speech was kinda sad.

Complaining about someone complaining is worse than complaining, btw.

You sound like a kid with the "I don't care" and the "I can do what I want" attitude.

ploop
08-03-2015, 06:12 PM
I believe it shouldn't be banned at all.

It's just the butthurt liberals trying to appease the african american population.

ploop
08-03-2015, 06:15 PM
And then we've got Obama appeasing the middle east, and not lowering the flag for the 5 people killed in Chattanooga till 5 days after.

1 african american dies its instantly a national tragedy.

No offense to anyone intended.

sister morphine
08-04-2015, 03:55 AM
I believe it shouldn't be banned at all.

It's just the butthurt liberals trying to appease the african american population.
It's already been claimed here that more whites get "offended" by the flag than do African Americans. I've no evidence for that either way but if true then yes, it's the kind of "liberal" who sets out to be offended, either for themselves or on someone else's behalf (whether or not that other person is offended at all)

On the other hand, do you seriously not think the black population in America has good reason to feel aggrieved? After emancipation they were quite deliberately repressed for a century by Jim Crow laws (especially in the south). How would you feel if your forebears had been sneakily denied a vote, excluded from good education and the opportunities that spring from it, and you had to be on your guard 24/7 in case someone decided they were angry about something you did or said, so would come round in the middle of the night, drag you from your home and lynch you.

Now we have a spate of killings of unarmed black people by cops, or worse some rich clown playing at being a cop because he gave his local force a wad of greenbacks. Do police gun down as many unarmed whites? We don't hear about that over here if they do.

Max Power
08-04-2015, 06:59 AM
Now we have a spate of killings of unarmed black people by cops, or worse some rich clown playing at being a cop because he gave his local force a wad of greenbacks. Do police gun down as many unarmed whites? We don't hear about that over here if they do.

That's kind of a whole different kettle of fish. African Americans placing common criminals on a pedestal because they happened to get shot while engaging in criminal activity is a very slippery slope.

Dipstik
08-04-2015, 07:42 AM
You know Zimmerman was acquitted and the testimony by a disinterested witness was that the guy who got shot was straddling Zimmerman on the ground beating him, right?

Vile Lynn
08-04-2015, 03:26 PM
Trump will take the White House. All will finally be right in the world.

ploop
08-05-2015, 11:53 AM
Trump will take the White House. All will finally be right in the world.

I hope so.

ploop
08-05-2015, 11:57 AM
It's already been claimed here that more whites get "offended" by the flag than do African Americans. I've no evidence for that either way but if true then yes, it's the kind of "liberal" who sets out to be offended, either for themselves or on someone else's behalf (whether or not that other person is offended at all)

On the other hand, do you seriously not think the black population in America has good reason to feel aggrieved? After emancipation they were quite deliberately repressed for a century by Jim Crow laws (especially in the south). How would you feel if your forebears had been sneakily denied a vote, excluded from good education and the opportunities that spring from it, and you had to be on your guard 24/7 in case someone decided they were angry about something you did or said, so would come round in the middle of the night, drag you from your home and lynch you.

I agree, but is it really necessary to loot and riot? NO they're acting like the world owe's them a favor.

They get free cell phones, rent subsidy, food stamps, welfare, EBT, WIC, free school lunch, free healthcare, utility subsidy.

And they still complain.

You can't beat around the facts.

Dipstik
08-05-2015, 12:25 PM
Free public defenders...

Vile Lynn
08-06-2015, 06:47 AM
Free public defenders...

made me lol!

Never cared much before, but I'm looking forward to the GOP debate tonight! I love how Trump has them all by the balls.
I wish Perry had made the cut. He's always a good time, heh. I liked him as governor, but I wouldn't want him as the president. As if!

Dipstik
08-06-2015, 06:56 AM
I think you're eventually going to be disappointed by Trump. He's a great promoter, and he knows what people want to hear him say, but he's never actually thought about issues or formed a coherent political philosophy. There are a million quotes from him from as recent as last election saying directly the opposite of what he's saying now. You know he was in favor of amnesty in 2012?

Vile Lynn
08-06-2015, 07:41 AM
Oh I know what he's like so the issues are moot to me. I'm not a Trump supporter, I just like the dog & pony show. The GOP needs a good kick in the pants and I like watching that, too.

Dipstik
08-06-2015, 07:43 AM
You're not even from the US, are you?

Vile Lynn
08-06-2015, 08:07 AM
Me? Yes. California native living in Texas.

Dipstik
08-06-2015, 08:23 AM
I hope the last california native to leave turns the lights out.

Vile Lynn
08-06-2015, 08:29 AM
They'll be too thirsty or crispy or stoned to bother with the lights.

Red BD
08-06-2015, 12:36 PM
I agree, but is it really necessary to loot and riot? NO they're acting like the world owe's them a favor.

They get free cell phones, rent subsidy, food stamps, welfare, EBT, WIC, free school lunch, free healthcare, utility subsidy.
And they still complain.

On a better subject, I too am looking forward to the Fox News Comedy Special tonight.

You can't beat around the facts.

Not all black people loot or riot over issues. I would doubt it would be more than a fraction. Likewise not all black people get free cell phones, have their rent subsidized, get food stamps, welfare, etc. and I'm pretty sure that percentage that do are not extended such benefits because of their race.
Or by "they" did you mean "impoverished people"?

Dipstik
08-06-2015, 12:53 PM
i assumed he was talking about whoever was burning up various cities earlier this year.

TxTireMan
08-06-2015, 01:11 PM
Let's just say ignorant people

Evan1000
08-06-2015, 10:14 PM
I just thought of a question that would be interesting to this topic.

Why did the south leave in the first place and what do you think the civil war was fought over?

Now if your answer was "state rights".. don't believe everything you read in a textbook and check out this article:

http://m.livescience.com/18863-civil-war-myths.html

Red BD
08-07-2015, 12:30 AM

Why did the south leave in the first place and what do you think the civil war was fought over?

Now if your answer was "state rights".. don't believe everything you read in a textbook and check out this article:

Evan, I admire you. However if you are really trying to set up a worthy "debate" you shouldn't ask such a hugely broad question and then warn those you (obviously) disagree with that they better read some opinion piece before even trying to respond.

Do you know that many of the prominent people with PhDs in American History, specializing in African American History at places like Harvard, Berkeley, Princeton and Stanford who came out of the wild and crazy liberal 60s (and were often black) were of the opinion that slavery had little or nothing to do with the civil war? Theorie about the whys and wherefores of history go back and forth more than a shuttlecock.

They may have been wrong... After all, it's a matter of opinion. And frankly, I for one am tired of it. I am sure there are more respectable and intelligent places on line for you to pursue this rhetorical trip than in a phone game forum.... No offense. Just some advice. Peace.

TxTireMan
08-07-2015, 08:54 AM

Don't believe everything you read in textbooks....but this random article on the internet, thats ok to believe

Red BD
09-07-2015, 08:05 PM

sister morphine
09-07-2015, 11:18 PM

Even if you believe that article, it's quite evident that slavery was not a factor in why the North went to war. Quoting official papers from two Confederate states (including the one which was widely regarded as the most racist in the civil rights era - Mississippi) doesn't make it the exclusive reason why the South seceded either. The political class in those states were also the slave owning class; they're defending their own selfish interests by highlighting it.

LüK€¥
09-25-2015, 07:13 AM
What is this confederate flag? Why can they not use the Union Jack

Dipstik
09-25-2015, 12:52 PM
I feel like I know this lukey guy...

LüK€¥
09-26-2015, 01:43 AM
I most certainly know you DipStik. A friend of the notorious troll Grim Reaper Zc