PDA

View Full Version : Definition of Flaming

John_Locke
03-26-2015, 04:14 PM
Flaming
Noun

1.To engage in an online argument usually involving unfounded personal attacks by one or more parties.

2.An online argument that becomes nasty or derisive, where insulting a party to the discussion takes precedence over the objective merits of one side or another.

Picking on someone is not "flaming." Quoting someone and laughing about what they posted is not "naming and shaming."

As the community can plainly see, quoting and picking on members of this forum falls far below the 'flaming' threshold; flaming, as can plainly be seen, is characterized by completely putting aside the issues and viciously attacking one's opponent with idiotic or nonsensical arguments, usually in reference to a close maternal relative our the individual's sexual orientation. Wordplay based on deliberate misunderstanding obviously doesn't fall into this category.

Come on, Relic. (Now, that's naming and shaming!)

Killa Cali
03-26-2015, 04:32 PM
Be careful what you say in this forum. With genius 1shot now a mod he can shut down any thread he wants.

Dipstik
03-26-2015, 04:42 PM
They can shut down anything for any reason... But it's frustrating when there are (supposedly) clear rules that are rendered meaningless. It's clear that "naming and shaming" is a cutesie name for the rule that you can't accuse people of cheating on the forum. That's been the rule since before any of the current mods got here. Applying that rule to quoting someone's forum post and responding to it is absurd.

TheJess
03-26-2015, 05:19 PM
Just seems like the mods are trying to go back to the days when this forum was useful. I support that effort , and do not believe hyper technical debate on what is flaming or is not flaming promotes that goal.

Dipstik
03-26-2015, 05:32 PM
You must be new here...

Vile Lynn
03-26-2015, 05:34 PM
I agree, there was no flaming by defInition. (I looked it up, too.)
I thought it was all "in fun."

That final post was patronizing and unnecessary, which could be also loosely called flaming, or even trolling, iMHO, if we want to be that touchy.

Got to earn respect to get it.

Killa Cali
03-26-2015, 05:46 PM
I agree, there was no flaming by defInition. (I looked it up, too.)
I thought it was all "in fun."

That final post was patronizing and unnecessary, which could be also loosely called flaming, or even trolling, iMHO, if we want to be that touchy.

Got to earn respect to get it.

Quoted for truth.

Winnson
03-26-2015, 09:45 PM
Lol! This forum caters to the special snowflakes, thin-skinned and weak of heart!

aarondavidsdad
03-26-2015, 09:57 PM
I've always thought genius was a complimentary term. Didn't one of the mods correctly predict that flaming, however he or she is defining it, would take place? And it did! That takes some amount of genius. Not sure why the infraction. I'm sure the term was meant in the most uplifting manner.

HavingFun
03-26-2015, 10:02 PM
With genius 1shot now a mod.

I'm still laughing.....

HavingFun
03-26-2015, 10:03 PM
With genius 1shot now a mod.

I'm still laughing.....

Perin
03-26-2015, 10:07 PM
Be careful what you say in this forum. With genius 1shot now a mod he can shut down any thread he wants.

Now im laughing

oderus_urungus
03-27-2015, 12:35 AM
no good swing that way who flamer?

make easy for feeling especially

sister morphine
03-27-2015, 02:01 AM
It's like the ghost of CCM ;)

Dat Guy
03-27-2015, 05:46 AM
no good swing that way who flamer?

make easy for feeling especially

Quoted for truth!

Relic
03-27-2015, 09:58 AM
I'm closing the thread.

First off, no one should ever post an infraction that was issued to them publicly. If you have a problem with the way I manage the community, contact Clem via PM and let her know.

Second, the disrespect toward moderators on this forum has become unnecessarily rampant. I don't know how many times Clem and I have asked that if you have an issue with the way one of our volunteer moderators does their job, you should come to Clementine or me about it in a PM. We will review their posts and correct them if we feel it's deserved. Still, though, snide comments and disrespect continues in spite of our requests forcing us to enforce the rules - which shouldn't be a surprise.

I'd disagree that the moderators and staff are thin-skinned. We're trying to make the forums an efficient and pleasant place and enforcing the rules is integral to achieving that goal. Clem and I are the only two paid staff here, and there are a lot of games to manage - we do the best we can with the resources we have. We're just trying to our jobs.

Every time someone goes off-topic or breaks our rules we have to take time away from advocating for the community. It's in everyone's best interest to discourage unsavory behavior here, as it just derails us from communicating with the developers and, in turn, you.

Thanks.