PDA

View Full Version : Stat inflation - dev question

HellRaizer
06-30-2015, 01:47 AM
Stat inflation was questioned during one of the first AMAs.. Has this been an oversight again or is it going as expected?

Original quote:

You said Ask Me Anything, so here's one that's more pointed... Was stat inflation supposed to give players attack and defense stats in the billions and tens-of-billions, or was that effect unintended?
Bonus points: If intentional, why are there soo... many elipses in the game?

When the decision was made a few years ago to start pushing up the value of rewards I’m not sure any of the people around thought the game would last this long! I wasn’t here at that time, so unfortunately I can’t ask them whether it was supposed to lead to stats in the billions. That being said, players may not realize this, but the inflation of stats in percentage terms has been extremely consistent (a few short accelerations and slowdowns aside) for the past few years, so ultimately, the inflation of stats was a predictable outcome of the prizes we were awarding for our events. We should have done a better job planning ahead for some of the user interface issues that occurred and keeping a better handle on the progression.

HellRaizer
06-30-2015, 01:48 AM
Original ama link : http://forums.gree.net/showthread.php?102454-AMA-Ask-The-Developer-Anything-December-4th&p=1429634&viewfull=1#post1429634

Greasy
06-30-2015, 09:40 AM
This is a double edge sword....
Tame inflation and give you small units, half the people complain.
Give you big guns, the other half complain about inflation.

See what happened in the latest EB? The difficulty was good, but a lot of players complained about the low stats of loot units. Let's pretend Gree raises the loot stats by 10 folds next round. Those chasing stats will be happy again but then you'll come back and complain about inflation..

HellRaizer
06-30-2015, 10:43 AM
Also an important number..

Fyi - For non players of MW this is the max that any of your stats could get to before potentially unforseen issues arise

HellRaizer
06-30-2015, 10:53 AM
A number that could be achieved should stat inflation remain on its exponential course

J-manKometh96
06-30-2015, 02:06 PM
http://forums.gree.net/showthread.php?116657-Tropic-Lightning-Ultimate-Missions-Event!

Their answer I guess.

Bolt
06-30-2015, 02:13 PM
Designers definitely keep 'stat inflation' in mind when creating events, it is discussed internally and part of the balancing act of creating meaningful player progression.

Original ama link : http://forums.gree.net/showthread.php?102454-AMA-Ask-The-Developer-Anything-December-4th&p=1429634&viewfull=1#post1429634

This is a double edge sword....
Tame inflation and give you small units, half the people complain.
Give you big guns, the other half complain about inflation.

See what happened in the latest EB? The difficulty was good, but a lot of players complained about the low stats of loot units. Let's pretend Gree raises the loot stats by 10 folds next round. Those chasing stats will be happy again but then you'll come back and complain about inflation..

This touches on some of the dilemma, yes. I am not a designer but I see this all the time here on the forum: depending on your point of view, event rewards can seem too weak or too strong. That's not to say that mistakes have not been made as 'Milburn Pennybags' explains on the AMA you linked but I can tell you with certainty that stat inflation is always under scrutiny by the designers.

sstuutss
06-30-2015, 02:24 PM
lol I think that horse has well.and truly bolted

rutty
07-01-2015, 03:20 AM
This equates to 9,223,372,036,854,775,807 - which is very large even for the biggest/busiest/richest players to reach

sstuutss
07-01-2015, 06:33 AM
yes he is well aware of that number, but it seems thats to criptic for some