PDA

View Full Version : June Death of MW

Major_Death
03-01-2015, 12:45 AM
I saw this posted in a tread.

It would seem as if the June death of this game can't come quickly enough.

I find it hard to believe MODERN WAR will finish in June. Does anyone know what it means?

ju100
03-01-2015, 01:03 AM
I saw this posted in a tread.

It would seem as if the June death of this game can't come quickly enough.

I find it hard to believe MODERN WAR will finish in June. Does anyone know what it means?

June 1st is the limit given by Apple to force all devs to publish apps and updated apps compiled for 64bits systems.
I don't see Gree failing to do so. Unless they want this as an excuse to end the game, of course. And hey, it's Gree...

[Edit]: we're not even sure version 5 is not already compiled for 64bit architectures...

Sheldor Sir
03-01-2015, 01:06 AM
the rate they are going the plan seems to be to alienate all players by that point won't be many left in Jun

Pidgeot
03-01-2015, 01:58 AM
If they fail to update, many will get refunds. Of course this only affects iOS.

Cuombajj
03-01-2015, 02:25 AM
It will live on on Android :)

Sheldor Sir
03-01-2015, 02:30 AM
enjoy it !! the silence from Gree is amazing but why am I surprised! have better communication from my dentist for annual check up!

Pidgeot
03-01-2015, 02:53 AM
enjoy it !! the silence from Gree is amazing but why am I surprised! have better communication from my dentist for annual check up!

I know right? They will call you RIGHT on the 6 or 12 month mark and dentist often have small teams and large amounts of clients.

Fergus14
03-01-2015, 03:34 AM
Modern War will live on. I'm surprised another developer has never taken it over as it's a gold mine which just needs a bit of renovation, love and development.

Agent Orange
03-01-2015, 04:57 AM
Modern War will live on. I'm surprised another developer has never taken it over as it's a gold mine which just needs a bit of renovation, love and development.

It would also need customers, do you think anyone will be left?

Fergus14
03-01-2015, 05:15 AM
Well it's still top 20/30 grossing in the App Store so thats a lot of income. Why would you walk away from that or at least try and sell it on?

mieyb3270
03-01-2015, 10:40 AM
You can't sell a lemon, unless someone wants lemonade....cheaper to create a whole brand new game/company and swoop all their customers away!

SunWuKong
03-04-2015, 01:22 AM
base on the community manager input, this game will still be around.

Helios Von Elisar
03-04-2015, 05:44 AM
A couple more 7 day wars and there won't be anyone around in June to notice...

groovy shags
03-04-2015, 06:31 AM
Well it's still top 20/30 grossing in the App Store so thats a lot of income. Why would you walk away from that or at least try and sell it on?

Actually, according to appannie.com, modern war is now ranked #239 grossing app, and falling like a rock. Down 16 more spots since last update!

Veccster
03-04-2015, 07:43 AM
239 grossing app still seems pretty good. It's not a blockbuster but it's still pretty popular and not a lost cause. With some good fixes, they could bring that up quickly (though I won't hold my breath).

NexusImperium
03-04-2015, 08:00 AM
My guess is they've already updated the game to 64 bit on iOS.

Dazzj10
03-04-2015, 08:08 AM
I think gree will close but more due to the gambling laws than the 64bit update

2MblaZ
03-04-2015, 08:09 AM
So perhaps some Community Manager and/or official GREE rep could clarify this please:

https://en.help.gree.net/faq.asp?faqid=16956&sugtype=3

According to this after June 25th GREE Services will only be available within Japan - doesn't say anything regarding 64-bit being a play factor, so perhaps some clarification from GREE would be due promptly?...

:confused:

Dazzj10
03-04-2015, 08:12 AM
At least we will all get our lives back after gree have hooked us and drowned us in events for so long

2MblaZ
03-04-2015, 08:29 AM
At least we will all get our lives back after gree have hooked us and drowned us in events for so long

Amen to that lol

legalious
03-04-2015, 08:41 AM
MW is not going anywhere.

groovy shags
03-04-2015, 08:45 AM
Look how fast that response was! lol according to GREE's own help link, all GREE services are terminating overseas. I hope no one buys this response! Lmao

Dazzj10
03-04-2015, 08:49 AM
Look how fast that response was! lol according to GREE's own help link, all GREE services are terminating overseas. I hope no one buys this response! Lmao

Amazing isn't it.
Shame they can't reply when we have issues we want resolved..
We can have threads 3-4 days old before any one gets a reply if not longer. But look what happens when it's something gree don't like

legalious
03-04-2015, 08:52 AM
Amazing isn't it.
We can have threads 3-4 days old before any one gets a reply if not longer. But look what happens when it's something gree don't like

I think you are all confused. I am just another player and not a Gree employee.

If you want I can comment on those other threads, though I don't think it would be for what you want.

groovy shags
03-04-2015, 08:52 AM
Amazing isn't it.

Yes...exactly! Because this info will cost them money. They can't ignore that! But player issues? That can last for weeks or months!

groovy shags
03-04-2015, 08:53 AM

If you want I can comment on those other threads, though I don't think it would be for what you want.

You just can't make this stuff up!

Rolinz
03-04-2015, 09:14 AM

So how about getting an official comment from a GREE Employee then???

2MblaZ
03-04-2015, 09:51 AM
MW is not going anywhere.

Ask your Recruiters for clarification, please: what they mean by 'GREE platform' - as that term means ALL of its games, technically, so if that's the case, after June 25th only responses will be in Japanese and services of those games accessible only from within Japan... If it's yet another blury statement got nothing to do with game we're playing, can some 'official' come out clarify this?...

legalious
03-04-2015, 09:57 AM
Ask your Recruiters for clarification, please: what they mean by 'GREE platform' - as that term means ALL of its games, technically, so if that's the case, after June 25th only responses will be in Japanese and services of those games accessible only from within Japan... If it's yet another blury statement got nothing to do with game we're playing, can some 'official' come out clarify this?...

I dont need to ask them. It is right here: Gree App (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.gree.android.app&hl=en). You wont normally see this app as it is part of the jp.gree.android play store. Look at the app description if you need more information.

This does not affect the other apps within the app store.

Clementine
03-04-2015, 09:58 AM
Please note that the App in question is produced by GREE Inc., located in Japan. - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.gree.android.app&hl=en

We are GREE International, located in the US, and we do not develop or publish this App. Furthermore, Modern War is NOT shutting down.

ezmunie
03-04-2015, 10:02 AM
Mods have already stated that Gree is not shutting down this game.

If any of you did any research on your own, you'd see that.

If you still aren't convinced, then don't wait for the game to shut down, quit now.

NexusImperium
03-04-2015, 10:09 AM
Goodness gracious folks, I'd say too many people around here are wearing underwear that are about 3 sizes too small.

I, too would feel a constant sense of impending doom if mine were that tight.

Dazzj10
03-04-2015, 10:18 AM
They don't need to suddenly close this game,, they are slowly destroying it anyway

2MblaZ
03-04-2015, 10:20 AM
all that's needed is clarification, that's all - thanks for clarifying as wording was weird, typically 'Platform' in terminology means ALL developer's apps, hence the confusion, now all clear ^_*

Thanks Clementine for clearing clouds over this :cool:

groovy shags
03-04-2015, 10:36 AM
Keep telling yourselves that. Yesterday modern war was #239 grossing app. It is now #253! Hard to imagine it's not in any trouble! Especially when a ridiculous kardashian fashion game is # 19! All data source from appannie.com

groovy shags
03-04-2015, 10:39 AM
And yeah...GREE international was in Europe...umm...till they closed them down 18 months ago! Also GREE falling a massive 70%+++ over the past 2 years. Just dewin research...as you directed!

beartrap
03-04-2015, 10:48 AM
What is lowering the game and overall look and feel are the ones that Post constant negativity and fight with other players. If you want the game to be better, then the community as a whole would need to step up and act like concerned adults and not like a spoiled child that did not get what they want.

Gaming companies survive when the community comes together with the company and works together. Pretty much like how Wow is supported by Wowhead and other information sources.

groovy shags
03-04-2015, 10:52 AM
What is lowering the game and overall look and feel are the ones that Post constant negativity and fight with other players. If you want the game to be better, then the community as a whole would need to step up and act like concerned adults and not like a spoiled child that did not get what they want.

Gaming companies survive when the community comes together with the company and works together. Pretty much like how Wow is supported by Wowhead and other information sources.

You just posted in a different thread that you have been playing for a couple months bear trap. You have no clue what you are talking about! But you will soon learn that nothing is ever fixed with this game. Enjoy it for a few more months! Ignorance is bliss!

ezmunie
03-04-2015, 11:06 AM
You just posted in a different thread that you have been playing for a couple months bear trap. You have no clue what you are talking about! But you will soon learn that nothing is ever fixed with this game. Enjoy it for a few more months! Ignorance is bliss!

You're just another troll.

groovy shags
03-04-2015, 11:08 AM
You're just another troll.

Just spreading the word. Troll, activist, whatever you prefer.

ezmunie
03-04-2015, 11:12 AM
Just spreading the word. Troll, activist, whatever you prefer.

You're spreading crap. Clementine posted and yet, you're still trying to recreate negativity.

groovy shags
03-04-2015, 11:13 AM
You're spreading crap. Clementine posted and yet, you're still trying to recreate negativity.

Posting facts...you should try it sometime!

Speed ump
03-04-2015, 07:58 PM
Post some facts then shags.

1brent1
03-04-2015, 09:58 PM
base on the community manager input, this game will still be around.

Where do you see this please?
I'd also like to see someone from Gree respond to this. You would think they'd respond the minute they seen this thread.

Never mind. Veiwung through phone, didn't notice right away the thread is more then one page

Annihilator2
03-05-2015, 03:48 AM
All Gree officials will constantly say that the game will not die independently on fact that this is true on not. They want that you will continue to spend real money.

Col C Smythe
03-05-2015, 05:07 AM
Hmmmmm.......

"Furthermore, Modern War is NOT shutting down."

Seems I recall Enron basically said the same thing.

Sorry, couldn't resist :rolleyes:

Agent Orange
03-05-2015, 05:11 AM
You guys realize that even if they knew for sure it's highly unlikely that they could tell us. And if they did tell us it's likely that their manager(s) would potentially fire them since that is something they are likely told they cannot divulge.

The reality is likely that at some point if revenues fall below a predetermined level then the bean counters will pull the plug. Given the track record of not listening to their customer base at this point there would be nothing you could do to stop them. One day you show up and the servers are gone.

So now what, well if gree listens better, and keeps trying to fix issues in the game then there is hope. If quality control slides even more then we certainly don't need any confirmation of immenent demise from the mods....

NexusImperium
03-05-2015, 09:30 AM
I agree, and I think the game is way too profitable right now to go away at this point.

And Gree ought to take comfort in that the players are basically telling them that we will keep playing if they fix the game's issues and stop trying to squeeze us for our money.

Dangle the carrot for us; give us something to work for. Stop standing at our backs with a whip.

Kefa
03-05-2015, 10:10 AM
Posting facts...you should try it sometime!

Here's a couple facts...

Today, based on the last 24 hours, Modern War is ranked 199th in revenue for all apps available for iPhone in the U.S., and #275th for top free game downloads on iphone. For iPad, it's 191st today in revenue in the U.S., based on the last 24 hours.

However, Modern War is not only played in the U.S.

In Great Britain, it's currently ranked 24th highest grossing on iPad and 184th highest grossing on iPhone - both currently ranked higher than in the U.S. when compared with all other apps available there.

Modern War's daily gross revenue fluctuates wildly. It always peaks during certain events, and valleys during others. Right now, a day before Frontline, is the lowest valley every cycle. Check the stats again in 49 hours, 24 hours after Frontline starts and post back then.

That said, there's lots of problems that need addressed, but an international corporation like Gree is not going to shut down it's highest revenue maker. You can see, they showed a big loss their last fiscal quarter, and are shutting down their original Gree platform games since they do not make them money anymore.

Source: https://thinkgaming.com/app-sales-data/33/modern-war/ (use the options at the top to select the different available platforms, countries and time periods)

NexusImperium
03-05-2015, 12:55 PM
Hauling in $10K per day (which apparently is a bad day) is enough to pay for a development/product team of around 15 people. I bet they have no more than 3-4 people on this game.

The short of it is this game is going nowhere anytime soon. It's making plenty of money for Gree and there's no way they'd shut it down. So let's rest the issue.

Locking this thread.

..where's the lock button..?

CC1
03-05-2015, 06:20 PM
Here's a couple facts...

Today, based on the last 24 hours, Modern War is ranked 199th in revenue for all apps available for iPhone in the U.S., and #275th for top free game downloads on iphone. For iPad, it's 191st today in revenue in the U.S., based on the last 24 hours.

However, Modern War is not only played in the U.S.

In Great Britain, it's currently ranked 24th highest grossing on iPad and 184th highest grossing on iPhone - both currently ranked higher than in the U.S. when compared with all other apps available there.

Modern War's daily gross revenue fluctuates wildly. It always peaks during certain events, and valleys during others. Right now, a day before Frontline, is the lowest valley every cycle. Check the stats again in 49 hours, 24 hours after Frontline starts and post back then.

That said, there's lots of problems that need addressed, but an international corporation like Gree is not going to shut down it's highest revenue maker. You can see, they showed a big loss their last fiscal quarter, and are shutting down their original Gree platform games since they do not make them money anymore.

Source: https://thinkgaming.com/app-sales-data/33/modern-war/ (use the options at the top to select the different available platforms, countries and time periods)

The graph appears to be a ranking comparison to other games based on revenue. Maybe I'm misinterpreting what the data represents. But, the two year history, while distinct fluctuations existed, was still relatively stable until about Dec. 2014. The average (mid-point) between peaks and valleys was relatively constant. Since then, volatility increased 250% with fluctuations to the low end becoming extremely pronounced while the high end declined slightly resulting in an average that is markedly lower in the last 4 months.

The volatility coincides with several issues. Increased event difficulties (energy, health etc.), version 4 lock-outs and version 5 equipment feature as well as now routine 60% gold sales (which maybe an attempt to mitigate the increased event difficulties).

Where is it headed and how long to get there? Who knows. If the anecdotal evidence of our team is representative of others similarly ranked, I hope you heavy spenders step up and spend more because every one of our gold users (only 17 on a team of 50) quit over the frustrations.

Kefa
03-05-2015, 07:24 PM
The graph appears to be a ranking comparison to other games based on revenue. Maybe I'm misinterpreting what the data represents. But, the two year history, while distinct fluctuations existed, was still relatively stable until about Dec. 2014. The average (mid-point) between peaks and valleys was relatively constant. Since then, volatility increased 250% with fluctuations to the low end becoming extremely pronounced while the high end declined slightly resulting in an average that is markedly lower in the last 4 months.

The volatility coincides with several issues. Increased event difficulties (energy, health etc.), version 4 lock-outs and version 5 equipment feature as well as now routine 60% gold sales (which maybe an attempt to mitigate the increased event difficulties).

Where is it headed and how long to get there? Who knows. If the anecdotal evidence of our team is representative of others similarly ranked, I hope you heavy spenders step up and spend more because every one of our gold users (only 17 on a team of 50) quit over the frustrations.

From my understanding, that is correct, the chart simply shows the app's ranking as compared with all other apps in that platform and region. In this case, the default platform for the graph is iPhone and the region is USA. If you look at it daily it will tell you the daily revenue in dollars, but you have to subscribe to the site to see that number historically.

I'm not making a statement with the data - just sharing the data as some facts for perspective.

Looking back a year ago the spiking and falling was definitely less, and also farther apart. Now it peaks every week and falls sharply throughout the week. To me it looks like it peaks during the 40% off sales and the events with which the sales coincide, and then sharply drops after the sale/event ends. Analyze what that means at your own risk, but for myself, I know I don't purchase any gold that is not discounted, no matter what event is happening at the time, and when I do purchase discounted gold I don't necessarily spend it on the concurrent event. But my personal behavior is unlikely to be typical.

Like you, I would speculate that total monthly revenues for this title are down from a year ago, but as to whether to consider that as a lasting trend or simply a market stabilization I'll leave to smarter statisticians than I. Also, I don't know if it's financially devastating for a mobile app publisher to have an app be only the 191st highest grossing app for iPhone in the US - maybe it is, but what's that say about the publisher with the app sitting at 300th? Also, of course, none of that means anything without knowing what it costs to keep it running. But, for now, if it costs more than $10,000 a day to keep operations related to MW up and running, they may be in trouble.

groovy shags
03-06-2015, 05:06 AM
ABOUT OUR REVENUE, RETENTION, AND USAGE ESTIMATES

Think Gaming estimates use data from public companies and anonymized submissions to build a proprietary model of app installs and revenue for each rank on the Top Grossing Charts, Top Free and Top Paid Charts. Please report any data problems.

Learn about our premium data offerings. Top grossing apps that contribute anonymized data to improve our estimates qualify for free access to our premium data.

The $10k daily gross for GREE is simply an estimate based on their estimation models from installs, previous purchases, etc. that is not an accurate number. And do you really think there are 56k active users? lmao If you think GREE makes $10k per day, then I have some great investment opportunities for you!

groovy shags
03-06-2015, 05:09 AM
And according to them, the Kardashian fashion game (rank #14) makes $108k per day! loooooool so if GREE is doing $10k in comparison within their formula, they are seriously in trouble!

NexusImperium
03-06-2015, 08:16 AM
I think the 56k active users is accurate within a few thousand +/-.