PDA

View Full Version : This could either be really good, or really bad

Danger Mouse
07-21-2015, 04:38 PM
Highlights.

66% of the San Fran office terminated, including the entire QA team.

Reliable source says that Gree are likely moving away from active game development.

So, either QA will completely sink, never to be seen again, and let the glitch fest begin before they pull the plug entirely.

Or, the outsourced development and QA team might actually do a far better job. Let's face it, they couldn't do a worse one.

Interesting times.

From Gamasutra:

Update: This story originally cited a statement from Gree CEO Andrew Sheppard that the company laid off 30% of staff in its San Francisco studio this week. Gree representatives later contacted Gamasutra to issue a revised statement (used below) claiming that the company laid off 30% of staff at Gree International, the Western arm of Gree, which is headquartered in San Francisco.

Japanese mobile game company Gree has laid off a significant number of people working in its San Francisco office this week, months after shuttering its Vancouver studio entirely.

"Today we made the difficult decision to reduce the workforce of our Gree International Inc. business by 30 percent," Gree chief Andrew Sheppard said today in a statement issued to GamesBeat and Gamasutra. "This was done to better align operations with our development goals and business strategy. Several teams in San Francisco were impacted — we are working closely with each and every person to ensure the smoothest transition possible. Offices in other locations were not affected."

The company is struggling to compete in a crowded mobile games market, and has been reporting declining profits for some time.

As always, if you or someone you know was affected by these layoffs you can email Gamasutra to tell your story confidentially.

Update #2: A verified source involved in the layoffs tells Gamasutra that the entire QA department of Gree's San Francisco office, as well as a large number of engineers, artists and other development staff, lost their jobs this week.

The source estimates that the headcount in the San Francisco office was reduced by as much as 66 percent by the cuts, and went on to speculate that Gree International is moving away from active game development and focusing more on publishing by relocating some of its internal development to other Gree offices and outsourcing its QA efforts.

Tony81
07-21-2015, 04:59 PM
http://youtu.be/rynxqdNMry4

Pidgeot
07-21-2015, 05:06 PM
And all they had to do was listen to the players.

bam bam.
07-21-2015, 05:27 PM
And all they had to do was listen to the players.

Ha, word for word what I said to other members on other social media.

Just sell the game

It is coming to the end of its days

Jg48
07-21-2015, 05:37 PM
I'm bet it's about to end

Speed ump
07-21-2015, 05:45 PM
I see that story was edited to show the most negative aspects. No suprise considering those who posted it. Go back and read or post everything that was in that article to be fair. He also said that they would work to improve customer service and content for their best games( my words paraphrasing, so go read it for yourself) now, is modern war one of their better games? I have no idea, so either expect better service ( hmmm, not sure how when they cut the numbers by 30 percent, not two thirds as posted above, though that was refering to the whole western division based in San Frasisco, no idea what that means for us) I'd have to believe based in the move, that modern war, and any of the U.S. Based games originated by funzio, are not indeed their best performers, which leads me to think that their Japanese based games must be. Tick tick tick, the clock is counting, when it stops, who knows.

good gawd noooo
07-21-2015, 05:47 PM
now people are waking up.. but yet still some are clinging to the dream. I have to admit it last longer then I thought.. but like many I seen this coming a long time ago.. its been along road ... just plan on playing threw to the end

Danger Mouse
07-21-2015, 05:55 PM
I see that story was edited to show the most negative aspects. No suprise considering those who posted it. Go back and read or post everything that was in that article to be fair. He also said that they would work to improve customer service and content for their best games( my words paraphrasing, so go read it for yourself) now, is modern war one of their better games? I have no idea, so either expect better service ( hmmm, not sure how when they cut the numbers by 30 percent, not two thirds as posted above, though that was refering to the whole western division based in San Frasisco, no idea what that means for us) I'd have to believe based in the move, that modern war, and any of the U.S. Based games originated by funzio, are not indeed their best performers, which leads me to think that their Japanese based games must be. Tick tick tick, the clock is counting, when it stops, who knows.

Sorry speedie, but wrong. Posted verbatim word for word, no editing at all, from the gamasutra news article. Look it up. Google gree layoffs and it's right there exactly as I posted. Nice try chump.

Danger Mouse
07-21-2015, 05:59 PM

And here's the link so everyone can see just how full of BS our friend speedie here is:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/249099/Gree_International_lays_off_30_of_staff.php

Rebuttal speedie, or had enough facial egg for one day?

bam bam.
07-21-2015, 06:03 PM
Spend ump is in denial. He doesn't want to lose the game and us all being jelly of him all the time. 3 more cycles to go...possibly 4

Speed ump
07-21-2015, 06:07 PM
If you're going to use a source, make sure they've used the full context. I do not know how to load anything here, but look for the article on game beat, it shows more details of what was said, and updating the rumor of 2/3 of the staff being payed off. So sorry mouse, balls in your court

Speed ump
07-21-2015, 06:09 PM
Of course you guys are great at posting rumors ( mostly made up by yourselves) and gossip, so carry on

Speed ump
07-21-2015, 06:16 PM
Ahh, crickets now.

Danger Mouse
07-21-2015, 06:18 PM
Well, if we're on the topic of spin......

The gamesbeat article is several hours older than the gamasutra one, hence the updates on gamasutra.

The gamesbeat and gamasutra articles agree on 30% across the board for Gree International. Gamasutra sources say 66% in San Fran, gamesbeat only says several teams in San Fran, without mentioning or denying any percentage (unlike speedie would have you believe).

And also unlike speedie, I'll post the link to the "updated" gamesbeat article so you can see for yourself.

http://venturebeat.com/2015/07/21/japans-gree-lays-off-staff-in-its-san-francisco-office/

Make up your own minds on who's trying to spin the situation and peddle rumours.......

JB5
07-21-2015, 06:18 PM
http://venturebeat.com/2015/07/21/japans-gree-lays-off-staff-in-its-san-francisco-office/

JB5
07-21-2015, 06:19 PM
Beat me to it....

Vercingetorix
07-21-2015, 06:33 PM
So I did Google both articles cited in this thread and I have read both of the articles. Both state roughly the same thing. Layoffs between 30 and 60%. Both quote the CEO who tried to put a bow on the news. The gamesbeat author spoke with a community manager and confirmed the layoffs. Also it mentioned the advertising budget of other games - 40m a month. I presume it's the game with the swimsuit model who needs acting lessons but was hired for other attributes.

Speed ump
07-21-2015, 06:38 PM
The article said that the until rumor of 2/3 was actually 30 percent. The head honcho at gree said their realigning their businesses to develope better customer service and content for their better properties.

Danger Mouse
07-21-2015, 06:41 PM
The article said that the until rumor of 2/3 was actually 30 percent. The head honcho at gree said their realigning their businesses to develope better customer service and content for their better properties.

Where speedie? Do you have some other Gamesbeat article that isn't on Gamesbeat? The one and only article on Gamesbeat doesn't say any of that.......

Danger Mouse
07-21-2015, 06:43 PM
And here we hear from a happy (ex) employee on glassdoor...... Hilarious.

I worked at GREE International full-time (Less than a year)

Doesn't Recommend
Negative Outlook
No opinion of CEO
Pros
Awesome and talented people (especially engineers). Great perks, benefits, and location.
Cons
Clueless management / COO. Lack of project vision. Soul-crushing F2P development focused on squeezing a few extra bucks from the 'whales' without any regard to the quality of the product. So much wasted potential. The future of this company is bleak.
Advice to Management
Since you've been doing everything wrong up until this point, try doing the opposite of what your instincts tell you and maybe you will have some success.
Helpful (5)

DEWIN NUTTIN
07-21-2015, 07:13 PM
Hallelujah.
A moment of silence for all the great times we've enjoyed on the forum.
Please, tap a couple times for all the fallen homies, and the great community managers.
Tap Tap Tap
Sniff Sniff Snuff
In your tapping out and your tapping in, may THE GREE be with you.
Tap 'em if ya wanna, beloved!!!

bam bam.
07-21-2015, 08:20 PM
Maybe if they fought harder to implement the processes we suggested we would still have the fallen among us. They get no sympathy from me. They were apart of an unsustainable model, we told them so...they even knew it...yet they did not change it. No moment of silence. Good riddens to garbage.

good gawd noooo
07-21-2015, 08:30 PM
Maybe if they fought harder to implement the processes we suggested we would still have the fallen among us. They get no sympathy from me. They were apart of an unsustainable model, we told them so...they even knew it...yet they did not change it. No moment of silence. Good riddens to garbage.

while I do agree they had plenty of warning via the forum.. I still feel bad for people like bolt.. he was in tough spot being lied to by his employer and still tried to be as helpful as possible.. I m 98% positive he got in trouble for being so helpful since it didn't help their bottom line right away... those that were trying to make changes I feel for .. those running this game into the ground they get nothing but pity for their sheer stupidity

Speed ump
07-21-2015, 08:54 PM
Same thing happened to CJ, he was about as good as they've ever had.

DEWIN NUTTIN
07-21-2015, 09:00 PM
while I do agree they had plenty of warning via the forum.. I still feel bad for people like bolt.. he was in tough spot being lied to by his employer and still tried to be as helpful as possible.. I m 98% positive he got in trouble for being so helpful since it didn't help their bottom line right away... those that were trying to make changes I feel for .. those running this game into the ground they get nothing but pity for their sheer stupidity

Mi amigos, uno momento, por favor. Gracias.

I was referring to our fellow tappers, the ones that suffered, struggled, and endured these last four years with us.
I threw a bone out to Bolt, Clementine, and Relic; especially Bolt, because they appeared to be trying.
Alas, we'll never know, because Bolt, Clementine, and Relic could have been three persona's portrayed by one person.

That's my biggest gripe about these so called social "games", you don't know.

That said, unlike some people, I DEW hate to see other people hurting.
I take no joy in the employees who appear to have lost their jobs.
I DEW take great comfort in seeing THE GREE reap what its been sowing.

Galatians 6:7 - Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

bam bam.
07-21-2015, 10:02 PM

I was referring to our fellow tappers, the ones that suffered, struggled, and endured these last four years with us.
I threw a bone out to Bolt, Clementine, and Relic; especially Bolt, because they appeared to be trying.
Alas, we'll never know, because Bolt, Clementine, and Relic could have been three persona's portrayed by one person.

That said, unlike some people, I DEW hate to see other people hurting.
I take no joy in the employees who appear to have lost their jobs.
I DEW take great comfort in seeing THE GREE reap what its been sowing.

Galatians 6:7 - Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

If you are bad at your job, you should be removed from your job. I don't like seeing people unfairly removed due to other people's incompetence, I definitely have a big heart but when people screw us over and then get their come upons I have zero sympathies. We told them until we were blue in the face what they were doing was going to land them right here, and all they thought to do was issue us with bans and sanctions.

DEWIN NUTTIN
07-21-2015, 10:07 PM
If you are bad at your job, you should be removed from your job. I don't like seeing people unfairly removed due to other people's incompetence, I definitely have a big heart but when people screw us over and then get their come upons I have zero sympathies. We told them until we were blue in the face what they were doing was going to land them right here, and all they thought to do was issue us with bans and sanctions.

Yes, you are correct.

The ones communicating to use, lecturing us, or censoring us actually had no power to effect any change.

it would have been better if we were told, something like this: "Yeah, I like your ideas mate. But, I'm just a small minnow in GREE OCEAN. I'm here to interact with you, but I'm unable to enact or act upon any of your great ideas."

East Coast Bias
07-21-2015, 10:11 PM
I guess what this all means is that KYS better hurry up and rally the troops because they aren't going to have too many shots at dethroning SUP.

Ozymandias
07-21-2015, 10:17 PM

Look up community managers at gree on linked in. You can work out who clem, relic and tadahaa are.

Sheldor Sir
07-21-2015, 10:41 PM
everything working as intended, nothing to see here move along please..... baaaaaaa

DEWIN NUTTIN
07-21-2015, 11:37 PM
Look up community managers at gree on linked in. You can work out who clem, relic and tadahaa are.

Thanks mate, I saw that this afternoon.
Unfortunately, my mind distrusts my lying eyes. LOL

bam bam.
07-21-2015, 11:44 PM
Thanks mate, I saw that this afternoon.
Unfortunately, my mind distrusts my lying eyes. LOL

What was found?. Anyone got a link?.

DEWIN NUTTIN
07-22-2015, 12:06 AM
What was found?. Anyone got a link?.

Check linked in, and view THE GREE employees to discover B C R

bam bam.
07-22-2015, 12:15 AM

I'm on linked in but I find a mess.

Danger Mouse
07-22-2015, 12:36 AM

I found a few people listing their company as "Looking for other opportunities"

DEWIN NUTTIN
07-22-2015, 12:57 AM
I found a few people listing their company as "Looking for other opportunities"

You look very carefully you'll see the MISSING AMIGOS B C R

bam bam.
07-22-2015, 01:01 AM
You look very carefully you'll see the MISSING AMIGOS B C R

Can you save us the game of where's wally, n post the link?

Danger Mouse
07-22-2015, 01:03 AM
Can you save us the game of where's wally, n post the link?

Nah, don't. Leave them some dignity. If they wanted you to know their real names, they'd tell you. No need to gloat.

HellRaizer
07-22-2015, 01:13 AM
I'm on linked in but I find a mess.

There's one name for ya

And the 30% is incorrect according to inside sources. Although that's being debated in a different thread

Danger Mouse
07-22-2015, 01:53 AM
C B and R all had their last activity on the forums at the same time on the same day. I guess they were part of the casualty list.

ju100
07-22-2015, 02:11 AM
C B and R all had their last activity on the forums at the same time on the same day. I guess they were part of the casualty list.

[XFiles' theme playing in the background]

OR THEY WERE ALL THE SAME PERSON!

[/XFiles' theme playing in the background]

Danger Mouse
07-22-2015, 02:27 AM
There's one name for ya

And the 30% is incorrect according to inside sources. Although that's being debated in a different thread

30% is for the entire Gree International organisation. However, the COO says that only the San Fran office was affected out of the Gree Int sites, no other office was affected according to his release. So it has to be way more than 30% in that one office to make up the numbers for the entire group. The 66% reported in Gamasutra sounds about right. Absolutely crushed that office, so don't expect any answers to those tickets, let alone fixes, any time soon.

J-manKometh96
07-22-2015, 02:39 AM
Anyone remember this? http://product.gree.net/us/blog/442/gree-loves-our-players-interview-with-the-community-team/ Not too anonymous.

DEWIN NUTTIN
07-22-2015, 03:20 AM
Anyone remember this? http://product.gree.net/us/blog/442/gree-loves-our-players-interview-with-the-community-team/ Not too anonymous.

Back in the olden days of last fall, everything seemed to new, so pure, so wonderful; little did they know of the skulduggery, thuggery, knee capping, back biting, and back stabbing that would occur prior to that fateful day in July, 21 July to be exact.

bam bam.
07-22-2015, 03:58 AM
There's one name for ya

No help to the conversation at all. I've seen this link a million times. Not what we are talking about here. Don't make me find your lvl 5 account n raid you to death

Helios Von Elisar
07-22-2015, 04:54 AM
Outsourcing development. That has always worked so well in the past. You can do so much more with an unskilled worker who makes a few rupees a day than one of these spoiled, educated, experienced developers from Silicon Valley...

Agent Orange
07-22-2015, 06:07 AM
Not good, not good at all. I really feel for those employees who got terminated because management had their heads up their a$$es and stuck to a seriously flawed game plan.

We'll never know just how bad it was unfortunately, I would hope the PMs got removed as well though with most software companies doing layoffs you are met at the door, escorted to your workspace to collect some personal belongings and shown the door. In other companies you don't even make it past the front door.

The fact that the entire QA department was reportedly nuked and possibly outsourced indicates to me that things will get worse. Gree couldn't QA the product worth crap so how in the world will folks who have zero experience with the product be able to have any meaningfull imput.

I can only hope that the fool running the show got his ass canned as well because that is likely where the blame should be laid.

Agent Orange
07-22-2015, 06:09 AM
Outsourcing development. That has always worked so well in the past. You can do so much more with an unskilled worker who makes a few rupees a day than one of these spoiled, educated, experienced developers from Silicon Valley...

Also known as being put into maintenence mode.....

J-manKometh96
07-22-2015, 06:53 AM
No help to the conversation at all. I've seen this link a million times. Not what we are talking about here. Don't make me find your lvl 5 account n raid you to death

Between my link and that one you have the names of 3 of the four people that have had the position of CM. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out if anyone was spared.

Agent Orange
07-22-2015, 08:01 AM
Not very good reviews from their employees either….

http://www.glassdoor.ca/Reviews/GREE-International-Reviews-E477773.htm

sstuutss
07-22-2015, 09:08 AM
Well it turns out bolt was right about one thing, there were changes taking place in the background. He did say we would notice them soon ;)
Sadly it would seem the wrong people have been shown the door.

If only sup would tap more we wouldnt be in this position.

Vercingetorix
07-22-2015, 10:56 AM
I like the glass door comment that the COO added "Awesomeness" to his skills on LinkedIn yesterday. Brilliant comment.

WBS
07-22-2015, 11:46 AM
Spend ump is in denial. He doesn't want to lose the game and us all being jelly of him all the time. 3 more cycles to go...possibly 4

I saw this article a day or 2 ago. It makes us all wonder what will happen with MW, I don't know why Speed always assumed the worst. The article he posted was not edited.

Speed before you post with an accusation it would be wise to confirm your side.

Jg48
07-22-2015, 12:49 PM
Yeah never know speed might just be the ceo, coo, or ??. Maybe he has the inside news about what is really going on.

Bndawgs
07-22-2015, 12:59 PM

I'm not sure you read the article if you don't know who HellRaizer is talking about. It's really not hard.

Speed ump
07-22-2015, 03:34 PM
Wba, go read an article that shows all of what was said, not just the parts you want to hear. Either way it dosnt sound good for the game. Bam are you really as slow as you seem? I've said all along the game is dying, and will be shuttered at some point, and I recently said that we might be lucky to make it to the end of the year. Now is final either way at this point, but if it hit shut down today, I'd admit that's probabbly a few months earlier than I thought, but certainly not unexpected. I have plenty of other games that I play to keep me occupied. In fact with a new business I'm starting I really don't have much time for most of what I do have going on in the gaming world. I wonder what mr dew and his crew of flunkies will do the remain relevant to themselves. It would be Intresting to see what new forum they will pop up in, and they will. Dew can help himself, he needs an audience to be happy.

DEWIN NUTTIN
07-22-2015, 03:42 PM
I seek irrelevancy and anonymity, SHE stalks me.
SHE makes me relevant.
SHE breathes and longs for me to, well, you know.
I, on the other hand, keep the wisdom of former first lady Nancy Reagan in the forefront of my feeble mind, "Just say NO!"

Speed ump
07-22-2015, 04:04 PM
See, I knew he coulnt help himself. If really really sought irrelevancy you would have followed through with your own words that you had banished yourself from the forums. No it's quite apparent what you seek is attention, adoration from your cult, and in your mid at least. Some form of relavance.

Speed ump
07-22-2015, 04:05 PM
You obviously didn't follow Mrs Reagans advice, and just say no. So that's not very relevant , is it?

Danger Mouse
07-22-2015, 04:24 PM
Get a room you two. Geez.

Speed ump
07-22-2015, 04:39 PM
We have one, this is it.

WBS
07-22-2015, 04:40 PM
Get a room you two. Geez.

It is quite funny them two. Speed gets worked up and Dew remains calm, Speed can't help it lol. I hope you guys continue for many years to come, we love you both.

How could I have posted an article that someone else wrote that said only what I wanted it to say? That doesn't make any sense Speed, I never posted the article in the first place. DM posted it from another source unedited. And you accuse him of editing it and then accuse everyone else that we are nit picking words out of it to say what we want it to say. I can't make this stuff up! Speed you accused Dew of being a 4 year old and yet you try to tell on us for something we didn't do like a 4 year old would.

Speed we all know it's coming to an end and no one knows exactly when. Either get off your high horse and join the discussion or continue to pretend to add value to this discussion.

By the way I started my own business also, but does it mean that I am any more relevant than anyone else? No it doesn't. Your humbleness Speed is lacking.

Sirius
07-22-2015, 04:52 PM
Hey Guys,

Going to start shutting down threads like these as there's too many and some are getting way out of hand. Forum rules are forum rules regardless of the news folks have heard/speculated about.

More info will be coming out soon and thanks to those for keeping their heads cool^^