PDA

View Full Version : Who would you like to see GReE sell modern war to?

bam bam.
03-01-2015, 04:44 PM
Maybe they should sell the game and give us a shot with another gaming company. They don't have a chance to save it, they don't have the decision making capacity to turn this ship around. Hopefully they sell it dirt cheap to an up and coming or a consistently performing gaming company. Any ideas on who you would like to see take the reigns?.

Personally, I'd like to buy it. I have $50.00 bucks for GReE and then I will put in a few hundred thousand Australian dollars to set up and try and save the game haha.

richie1105
03-01-2015, 04:50 PM
Gameloft, supercell or any other real game developers

bam bam.
03-01-2015, 05:11 PM
Supercell seem to release quality updates. I could get on board with that idea. Keep em coming guys!

Rolinz
03-01-2015, 06:12 PM
Anybody else would probably be a major improvement from current situation!

Pidgeot
03-01-2015, 06:14 PM
Any competent game developer would be nice.

major willy
03-01-2015, 07:50 PM
Anybody else would be awesome. Gree has been horrible for as long as I can remember. They like the giant cucumbers. :)

t12pm
03-01-2015, 07:58 PM
Anybody that has no ties or former employees of EA.

Cuombajj
03-01-2015, 11:20 PM
Funzio.....

Stumps
03-01-2015, 11:28 PM
If SUP want a challenge, perhaps they could retire, buy it and fix it.

That would be a challenge ;)

(TIC)

Robespierre
03-01-2015, 11:37 PM
A Las Vegas, Atlantic City, or tribal nation based entity to just make it an obviously gambling game, rather than all of the thinly veiled gambling on the down-low.

Maybe sell it to narcotics anonymous so they can substitute one addiction for another.

Pidgeot
03-02-2015, 12:12 AM

(TIC)

Why does this forum not support a thanks for this post function.

Paisthecoolest
03-02-2015, 04:18 AM
Sell it to Ferr

levelhead
03-02-2015, 04:53 AM

(TIC)

That would be a great challenge for them. As they would not be able to play the game. :p

Agent Orange
03-02-2015, 05:02 AM
Or have the inmates run the asylum?

Personally don't think a real gaming company would be stupid enough to buy it. One look through this forum would kill any deal.

However the point at which gree shut it down is approaching so my question would be what would it cost to keep it running? Eg cost of hosting and salary of a competent programmer to keep it in maintenence mode.

If the issues were repaired, the current business model of non stop events flushed down the toilet and WD ran monthly with maybe a 1 day in between would it be worth saving?

Ozymandias
03-02-2015, 05:19 AM
Apart from unbalanced stats, the issues are more than solvable. I'd be surprised if it wasn't still pretty cash generative now. The problem is trying to drive up margins too aggressively at the expense of player retention, and probably acquisition.

NexusImperium
03-02-2015, 08:08 AM
Well if anyone around here buys the outfit then I volunteer as Project Manager. I have many years' experience in Agile Software Development. Agile is my highest endorsed skill on LinkedIn next to Software Development/Engineering.

Plus, I have some ideas on sustainability and bringing new players into the game.

As the new Project Manager I would have the following short-term goals for Modern War:

1) Clean up and totally revamp the software engineering process for Modern War.
2) Obtain 90% automated QA/Test code coverage within 6 months
3) Reduce the number of bug-related tickets/issues by 70% in 6 months
4) Reduce P0 issue/bug turnaround time to 24 hours, and P1 issue/bug time to 48 hours
5) Reduce game login time by half in 8 months
6) Reduce game data usage/data footprint by half in 8 months

I'll require for my team:

1 Business Analyst having experience with Big Data or EDW (Enterprise Data Warehouse) experience. Additional experience with UX preferred.
1 mobile UX designer
1 Software Engineer in Test (Java & Objective C experience required)
2 Software Engineers with at least 5-7 years' experience (Java & Objective C)
1 Artist (could be a contract position)
1 Release Engineer (continuous integration, DevOps experience preferred)

The team would be based in a labor market that has high talent-to-income ratio, with low property taxes and utility expenses. I believe this market is in Utah, where property values/taxes are low, there is a high availability of talent (the tech industry is exploding there) and wages/salaries aren't as high as in other states due to lower cost-of-living (especially San Francisco - Gree HQ). I believe we could achieve success with yearly working capital requirement of $750,000 - $900,000 (not subject to data center requirements because I can't possibly guess that without more information).

What to expect for Modern War under this scenario:

* Stability, both in terms of events and user experience.
* Feature freeze. Initial efforts would be focused on game/event stability. As a result, the game would return to its core roots (base building, PvP, missions, etc) during this period.
* 1-2 new features per year after feature freeze and stability period.
* Less event churn. Each WD cycle would last exactly 1 month, and each cycle would feature only 1 of each type of event (e.g. LTQ). The LTQ would typically be 2 weeks.
* Controlled (very slow) deflation. There is a huge stat gap between the elite players and everyone else, which is a barrier of entry for new players. The goal of deflation would be to reduce that gap so the game can be more competitive and rewarding in PvP. Ideally at the end of deflation, stats would be in roughly the same range as it was in the Funzio days (with the very highest players in the ~1-5m a/d range). The deflation period would be about 1.5-2 years.

TMGCCPERCY
03-02-2015, 02:25 PM
Sell it to Ferr

+1 to this :rolleyes: ;)

Anyone who's willing to make the game about FUN, not GREEd!!!!! Less event density, more downtime for us and better QC, and the jobs yours (GREE included) lol... But with GREE going bankrupt soon, we the gamers can buy it cheap :cool:

Speed ump
03-02-2015, 03:57 PM
Nexus, Stats were not in the one mil range in funzio days, that was a good number of months into the gree era. It was aprox March of 2013, I was the first to several key numbers, one mil, two mil, three, attack and defense, etc, until the next wave of higher value le sets came out, so I remeber the time frame well. I believe stats were in the three hundred k range when gree took over. You would have to remove both units and boosts from inventories to achieve those numbers again, and that would be a huge issue. Better to keep the higher end from skyrocketing so much. At least you have an admitted goal of not allowing anyone to be untouchable. One question in my mind would be, why would the bigger spenders want to keep doing so in light of that. You're stating from the start that you don't want the spread as great as it is, and the spenders do so to try to keep the gap as big as possible, and feel that gree has done much to reduce their advantages already, certainly in comparison to the disparity in money spent by the top players and lower spending ones. Your proposal seems to makes that gap even less than it is now. I like that you at least have a plan, though I'm not qualified to know if your proposals are valid or realistic. I'm sure gree has a plan, but they're not willing to share it. You seem to want to be open from the start about the direction of the game with the players. I'm sure any idea will meet with disapproval by some portion who feels it's not benefiting them personally.

Naughty Toon
03-02-2015, 04:52 PM
Maybe they should sell the game and give us a shot with another gaming company. They don't have a chance to save it, they don't have the decision making capacity to turn this ship around. Hopefully they sell it dirt cheap to an up and coming or a consistently performing gaming company. Any ideas on who you would like to see take the reigns?.

Personally, I'd like to buy it. I have $50.00 bucks for GReE and then I will put in a few hundred thousand Australian dollars to set up and try and save the game haha.

A three toed sloth. .....a snail. .....a herd of turtles. ....anyone would do, they are all lightning like compared to the speed of gree support, whom of which I'm wondering if exists.

NexusImperium
03-02-2015, 08:55 PM
Nexus, Stats were not in the one mil range in funzio days, that was a good number of months into the gree era.

You're probably right. It's been so long ago and I had only been playing for the last few months of the Funzio era before Gree took over. Thanks for the correction.

You would have to remove both units and boosts from inventories to achieve those numbers again, and that would be a huge issue.

I agree that would be a huge issue, and that's not part of my proposal. People paid big $ for those units and they ought to be able to keep them. Otherwise, all other non-boost units would be set to very low (from indestructible), low (valor units), and medium (cash units) casualty rate. This, alongside the gradual reduction of unit stats would effect a controlled deflation. I'd also ramp up the valor reward (a fair amount) so active players can replace their losses and stay ahead of the deflation curve.

Because of the prevalence of high-stat boost units, raw stats may never get as low as I had indicated, but it certainly won't be (remotely) as high as it is now and any major gap that exists among players would be narrowed.

Additionally, I'd have the units coming out of the daily scratcher be _very_ powerful but have a low casualty rate. Also, crate units and master reward units would be a cut above the rest (with crate units being indestructible) so those who pay $ in the game will always have a neck above the competition. But some (via scratcher) will get lucky and might be competitive for a time, until their lucky unit(s) die(s).

Generally, these days people rate their progress in the game by the rate at which a/d increases. So, during the deflationary period I'd introduce a level or rank-based leaderboard that would tell you how you compare to your rank/level peers. I'd also revamp the matchup system to pit you against folks who are close to your a/d stats (and not level). That way you can punish your rivals and push them down on your way up to first-in-class. First in class players unlock access to special boosts while they maintain their high rank among their peers (for example, top 50 1st Sgt. players get -5% health regen while in the top 50).

On top of all this, I'd have actual, meaningful rewards and unlocks for reaching different rankings. The reward for obtaining 1.6 BILLION BP (Prime General) is .. 25 gold? WTF? How about 10,000 gold and a cash unit that only you can buy. Same for the other ranks. For example, Death Ops gets 2000 gold and a pretty nice cash unit (although vastly inferior to the Prime General special unit).

Better to keep the higher end from skyrocketing so much. At least you have an admitted goal of not allowing anyone to be untouchable. One question in my mind would be, why would the bigger spenders want to keep doing so in light of that. You're stating from the start that you don't want the spread as great as it is, and the spenders do so to try to keep the gap as big as possible, and feel that gree has done much to reduce their advantages already, certainly in comparison to the disparity in money spent by the top players and lower spending ones. Your proposal seems to makes that gap even less than it is now. I like that you at least have a plan, though I'm not qualified to know if your proposals are valid or realistic. I'm sure gree has a plan, but they're not willing to share it. You seem to want to be open from the start about the direction of the game with the players. I'm sure any idea will meet with disapproval by some portion who feels it's not benefiting them personally.

I think you've hit on the inherent flaw of this game, in the fact that it's not really a game. Hidden in the stats and numbers and tap-tapping is a hierarchy of gold. I think the problem is that players discover this early on and they make a decision that can go 1 of 2 ways: 1) Pony up and play the game 2) Quit

There's nothing wrong with paying to win. It's the payer's prerogative. However, the game developer ought to be honest about it, and the developer should remember that a non-payer base forms the foundation of the game economy, and this group is the group that the payers are trying to be better than. If you chase them out of the game, then there's no game left.

bam bam.
03-02-2015, 11:02 PM
I think this thread is going pretty well. I like most of your thoughts nexus. It is along the lines of what I have been spouting for 2 years. I would employ an economist to help with building a stability model that allows devaluing of accounts at a reasonable rate and stat inflation to remain steady. It is all doable, just needs a well thought through effort where all departments work together.

Mr llama
03-03-2015, 12:19 AM
Digital praise for what god intended

Annihilator2
03-03-2015, 10:23 AM
Make game playable. You gave already cashe unit. Now you have troubles to remove it. Gold, units, ranks, etc. are not needed.

bam bam.
03-03-2015, 06:05 PM
The thread is about which gaming company you want to see run the show but thoughts on how are not discouraged if you could actually see yourself as being apart of it

Mikelord
03-03-2015, 06:26 PM
Supercell... Nexus touched on some great points but I started playing clash of clans and it's so much more mellow and we war every other day... But the battles last 3min max and 3 min to tap troops to cook. A lot easier to sneak 6min of fun in vs.. 24/7 playing like gree aims to push

Brown Out
03-03-2015, 06:56 PM
Death Row Records

Makaran
03-04-2015, 04:06 AM
the stats are way out of hand at the moment, selling it will be pointless