PDA

View Full Version : Remember the true heroes of the greatest generation today!

groovy shags
06-06-2015, 06:04 AM
71 years ago today, the greatest invasion in world history began! Operation overlord! D-Day, June 6th, 1944 on the beaches of Normandy, France! Without those brave men and women, the world would be a much different place. I could listen to those guys stories all day long. Raise a drink in their honor, or if you are lucky enough to run into a WWII veteran, have one with them!

WBS
06-06-2015, 08:25 AM
N
71 years ago today, the greatest invasion in world history began! Operation overlord! D-Day, June 6th, 1944 on the beaches of Normandy, France! Without those brave men and women, the world would be a much different place. I could listen to those guys stories all day long. Raise a drink in their honor, or if you are lucky enough to run into a WWII veteran, have one with them!

Amen! They all deserve recognition for their courage and sacrifice!

Tee
06-06-2015, 08:41 AM
Thanks to all those who fought there on that day. Many paid the ultimate sacrifice. Very few are still with us today.

DEWIN NUTTIN
06-06-2015, 10:31 AM
Unfortunately, 16,000,000 men and women served in uniform during WWII and the ensuing occupation.
Today, fewer than 855,000 are still alive.

http://www.nationalww2museum.org/honor/wwii-veterans-statistics.html

My father served in WWII, two uncles, four cousins, and one of my grandfathers.
They were very modest, quiet, private, and silent heroes.
I never knew exactly what my dad did, until I returned from my first tour in 'Nam.
He was among that first wave, sent ashore to invade Omaha Beach.
When dad would speak of what they faced, he'd always tear up a tad, and would say, "That's enough for now, son."

Those patriots and heroes from one of the greatest generations, served for the ubiquitous "duration".
They served, for the most part with great courage, sacrifice, and all eagerness to "do their bit", as one of mu uncles was fond of saying.
I miss those men, especially my dad.

Let us also not forget those who helped build the implements of the massive war machine the US brought to bear against the Axis powers on two vast fronts, across two oceans.
Wives, sons, daughters, mothers, fathers, and husbands who couldn't serve (for various reasons) made sacrifices with food and supply rationing to give more to the troops.
Life revolved around the war.
News wasn't instantaneous as it is today, often taking days and weeks to reach the citizenry.
Yet, those at home made what those heroes attempted on that day possible.

I salute them all, all of the allies (12 nations in all participated in that invasion) who on June 6th, 1944 embarked upon the largest assault upon one the best armies ever assembled to free Europe, who at the same time, on the Asian land mass, were fighting the other half of that massive and determined armed force that wasn't yet ready to surrender.

May whatever deity you worship (or none at all); bless them all.

https://www.dday.org/history/d-day-the-invasion/overview

bam bam.
06-07-2015, 05:56 AM
I am glad we only war in pixels. The courage of all men and women who have served and are serving is amazing.