PDA

View Full Version : This was an interesting read

Bndawgs
06-16-2015, 01:49 PM
GREE International is a company that is milking the last of it's cash cows. The company has done fairly well in the last 3-4 years in large part due to its $210M acquisition of Funzio. Funzio created a portfolio of addictive and profitable games that have been the majority of revenue but that is now beginning to decline rapidly as these games are really starting to show their age. User retention is falling and new user acquisition has been an uphill struggle for the last couple of years.

The people who made these successful games are also all nearly gone. The 4 founders of Funzio left nearly a year ago and there has been a steady exodus of Funzio employees as their options have vested. Product pipeline is soft at best and there have been numerous delays for upcoming games. Several unreleased games were simply re-skins that crashed and burned during beta and never saw the light of day.

Product portfolio isn't great but company culture, especially at the top, is even worse. A recent reorganization has brought in a megalomaniac leader (search Kabam's review "What happened to this place?") who attempts to inspire but instead micromanages and drives fear throughout the organization. Decisions are made and changed with little to no warning with subordinates taking the fall while leadership blames and points fingers, despite the fact that subordinates did exactly what was asked. The other VPs are not much better. What many of them do on a day-to-day basis is a mystery to most people and most rank and file employees look at them with disdain.

Promotions are given to those who pander to the execs the most, not to those who do the best work. This results in managers who often have an over-inflated sense of self worth and are completely clueless about the division/product they now run. The best skill you can have to succeed in this company is not product management, analytical reasoning, or design but rather how well you can navigate a treacherous corporate culture.

Due to the lack of new games and the dependence on antiquated ones, the company is now at a point where revenue is monitored on a day-by-day basis and any sort of deviation below target is dealt with a scathing postmortem meeting and usually solved with an aggressive sale shortly thereafter. This is the start of a vicious downward cycle as revenue typically plummets post-sale which is then made up by another (you guessed it) sale. Players aren't stupid and end up buying only during sale periods which creates an incredibly spiky revenue profile and increasingly difficult to hit monthly targets. Because of the monthly pressures to meet revenue targets, product development is stifled as there is no breathing room to try new and innovative features; only optimize existing ones.

Many people who are still working there are looking for a way out and the ones who are not are either new hires or content to ride the gravy train to the bitter end.

As most people know, gaming is very much a hits driven industry. If the next couple of games do not knock it out of the park, it would not be surprising to see GREE have a mass layoff like DeNA (it's neighbor across the courtyard) within the next 9-12 months.

Advice to Management

Replace yourselves with a team of professionals who have morale integrity, deep game domain experience, and who genuinely care about employees.

Allowing fiefdoms to form, playing favorites, not taking responsibility for your actions, and the willingness to throw subordinates under the bus for any reason have created a toxic environment where most employees do not trust or respect you.

Despite all the negatives, there are still people who work at GREE that believe in making a great game. Get out of their way and let them do it.

Pidgeot
06-16-2015, 02:00 PM
Yet what GREE can do is listen to the players and have this all fixed. If GREE fails, its their own damn fault.

Robespierre
06-16-2015, 02:15 PM
Interesing read and IBTL

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view6/3632218/ibtl-o-s.gif

The Dutch Republic
06-16-2015, 02:40 PM
Indeed, an interesting read. Top management just not capable. Think about this read next time you buy gold. It all goes to the pockets of these incompetent executives.

J-manKometh96
06-16-2015, 03:13 PM
Hmmm... How about that. Exactly what we've been saying all along. Pretty sad that everyone can see it except those at the top of the pile.

elangomatt
06-16-2015, 03:31 PM
Usually a good idea to cite your source, so here it is I believe: http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Employee-Review-GREE-International-RVW6379424.htm

Toby_Bear
06-16-2015, 04:57 PM
Lmao!!! Have we all not been screaming from the rooftops about the issues within the game only to fall on deaf ears. I've been playing this horrendous game with a top team for longer than I want to admit and wanted to quit many times but I can happily say than I have been done buying for a while now because the game is a complete bore with wash rinse repeat activities.... Now they are going for these waaaaaaaaaay long events to hold the time, yet another terrible decisions. For those employees looking for new jobs here's a bit of advice, don't list gree as former employer... Can't imagine they have respect of the mobile gaming community, I know they don't from the players of their games across all platforms. Peace out

Paisthecoolest
06-16-2015, 05:58 PM
Ibtl 67890

Speed ump
06-16-2015, 06:47 PM
I've branched out to also playing several other games for some time now. One thing seems to be constant between them all, poor customer service and response. Gree does seem to have by far the best forums, and better involvement from tehir employees in the forum( I know you find that word to believe, but it's true) some game shave no forum at all, not even third party ones that have any reall participation. The one thing that I have noticed. Those other games have almost no glitches, and have not had the hacking issues we did here for three years. The time needed to participate in all events is also much higher in this game than any other. In my opinion this creates burnout. Remeber those games where you used to have to feed a digital dog, pet it etc, or it would get sick from neglect. Yes this is the modern version of that. Now go feed your pet and give him some attention, I'm headed back to mine right now to let him know he's loved. Here boy, here's a little gold.

groovy shags
06-17-2015, 03:40 AM
Speed, have you tried Boom Beach from SuperCell yet? They have a great forum, Facebook and Twitter. They actually interact with the players, find out what they want, then implement the changes to the game. And glitch free I might add! The graphics and strategy are great! Factions are called task forces, and requires real teamwork. You also get free gems everyday. No need to buy any, unless you are extremely impatient waiting for upgrades to buildings. lol Anyone looking for a great game should certainly give it a shot! You will not be disappointed.

Big John
06-17-2015, 04:57 AM
The other 2 games I play have issues too and reading Boom Beach reviews I see the usual "the game was good till the latest update "

Could be my age is catching up with me.

smbass77
06-17-2015, 08:19 AM
see the salaries? I'm in the wrong field ha.

Edr9x23super
06-17-2015, 08:29 AM
This is not a GREE problem, but an American one. You could take the GREE corporate references out of your post, replace them with the name of my company and you would have virtually identical descriptions of what is going on across America.........

So, as one wise poster observed, "sit back and watch Rome burn"........

ezmunie
06-17-2015, 02:51 PM
So much negativity all across the board.

If you don't like a company or how it's run, you don't buy from that company... you don't use their merchandise.

Same with a game company. Just quit playing now, go back to your life and never post in this forum again.

You'd be doing us all a service.

DEWIN NUTTIN
06-17-2015, 03:55 PM
Speed, have you tried Boom Beach from SuperCell yet? They have a great forum, Facebook and Twitter. They actually interact with the players, find out what they want, then implement the changes to the game. And glitch free I might add! The graphics and strategy are great! Factions are called task forces, and requires real teamwork. You also get free gems everyday. No need to buy any, unless you are extremely impatient waiting for upgrades to buildings. lol Anyone looking for a great game should certainly give it a shot! You will not be disappointed.

My friend, beware BOOM BEACH. Why? My other friends have already conquered it, too. LOL

J-manKometh96
06-17-2015, 04:40 PM
So much negativity all across the board.

If you don't like a company or how it's run, you don't buy from that company... you don't use their merchandise.

Same with a game company. Just quit playing now, go back to your life and never post in this forum again.

You'd be doing us all a service.

Thank you Mr. Authority for your public service announcement, filled with such positive words. Without people like you guiding us with your lead by example ways, who knows where we'd be.

Speed ump
06-18-2015, 05:05 AM
Groovy, I wasn't naming games since gree says we are not allowed to do that here, but I do play their number one game, so I expect much the same from that one. I have not found the forums there to have as much involvement from the players or than they post ideas for bases a lot. You are right though, glitch free, though not hacker free. Mr dew why does it not suprise me that your freinds have " conquered" that game too. For those who don't understand the reference, he means they have hacked that game also. I'm sure him and his buddies are quite proud of their great achievement.

groovy shags
06-18-2015, 05:46 AM
Ok...I will refer to it as BB then. Didn't know we couldn't name games here in North Korea. lol but yeah, CoC is good also. I just find the military style units more interesting on BB. As for hacking, I don't have the time to invest in that aspect of gaming. But I do love to participate in the GREE glitches that pop up every now and again. Hacking can certainly invade all kinds of competition. Just ask the Houston Astros, who's scouting database was just hacked by the St. Louis Cardinals! Can't wait to hear the investigation results from that one! lol

Vile Lynn
06-18-2015, 07:48 AM
Ok...I will refer to it as BB then. Didn't know we couldn't name games here...

FYI, we can post about other games now. The new CMT removed it from the Forum CoC when they updated it.

Speed ump
06-18-2015, 08:00 AM
Yeah groovy, I'm intrested in seeing where that Astros thing goes, since I live in Houston. Really surprised at their performance this year, compared to where they were previously.