PDA

View Full Version : Advertisement Emails from Gree

Weasel
04-24-2015, 03:58 PM
I have been receiving emails from Gree advertising various Gree games and I did not sign up for these emails.

Unsolicited spam email is illegal in my country. Just FYI, Gree, you guys are illegally spamming my inbox with unsolicited advertisements. Perhaps it is unintentional, I certainly hope so, but maybe someone should look into it before you get into trouble over it.

You're welcome for the heads up.

1Shot
04-24-2015, 07:40 PM
When you sign up on the website it may automatically send your email that you signed with. I'm sure you can unsubscribe to the emails.

Oasis
04-24-2015, 07:50 PM
it may

Thanks for the clarification

Weasel
04-24-2015, 07:51 PM
That is still an unsolicited advertisement to which laws in this country require prior consent. I have not consented to be notified of any Gree developments, and to be perfectly clear, a confirmation of website membership is not what I am talking about. I am specifically referring to advertisements for products (various games) in which I have absolutely no interest and did not register to receive. The ability to unsibscribe is irrelevant in that regard, but I can assure you I have unsubscribed on several occasions in the past week alone.

I am only posting this on the forum because I do not wish to communicate with Gree via email, and their unsolicited content landing in my inbox is a violation of the laws in this country.

Please understand to what you are replying before posting irrelevant information, sir. I appreciate the good intentions, but your reply does not address the actual issue here.

wibble4321
04-24-2015, 11:38 PM
I have been receiving emails from Gree advertising various Gree games and I did not sign up for these emails.

Unsolicited spam email is illegal in my country. Just FYI, Gree, you guys are illegally spamming my inbox with unsolicited advertisements. Perhaps it is unintentional, I certainly hope so, but maybe someone should look into it before you get into trouble over it.

If you don't mind me asking, which country do you mean/reside in?

Gr3g
04-25-2015, 12:24 AM
lol if he answers that this thread will most likely get locked...

It is crucial to not give or ask for personal information in the game or on the forum.

Weasel
04-25-2015, 02:26 AM

I do mind your asking. Nunya bidness.

lol if he answers that this thread will most likely get locked...

This thread can be locked once the information has been shared with whomever can actually make use of it. I don't really care about the emails themselves, as annoying and unsolicited as they may be. But it would be a shame if carelessness or ignorance were to get Gree into a situation where they were issued fines or faced further penalties.

sister morphine
04-25-2015, 02:43 AM
I've had one of these. It's not a big deal to ignore/delete/whatever, but I'm not sure automated email generators can tell what country you're living in.

Max Power
04-25-2015, 06:05 AM
He is from Canada. I would like to see a copy of these spam laws, and evidence of any penalty for it. Those would be some overwhelming laws to enforce, if their is any actual penalty.

Weasel
04-25-2015, 06:25 AM
The penalty for businesses in violation of the law is a $10,000,000 fine plus $200 per offence.

Posting personal information, about yourself or others, is also a violation of the forum CoC.

I've had one of these. It's not a big deal to ignore/delete/whatever, but I'm not sure automated email generators can tell what country you're living in.

Which is why it's not difficult to ask if people want to receive automated emails at all. I never signed up for anything, never agreed to receive new or updates about future offers, never even gave Gree the email address they are spamming. I'm not mad, I'm just trying to help them out by letting them know about a gremlin in their system that could cost them millions.

Perin
04-25-2015, 06:32 AM
Try eating breakfast

TheJess
04-25-2015, 06:33 AM
Many Western countries have anti-spam laws. To avoid violations of such laws is the reason most legit websites have opt in tick boxes these days, rather than opt out. I received the recent unrequested advertisement email from Gree games as well.

Weasel
04-25-2015, 06:36 AM
Many Western countries have anti-spam laws. To avoid violations of such laws is the reason most legit websites have opt in tick boxes days, rather than opt out. I received the recent unrequested advertisement email from Gree games as well.

Precisely. The opt-in is not a new feature, and I have not opted in for anything from Gree.

I know if I were unaware of an issue that could potentially cost me millions in fines I would appreciate someone letting me know. It's rather humorous that there are individuals here who think I am upset or that there is some sort of debate to be had.

The sole purpose of this thread is to act as an FYI notice to Gree. If others are experiencing the same unsolicited emails, I am sure they would appreciate having that posted here so they can be aware the issue is more widespread than a few isolated occurrences.

Weasel
04-25-2015, 06:38 AM
Try eating breakfast

Lol. Try getting a clue. Have a splendid weekend. Good day.

sister morphine
04-25-2015, 06:44 AM
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighting_Internet_and_Wireless_Spam_Act

Hope you will correct the wiki entry if it's wrong, but going by that it would seem your consent is implicit by having engaged in a transaction with the company. I've not studied any small print that might be on the email sent to me, but if there is no "opt out" link, then Gree should add one so people can choose not to receive.

It would be impossible to have a banket ban on advertising email shots as Weasel suggests. Any Amazon customer will be aware how many they send out.

Perin
04-25-2015, 07:08 AM
If you ate breakfast you wouldnt be so grouchy.

Weasel
04-25-2015, 07:36 AM
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighting_Internet_and_Wireless_Spam_Act

Hope you will correct the wiki entry if it's wrong, but going by that it would seem your consent is implicit by having engaged in a transaction with the company. I've not studied any small print that might be on the email sent to me, but if there is no "opt out" link, then Gree should add one so people can choose not to receive.

It would be impossible to have a banket ban on advertising email shots as Weasel suggests. Any Amazon customer will be aware how many they send out.

A transaction involves a purchase or business deal. I have performed no such actions with Gree, though even if I had, all transactions with Gree are done via Apple (on my device), and as such, are not technically transactions with Gree. This would also explain why people get emails from Amazon. I've never signed up for nor made a transaction with Amazon and have not once received unsolicited emails from that company.

The banket ban, whatever that is, is really quite simple. It's the same as having your telephone number registered with the do-not-call directory. Telemarketers who call anyways, and they do despite it being in total disregard of your status on a do-not-call list, are subject to fines. Fines are and have been issued. Non-payment of fines has further consequences not involving the consumer or party who has been unwillingly contacted.

Max Power
04-25-2015, 07:41 AM
The penalty for businesses in violation of the law is a $10,000,000 fine plus $200 per offence.

Posting personal information, about yourself or others, is also a violation of the forum CoC.

How did I know where you were from? Because you have posted it, braniac. If you truly have a problem with it, don't post personal information.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_w5CVwbFM4&feature=youtu.be

This video is a small primer. It states that you must have express or implied consent. Implied consent leaves a lot of gray area, and mere participation in any of their games could be construed as implied consent.

But, that isn't what all this is about, is it?

TheJess
04-25-2015, 07:47 AM
Hmmmm. Some of these comments sound like they're from the guy who thinks he's a lawyer or surgeon after staying at Holiday Inn Express. ...in their ad

Weasel
04-25-2015, 07:50 AM
and mere participation in any of their games could be construed as implied consent.

I've never given Gree the email address they are spamming, I haven't engaged in any transactions or business deals with them since this law came into effect, and I have not opted in for news or updates of any Gree products with any email address, so it doesn't really matter what games I've played.

Again, laughable that this is a debate to some people. It is a statement of "this has occurred" and "this actions bares potential consequences." I do hope Gree was unaware of, or at least did not intend for, unsolicited emails being sent to people who don't want them, and if they were indeed unaware it would be helpful for them if they became aware.

I do enjoy being able to participate in Crime City, and I wouldn't really want anything to happen that suddenly means Gree games are no longer offered here. They have been removed from other markets in the past, and they have not returned to those markets.

Rodimus
04-25-2015, 08:02 AM
I'm sure you can unsubscribe to the emails.

Extras...+1

Perin
04-25-2015, 08:49 AM
Maybe you should quit playing or follow through and get the game taken out of YOUR market. Then you can eat breakfast also

Weasel
04-25-2015, 08:58 AM
Maybe you should quit playing or follow through and get the game taken out of YOUR market. Then you can eat breakfast also

Troll level: amateur.

fan139
04-25-2015, 09:01 AM
Troll level: amateur.

This reply amused me - that is all.

Gingeasian
04-25-2015, 09:48 AM
I have a question for a certain person in this thread but as it is against the CoC I will not name them, we will call this person...measal. Measal, why do you feel the need to always be so negative on these forums? Why did you feel the need to post this thread and drag it on when your question was answered in the first comment by a moderator? If you did not believe that he answered your question sufficiently, the why continue to waste you time here? Instead you could have simply blocked the email address or marked it as spam.

Also, please don't waste your time correcting any grammer mistakes as it is childish and not related to anything, I did not major in english in college.

Bad Fish
04-25-2015, 10:38 AM
Good day.

Good day to you sir.

cooch
04-25-2015, 11:21 AM
I have a question for a certain person in this thread but as it is against the CoC I will not name them, we will call this person...measal. Measal, why do you feel the need to always be so negative on these forums? Why did you feel the need to post this thread and drag it on when your question was answered in the first comment by a moderator? If you did not believe that he answered your question sufficiently, the why continue to waste you time here? Instead you could have simply blocked the email address or marked it as spam.

Also, please don't waste your time correcting any grammer mistakes as it is childish and not related to anything, I did not major in english in college.

He is trying to be dippy jr. Also he is handing out free lemonade for cc readers. Feel free to drink as much as you can.

cooch
04-25-2015, 11:23 AM
How did I know where you were from? Because you have posted it, braniac. If you truly have a problem with it, don't post personal information.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_w5CVwbFM4&feature=youtu.be

This video is a small primer. It states that you must have express or implied consent. Implied consent leaves a lot of gray area, and mere participation in any of their games could be construed as implied consent.

But, that isn't what all this is about, is it?

Correct, on both accounts, max.

Sandhawk
04-25-2015, 11:49 PM

This made me lol...

Red BD
04-26-2015, 09:02 PM
Well, IMHO, the original poster has a good point.
While I have never received such an ad (to my knowledge- First thing I do daily is rid my mail of unsolicited junk, although I think I'd look if it was from my good friend Gree).
But I would hope that any moderator who chanced upon this thread would send it up the chain of command whether or not he/she felt it was serious.
I am NOT suggesting how moderators should moderate. Just stating my hope... For what might make a better game and a better Gree.

Captain Torgue
04-26-2015, 10:12 PM

Nigeria

Have I told you that you great uncle recently passed away here and we tracked you down as his next of kin?

You have inherited $60 million which will be deposited into your account. Please pay me the transfer fee of $10k and I will have the money into your account within the next 48 hours.

Gungho
04-27-2015, 02:39 AM
It seems I opted in when I send a ticket... I would much rather have a reply on my ticket :-( (14 days is not reasonable!)

Relic
04-27-2015, 10:59 AM

I've replied to your PM addressing this thread, Weasel.

Thanks for the clarification

That is still an unsolicited advertisement to which laws in this country require prior consent. I have not consented to be notified of any Gree developments, and to be perfectly clear, a confirmation of website membership is not what I am talking about. I am specifically referring to advertisements for products (various games) in which I have absolutely no interest and did not register to receive. The ability to unsibscribe is irrelevant in that regard, but I can assure you I have unsubscribed on several occasions in the past week alone.

I am only posting this on the forum because I do not wish to communicate with Gree via email, and their unsolicited content landing in my inbox is a violation of the laws in this country.

Please understand to what you are replying before posting irrelevant information, sir. I appreciate the good intentions, but your reply does not address the actual issue here.

Respect for the volunteer moderators is in rules of this forum. Please adhere to them.

Many of you know this, but many may not: the volunteer moderators do not work for GREE, they are here to help Community staff manage the forums. The reply offered here was to offer assistance, there is absolutely no reason to be impolite to them for this.

He is from Canada. I would like to see a copy of these spam laws, and evidence of any penalty for it. Those would be some overwhelming laws to enforce, if their is any actual penalty.

It was stated earlier in the thread that Weasel didn't want to answer where he is from. If, in fact, he has stated where he is from previously, he mentioned he didn't want it posted in this thread and that should be respected.

But, you did name them, really. Something like this should be addressed by PM to a Community Manager or Moderator in the future.

Everyone: Any emails that come from GREE will have an unsubscribe option. If you are not receiving that option, then I'd be wary of it.

I'm locking this thread since it's no longer serving its intended purpose and has gotten rather unpleasant.

Thank you.