PDA

View Full Version : Should units have a shelf life?

Danger Mouse
04-27-2015, 02:09 PM
This is how the playing field gets levelled over time and the game renewed.

The game suffers from massive inequality where newbies, no matter how much money they throw at the game, will never be competitive with active old timers that have all the great boost units from 3 years ago. The are forever behind the eightball with no hope of ever locking horns with those guys.

The solution gree has for this is massive, ridiculous stat inflation where unit strengths lurch spasmodically in leaps and bounds, usually over a weekend where if you miss out, well, you REALLY miss out.

It seems to me that the much simpler, far more elegant, and far more sane solution is simply to give all units a shelf life. Say 1 year, then they disappear from your inventory on the anniversary date of when you acquired them. And with the unit also goes the boost attached to it.

Old timers have to stay active to keep ahead of the pack, not just rest on their massive laurels built up over time from the days of massive boost bonuses.

Newbies have a sliver of hope that with time and activity they will be able to get to the top of the pile eventually.

There is no need, ever, for stat inflation.

What do you think?

DEWIN NUTTIN
04-27-2015, 02:12 PM
I think nothing, because no one from the right side of the tablet is interested in reading my thoughts.

Preacher Wolf
04-27-2015, 02:45 PM
The only problem i see with this is that there would be even less people spending money on this game if the units were only around for a year. If gree does not make any money then we don't have modern war anymore. This past weekend is the first time that i could really see a difference with all the people that have left. For the first time i am starting to think that this game is in a lot of trouble and it may be closing down sooner than later

sstuutss
04-27-2015, 02:50 PM
I think you're thinking along the right lines, for the same reason I think temp boosts(which is effectively what you're asking for) was one of the few good ideas gree ever had. The problem is the time for that thinking was about 2 years ago before they started with the perm boosts, but then gree admits they can't believe the game has limped along for so long.

sstuutss
04-27-2015, 02:54 PM
The only problem i see with this is that there would be even less people spending money on this game if the units were only around for a year.
I think you underestimate the tappers need to tap.

Preacher Wolf
04-27-2015, 02:58 PM
I think you underestimate the tappers need to tap.

i am not talking about the top tappers. i am talking to the tappers that are in the top 100-500 factions that will not spend as much because the units going away. i am in a top faction and i don't think i would spend on units that went away a year later. i probably would for health regen units because those would pay for them selfs in war.

fatbodychris
04-27-2015, 03:00 PM
This post is spot on. I wish my 401k money manager would take all the money I personally invest each year with him and take it back for himself so a brand new guy can be on equal terms like a long time customer. I can't believe this hasn't be thought of before. Who wouldn't love starting over fresh every year with absolutely nothing? This is a great way to bring new people in.
Gree could in return give all money back that was spent to aquire those units. And then we could have the perfect not for profit game.
I really hope gree is listening to this brilliant idea.

sstuutss
04-27-2015, 03:13 PM
and i don't think i would spend on units that went away a year later. i probably would for health regen units because those would pay for them selfs in war.
and I think you're wrong, but its likely to late now to find out either way.

Who wouldn't love starting over fresh every year with absolutely nothing? .
Maybe you have trouble reading, no one said any such thing.

Rparker1979
04-27-2015, 03:26 PM
Don't ussually comment but this would drive folks whom already have one foot out the door to be completely out and looking for lawers. When sold to consumer as industructable it means exactly that, industructable. Always and forever on your account till servers shut the game down.

Thief
04-27-2015, 03:28 PM
That wouldn't happen or everyone would simply petition for Refunds from Apple/Google.

Then the game is simply dead at that point.

It probably would have been a good idea to use from the start but bad to implement it after the fact.
At the same time very few players still exist that have been playing for 3+ years at this point. Time takes care of the issue or if it doesn't they are the ones spending anyways to stay competitive (good for gree)

Preacher Wolf
04-27-2015, 03:46 PM
and I think you're wrong, but its likely to late now to find out either way.

you would be starting over every year. here is his statement

It seems to me that the much simpler, far more elegant, and far more sane solution is simply to give all units a shelf life. Say 1 year, then they disappear from your inventory on the anniversary date of when you acquired them. And with the unit also goes the boost attached to it.

to give all units a shelf life. Say 1 year, then they disappear. What do you think that means? If all the units disappeared after one year of having them then you would be starting over every year so that other players have a chance to have the same stats as you. This would not work because people don't want to spend money to see it go away and then have free players have higher stats then them until they build back up their stats or until the free players units disappear.

fatbodychris
04-27-2015, 03:47 PM

It seems to me that the much simpler, far more elegant, and far more sane solution is simply to give all units a shelf life. Say 1 year, then they disappear from your inventory on the anniversary date of when you acquired them. And with the unit also goes the boost attached.

So if this happened today and I played one day and got some units, stopped playing, then came back in 366 days, I wouldn't have any units right? I'm not sure if my reading skills are up to par.

Danger Mouse
04-27-2015, 03:56 PM
I'll explain more clearly.

You get unit X on the 15th of June. 15th of June the next year unit X is removed.

Meanwhile, on the 10th of August you get unit Y. You keep unit Y until the 10th of August the next year.

And so on and so forth for each and every unit you earn each and every day.

It's a revolving door - units in, units out. If you want better stats than what you have, then you have to keep going constantly trying to get to the next level. Alternatively, you snooze, you lose.

Danger Mouse
04-27-2015, 03:59 PM
If you left the game now for 366 days you'd be so far behind the eightball you'd have no chance whatsoever of ever again being competitive.

At least this way after a year you could be king of the heap again.

DEWIN NUTTIN
04-27-2015, 04:02 PM
Nothing ever changes, and THE GREE only does what THE GREE chooses to DEW.

Big John
04-27-2015, 04:12 PM
Apart from bonus units all other units already have a shelf life.

good gawd noooo
04-27-2015, 04:14 PM
i am not talking about the top tappers. i am talking to the tappers that are in the top 100-500 factions that will not spend as much because the units going away. i am in a top faction and i don't think i would spend on units that went away a year later. i probably would for health regen units because those would pay for them selfs in war.

Gree already proved this would work at least to lesser degree with temp boost earned threw cycle with much short benefit time frame.. many from all lvls of factions spent gold to get the temp boost as quickly as possible.. I do think some bonuses should be permanent however think they should be won at lower lvls(which means top dawgs will also have them by default) but time frame on bonuses is a possible way of saving the game and undoing the stat inflation. I do have to admit I like seeing hundreds of bil stats on my ids.. but before that epic boss I could reg attack 90% of the dls we faced and win now with the epic boss units AND the new boost buildings the dl always has stats in the trillions.

BUt the reason this would work is simple.. most on top want the bragging rights of saying their a top 5 or 10 team bla bla bla bla. it might actually encourage additional gold usage in higher arena as if the top 1 team slacks for more then a cycle or two well the climb back is gonna be harder so keep your spot will drive the tappers just as much if not more then it does now. The top players spenders etc its somewhat of an ego thing for them to be the best of the best .. that WONT change.

permanent boost will be like 50% of the energy regen bonuses so we can balance out the boosts.. and plus to upgrades should be permanent but with limit(ie no matter how many units with that bonus you get say 6 upgrades at once is max gain) an regen bonuses some permanent and then some high end temp regens would draw interest..

BOTTOM LINE IS THIS IS AN OPTION GREE COULD USE TO EXTEND LIFE OF GAME AND MAYBE JUST MAYBE PUL IT OUT OF THE GRAVEYARD

Big John
04-27-2015, 04:19 PM
They could auto recycle all the old units for cash and valour.

Preacher Wolf
04-27-2015, 04:24 PM
Gree already proved this would work at least to lesser degree with temp boost earned threw cycle with much short benefit time frame.. many from all lvls of factions spent gold to get the temp boost as quickly as possible.. I do think some bonuses should be permanent however think they should be won at lower lvls(which means top dawgs will also have them by default) but time frame on bonuses is a possible way of saving the game and undoing the stat inflation. I do have to admit I like seeing hundreds of bil stats on my ids.. but before that epic boss I could reg attack 90% of the dls we faced and win now with the epic boss units AND the new boost buildings the dl always has stats in the trillions.

BUt the reason this would work is simple.. most on top want the bragging rights of saying their a top 5 or 10 team bla bla bla bla. it might actually encourage additional gold usage in higher arena as if the top 1 team slacks for more then a cycle or two well the climb back is gonna be harder so keep your spot will drive the tappers just as much if not more then it does now. The top players spenders etc its somewhat of an ego thing for them to be the best of the best .. that WONT change.

permanent boost will be like 50% of the energy regen bonuses so we can balance out the boosts.. and plus to upgrades should be permanent but with limit(ie no matter how many units with that bonus you get say 6 upgrades at once is max gain) an regen bonuses some permanent and then some high end temp regens would draw interest..

BOTTOM LINE IS THIS IS AN OPTION GREE COULD USE TO EXTEND LIFE OF GAME AND MAYBE JUST MAYBE PUL IT OUT OF THE GRAVEYARD

I have never heard of a faction using gold to get the temp reward faster. To each is their own I guess

Danger Mouse
04-27-2015, 04:29 PM
The only permanent boosts should be faction boosts. Get rid of the unit boost after a year of having that unit. No permanent unit boosts at all.

It keeps the pressure on the top teams to keep their game at full throttle, it allows lower or new players the hope that if they lift their game (ie spend), they have a stab at being at the top.

Danger Mouse
04-27-2015, 04:32 PM
They could auto recycle all the old units for cash and valour.

With no need for stat inflation, ALL the old units could be put on an auto cycle. Lowers the workload for gree to constantly program new and different units. They can then dedicate time to fixing issues rather than constantly implementing new content.

DEWIN NUTTIN
04-27-2015, 04:34 PM
Many people, places, and things won't be around in 365 days from now.
A year is a very long time.

Danger Mouse
04-27-2015, 04:36 PM
Many people, places, and things won't be around in 365 days from now.
A year is a very long time.

I seem to recall you saying something similar a year ago.
-
But, yes, a year is a long time. Which is why this would work to keep the game constantly renewed and fresh for new and old alike.

Pidgeot
04-27-2015, 04:44 PM
I would not like to lose any units, however I do think some cycles should use certain units for stats and have events based on those units.

Danger Mouse
04-27-2015, 04:59 PM
I would not like to lose any units, however I do think some cycles should use certain units for stats and have events based on those units.

What's the difference? And your way offers far more opportunity for malfunctioning rollouts.

good gawd noooo
04-27-2015, 05:11 PM

no one wants to lose units.. personaly keeping units but losing bonus seems better over all to me.. however something does need to be done in regards to stat inflation and all these boosts out there that make it impossible for newer players to ever be more then a wannabe. yes they earned them and even those of us in lower levels would love some hard earned bonuses.. but as you can tell by recent turnout in wd and the frenzy for merges instead of recruits in forum indicate.. this horse isn't gonna get back up without severe intervention

Danger Mouse
04-27-2015, 05:15 PM
It seems to me that in one swoop if this was implemented it could fix 95% of what ails this game. Sure, there would be pain to start, but give it 6 months into a new regime and no one will remember as the game goes on.

DEWIN NUTTIN
04-27-2015, 05:36 PM
It seems to me that in one swoop if this was implemented it could fix 95% of what ails this game. Sure, there would be pain to start, but give it 6 months into a new regime and no one will remember as the game goes on.

It would be a start.
But, we know who fails to even entertain any suggestions.

Pidgeot
04-27-2015, 06:28 PM
I agree something needs to be done. Perhaps giving people destructible units for rewards during the end of. For example, an LTQ would give units up to 10/15, since this is where money needs to be spent that can be loss during normal gameplay. 9/10 would give you a destructible unit with say, 500K A/D but all units afterwards would be indestructible. Rather than getting 8 or 9 indestructible units, you get 2 or 3 that say forever. People would also complete normal and easy LTQ for the final unit, even if it has 1m stats since it stays around.

The problem is EVERY unit we get cannot be lost in normal gameplay. I think bring back Full Assault fixes this almost instantly since the players make the meta and the meta would be high stat units, make LTQs from here on out that have units that can be lost but the final few and fix the current inflation somehow. The problem is how do we fix it in a way to where most players would agree with it.

Danger Mouse
04-27-2015, 06:47 PM
I agree something needs to be done. Perhaps giving people destructible units for rewards during the end of. For example, an LTQ would give units up to 10/15, since this is where money needs to be spent that can be loss during normal gameplay. 9/10 would give you a destructible unit with say, 500K A/D but all units afterwards would be indestructible. Rather than getting 8 or 9 indestructible units, you get 2 or 3 that say forever. People would also complete normal and easy LTQ for the final unit, even if it has 1m stats since it stays around.

The problem is EVERY unit we get cannot be lost in normal gameplay. I think bring back Full Assault fixes this almost instantly since the players make the meta and the meta would be high stat units, make LTQs from here on out that have units that can be lost but the final few and fix the current inflation somehow. The problem is how do we fix it in a way to where most players would agree with it.

you're missing the point entirely. The biggest problem is exactly that players hang on to every unit they get that is indestructible, and since Gree aren't as generous as they once were with boosts, this leads to massive advantage for active old-timers that is essentially killing the game as they try every means under the sun to fix it and just foul things up more (equipment, monster stat inflation, etc.)

Giving all units a shelf life renews the game as a matter of routine and removes the need for all that in one action. Gives old players something to play for as they could lose their advantage and could be dethroned if they rest on their laurels and don't participate to renew units. Gives new players hope that they can realistically reach the pinnacle one day - as at the moment they have a snowballs chance in hell of getting to the top unless they part with tens of thousands of dollars to bridge that gap or all old timers bail from the game. The competition that makes the game great is renewed, and hopefully most of the snafus that make it not so great are removed as the game is greatly simplified.

crazeejay
04-27-2015, 06:56 PM
Don't ussually comment but this would drive folks whom already have one foot out the door to be completely out and looking for lawers. When sold to consumer as industructable it means exactly that, industructable. Always and forever on your account till servers shut the game down.

I always lol when someone mentions lawyers here. Have fun with that buddy! They took away my pixels your honor! LOL

Danger Mouse
04-27-2015, 07:21 PM
I'm quite sure that if you read the TOC you'd find sufficient fine print to say that Gree retains the right to modify any and all game content at their discretion, regardless of what you may think you purchased.

Pidgeot
04-27-2015, 07:23 PM
you're missing the point entirely. The biggest problem is exactly that players hang on to every unit they get that is indestructible, and since Gree aren't as generous as they once were with boosts, this leads to massive advantage for active old-timers that is essentially killing the game as they try every means under the sun to fix it and just foul things up more (equipment, monster stat inflation, etc.)

Giving all units a shelf life renews the game as a matter of routine and removes the need for all that in one action. Gives old players something to play for as they could lose their advantage and could be dethroned if they rest on their laurels and don't participate to renew units. Gives new players hope that they can realistically reach the pinnacle one day - as at the moment they have a snowballs chance in hell of getting to the top unless they part with tens of thousands of dollars to bridge that gap or all old timers bail from the game. The competition that makes the game great is renewed, and hopefully most of the snafus that make it not so great are removed as the game is greatly simplified.

But the player base dont want to have their units taken away. We all worked for them and want to keep them. Something should change but not on a mass removal process.

Danger Mouse
04-27-2015, 07:26 PM
But the player base dont want to have their units taken away. We all worked for them and want to keep them. Something should change but not on a mass removal process.

well then, the game is doomed, as there is no way to counter the imbalance bought on by permanent retention of units and boosts into the infinite future. Hence the current exodus.

Pidgeot
04-27-2015, 08:05 PM
well then, the game is doomed, as there is no way to counter the imbalance bought on by permanent retention of units and boosts into the infinite future. Hence the current exodus.

Like I said, there should be a way to fix this in a way everyone can agree with. No one wants to have their units taken away from them. I say we have events that use different unit stats. I do think full assault will fix this. Maybe have a cycle were dont use unit boost. There are a ton of things that can work without taking away peoples units.

Danger Mouse
04-27-2015, 08:13 PM
Like I said, there should be a way to fix this in a way everyone can agree with. No one wants to have their units taken away from them. I say we have events that use different unit stats. I do think full assault will fix this. Maybe have a cycle were dont use unit boost. There are a ton of things that can work without taking away peoples units.

and given their track record of rolling out new events, doing any of these will break the game beyond repair and drive more people away. careful what you wish for my friend.

good gawd noooo
04-27-2015, 11:38 PM
Hate to say it but NO ONE wants to pay the price for gree's mistakes or miscalculations. Danger mouse is correct the game can not and will not continue the way it is. The only way to repair it is to take away some things and the higher the stats you have the more you will likely lose.. everyone is fine with the idea of change as long as it doesn't affect them and their stats.. well wake up people .. if done fairly the big guys will still be the big guys just instead of being a trillion points out of reach they maybe more like a billion out of reach and if they chose to take a break then they come into reach quicker.... if this game or any other is meant for long run it has to have a sustainable income and interest a challenge.. but no one is gonna face 300 gunmen with bullet proof vests and ak 47's and 300 rounds each with only a knife.. but that is what newbies are expected to face when they make new accounts.. EVERYONE will have to pay a price to get this game on track.. not willing to give up a few units or boost.. fine then prepare to give up EVERYTHING instead when game ends.. that is the cold hard reality and that is exactly what is coming and sooner then you may think

Pidgeot
04-28-2015, 12:56 AM
Hate to say it but NO ONE wants to pay the price for gree's mistakes or miscalculations. Danger mouse is correct the game can not and will not continue the way it is. The only way to repair it is to take away some things and the higher the stats you have the more you will likely lose.. everyone is fine with the idea of change as long as it doesn't affect them and their stats.. well wake up people .. if done fairly the big guys will still be the big guys just instead of being a trillion points out of reach they maybe more like a billion out of reach and if they chose to take a break then they come into reach quicker.... if this game or any other is meant for long run it has to have a sustainable income and interest a challenge.. but no one is gonna face 300 gunmen with bullet proof vests and ak 47's and 300 rounds each with only a knife.. but that is what newbies are expected to face when they make new accounts.. EVERYONE will have to pay a price to get this game on track.. not willing to give up a few units or boost.. fine then prepare to give up EVERYTHING instead when game ends.. that is the cold hard reality and that is exactly what is coming and sooner then you may think

There are 2 things wrong though. The new boost buildings provide really large boost. That with 20 levels provides 80% to my unit boost, which are large. Another thing that may work is completely remove ALL units from that epic boss and compensate all the players with gold for them. Something like 5 gold a unit, which would be fair since a lot of use spend the whole 6 day event farming. Those 2 things are the problem. I would even go as far to say nerf the new unit buildings and reduce the levels to 10 and also compensate those players.

As for new players, I was thinking maybe start them off with a unit worth 5 or 10 billion attack and defense and let them go from there.

J-manKometh96
04-28-2015, 01:17 AM
Compensate? This is GREE we are talking about lol. One thing I keep hearing is that new players will never catch up to older ones. That is very true. However, who cares? The only time it really comes into play is WD. Beyond that, new people should all be roughly around each other unless one went crazy and leveled up insanely. Keep raising the level cap at a regular rate and most new players will never come into contact with the top dogs. While there may be some challenge, there is nothing stopping a new player from climbing through the faction ranks to a well ranked team and making large gains to be able to play at a respectably high level. Far more gains in far less time than the 3-4 years most of us have spent building accounts.

ju100
04-28-2015, 03:08 AM
I'm not sure everyone is getting what Danger Mouse is proposing:
If units get a shelf life of one year, top players will still have an advantage, since they'll have their current advantage for one year. They be able to farm bigger rewards during this year than the average Joe. Those farmed units won't disappear at the same time than the t0 pool of unit. After 365 days, the t0 pool disappear, but top player would still have their advantage IF they are as active as everyone (not relying on their +3 yo bonuses)
It really is a good idea to get some fun in the game : but Gree would have to release some good units from time to time, like in the Funzio days

DEWIN NUTTIN
04-28-2015, 03:24 AM
It's great to dream.
A dream is all you've got.
Why?
Because NUTTIN is gonna change.

HellRaizer
04-28-2015, 03:48 AM
If an idea like this was implemented I would happily return to the game. It would certainly alleviate that hyper-gree-statflation and would allow new blood back into the while while allowing the leaders to remain top while they are still actively playing.

Although I wouldn't know it could initially be released.. Would all units > 1year be removed instantly? Would current units stats then be reduced back to stats of a year ago.

Sparkle
04-28-2015, 03:59 AM
Elegant? You are describing Cud.
Enjoy a great meal then puke it up so that you can eat it again. Yummy.

Danger Mouse
04-28-2015, 04:22 AM
J
If an idea like this was implemented I would happily return to the game. It would certainly alleviate that hyper-gree-statflation and would allow new blood back into the while while allowing the leaders to remain top while they are still actively playing.

Although I wouldn't know it could initially be released.. Would all units > 1year be removed instantly? Would current units stats then be reduced back to stats of a year ago.

I'd say you have 6 months, then all units older that 18 months (6 months warning plus 12 months anniversary) all units in your inventory older than 18 months go. Then the rolling 12 month shelf life on units kicks in.
-
Otherwise I'd say get your fork, this game is done.

Agent Orange
04-28-2015, 04:31 AM
This is how the playing field gets levelled over time and the game renewed.

The game suffers from massive inequality where newbies, no matter how much money they throw at the game, will never be competitive with active old timers that have all the great boost units from 3 years ago. The are forever behind the eightball with no hope of ever locking horns with those guys.

The solution gree has for this is massive, ridiculous stat inflation where unit strengths lurch spasmodically in leaps and bounds, usually over a weekend where if you miss out, well, you REALLY miss out.

Old timers have to stay active to keep ahead of the pack, not just rest on their massive laurels built up over time from the days of massive boost bonuses.

Newbies have a sliver of hope that with time and activity they will be able to get to the top of the pile eventually.

There is no need, ever, for stat inflation.

What do you think?

I don't like the idea. New players get some major advantages because of stat inflation. Most of the LLPs I've created in the past month are catching up stat wise to my 3 year ols LLPs raw stat wise. I do suspect that something unit or graphic wise in my oldest player accounts is what keeps triggering lock outs but expirey dates on units probably would not fix this.

I get the feeling that new players as in brand shiny new have dropped off considerably because as a new player with just the gree guidelines the game is now too convoluted to figure out.

As someone who has built a number of LLPs recently I can take advantage of a number of things I know about the game such as defece buildings being useless as well as unit buildings for the most part in the opening stages. Even valor units have limited appeal since you have to level up the second round of unit buildings.

Putting a brand new LLP into a small faction in WD is a fast track to ramp up stats. FL due to low to no income isn't as relevent. Actually I'm starting to wonder if money buildings are that useful any more since I stopped doing FL.

The dev effort would be far far better served by having a manager who looked at the game overall and actually fixed it with a long term vision so that buildings and cash/valor units were relevent.

Also fixing the numerous issues that still plague the game.

Agent Orange
04-28-2015, 04:37 AM
J

I'd say you have 6 months, then all units older that 18 months (6 months warning plus 12 months anniversary) all units in your inventory older than 18 months go. Then the rolling 12 month shelf life on units kicks in.
-
Otherwise I'd say get your fork, this game is done.

Given grees track record for screwing even simple things up do you really think something as potentially complicated as this would work. Also if up till now gree did not tag units with an in service date how would they back date older non tagged units.

In fact the more I think of it the more I would bet that units may not be tagged with a creation date other then the one when first designed by the artist so imaging how messed up it will be when units like valor units disappear the second you drop them in inventory.

Please please please put a fork in this idea before some greenius actually tries to impliment it.

Helios Von Elisar
04-28-2015, 04:39 AM
Newbies always have a chance. They are not competing against the whales, unless it's WD and they are fortunate enough to get into a faction that will be battling them. But then again, what whale wants to hit a newbie for minimal points.

I have a lot of indestructible units, I prefer they live up to their name.

sstuutss
04-28-2015, 07:28 AM
I don't like the idea. New players get some major advantages because of stat inflation. Most of the LLPs I've created in the past month are catching up stat wise to my 3 year ols LLPs raw stat wise. I do suspect that something unit or graphic wise in my oldest player accounts is what keeps triggering lock outs but expirey dates on units probably would not fix this.

So your current players are catching up with your inactive players, and thats a bad thing? (well it is in one sense as it is an example of the hyper inf it would be nice to put a stop to), Just how long do you think inactive players shouldnstay in front?

Though you are talking about raw stats. It's more about the perm boosts. How are your noobies going v your 3 years olds re boosts? and how are your noobies doing against active players?
Though as I siad earlier I think.its to late for ths sort of change now. If there had never been perm boosts no one would known any different. Now they will squeal like stuck pigs if they are taken away. Not so sure I'd blame them, but failing that I only see one other outcome.

Sadly I again on the chances of gree rolling this out without a major gree-up, but its not like we've not dealt with gree-ups in pretty much every other thing they do.

Agent Orange
04-28-2015, 08:02 AM
So your current players are catching up with your inactive players, and thats a bad thing? (well it is in one sense as it is an example of the hyper inf it would be nice to put a stop to), Just how long do you think inactive players shouldnstay in front?

Though you are talking about raw stats. It's more about the perm boosts. How are your noobies going v your 3 years olds re boosts? and how are your noobies doing against active players?
Though as I siad earlier I think.its to late for ths sort of change now. If there had never been perm boosts no one would known any different. Now they will squeal like stuck pigs if they are taken away. Not so sure I'd blame them, but failing that I only see one other outcome.

Sadly I again on the chances of gree rolling this out without a major gree-up, but its not like we've not dealt with gree-ups in pretty much every other thing they do.

Heck no! If my theories are correct I can score more WD points using equivalent stat LLPs that are at a much much lower level. Oddly though that hasn't exactly been the case where I thought i would have had massive WD points when a L30 takes out a L150 it was on average only 350-450 points. I would have expected much higher points given how much some of the top teams are scoring and how WD points were distributed up till now. My L280 takes down L50s and gets 150 WD points.

I do fire up all my players to farm FLTQs though so they are not totally inactive. Plus the fact that linking causes lockouts so I wind up having them stuck on a fleet of iPods and old iPads. I wish I had thought to put them on a few Memo pads instead.

I think those with older boost units would rightfully have a GREEvance since they would have likely spent real money to get them. Way back I did spend a small amount when I felt the goal was worth it which were boost units. As indifferent as I am now I am loath to GREE suddenly changing yet another aspect of the game without thinking through the consequences.

And yes the likelyhood of this working is pretty slim especially if up to now they didn't tag the units with an 'in use' date and why would they since it would have just been extra data to track that wasn't nessessary.

Now another potential negative aspect of this is when would the game scan for expired units. My guess would be on startup of the app and we already suspect that part of the current slow load time is because gree is scanning for illegal units and other abnormalities with the account. So how much more overhead would this use?

Also image what would happen if your boost units suddenly expired during WD and you didn't know it! No there is just too much downside to this idea.

Ajk
04-28-2015, 08:07 AM
It's been tried before in the aspect of "temporary bonuses". Not sure that went over very well since you essentially had to pay for something that would disappear in a couple weeks. Short answer is NO. BAD IDEA.

good gawd noooo
04-28-2015, 01:20 PM
There are 2 things wrong though. The new boost buildings provide really large boost. That with 20 levels provides 80% to my unit boost, which are large. Another thing that may work is completely remove ALL units from that epic boss and compensate all the players with gold for them. Something like 5 gold a unit, which would be fair since a lot of use spend the whole 6 day event farming. Those 2 things are the problem. I would even go as far to say nerf the new unit buildings and reduce the levels to 10 and also compensate those players.

As for new players, I was thinking maybe start them off with a unit worth 5 or 10 billion attack and defense and let them go from there.

no matter HOW you try to slice It people have to give up something as for new boost buildings personally I love my defense increase but really that is another of the biggest problems all the new boost buildings need to be pulled or reduced(at the very least) to just one. Pidge I have talked with you before and I actualy think your a kool guy.. but reality of current game is everyone is either going to lose everything(game shuts down) or the players are going to lose some things(to balance out the field). I unfortunately believe that the way things have turned out has been gree's plan all along.. they are not in for long haul just fast profit and burn to ground and do it again with different game... but seriously this game could live another year or longer if some serious triage was done.. and no matter how you slice it all but the newest players would have to sacrifice some serious stats and boost and maybe even units/buildings to give new players a reason to even think of picking up this game.. as stated before current environment for newbs is like one man with knife fighting a countrys army with all the high tech gear possible.. and NO PLACE TO HIDE to try stealth work

SneekyCarrot
04-28-2015, 01:51 PM
When changing the game, I think the guiding principle should be: "Adding decisions that the player can make without making the game more difficult to understand". That is to say, if there is always an obvious right answer, there isn't much depth to the game. At the same time, it should be pretty obvious the benefits and the consequences of an action such that the player can decide what they want to risk.

With that in mind, losing units over time makes sense to me but I think I'd prefer it to be a function of losses to battle as opposed to losses due to an arbitrary time. If I were king for a day, I would remove the invulnerable tag from all units and only apply bonuses for units in the active army. This would allow a few things to happen:
- Decisions would have to be made for risk vs benefit. Do you risk having one of your energy regen units available for loss while you increase energy regen for your FLTQ?
- More/better bonuses could be available since there wouldn't be endless stacking. It would still be painful to lose a +5% health unit, but it wouldn't be end of the world since the ability to get another one could be in reach.
- Top players still have something to reach for, without unlimited bonuses that +10% from masters makes a meaningful difference over getting 5% for prestige.
- New players aren't forever behind since attrition over time will hold everyone back
- More decisions about PVP elements. Attacking someone means risking something you care about.

Speed ump
04-28-2015, 01:54 PM
Orange, I agree about trying to add a new elemnt like that to the game. We all know the track record for introducing new elements, and it's not been pretty, nor successful in the majority of the cases. I can only imagine what adding something like that would do. Here's a mental image. Remeber the movie dr strange love? Remeber the guy riding the bomb down? Get the feeling that guy is you/us? Lol

Danger Mouse
04-28-2015, 03:39 PM
Orange, I agree about trying to add a new elemnt like that to the game. We all know the track record for introducing new elements, and it's not been pretty, nor successful in the majority of the cases. I can only imagine what adding something like that would do. Here's a mental image. Remeber the movie dr strange love? Remeber the guy riding the bomb down? Get the feeling that guy is you/us? Lol

Dude, don't know if you realise this, but you're already waving your hat and yeehawing into oblivion.
-
I'm just trying to think of a way to avoid that. What's you're suggestion? Sticking your head in the sand and pretending nothing needs to change isn't an option.

Danger Mouse
04-28-2015, 03:42 PM
When changing the game, I think the guiding principle should be: "Adding decisions that the player can make without making the game more difficult to understand". That is to say, if there is always an obvious right answer, there isn't much depth to the game. At the same time, it should be pretty obvious the benefits and the consequences of an action such that the player can decide what they want to risk.

With that in mind, losing units over time makes sense to me but I think I'd prefer it to be a function of losses to battle as opposed to losses due to an arbitrary time. If I were king for a day, I would remove the invulnerable tag from all units and only apply bonuses for units in the active army. This would allow a few things to happen:
- Decisions would have to be made for risk vs benefit. Do you risk having one of your energy regen units available for loss while you increase energy regen for your FLTQ?
- More/better bonuses could be available since there wouldn't be endless stacking. It would still be painful to lose a +5% health unit, but it wouldn't be end of the world since the ability to get another one could be in reach.
- Top players still have something to reach for, without unlimited bonuses that +10% from masters makes a meaningful difference over getting 5% for prestige.
- New players aren't forever behind since attrition over time will hold everyone back
- More decisions about PVP elements. Attacking someone means risking something you care about.

A fixed timeframe is best. Who would spend gold to get a unit and then risk losing it in the next 30 seconds? That'd kill the game deader than a dodo in about 2 days flat as revenue falls off a cliff.

Pidgeot
04-28-2015, 04:20 PM
no matter HOW you try to slice It people have to give up something as for new boost buildings personally I love my defense increase but really that is another of the biggest problems all the new boost buildings need to be pulled or reduced(at the very least) to just one. Pidge I have talked with you before and I actualy think your a kool guy.. but reality of current game is everyone is either going to lose everything(game shuts down) or the players are going to lose some things(to balance out the field). I unfortunately believe that the way things have turned out has been gree's plan all along.. they are not in for long haul just fast profit and burn to ground and do it again with different game... but seriously this game could live another year or longer if some serious triage was done.. and no matter how you slice it all but the newest players would have to sacrifice some serious stats and boost and maybe even units/buildings to give new players a reason to even think of picking up this game.. as stated before current environment for newbs is like one man with knife fighting a countrys army with all the high tech gear possible.. and NO PLACE TO HIDE to try stealth work

I understand that but the biggest problems were epic boss loot and the combination of the new boost buildings. With my boost, every 26m air unit I got ended up adding 850m attack. I have 189 of that unit, not counting the other units from raid boss. A 26m unit went to 850m with the aid of the boost building. Get rid or those and or nerf them and stats go down. I think new players can still get into the game but they dont have much opportunity for decent boost.