PDA

View Full Version : The not so comprehensive guide to Linking

Agent Orange
01-01-2015, 08:00 AM
Linking is actually a pretty cool feature in Modern War 5 and this might be the only way to access your account in the future once support for older versions of IOS get dropped.

On IOS linking is tied to your Game Centre account with Apple, in other words you need to be logged into the GC account you used when you set up MW on your device. There was originally a problem with GC not recognizing old Apple accounts (ones that did not use an email) on newer versions of IOS but it seems to be fixed now.

In order to link accounts you must be logged into the same GC account you cannot link between different GC accounts as far as I can tell.

Linking in IOS is pretty much automatic, if the device you are installing MW 5 on does not have GC set up you will need to create a GC account first and if you wish to link multiple accounts it must be the same GC account. Once everything is set up the accounts will show up under the Select Account button.

The 'Link Different Device' only seems to work if you want to link an Android account to your IOS device. If you wish to do this you need to have both devices close together since the link code is only valid for 2 minutes before it expires. Basically follow the directions, click on the This is the old device on the Android account you wish to link. This generates a link code. On you IOS device click on This is the new device and enter that code. The Android account is now linked to the IOS device AND still existes on the parent device. Also of note, if you had multiple player accounts linked to your Play Account all of this will be linked to your IOS device if you link your Droid to IOS! Same goes for going the other way detailed below, you can see where this is going.

NOTE that you cannot run the same account on two different devices at the same time!

On Android linking is tied to your Google Play account. The catch, your device must be able to access the Google Playstore and be able to set up app sync. This may not be possible on some Android tablets. But you can link these non Play accounts to an IOS device using the link different device button.

Linking the same Google Play account works pretty much the same as on IOS. Click the clipboard icon at botton right of screen, select MORE... Then Manage Accounts.

On Android you will have three buttons. Not really sure why the top button exists at this point since you don't seem to be able to link to different Play accounts (might be wrong) but the Link different Device will allow you to link an IOS device to your Play account. This can be useful if you have different IOS GC accounts and therefore cannot link between IOS devices. Basically this linking works same as on IOs where you get a 2 minute link code that needs to be entered on the new device. So basically I linked my orphan IOS account to my Droid which will be important if support for IOS 5 is dropped.

So far this is how it seems to work right now, who knows what might change as we get updates.

I think it is crucial that you back up the devices you want to link before you try anything, take screen shots of the accounts and even generate tickets that you can email to yourself in case something screws up, and perhaps an added insurance policy if gree suddenly 'fixes' something in an upcoming release that nerfs your accounts.

The other thing at least with IOS is I don't know what dire consequences resetting the parent device has on linked accounts. Theoretically there should not be any since the account is now in GC BUT given the number of lost accounts on IOS so that might be worth thinking about.

Good luck and Happy New Year!

Agent Orange
01-01-2015, 08:05 AM
Performance issues, forgot to add this. The bare minimum on IOS is a dual core device, so the 1st gen iPad and 4th gen or older iPods as well as older iPhones will either crash or perform very poorly.

Same goes for Android, I'm using a $49 dual core Hipstreet that works fine, the older single cores not so fine and the older low memory phones forget it. The Quad core tablet is better but more expensive..

Best success has been the iPhone 5/6, iPad 2 or newer and dual or quad core Droids.

Also keep an eye on data usage it tripled during raid boss.

pelle plutt
01-02-2015, 06:02 AM
Is it possible to move from IOS to Android using this method? If so maybe shifting between platforms would enable us to change GC account (i.e. move from one ios gc account to android, then from that android account to another ios gc account)

robilco
01-02-2015, 07:10 AM
Does this mean that if I link my game to Apple Game Centre, then delete the App, I can re-install it again and I won't loose anything?

(Trying desperately here to shrink my 1.8GB game footprint)

Agent Orange
01-02-2015, 08:19 AM
Is it possible to move from IOS to Android using this method? If so maybe shifting between platforms would enable us to change GC account (i.e. move from one ios gc account to android, then from that android account to another ios gc account)

Yes by using "Link different device", your IOS device is the old device, and the Android is the new.

There is one damger in doing a second swap, when I linked a test user with a different Play account it linked BOTH accounts linked to that user. So if this is to try and pass along an account if others are linked to it the other guy is going to get them all. However....

Agent Orange
01-02-2015, 08:24 AM
Does this mean that if I link my game to Apple Game Centre, then delete the App, I can re-install it again and I won't loose anything?

(Trying desperately here to shrink my 1.8GB game footprint)

Well it would appear that this is what happens, however I don't fully trust how this is working based on the problems we had with 4.5.x so the short answer is yes, however would I trust doing this, no.

Btw what device are you using, your troubles feel like they are because you are using an older IOS device since I had similar issues with the 1st gen iPad and 4h gen iPods. Unless you have under 1gb of free space, MW goes into vapor lock we you dip below about 500mb of free space on an IOS device.

robilco
01-02-2015, 08:32 AM
I'm using an iPhone 6 (transferred game after recent upgrade from a 4S)

Only around 200MB of free space on the device, which is why I need to clear the 1.8GB footprint down!

Been playing MW & CC for 3+ years, CC only takes around 432MB by comparison.

Random guy
01-02-2015, 09:02 AM
I thought I had plenty of land left in reserve but it's quickly becoming scarce.

Agent Orange
01-04-2015, 06:42 AM
I'm using an iPhone 6 (transferred game after recent upgrade from a 4S)

Only around 200MB of free space on the device, which is why I need to clear the 1.8GB footprint down!

Been playing MW & CC for 3+ years, CC only takes around 432MB by comparison.

Yup your troubles are caused by the lack of free space, on the iPhone I do all my linking on, it's redownloaded 1.2gb of data.

Agent Orange
01-04-2015, 06:44 AM

Yes linking IOS to Android works. I did try linking that IOS account back to a different IOS GC account and that failed with an odd error saying the code had expired even though it had not.

DEWIN NUTTIN
01-04-2015, 07:06 AM
Yes linking IOS to Android works. I did try linking that IOS account back to a different IOS GC account and that failed with an odd error saying the code had expired even though it had not.

Linking (iOS & Droid) can cause unexpected and unintended NEGATIVE consequences, if attempted by the inexperienced.
In fact, we recommend not creating any tie to Google Playin' You or Apple Game Junkbox.

These days, most tappers are better off creating NEW characters.....

Area51z
01-04-2015, 12:40 PM
I transferred original iPhone 5 account to my iPhone 6. Then established a new Apple id on iPhone 5 and created a new account. AND It still has the original wd account ..
So it somehow links up to my original Apple id and I can switch accounts on old phone , which I can't seem to delete original account from , but whatever account is on iPhone 5 will show up on iPhone 6. If new Apple id account is on iPhone 6. I can play it and return to my 6 account, but am unable to re-access the 5 account at all. Reminds me of that old baseball joke. Who's on third...)