PDA

View Full Version : Can't defend them this time.....

robmurphy
03-17-2015, 07:43 AM
In almost every post I've ever made on this forum, I've defended Gree.

Gree are a business, and the raison d'etre of a business is to make money (hopefully profitably). Therefore Gree can do anything they like to make us part with our hard earned cash.

Similarly in almost every post I've ever made on this forum, I've argued against those who whinge and whine about how evil Gree are and that they hate the game....blah, blah, blah. To those people I say again, if you're gonna quit, quit - don't threaten that you're gonna quit (we don't care), just quit. Gree does not put a gun to your head and make you spend money.

However, for the first time ever, I'm going to go against Gree with their persistence on pushing seven-day WD events.

REMEMBERING THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION, but the reason I play MW, and the reason I spend quite a lot of money doing it, is because I find it very enjoyable. My definition of a hobby is doing something you enjoy. But for the first time ever, I can truthfully say I am getting no enjoyment out of a key event in the MW calendar.

Three-day wars are pretty intense, as are the new format of three-day Frontline events, but they're still pretty enjoyable. I haven't enjoyed any part of this (and the December) seven-day WD event. It feels too much like a 'job' than a hobby. It's not the extra spending that is taking the enjoyment out of the game, that's something we who spend accept we have to do - it's the fact that we are in a 168 hour non-stop event. It's just too much.

I am not, and never will be one of the moaning, boring, whinging people who spend all their time *****ing about a hobby they don't seem to be able to let go of. I have always enjoyed this game, and if/when my enjoyment stops, I stop playing. These seven-day events are very likely to be the straw that breaks this camels back.

So, I'm just throwing out my thoughts as someone who's played for a long time, spent a lot of money and is very active in the game. I have never seen such genuine displeasure from people within my faction and other gamers I know over this format. These people aren't the whinging masses, they don't need to come in here and complain. Like me, they'll quit if they lose the enjoyment factor. I'm not there yet, but for the first time I see clouds on my MW horizon.

I'm not asking for any responses to this, it's just a stream of my consciousness whilst I sip a delightful Starbucks latte (another hobby I enjoy and spend too much money on).

1 day, 4 hours and 19 minutes left........................

NO_BS
03-17-2015, 08:01 AM
Oxford definitions -

Game: an activity that one engages in for amusement.

Amusement: The provision or enjoyment of entertainment.

Tee
03-17-2015, 09:12 AM
You just used up all your at a boys for Gree in one complaint post. You are now in the bla bla bla whining cry baby bunch.

sister morphine
03-17-2015, 09:16 AM
Gree are a business, and the raison d'etre of a business is to make money (hopefully profitably). Therefore Gree can do anything they like to make us part with our hard earned cash.
I disagree with your emphasis. The purpose of a business is to provide a product or service to customers first, and make a profit from that. If the product is good, customers will approve and the money will follow. The business will grow.

If the emphasis becomes making money first, and not caring too much if the product falls below acceptable standards then sooner or later the money will go elsewhere. A bad company will be found out eventually.

Kefa
03-17-2015, 09:22 AM
I completely agree. I was loathing this 7-day event as it approached and was pretty worried about keeping 59 other people motivated enough throughout the length of it to keep our rank. Add that the first 2-3 days were wrought with problems, and not being able to even log in for nearly a whole day - I nearly did quit on day 3 of this event. I came back after they fixed the login issue, and while we bounced back and are doing pretty well in the event overall, I have to admit, it hasn't been fun. I really do wish they would take some time and fix some of the ongoing bugs and issues before launching into any more events.

The game has some compelling and unique elements that make it both challenging and fun, especially when you're with a good team. But the bugs and broken parts of it sap the fun out of the parts that are fun, and I keep playing due to some misplaced hope that they'll fix some of these many broken things that reduce the fun factor.

Agent Orange
03-17-2015, 12:26 PM
Rob and Kefa, I totally agree with what you are saying. One of the more interesting spin offs of this comedy of errors is that I don't care! When I first started to play ever time my base got raided I would get upset and take it personally. Slowly as I came to my senses I lost that connection to the game in that if I got raided I didn't care now the point where I just leave my base dark.

Anyhow I think that once you break that feeling of being pissed off because you've been raided or attacked that is the first sign that their control over you is gone. They want you to feel this way so you will spend more to get even and feel 'good'. Granted hard to feel good when the thing is so badly broken.

sstuutss
03-17-2015, 12:50 PM
lol well then, I guess you either have some apologies to make or its time to stop whining and just quit. Wouldn't want to come across as a hypocrite after all.

Sheldor Sir
03-17-2015, 01:06 PM
can honestly say 7 day WD has not bothered me 1 little bit :-) left faction day 1 after finishing EB been chilling for a whole week, with no maps missions for accounts and nice extra energy cant wait til tomorrow to see just HOW many folders i've farmed logging on 3 times a day.

Mr llama
03-17-2015, 01:12 PM
I disagree with your emphasis. The purpose of a business is to provide a product or service to customers first, and make a profit from that. If the product is good, customers will approve and the money will follow. The business will grow.

If the emphasis becomes making money first, and not caring too much if the product falls below acceptable standards then sooner or later the money will go elsewhere. A bad company will be found out eventually.
Not for businesses that runs off addicts . Cigarette companies could start putting dog poop in there smokes and not lose a penny.

Theblacklamp
03-17-2015, 03:23 PM
I just want them to fix match ups. 36 matchups in a row against top 150 factions is a crock of crap. Highest stat player is 5 billion. No reason to be matched up against teams where the lowest player is 15 billion+

DEWIN NUTTIN
03-17-2015, 03:48 PM
Does it matter if its a 30 day WD, or other incessant, never ending strings amorphous events?
Not really, as it seems that every minute, of every hour, of every day that you CHOOSE to obey the tasks laid out for you by those you permit to direct your actions in this game; you'll be DEWIN SUMPIN.
So, seven day WD, or not, think of this game as a large cruise ship.
The friendly cruise director has planned your voyage to keep you occupied, engaged, and busied with things to take your mind off the real world.
With that said, ALL ABOARD for the LOVE BOAT cruise to nowhere!!!
Bon voyage, bonjour, bonsoir mon ami!!!

slgreenwell
03-17-2015, 05:40 PM
@ Kefa. When did they fix the log in issue. I'm still having trouble

Danger Mouse
03-17-2015, 08:28 PM
Rob, when you post that no one makes anyone pay or play, and then say that you just accept that spending more money is just what you have to do to participate........... doesn't make sense dude. You are locked in a downward logic spiral there my friend.
-
As you say, if you don't like what Gree "make" you do - like 7 day events that are here to stay as they know that you guys that just accept that you now have to spend even more money just to tread water, and will - then quit buddy. You will feel a lot better. If for no other reason than you wont have to shoulder the burden of defending the indefensible.

iamnasty
03-17-2015, 08:49 PM
The money, time and so is the choice is yours ☠.........moo™������

Seph
03-17-2015, 08:52 PM

Sorry, but you are wrong... the sole purpose of a business is to make money. If that means the top 10% of spenders need to support the game, so be it. Gree is not a charity, they are not here to offer free service and rewards, the employees are working individuals and their livelihood depends on profit.

I'm not trying to support the faults that have come about, I only say that you are wrong when trying to describe the goal of a business.

Pidgeot
03-17-2015, 08:55 PM
GREE is the equivalent of the **** you want to take but it wont come out so you end up stuck with it.

Ajk
03-18-2015, 05:41 AM
I stopped spending a long time ago, going on two years almost. I put this game in the same category as driving down the road and seeing an accident. You just have to slow down and look. You just have to see the destruction of what has and is unfolding. You can't help but hang in there and watch what transpires. As many times as you stop and get out and try to help it is futile, they don't want your help, just your money.

Agent Orange
03-18-2015, 07:18 AM
I stopped spending a long time ago, going on two years almost. I put this game in the same category as driving down the road and seeing an accident. You just have to slow down and look. You just have to see the destruction of what has and is unfolding. You can't help but hang in there and watch what transpires. As many times as you stop and get out and try to help it is futile, they don't want your help, just your money.

Yup, it is fascinating isn't it.

WBS
03-18-2015, 07:41 AM
Sorry, but you are wrong... the sole purpose of a business is to make money. If that means the top 10% of spenders need to support the game, so be it. Gree is not a charity, they are not here to offer free service and rewards, the employees are working individuals and their livelihood depends on profit.

I'm not trying to support the faults that have come about, I only say that you are wrong when trying to describe the goal of a business.

It all depends on the moral ground of the said business. Businesses you want to keep shopping at or purchasing services from usually have a better moral standing and place more emphasis on customer satisfaction and trust. I deal face to face with people each day and I wouldn't have any income if I operated with the type of customer help gree dishes out. When people put money first over quality customers easily can see that. Profit is the main priority of a business I agree, I just believe that customers will be much more willing to continue doing business if you treat them more importantly than you treat profit.

CC1
03-18-2015, 08:50 AM
It all depends on the moral ground of the said business. Businesses you want to keep shopping at or purchasing services from usually have a better moral standing and place more emphasis on customer satisfaction and trust. I deal face to face with people each day and I wouldn't have any income if I operated with the type of customer help gree dishes out. When people put money first over quality customers easily can see that. Profit is the main priority of a business I agree, I just believe that customers will be much more willing to continue doing business if you treat them more importantly than you treat profit.

Well said. In my past life I worked for a Fortune 25 company. It was founded by two people that followed the philosophy “if you take care of the customer, the profits will come”. Boy were they right. When they retired, the company boasted the most millionaire employees (from stock options) than any other company in the world. There were thousands of rank and file store employees that were millionaires. I was fortunate enough to work in a group that did the forecasting of growth initiatives - basically, building spreadsheets. In almost every meeting, the founders would review the spreadsheet results and whether positive or negative would ask “but is it right for the customer?”. If the spreadsheets were positive but the answer was no, it was abandoned. Likewise, if the numbers showed higher costs or lower sales but it was right for the customer, it was approved.

When those two retired and handed over the reins, the new guy was a quantitative, spreadsheet only type. Whatever the spreadsheets said, is what got done or dismissed with no thought of unintended consequences. I wish I could name the company here because everyone (in the U.S. and Canada) would know them. One initiatives involved labor costs. They use to hire store associates that were experienced experts in their fields to advise and assist customers. And they paid them well. In an effort to reduce labor costs, a plan was initiated to hire inexperienced people for lower wages and put them in front of a computer for a couple of days to learn the ins and outs of the product department in which they would be working. Of course, the spreadsheets showed a lower cost/improved profit. “Old school” officers tried to add some qualitative opinions. It was ignored and customer service fell off a cliff. Anyone here that used them before and after could testify to the decline. As a result the bottom line also suffered.

Another involved inventory management to reduce carrying costs by carrying fewer units. Again, the spreadsheets said it would be great but couldn’t account for the lost revenue from frequent out-of-stocks where customers had to go to a competitor to get what they needed. In the beginning of my new career I frequently tried to patronize them going out of my way if necessary instead of using the competitor. That reversed when I finally realized I’d always be making two trips instead of one.

I left about 14 years ago. I stopped following them five years later when I exercised the last of my stock options. They were still profitable mind you, but stagnant in profit and stock growth. A quick review of Gree’s own investor relations publications and stock history shows similar trends even as they double-down on native game development.

Ozymandias
03-18-2015, 09:52 AM
This war has been as much fun as writing alimony cheques.

Ajk
03-18-2015, 04:11 PM
This war has been as much fun as writing alimony cheques.

I declared three times and got a prize or two for free. How did you do?

1brent1
03-18-2015, 09:59 PM
I love it when we all complained before the first 7 day WD and GREE came on here to say, "don't worry we've made changes so that it will be more relaxed then a normal 3 day WD".

I wish I can find that post. Relaxed my ass, it took the fun out of the game. If it wasn't for the upcoming skill point reset I was about to finally quite after playing 3 years.

HellRaizer
03-19-2015, 01:01 AM
I believe this was the first communication ever about it

Making the event more tournament style is an idea we've kicked around in the past, and I do think it would be cool, but I also think it really becomes a different event at that point. It's something we'll consider in the future.

As far as the weeklong WD, this was largely my idea. The thinking was that with the three year anniversary, new features coming out, and the event being in the USA this time that this would be a fun and exciting time to kick the war up a notch. I know a lot of top factions do fight hard in these events, but to be honest I'm surprised by the level of reaction in the forums towards the event. This is designed to be a fun and celebratory event, but please know that we are listening to your feedback on this, as well as feedback we get away from the forums and what we view on the usage data within the game.

http://forums.gree.net/showthread.php?102454-AMA-Ask-The-Developer-Anything-December-4th&p=1429698&viewfull=1#post1429698

Ozymandias
03-19-2015, 01:06 AM
What were we celebrating this time? Gree quarter end?

WBS
03-19-2015, 07:48 AM
CC1- This is the reason why so many now view gree as a failing company, and their greed for money has become priority over customer satisfaction. Good luck to you in your future endeavors :)

Cannot Connect To Server
03-20-2015, 08:02 AM
yes 7 days was stupid so was match ups..we battled the same 6-7 teams abt 3-4 times a go...there are thousands of teams but we got same over and over.

and yes you are right wether gold or free player the events are too long and too many to rake the gold players its not fun its a job to play and get anywhr now.

rb used to be great but when they raised it so high its now pointless to play for thousands of players.