PDA

View Full Version : Temp Boosts - a different perspective

Kefa
10-07-2014, 11:42 AM
Okay, turn on the controversy, but after talking with some people about the temporary boosts, I have a different perspective - and it's a positive one. I have decided I like the temporary boosts in their current format, as long as there is an obvious way in the game to tell up front what is temporary and what is permanent before one starts investing toward them.

Here's my lengthy explanation:

Up until now, the game has really only had 2 classes of players: Big Spenders and low / no spenders. (unless you want to consider the top 3 teams as their own class - because, they kind of are, actually - "the untouchables")

Stat and bonus wise, there are those who spend enough to finish the events and get the bonuses, and there are those who do not. If you are one of the "do not", then you can't ever see the nice health regen, energy regen, or even big stat bonuses that the big spenders have in their inventories. For example, no one can finish an LTQ mission on prestige without gold, unless they have spent enough gold in the past to have those good + energy regen bonus units.

Now, think about it - the temporary bonuses are attainable by anyone who logs in and plays actively on a daily basis, or even semi-daily. So, these bonuses add a third class of player to the game by dividing the "not big spender" group into two groups - daily active, and less active. The low/no-gold daily-active players now have a way to go into WD weekends with higher stats and faster health regen than the less-active free players, while still not having the same benefits as the big spenders. Which, if you think about it, is actually exactly how it should be. It's a way to add a reward that separates more highly active players from less active players, just as gold separates the spenders from the free/low gold players. It's a solid way of rewarding the gold-free/low-gold player for being more active.

So, I vote that they keep them coming, as long as the completion of the quests and missions continues to include units with permanent bonuses as well.

tldr: Temp bonuses add a third class of player to the competitive part of the game, creating a separation between highly active, gold-free players and low-activity, gold-free players, and they are a benefit to the game overall.

backstabber
10-07-2014, 12:17 PM
Don't forget though, I noticed a HUGE EXPERIENCE increase in LTQs since they added temporary boosts. Targets on 5/15 prestige giving 24exp per hit, and need 7-8 hits?? I think I have gone from 192 to 197 since they introduced these bonuses...

Unfortunately, these bonuses are helpful to factions as a whole, since they may allow a few to get prestige finished gold free (like when the +3 energy will come out. With 60 active members, one can expect to finish prestige fLTQ for free). But you pay for these by increasing your level, having two downsides:

1. ****tier points in WD
2. Epic Boss is harder every tier, so you may lose out on 100 boss kills sooner than you would have before...
(We know Gree doesnt reward high level accounts for some reason....)

-Commando-
10-07-2014, 12:20 PM
Well said and I agree wholeheartedly. The thing that has to be fixed is in how the goals are worded. So far the designers have dropped the ball in letting us know which prizes are permanent and which are temporary.

Speed ump
10-07-2014, 12:46 PM
I'm glad to see someone understands that there are diff levels, and learn to maximize what you can within that level, rather than blaming the top groups for being where they are. There is still strategy in how you play events and well motivated you can get your team to go after and complete the goals that you can. Ok, so some of us eat and sleep this game, while others would rather use that time for other things. Neither is wrong, it's a personal choice, just don't blame the ones that do put in the effort as the reason why you don't achieve the same thing. For a long time I ised to be the strongest I the game, and one of the strongest for most of the game. Now I have not done Indy events in ten months, and I'm no longer at the very top, nor do I care. I fine that some still strive for that position, and I'm fine that I dont. I made the choice that the extra free time could be put to better use than building my personal stats.

Pidgeot
10-07-2014, 01:15 PM
The temp boost are nice but they create a whole new problem. That problem is GREE thinks they can give these temp rewards instead of giving rewards that will help a account as a whole. Why give +1 building upgrade or energy regen boost when you can just get them out as a temp reward. This is not the correct way to do this. They should also give us the chance to use these temp boost when we want to.

I would much rather have boost that stay with my account and not these temp boost.

I Will Merc You
10-07-2014, 01:17 PM
The boost are temporary....the leveling up is permanent.

Not a Faction event?....not touching it.

Speed ump
10-07-2014, 01:27 PM
I do agree about the temp boosts Pidgeot, from my perspective. Though if they only come from Indy events, they would have no bearing for me. I believe keys feels that they are easier to achieve for teams that are not spending hold, bs something they could never hope to achieve otherwise. Of this is the case, then I do see it as an extra for them. I was long ago forced to live with the points in wd at lol 300.

Kefa
10-07-2014, 02:27 PM
I do agree about the temp boosts Pidgeot, from my perspective. Though if they only come from Indy events, they would have no bearing for me. I believe keys feels that they are easier to achieve for teams that are not spending hold, bs something they could never hope to achieve otherwise. Of this is the case, then I do see it as an extra for them. I was long ago forced to live with the points in wd at lol 300.

You gotta turn off your spell correct, lol ;-)

Well, bottom line is, if you ever want to have a +1 building upgrade, a nice energy reduction bonus, or a nice health reduction bonus, you have 2 choices-
1. Spend $500 on a mission for a permanent bonus when they finally offer it
or
2. Spend some XP and live with a temporary one that sets you above all less active free players for the current WD cycle.

I'd love to have those permanent -20% health regen bonus units - but I'm never going to spend the $500 it takes to get one, if it's ever even offered again. But I'm very active as a player, so getting one by doing the first 4 levels of normal, prestige and master on a given LTQ and using it to out-score other less active players in the current WD - I'll take it, and the extra little ranking it helps my team get this cycle.

That is what I'm saying - it's just a way to place the highly active, gold-free player in a tier above the less-active, gold-free player. Which also translates to team rankings when a team works together. (oh, and we had to farm for RB folders anyhow, so the XP in the case of the earlier LTQ's would have been there as well)

Pidgeot
10-07-2014, 02:27 PM

I agree with that. I do like them when I get them. This building upgrade boost is going to be helpful since I'll still have about 12.5 days left of the effect and around 8 days after the LTQ is at 10 for 2 buildings. Its very helpful to me bun I dont want this to become a habit. I would like to at least own a +1 building upgrade.

I Will Merc You
10-07-2014, 02:40 PM

Well, bottom line is, if you ever want to have a +1 building upgrade, a nice energy reduction bonus, or a nice health reduction bonus, you have 2 choices-
or
2. Spend some XP and live with a temporary one that sets you above all less active free players for the current WD cycle.

I'd love to have those permanent -20% health regen bonus units - but I'm never going to spend the $500 it takes to get one, if it's ever even offered again. But I'm very active as a player, so getting one by doing the first 4 levels of normal, prestige and master on a given LTQ and using it to out-score other less active players in the current WD - I'll take it, and the extra little ranking it helps my team get this cycle.

That is what I'm saying - it's just a way to place the highly active, gold-free player in a tier above the less-active, gold-free player. Which also translates to team rankings when a team works together. (oh, and we had to farm for RB folders anyhow, so the XP in the case of the earlier LTQ's would have been there as well)

Very well said. An ode to the Team, and rewarding daily, active playing. Very well said. Great thread!

Why so Serious
10-07-2014, 08:52 PM
I've stopped spending gold, used to drop a few hundred a month to boost stats, help a faction here and there when possible, and get the goodies, but now with temp boosts it's completely useless and seems as though all that hard 'work' in the past has been undone by just a few recent events which I rarely participate in anymore, not only because I cant be sure what's temporary or whats not.. but really what's the point of taking time, dealing with the constant crashing, frustrating 'support', etc.. for all that prior and current effort to just get erased to do it over again. We spent gold to get ourselves above those that don't, yes the temporary boosts help those that don't spend and even the playing field a bit, but now there is no longer any separation between those that spend and those that do not. If somebody has never spent a dime can now attack and win against those that do spend, have gotten good stats, etc - where's the separation? Seems non existent to me if anybody can attack anybody. Playing so everyone gets a trophy.. woo hoo... Maybe that is how it should have been.. but changing it now, to those that did spend to get where they are, it is a huge slap in the face, especially when there are so many recurring issues that get overlooked / ignored, and is one of the many reasons why i'm going to nuke the base after next WD. Wouldn't want to sell or even give the account away, don't wanna put that evil on some unsuspecting soul..

Kiko Matsing
10-07-2014, 10:35 PM

or

Agree with you on this, last WD with the temp health regen i scored double my usual WD(from 40k to 80k) and i got 1 wrapper for finishing prestige with the faction LTQ (thanks to the temp enrgy regen)with lesser XP gain, that is by acquiring only the temp bonuses and energy refill at indi LTQs. Its all about how someone choose to play the game

Adm. J(K96)
10-07-2014, 11:44 PM
You may think it's all good now, but you won't for long. The bait has been cast, and now it looks like the hook has been set. Time for Gree to just start reeling you in.

Nothing's changed. They just moved the smoke and mirrors to fool you some more.

Hell, I sound like PJ! Lol

ptong
10-07-2014, 11:49 PM
i concur with your analysis and sentiment. its a good weeding function and gets players who do not want to level up at the expense of others in the faction to finally move along or stay behind.

Okay, turn on the controversy, but after talking with some people about the temporary boosts, I have a different perspective - and it's a positive one. I have decided I like the temporary boosts in their current format, as long as there is an obvious way in the game to tell up front what is temporary and what is permanent before one starts investing toward them.

Here's my lengthy explanation:

Up until now, the game has really only had 2 classes of players: Big Spenders and low / no spenders. (unless you want to consider the top 3 teams as their own class - because, they kind of are, actually - "the untouchables")

Stat and bonus wise, there are those who spend enough to finish the events and get the bonuses, and there are those who do not. If you are one of the "do not", then you can't ever see the nice health regen, energy regen, or even big stat bonuses that the big spenders have in their inventories. For example, no one can finish an LTQ mission on prestige without gold, unless they have spent enough gold in the past to have those good + energy regen bonus units.

Now, think about it - the temporary bonuses are attainable by anyone who logs in and plays actively on a daily basis, or even semi-daily. So, these bonuses add a third class of player to the game by dividing the "not big spender" group into two groups - daily active, and less active. The low/no-gold daily-active players now have a way to go into WD weekends with higher stats and faster health regen than the less-active free players, while still not having the same benefits as the big spenders. Which, if you think about it, is actually exactly how it should be. It's a way to add a reward that separates more highly active players from less active players, just as gold separates the spenders from the free/low gold players. It's a solid way of rewarding the gold-free/low-gold player for being more active.

So, I vote that they keep them coming, as long as the completion of the quests and missions continues to include units with permanent bonuses as well.

tldr: Temp bonuses add a third class of player to the competitive part of the game, creating a separation between highly active, gold-free players and low-activity, gold-free players, and they are a benefit to the game overall.

plavine
10-08-2014, 05:28 AM
As a free / low gold player - I welcome the chance to play and earn the temp bonuses - I earned an energy regen +3 a long time ago , so this helps more. Plus the health regen bonuses help a lot on the boss events and wd .
The only thing I would change is : when you get enough of something ( like serums), they should turn into other prizes , or make each serum a 1% increase . We all have use energy to get past useless serum prizes to move on .