PDA

View Full Version : Gree Tactics Illegal in Japan (Old News?)

Comrade John
03-02-2015, 07:23 PM
http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/BetableBlog/20120525/171124/Why_quotKompu_Gachaquot_Was_Banned.php

So while discussing another game and a means for the game developers to squeeze out more money, I found out that in Japan the social game mechanic called Kompu Gacha was made illegal a few years ago. What is Kompu Gacha, you ask? Gacha is when you get a random prize by paying money. Kompu Gacha is when you get a grand prize for collecting a bunch of the random prizes. Sounds familiar, no?

That's right, that's EXACTLY how box events work. You can pay with virtual currency to open boxes, which sometimes give out random units. If you collect all those random units, you get a wrapper prize.

You could argue that's how Raid boss wrapper units also work, as it's random when you'll get the unit from a particular boss.

Seeing as how Gree is a JAPANESE company, and they are specifically mentioned in this post about how their games utilize such mechanics, how are they getting away with this?

Speed ump
03-02-2015, 07:28 PM
maybe it's only illegal in Japan.

Comrade John
03-02-2015, 07:31 PM
maybe it's only illegal in Japan.

Is this game not available in Japan? Also, I'm pretty sure if you are based in a country, your activities internationally still have to follow your country's laws.

But then again, American companies don't have to pay minimum wages to it's outsourced sweat shops, so thinking logically about this doesn't seem to work.

DEWIN NUTTIN
03-02-2015, 08:09 PM
http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/BetableBlog/20120525/171124/Why_quotKompu_Gachaquot_Was_Banned.php

So while discussing another game and a means for the game developers to squeeze out more money, I found out that in Japan the social game mechanic called Kompu Gacha was made illegal a few years ago. What is Kompu Gacha, you ask? Gacha is when you get a random prize by paying money. Kompu Gacha is when you get a grand prize for collecting a bunch of the random prizes. Sounds familiar, no?

That's right, that's EXACTLY how box events work. You can pay with virtual currency to open boxes, which sometimes give out random units. If you collect all those random units, you get a wrapper prize.

You could argue that's how Raid boss wrapper units also work, as it's random when you'll get the unit from a particular boss.

Seeing as how Gree is a JAPANESE company, and they are specifically mentioned in this post about how their games utilize such mechanics, how are they getting away with this?

LOL, This was published to this forum and initially discussed 20 odd months ago!!!!!

Comrade John
03-02-2015, 08:12 PM
LOL, This was published to this forum and initially discussed 20 odd months ago!!!!!

Hence why I posted this with the title (Old News?) formed as a question. :P Sorry for drudging up the past. How do they get away with it? Is this game not available in Japan?

NexusImperium
03-02-2015, 08:13 PM
Probably not illegal in the USA.

However, I think it's no different than gambling, and so companies like this ought to be required to disclose the odds of winning.

ezmunie
03-02-2015, 08:17 PM
The U.S. has no laws banning this and they've left it up to the states to make their own laws.

bam bam.
03-02-2015, 11:06 PM
Australia does have laws against children's games and gambling. However it has never been enforced nor has founding been given to any agency to go after offenders.

bam bam.
03-03-2015, 01:51 AM
*quote removed*

Read my signature...now

Kefa
03-03-2015, 09:41 AM
Yes, this is very old news. In fact, the threat of this legislation was apparently the motivation for Gree to branch into different gaming genres away from slot machine games and acquire funzio in the first place.

Greasy
03-03-2015, 09:52 AM
Laws are a funny little thing, many practices are illegal in part of the world but legal is many others. Legality doesn't make that practice "right" or "wrong", the law merely represents the view of legislators or what people view locally. I remember reading a week ago that in South Korea only just abolish a law that punishs adultery to 2 years prison term. If that is implemented in the US maybe 10% of adult population will be locked up.

Comrade John
03-03-2015, 11:29 AM
Laws are a funny little thing, many practices are illegal in part of the world but legal is many others. Legality doesn't make that practice "right" or "wrong", the law merely represents the view of legislators or what people view locally. I remember reading a week ago that in South Korea only just abolish a law that punishs adultery to 2 years prison term. If that is implemented in the US maybe 10% of adult population will be locked up.

yeah too bad it isnt illegal. i hate those scum.

Greasy
03-03-2015, 11:39 AM
yeah too bad it isnt illegal. i hate those scum.

The gambling nature of gaming or adultery ?

Comrade John
03-03-2015, 06:19 PM
The gambling nature of gaming or adultery ?

Is either wrong?

SunWuKong
03-03-2015, 11:53 PM
dont think this is applicable for MW.

Mr llama
03-04-2015, 12:51 AM
dont think this is applicable for MW.
Why wouldn't it be