PDA

View Full Version : Gold Buying Stories

Robespierre
12-01-2014, 10:59 PM
I figured we all have some pretty good stories about some of our gold purchases.

http://straightsilver.com/updates/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/gold.jpg

My particular story starts in the battle for France campaign. Enter the 10-crate event.

Using the free opens, I made it to 9 crystal Eiffel Towers, and thought "ooooohhh weee boy! Almost got that Rafalle Jet!" The draw of the 14K/11K unit with an air defense boost sure was a juicy prize back in September of '13.

I came home late after a happy-hour post-work went long, so I was damn near seeing double. I opened up MW and saw my progress. Bolstered by my liquid courage and with reduced inhibitions, I took the plunge and in-app purchased a stockpile of gold.

I thought to myself "I just dumped $20 to get this unit, so let's get tapping. I'll even have a bit left over to help out the team in WD." Then the tapping began: a bunch of concrete and crappy helicopters later, I was left with 5 gold and no tenth crystal Eiffel. What the hell just happened?

I don't think it was rage that consumed me, but rather the feeling you get after shelling out a bunch of cash playing a game at a carnival midway, you know the one that looks easy, but is obviously rigged after many failed attempts. I felt like a sucker, and that sting haunts me at every point when I know I'm being lured to take that extra step to secure those juicy pixels.

Then there was explaining the extra $20 charge on the phone bill to the wife...I felt like a dunce all over again.

I'm sure that there are some even better stories out there. Let 'em rip!

iamnasty
12-02-2014, 04:00 AM
TLTR☠.........moo™������

BrisingrBoss
12-02-2014, 04:04 AM
only 20??? try 200, 3000 gold and still not getting the last drop!!!!!

Spazer
12-02-2014, 04:05 AM
Ah, I still remember that event. I also had trouble getting that tenth Crystal Eiffel Tower. I ended up spending soo much gold to get that last Crystal.

Robespierre
12-02-2014, 10:51 PM
Found the Eiffel thread: http://forums.gree.net/showthread.php?68507-Spent-1410-gold-to-get-the-last-eiffel-and-still-did-not-get-it/page2

Ever have to make that explanation to others not playing this game on how much we spend? Friends/Parents/Spouses/Children?

sister morphine
12-03-2014, 03:31 AM
Once upon a time I didn't buy some gold. The end. :)

HellRaizer
12-03-2014, 04:10 AM
I used to buy quite heavily.. 2nd tier bonus.. But that was then.. But there was this one time at band camp.....

I think it was the pumpkin pies last year... It was a 25 crate event, paired with a prize for collecting 1000 crates.. There was a bug at the start that treated it like a 10 crate event, so I focused on the 1000 crates while support dealt with the problems.. I spent a few hundred gold on constantly attacking for a few days solid.. Took a bloody long time.. Eventually got my prize and by this time support/devs had fixed the open probability.. So I thought, what the hell I'll fly through the 25
... Well I got stuck at 8/25 and burned a vault.. Sent a ticket and got a response very quickly saying it was fixed.. I stupidly spent another vault and still stayed on 8/25.. Sent a ticket to support and it was closed with a comment of something like "sorry for your bad luck" ..

That was the last time I spent enough for the bonus program

mickymacirl
12-03-2014, 06:52 AM
There is no such thing as luck. :P