PDA

View Full Version : My Experience as a Gold Spender

Dipstik
05-21-2015, 02:13 PM
Thanks to Mother's Day and the need to buy flowers for every woman in my life, I recently had the unusual experience of sitting on quite a bit more gold than I'm used to having. All I can say is that I never realized how easy it is to blow through it. Close fight in a street assault? Just keep clicking. Want to finish the boss event? How many refills could it take? And once you commit to using gold on something, you pretty much have to finish it due to sunk costs. You're not going to refill to finish bosses 136-141 and then give up.

I am used to hoarding my meager tapjoy stash like a miser, using it only in the most dire circumstances. Now that I've had the experience of being able to blow through a few hundred gold in minutes, I have a newfound appreciation for this game. I can extrapolate the psychological impulse to click "refill" repeatedly and imagine others who do the same thing with "Buy Vault." The same need to finish an event or battle that I've already sunk gold into is probably what drives people to keep spending to maintain their "lead" despite the fact that no one wins, there are no leaderboards, and it's obvious that the prizes we win can be taken away or rendered useless at any time.

It also sort of cheapened the feeling of finishing the event.

Not a good feeling.

Red BD
05-21-2015, 02:42 PM
At least you (apparently) were able to buy the flowers. I could see someone going so far, forcing the knowledge out of their head that some taps cost real money which might be needed for far more important things than some goofy gift. Good for you.

Vile Lynn
05-21-2015, 02:48 PM
I still remember that good & bad feeling. It's fun using gold! It's hard to resist 40% off sales.

Evan1000
05-21-2015, 03:24 PM
I'm also the guy to hoard all his tapjoy gold until I absolutely need it to finish an event. I never bought gold, or even flowers through an offer, but when my tapjoy switched to supersonic I ended up having over 1k gold from just two big offers.

That feeling that you know you have enough gold to finish, and once you buy one refill or whatever there ain't nothing stopping you until you get where you want to be.. I felt that during the case event. 600 gold down the drain in only two days for 1 prize (give or take 22m in raw stats and 1m for each item I got).

Gold is far easier to spend when you have more of it at once, and it's harder to spend casually and save your gold when you have an abundance of it.

Dipstik
05-21-2015, 03:32 PM
Give it up, evan...

Evan1000
05-21-2015, 03:38 PM
Give it up, evan...

Huh?

Extras

Idiosyncrasy
05-21-2015, 05:03 PM
1) I'm surprised it took you this long to figure this out. Then again, that means you've practiced self-control up until this point.
2) How did buying flowers equate to having more gold? Must have been Gree flowers with an interesting rebate program.

The most I've spent in one event was 900 gold in one war. The majority was spent in two or three battles. I had just joined what turned out to be a top 25 team and I had to meet quota, but my young stats gave me few targets to hit. Once I found a sitting duck, I had to redeem myself.

I got out of that situation pretty quickly. Made some choices and lived on tapjoy and video offer gold for a while, until my ultimate demise.

Dipstik
05-21-2015, 05:28 PM
You can get 300+ gold for buying flowers through various tapjoy offers.

1Shot
05-21-2015, 05:48 PM
Buy gold? I use tapjoy to get all my gold!

MK Loves You
05-21-2015, 06:09 PM
Thanks to Mother's Day and the need to buy flowers for every woman in my life, I recently had the unusual experience of sitting on quite a bit more gold than I'm used to having. All I can say is that I never realized how easy it is to blow through it. Close fight in a street assault? Just keep clicking. Want to finish the boss event? How many refills could it take? And once you commit to using gold on something, you pretty much have to finish it due to sunk costs. You're not going to refill to finish bosses 136-141 and then give up.

I am used to hoarding my meager tapjoy stash like a miser, using it only in the most dire circumstances. Now that I've had the experience of being able to blow through a few hundred gold in minutes, I have a newfound appreciation for this game. I can extrapolate the psychological impulse to click "refill" repeatedly and imagine others who do the same thing with "Buy Vault." The same need to finish an event or battle that I've already sunk gold into is probably what drives people to keep spending to maintain their "lead" despite the fact that no one wins, there are no leaderboards, and it's obvious that the prizes we win can be taken away or rendered useless at any time.

It also sort of cheapened the feeling of finishing the event.

Not a good feeling.
Is this the end of Dipstik?

Will Dipstik's sense of accomplishment ever return?

Find out next week in the newest edition of...

CRIME CITY FORUMS!

Dipstik
05-21-2015, 06:47 PM
Oh of course not. I'll be here long after you're all gone and forgotten.

MK Loves You
05-21-2015, 07:22 PM
Oh of course not. I'll be here long after you're all gone and forgotten.

You forgot to say spoiler alert....

Dipstik
05-21-2015, 07:32 PM
If that's a spoiler, you haven't been watching :)

Vile Lynn
05-22-2015, 10:27 AM
I'll be here long after you're all gone and forgotten.

I dunno about that, Dipstik. I can be pretty stubborn.